It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

StingingVelvet: My wife's a nurse and the weird thing to me is that both her hospitals are way UNDER their normal patient load
I've heard that about other places as well. I would guess people avoid hospitals unless they really have to go there now, so in places where corona hasn't broken out yet the patient load might be lower than normal.

Let us just hope it's not the calm before the storm.
low rated
babark: There's lots of information here (and on facebook, and twitter, and your memepages, and your uncle who knows a guy in the government) that isn't jokey, "makes sense" and is absolutely false- people telling other people to drink hot water as that kills the virus, to take antibiotics, to eat their vitamins and drink their orange juice to kill the virus, that's all very "common sense" information, that's absolutely completely false, and as a result, incredibly harmful in this situation (as in literally contributing to killing people).
Some of that stuff(the actual good bits here and there) would likely keep people safe from other things during all this, ease some of the stress on the medical system, etc.

(Like eating vitamins, drinking orange juice, etc can help with other things....thus possibly making people's lives easier and likely reducing the stress on the medical systems of each country by keeping some from needing medical care for other things during all this)

Also people need to use common sense regardless during such emergencies/situations....common sense and advice from those in the know(scientists, doctors, the common man sometimes) go hand in hand in such situations.

babark: I'm sorry to have to break it to you, and it's not a negative reflection on you or anyone else, but people who spend their lives studying this stuff know more about it than you.
That doesn't mean I/You/anyone else is 100% wrong on such things at all times, though.

(Also this is a fallacy...i.e. Blind Loyalty[that's not a dig at anyone....that's actually the name of the fallacy being used here])
======================================

StingingVelvet: My wife's a nurse and the weird thing to me is that both her hospitals are way UNDER their normal patient load. We live in a major Northeastern city too, not the middle of nowhere. She even got sent home the other day because there was nothing to do.

I'm not denying hospitals are struggling other places, like Italy and New York, but it's weird to me there aren't a flood of people at least wanting tested or freaking out over normal colds and flus. Her unit has 11 patients today and normally has 25-30. People staying home instead of getting checked out I guess.
Dunno where you're at, but here they are telling people to not go to ERs unless they know they have corona or highly suspect they do, or have some other major issue....and even with corona suspicions they are advising people to call the ER/etc first and talk with someone before even coming in(unless it's serious).
Post edited March 23, 2020 by GameRager
GameRager: [...] Like eating vitamins [...]
unless you have a serious deficiency, the only thing you get from eating vitamin supplements is expensive wee

(unless you eat too much and get poisoning....)
low rated
amok: unless you have a serious deficiency, the only thing you get from eating vitamin supplements is expensive wee

(unless you eat too much and get poisoning....)
Some in my country are deficient in some vitamins, though, and this is good advice for them in general, imo....especially if they have a crap diet.

Of course better quality vitamins would help even more, or maybe just better diets.
Alcohol works as an antiseptic and I plan on including tons of it in my diet to stay healthy. People who drink lots of alcohol are less prone to get infected by various diseases.

Just add some orange juice to your vodka and you're golden.
Post edited March 23, 2020 by user deleted
low rated
DadJoke007: Just add some orange juice to your vodka and you're golden.
One still has to ration it carefully(especially in some states that closed their liquor stores....like PA in the US) else run out, or WORSE: Appear drunk in public(much more noticeable due to the streets being so barren).
low rated
DadJoke007: Alcohol works as an antiseptic and I plan on including tons of it in my diet to stay healthy. People who drink lots of alcohol are less prone to get infected by various diseases.
I assume you're joking around again....
low rated
richlind33: A hammer isn't an ideology. Capitalism has a profound impact on how human beings interact with each other. Nothing else has a comparable effect, which underscores why socio-economics is paramount.

Humans may or may not be moral, depending on how we live our lives. When we place ourselves in the service of those who are amoral, we are not moral beings. Not at all.
Mafwek: Would you guys stop discussing ontology of morality on corona virus thread? Ffs, philosophy, outside logic is completely meaningless.
Informal logic is worth a hell of a lot more than a vaccine, m8. Ounce of prevention vs pound of cure. But don't take my word for it. lol
low rated
GameRager: Imo it's almost as bad(thought not as as bad) to blidnly trust state/govt sources as anything else without fact checking and common sense.

I suggest people read all non-joke sources and use common sense/checking with others in the know.
babark: Science isn't "common sense". It isn't something you can "feel good about" and then accept. There's lots of information here (and on facebook, and twitter, and your memepages, and your uncle who knows a guy in the government) that isn't jokey, "makes sense" and is absolutely false- people telling other people to drink hot water as that kills the virus, to take antibiotics, to eat their vitamins and drink their orange juice to kill the virus, that's all very "common sense" information, that's absolutely completely false, and as a result, incredibly harmful in this situation (as in literally contributing to killing people).

I'm sorry to have to break it to you, and it's not a negative reflection on you or anyone else, but people who spend their lives studying this stuff know more about it than you.
If you spent some time studying informal logic, you'd probably understand why appealing to authority is a logical fallacy.
low rated
richlind33: If you spent some time studying informal logic, you'd probably understand why appealing to authority is a logical fallacy.
So it was AtA.....I was going to say that but wasn't 100% sure.
=========================================

Also for everyone else.....some good news for some in Detroit, MI: A group is also trying to get a nationwide ban on water shutoffs, and i'm hoping other cities/towns follow Detroit's example with this during these trying times.
low rated
richlind33: If you spent some time studying informal logic, you'd probably understand why appealing to authority is a logical fallacy.
GameRager: So it was AtA.....I was going to say that but wasn't 100% sure.
It would be less of an issue if corruption wasn't as bad as it is. Everybody in this world is a mercenary, unless you're OK with being dirt poor, and mercenaries do what they're told to do.
Post edited March 23, 2020 by richlind33
low rated
richlind33: It would be less of an issue if corruption wasn't as bad as it is. Everybody in this world is a mercenary, unless you're OK with being dirt poor, and mercenaries do what they're told to do.
Speaking of doing what one is told: What do you think of the ID2020 rumors flying around?

(Some are suggesting(on the usual sites) that supposedly some companies will use this to push that through/get everyone to comply with it)
low rated
(Both links above have autoplaying videos BUT they are muted by default)
Some of the locals here are very adamant we need to close schools and close businessesgo into immediate lockdowns. Selfish.
DadJoke007: I've heard that about other places as well. I would guess people avoid hospitals unless they really have to go there now, so in places where corona hasn't broken out yet the patient load might be lower than normal.
It makes sense on some level, yeah. Though she works on a heart floor, so like... are people not having heart attacks anymore? Haha... it's just odd. They actually had her work on the Covid 19 unit today because her floor was so empty, so now I probably have it through her. Fun!