It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

DRM-free approach in games has been at the heart of GOG.COM from day one. We strongly believe that if you buy a game, it should be yours, and you can play it the way it’s convenient for you, and not how others want you to use it.

The landscape has changed since 2008, and today many people don’t realize what DRM even means. And still the DRM issue in games remains – you’re never sure when and why you can be blocked from accessing them. And it’s not only games that are affected, but your favourite books, music, movies and apps as well.

To help understand what DRM means, how it influences your games and other digital media, and what benefits come with DRM-free approach, we’re launching the FCK DRM initiative. The goal is to educate people and ignite a discussion about DRM. To learn more visit https://fckdrm.com, and share your opinions and stories about DRM and how it affects you.
high rated
Oh, they have a history about deleting uncomfortable stuff, like those videos from their early days where they made fun of regional pricing and other industry shenanigans.
Once they had an endless lists of principles with corollaries, today you can maybe find some relics of that time hidden somewhere, registered by chance in something else.

That's what bother me the most about GOG, they're never straight forward and they swipe the dust under the rug. They think we are all idiots uncapable to recall things we read yesterday.
paladin181: GOG's actions SHOULD hurt them if they are going to go against the one thing that makes them different from Steam. If they abandon DRM-Free, they may as well close shop, because why would I shop at this broken, shitty store if they offer literally NOTHING that Steam or Epic don't already do better?
Elmofongo: But they are NOT abandoning DRM Free.

The vast majority of the game's library still allows for DRM Free Offline Installers.
See, just the fact you said "the vast majority" and not "the entirety" is troubling by itself, isn't it?
Every disease starts with a single patient 0.
Post edited March 18, 2021 by Enebias
low rated
Enebias: Oh, they have a history about deleting uncomfortable stuff, like those videos from their early days where they made fun of regional pricing and other industry shenanigans.
Once they had an endless lists of principles with corollaries, today you can maybe find some relics of that time hidden somewhere, registered by chance in something else.

That's what bother me the most about GOG, they're never straight forward and they swipe the dust under the rug. They think we are all idiots uncapable to recall things we read yesterday.
Elmofongo: But they are NOT abandoning DRM Free.

The vast majority of the game's library still allows for DRM Free Offline Installers.
Enebias: See, just the fact you said "the vast majority" and not "the entirety" is troubling by itself, isn't it?
Let me rephrase that then perhaps 10 out of I think 5000 games in the GOG library has some GOG Galaxy connection requirement.
low rated
Lifthrasil: As for 'it's only 6 games': yes, it's only a few games, so far. But the number is growing. And if you were in a vegan restaurant (being an idealistic vegan), which advertises animal protection and not killing anything, and there were just 6 dishes with meat on the menu, those 6 dishes would prove that the restaurant is not vegan. Just like the existence of DRM-ed game on GOG proves, that they are not a DRM-free store anymore.
If any vegan restaurant would ever be presenting you a 2000-3000 items long menu, you could bet your ass that there would be more than a few cases where someone in the supply chain has not followed the requirements fully even though what is or is not vegan should probably be far easier thing to define than where is the line between honest design decisions and malicious attempts to spoil multiplayer support with DRM...
Lifthrasil: As for 'it's only 6 games': yes, it's only a few games, so far. But the number is growing. And if you were in a vegan restaurant (being an idealistic vegan), which advertises animal protection and not killing anything, and there were just 6 dishes with meat on the menu, those 6 dishes would prove that the restaurant is not vegan. Just like the existence of DRM-ed game on GOG proves, that they are not a DRM-free store anymore.
JAAHAS: If any vegan restaurant would ever be presenting you a 2000-3000 items long menu, you could bet your ass that there would be more than a few cases where someone in the supply chain has not followed the requirements fully even though what is or is not vegan should probably be far easier thing to define than where is the line between honest design decisions and malicious attempts to spoil multiplayer support with DRM...
If I were a vegan, I would expect that restaurant (advertising itself as vegan), having been notified that a small number of items contain animal products, to do something about it, rather than bury their heads or shrug their shoulders and say "oh well!". In that situation, imo it would be perfectly reasonable for a committed vegan to complain and perhaps stop patronizing said restaurant.

In other words, the issue with GOG is not just that there are a handful of games on their store that have DRM - it is their attitude regarding it. The total apathy in relation to the issue that I find disappointing. It's clear they just don't give a shit.
Post edited March 18, 2021 by Time4Tea
low rated
Gudadantza: Delisting games? Absolutely not.

Stop users the option to purchase a new game in a DRM free and cleaner version? Deny them the upgradability in the middle of its updates life?

Deny GOG to compete with much better versions than others stores? Convert them in a convenient niche forever because a fundamentalist, subjective and irreal view of what DRM is in the Digital Only Gaming stores era?

Absolutely NOT. I suspected about the toxiticy and cynism of some users here but the intention and agenda is being more and more visible.

And do you know where is the main cynism? In the assumption that all of these GOG image attacks won't harm GOG in near future, and if they do, well, do not worry you will have the option of backup your DRM free games because you can.

And sorry but his is an insult to the intelligence of a lot of people here.
paladin181: GOG's actions SHOULD hurt them if they are going to go against the one thing that makes them different from Steam. If they abandon DRM-Free, they may as well close shop, because why would I shop at this broken, shitty store if they offer literally NOTHING that Steam or Epic don't already do better?
But GOG is not abandoning the DRM Free principle. And I am not going to explain step by step the details about it because that is the reason I am so angry about those liars, trolls and disinformants
high rated
Enebias: Oh, they have a history about deleting uncomfortable stuff, like those videos from their early days where they made fun of regional pricing and other industry shenanigans.

See, just the fact you said "the vast majority" and not "the entirety" is troubling by itself, isn't it?
Elmofongo: Let me rephrase that then perhaps 10 out of I think 5000 games in the GOG library has some GOG Galaxy connection requirement.
It doesn't really matter, even a single one would be too much for a store that proclaims itself the last bastion of ethics and built its fame on the fight against DRM.
high rated
Gudadantza: But GOG is not abandoning the DRM Free principle.
Yes, it is. They either have a principle or they don't. If they were against DRM out of principle (and not as a marketing gimmick) they would deny all DRM-ed games. And when something slips through by accident, they would do their best to fix it or remove the offending game from the store. As was done in the past.

What they have done instead is publish a game with a DRM-ed DLC themselves. That is a very clear signal that they are not against DRM anymore. It's no accident, it's no oversight. It's something that there parent company has decided and has decided not to remove in spite of customer protest.

I think, you don't understand what a principle is. There is a big difference between being against something as a matter of principle and saying "well, in principle we're against it, but we make exceptions".
low rated
Gudadantza: But GOG is not abandoning the DRM Free principle.
Lifthrasil: Yes, it is. They either have a principle or they don't. If they were against DRM out of principle (and not as a marketing gimmick) they would deny all DRM-ed games. And when something slips through by accident, they would do their best to fix it or remove the offending game from the store. As was done in the past.

What they have done instead is publish a game with a DRM-ed DLC themselves. That is a very clear signal that they are not against DRM anymore. It's no accident, it's no oversight. It's something that there parent company has decided and has decided not to remove in spite of customer protest.

I think, you don't understand what a principle is. There is a big difference between being against something as a matter of principle and saying "well, in principle we're against it, but we make exceptions".
What you have here is just personal childish and emotional hate about a DRM Free store. Just because some details did not fill your subjective expectations in 2021.
You consider that a DRM full store is more ethical (for agnostic or for not informative) than GOG because the sin of GOG was trying to be big and DRMfree and proud of it the better they can in this digital gaming world.

Ok, it is legit, get on and look for something better.

To me all of that is overreaction and absurd.

I can tell you a lot of pre 2000 games where the multiplayer is unavailable but nobody consider it it DRM or incomplete.

Buy it could be present in any of your demential topics about DRM. Why not? Some technical details need to be discused?

All of this is really disgusting and insulting. YEARS with the same topic.
Post edited March 18, 2021 by Gudadantza
Your premise there comes preloaded with the assumption that GOG cares about their original type of customers for whom that sort of thing is important.

Yet, all indications are, actually they don't. Rather, they appear to be taking a new attitude, and trying to transition to an entirely new type of customer base, one who GOG hopes will shop here because:

1. They care about GOG's slogan of "a curated selection of games" (which GOG pushes equally as hard as their "DRM-free" slogan) and

2. They care about Galaxy 2.0's feature to put all of your DRM-infested games in one place.

3. They care about Galaxy's 2.0 feature to buy all of your DRM-infested games in one place...which isn't fully possible now at the current moment...but possibly will be so in the coming months & years, once GOG signs deals with the other huge publishers in addition to their current EGS deal... like Bethesda, Ubisoft, Activision Blizzard, EA, etc., that allows them to sell their DRM-infested games on GOG via Galaxy 2.0.

Granted, that third point may end up being wishful thinking on GOG's part and it may not happen because maybe the other companies won't want to sign deals with GOG.

And most likely, their entire plan to transition to a new type of customer base is doomed to failure. By outlining it above, I'm not endorsing it or saying it's a good idea that will cause GOG to be a huge success. Rather, I'm simply trying to describe what their agenda seems to be, no matter how wrong-headed it is.

As for the news that the FCKDRM "campaign has ended"...that statement is almost as bad as the "many messages from gamers" lie back in December.

I thought FCKDRM was supposed to be deeply-held & permanent value of GOG, and not a temporary "campaign."

But I guess the revelation that it was merely the latter is just further corroboration of the diabolical new direction that GOG is going in. Note: when I say "new," I mean relatively new, as in it started within the past few years.
Post edited March 18, 2021 by Ancient-Red-Dragon
Elmofongo: The vast majority of the game's library still allows for DRM Free Offline Installers.
So long as you're OK with missing content. A lot of recent releases have some if its content hidden behind DRM schemes, like Stronghold Warlords registration requirement to get all skin unlocks.
low rated
Ancient-Red-Dragon: [...]
I thought FCKDRM was supposed to be deeply-held & permanent value of GOG, and not a temporary "campaign."
[...]
well, that was very naive of you...
Ancient-Red-Dragon: I thought FCKDRM was supposed to be deeply-held & permanent value of GOG, and not a temporary "campaign."
Given the direction GOG are going I think they have stopped that "campaign" to start a new one LVDRM.
Elmofongo: Let me rephrase that then perhaps 10 out of I think 5000 games in the GOG library has some GOG Galaxy connection requirement.
It doesn't matter the disparity of numbers, one game with DRM is still too many.
low rated
mqstout: So long as you're OK with missing content. A lot of recent releases have some if its content hidden behind DRM schemes, like Stronghold Warlords registration requirement to get all skin unlocks.
To some of us that's little to get overly upset about...now if it's more "serious" SP content(which a few games here do seem to hide behind such schemes, and which I hope the makers/gog address), then I can see being more upset in such cases.

=-=-=

ReynardFox: It doesn't matter the disparity of numbers, one game with DRM is still too many.
To me this is somewhat "fine"(tolerable) as long as such games are labelled properly so I know beforehand.
(of course I am more okay with it, in part, because I often buy said games cheap/used and then [totally do not] remove such things from games after ;))
(I also see DRM as a whole as not going away....short of a miracle....so I just deal with it as need be)
Post edited March 19, 2021 by GamezRanker
GamezRanker: To me this is somewhat "fine"(tolerable) as long as such games are labelled properly so I know beforehand.
That is entirely your call and a valid point of view. I think GOG openly transiting to a DRM-agnostic store with clear lables on the game pages which kinds of DRM the game has would be a better way for GOG than pretending to be DRM-free, lying and letting the users figure out which games are DRM-ed and which are safe. Such an open transition would still be a breach of the old promise, but at least it wouldn't be a continued lie. One of the reasons why I don't shop here anymore is, that I can't trust GOG. You never know what parts of the game will be DRM-ed when buying it and you don't know whether they'll add more DRM later. So, while my boycott is partially a matter of priciple, it is also partially a matter of trust - and GOG has proven repeatedly that they like lying to their customers.

As for the 'DRM-free' label (not directed at you GR), it's funny how some people are unable to grasp a binary distinction. Either a store is free of DRM or it isn't. Just like in food 'free of additives' should not mean 'we put a bit less additives in than others'.

Or imagine a doctor telling you: "Congratulations! You are officially cancer-free! ... Well, you do have six malignant tumors. But they are small and it's only skin-cancer. So it's not as if anything important is affected. No reason to treat them now! Come back, when some internal organs are affected so much that they are failing." ...
That's about the mindset of the people claiming 'it's not many games/not an important part of those games, so it's not DRM'