It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

DRM-free approach in games has been at the heart of GOG.COM from day one. We strongly believe that if you buy a game, it should be yours, and you can play it the way it’s convenient for you, and not how others want you to use it.

The landscape has changed since 2008, and today many people don’t realize what DRM even means. And still the DRM issue in games remains – you’re never sure when and why you can be blocked from accessing them. And it’s not only games that are affected, but your favourite books, music, movies and apps as well.

To help understand what DRM means, how it influences your games and other digital media, and what benefits come with DRM-free approach, we’re launching the FCK DRM initiative. The goal is to educate people and ignite a discussion about DRM. To learn more visit https://fckdrm.com, and share your opinions and stories about DRM and how it affects you.
nice. more attention is always good.

Lifthrasil: No. Quoting Gabe as anti-DRM is a bit like quoting Hugh Hefner as anti-sex.
isn't it the idea? totally in the general provocative flow of the page.
and, btw, I find this quote not quite anti-DRM.
most DRM strategies are just dumb. The goal should be to create greater value for customers through service value
most, but probably not all of them.
and, maybe it's my bad English, but it feels like this 'greater value through service' is what Steam with its social media rubbish have achieved.
so, this might be kinda out of context.

sad that GOG is mentioned as the only source of DRM-free games. it's understandable - nothing personal, just marketing, but in the context of the page looks kinda nasty.
though it's not a big problem and might be fixed easily.

what really bothers me that all this might be throw of a bone to die-hard anti-DRM old growlers before another Galaxy-involving trick.
sorry, GOG, with all respect I do not have complete trust in you. does revolutionary mottoes really matter much where long green and big publishers involved?
DRM only punishes the people who pay for it. Pirates always get what they want, usually with better performance.

With $ going crazy, games on somewhere else are 60-70% cheaper for Turkey by default. I still buy games on GOG, even tho that means paying triple money.

There were times we disagreed GOG and I foresee there will be more of that. But I love you, and always will.
Post edited August 21, 2018 by Engerek01
high rated
I like how the site doesn't display anything at all without Javascript, even though it isn't required for anything except the changing quotes.
Post edited August 21, 2018 by xyem
timppu: If you have any issues playing your Steam games DRM-free, no point to ask for support from Valve.
john_hatcher: Well, don't ask GOG neither, because they don't care to remove the drm in F.E.A.R. completely ... read for yourself ... https://www.gog.com/forum/general/fear_installed_securom_all_over_my_computer_does_anyone_know_how_to_get_rid_of_it
Maybe because inert/disabled DRM is no DRM at all. Useless example.

john_hatcher: And beside that I think that GOG could have done better things with their time thant making a site like this.
How about up-to-date releases?
GOG games are getting updates all the time at an incredible rate.

john_hatcher: How about a better forum?
Define better. Somehow you managed to write your diatribe, and hang around in this "awful" forum.

john_hatcher: How about no regional blocking drm?
Whatever that is supposed to mean. Region-blocking has nothing to do with DRM, and it isn't GOG's fault there are idiotic anti-gaming countries like Germany, Australia and South Africa.

john_hatcher: How about one world, one price?
Why? If regional pricing brings more (DRM-free) games to GOG, I am all for it.

john_hatcher: How about better communication with the community?
I haven't had communication issues with GOG staff. Their support answered my earlier messages pretty fast and were helpful.

john_hatcher: How about being more open about why a game has been rejected?
Why should they use their time for something that useless? They don't owe to tell you why some game is not on the store. Entitled much?

john_hatcher: How about DRM free multiplayer? Someone in the thread said something about an open source Galaxy multiplayer component. I second that thought.
I am for DRM in multiplayer, as it is the only way to keep cheaters away from the game. For single-player games, I am against DRM as there I don't have to care for other people cheating.

Now, tell me which other digital gaming stores do all those things you listed better, than how GOG does it?
Post edited August 21, 2018 by timppu
high rated
Kanashe: Holy eff this is some laughable shit. What I find hilarious is for all this DRM-Free crap, it gets pirated as well. Hell, one can just go to a local torrent site and see all the games pirated from GoG, thus rendering buying 'em completely pointless.
One can find DRM-ed games on torrents too. Nicely cracked. Thus rendering buying 'em completely pointless.

Tell me. If buying games here is completely pointless how has GOG survived 10 years? No one bought games from them (it's completely pointless) so what did they get money from? Selling lemonade?
mqstout: It would be great if that site included a and maintained list of articles (captures of, like PDFs, since articles disappear) of DRM issues, like the SimCity release, games like DarkSpore vanishing entirely, people losing their accounts, etc.
A murdered by DRM graveyard. Would be awesome :)
mqstout: It would be great if that site included a and maintained list of articles (captures of, like PDFs, since articles disappear) of DRM issues, like the SimCity release, games like DarkSpore vanishing entirely, people losing their accounts, etc.
It's hardly comprehensive, but I recommend checking out Ross Scott's coverage on Youtube on his Accursed Farms channel and his new Dead Game News sub channel.
low rated
Kanashe: Holy eff this is some laughable shit. What I find hilarious is for all this DRM-Free crap, it gets pirated as well. Hell, one can just go to a local torrent site and see all the games pirated from GoG, thus rendering buying 'em completely pointless.
ZFR: One can find DRM-ed games on torrents too. Nicely cracked. Thus rendering buying 'em completely pointless.

Tell me. If buying games here is completely pointless how has GOG survived 10 years? No one bought games from them (it's completely pointless) so what did they get money from? Selling lemonade?
Yeah, about nicely cracked as a bad burrito bought at a gas station. Since most of the cracks are either busted or don't work properly.

I dunno, get a bunch of idiots and suckers with their good PR or people who find themselves as "rebels" by supporting all this DRM-Free BS, there's also your local hipsters. An besides, how the eff do you think their games end up on torrents? People buy and then torrent 'em, simple.
You do realize that if you guys make a site called FCK DRM and use a quote by gabe newell is pretty much the same as making a site called FCK COCAINE and use a quote by pablo escobar, yes?
low rated
Kanashe: Oh, I know it didn't. I'm just saying for all this DRM-Free talk, it doesn't exactly stop people pirating their stuff either. So, I always find it funny when I see people talk about DRM-Free stuff as this some sort of holy grail.
hmcpretender: Well it stops people like me from pirating it. People who enjoy spending money for their hobby as long as it is a fair offer. And apperently there are enough of us for GoG still being in buisiness...
Okay, you want a cookie for feeling so special or something? Also, fair offer? That's a frickin' joke, since some of GoG prices range from feeling like a robbery, even when they have sales and makes steam look cheaper. Well, I'd say maybe a small group, def not a huge number despite how much you guys wanna paint yourselves as.
SirPrimalform: There's a quote from Gabe bloody Newell!

Considering he's one of the key people in tricking people into not caring about DRM it's pretty funny.
gOg release of the Half Life and Portal games confirmed!
Kanashe: I dunno, get a bunch of idiots and suckers with their good PR or people who find themselves as "rebels" by supporting all this DRM-Free BS, there's also your local hipsters. An besides, how the eff do you think their games end up on torrents? People buy and then torrent 'em, simple.
The point obviously went miles over your head. It's actually simple if you bother to think about it for a second or two: games get pirated regardless of DRM, DRM harms consumers by making it difficult and sometimes impossible to run games that were legitimately purchased, therefore no DRM is better for consumers and doesn't really affect sales. It's nothing to do with "hipsters" or "rebels" or anything, that's just something you made up for some reason.
hmcpretender: I found it very strange, given he is the man that made DRM popular...
Pfft. DRM was popular long before Gabe and Steam.

The real irony about everyone hating on Gabe for DRM is that Valve's own games don't use the CEG DRM in Steam. Their games don't actually require the client to play, once the game is installed. If you're on Linux, you don't even need the client to play Half Life 2, Portal etc., you can install it with SteamCMD, and just play it (that might work on Windows too, but I don't know. I don't have windows).
Post edited August 22, 2018 by hummer010
low rated
Kanashe: I dunno, get a bunch of idiots and suckers with their good PR or people who find themselves as "rebels" by supporting all this DRM-Free BS, there's also your local hipsters. An besides, how the eff do you think their games end up on torrents? People buy and then torrent 'em, simple.
eric5h5: The point obviously went miles over your head. It's actually simple if you bother to think about it for a second or two: games get pirated regardless of DRM, DRM harms consumers by making it difficult and sometimes impossible to run games that were legitimately purchased, therefore no DRM is better for consumers and doesn't really affect sales. It's nothing to do with "hipsters" or "rebels" or anything, that's just something you made up for some reason.
Uh-huh, sure it doesn't. You keep telling yourself that, trust me when I say a good portion of GoG users are either hipsters or so called "rebels" who consider themselves special snowflakes by buying games on this place.
Post edited August 22, 2018 by Kanashe
Like the sound of this though supprised at name but suits the feeling we have for DRM.