It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

sanscript: Absolutely! We should slam every bi-pedal humans into small containers for all eternity so they can never infect others ever again!
Norglics: I didn't say that , you are just acting toxic here... reported.
In other words, you report me because you don't understand sarcasm and just jumped to conclusions. Hehe, I should report you :P
sanscript: Absolutely! We should slam every bi-pedal humans into small containers for all eternity so they can never infect others ever again!
Norglics: I didn't say that , you are just acting toxic here... reported.
Because calling people ignorant and wanting them arrested because of arbitrary emotional reaction is not toxic or aggressive in the slightest. Projection at its finest.
Great, so now this thread is going pear-shape thanks to stuff sneaking in that has no business being in this informative thread. That's not why the OP opened it, so unless nobody minds it being locked as a result, could you guys take your issues and diverging opinions to the chat please?
Flyingfluffypiglet: Great, so now this thread is going pear-shape thanks to stuff sneaking in that has no business being in this informative thread. That's not why the OP opened it, so unless nobody minds it being locked as a result, could you guys take your issues and diverging opinions to the chat please?
This thread is about the virus and circumstances surrounding this crisis (but the v for vendetta thing I can understand)... and it's not going pear-shaped because of some minor misunderstanding.
Post edited March 20, 2020 by sanscript
sanscript: This thread is about the virus and circumstances surrounding this crisis (but the v for vendetta thing I can understand)... and it's not going pear-shaped because of some minor misunderstanding.
Am sorry but just reading the last few posts which no could well lead to further arguing, not to mention people not being able to refrain from bringing too much political stuff -which that alone could make the Mod decide to close the thread- into the equation, allow me to disagree with you on that. Can't speak for anyone else but am reading this thread to check on how fellow Goggers are faring around the globe, I sure could do without the bickering, at best.
kharille: People getting crap behind their backs for not wearing a masks. Funny thing is none of them are brave enough to confront the guy, who is under no obligation. WHO and CDC do not recommend masks for people who are not ill but people form their own views and the terrified ones hate it when people don't. Can't be enforced legally.
The irony is before this it was people wearing masks that would be mistreated even if it was for public good e.g on the train in damp stuffy weather.
Does anyone want to buy 6 boxes of quiche, a dozen scotch eggs and a hundred mini sausage rolls?
I misread the headline and thought everyone was picnic buying.

I've just run out of of toilet paper, and have to use lettuce leaves. Sounds bad, but it's just the tip of the iceberg!
Flyingfluffypiglet: Great, so now this thread is going pear-shape thanks to stuff sneaking in that has no business being in this informative thread. That's not why the OP opened it, so unless nobody minds it being locked as a result, could you guys take your issues and diverging opinions to the chat please?
Could you please take your own advice?

Thanks in advance!
My dad told me bitter lemon tonic has a ingredient that works as medicine for the corona. Sure enough.. I went to buy some now, and it's gone from the local stores. Maybe it's not bogus!
Tonic water. I think that had quinine which is good against malaria. Don't know the mechanism of action. I think I read something about chloroquinone going up in price today in the US. Not sure, I'd need to find a phd science paper to figure out something about the 'mechanism' as to how this helps.

Seriously though I would recommend a high protein diet. Antibodies are proteins and although you don't need much for maintainance it would be good to build up a 'store' of it. Muscle protein, blood protein albumin. That way if you get sick at least you have stores. I doubt WHO or MERCK manual for professionals will make such a recommendation, but its just a basic observation.

Woo, had a glance. Chloroquinone moderates an excessive immune system. Some of the dangers of the virus is that some people have an overactive one that causes lung damage. If we could take stuff that would reduce the immune system, that would reduce the damage which you can attribute more to the immune system than the actual virus.

Read about quercetin which is in capers. Now I don't want everyone to go run around hoarding capers but I read to some extent thats good for autoimmune disorders.

and some antiviral properties if you google...

: Quercetin inhibits viral replication at various stages:
blocks endocytosis via inhibition of PI-3 kinase, transcription of
viral genome by inhibiting RNA polymerase 3D POL and viral
protein translation by promoting cleavage of eIF4G. At the same
time quercetin also increases viral clearance by enhancing
mitochondrial antiviral responses. All these events together lead to
reduced pro-inflammatory responses.

Not sure if I should add links to external pages, theres a pdf and other links if you google quercetin and antiviral.
Post edited March 20, 2020 by kharille
People, use common sense. The virus doesn't care about your political leanings. Also look up information about the coronavirus and how it spreads and get your information of the well known institutes or people who lead those institutes (valid information can spread through YouTube on the usual science/med channels if you want videos, otherwise just look up your institution of turst via your search engine of choice :>).

I do believe that after this is over, democracy will not die in darkness, regardless of the pessimism involved (right now people are doomsdaying as a way of coping with the situation and a way to project a sort of change with them and their lives). My personal estimations when this is "over" are around July this year which isn't too long, but of course SARS-CoV-2 may take quite a long time to rot-out. At any case, at best its just a few months of a slower life and most if not all people can handle that.

Besides the scientists that tackle the pandemia, all those caretakers, nurses, doctors, cashiers, police and firemen, all those people are the true heroes and "the true MVPs" :>! Finally people appreciate these unsung heroes more (I've worked for a few years as a caretaker so I'm a little bit biased :D).

francksteel: *snip*
Nice post, nice to see people posting with some effort and sparking discussions.

Also note that the governments intention of slowing down social life is simply to slow down spreading, as the virus would be unstopable. There are some instances where I could posts some walls-of-text to explain how science might evolve a little bit due to the research of the virus (and how to "cure" it). We're not too far away from creating lung-cells, for instance. Also keep in mind that a healthy body partially has its ways of "fixing" some of the destruction made by something such as covid-19. Even if your lungs get partially destroyed (or "glassed" as some doctors say, because the affected lungs look a little bit like shattered glass), there is a good chance that even older people may partially recover, with some help.

But besides the so- called social contract and all its baggage, there are some things to keep in mind of the things to come. Let me count two, as an example.

First, right now we're observing the "best case" scenario of this pandemic, it will get slightly worse (its normal, there will be a spike shortly after "the curve" goes down so don't worry about it). So if the situation gets slightly worse, more people will see the gravity of the situation and will "willingly" obey the newish rules until this is over. This will also mean that this entire pandemic will pretty much slow down close-to-a-halt. However, the next thing happens if thats not the case.

Secondly, if things don't become better as projected (because of some unforseen consequence), be prepare to see more slightly extreme measurements, such as forced-curfews and stuff like that. Even more extreme would be when things reach a point where the economy wholly collapses as well and the army may have to intervene, however thats the worst-case scenario for any country involved with this pandemic and I don't see this happening.

I write this because people think that SARS-CoV-2 is a doomsday scenario (its not) and I don't think that shaming is an option as a sort of countermeasure case, because this projected scenario is pretty much fictional (even the more destabilized countries with less-then-equiped healthcare seem to take the situation rather well). In this microcosm of pent-up emotional beggage people obviously will seek out ways so they can vent, which they will obviously do. Shaming others or otherwise is just a way for them, with this in mind its simply autodedactive that drama like this will happen in one way or the other.

Right now, for the sake of the population, the best that politicans can do is not to imply extremism and stay nuanced (don't forbid going outside wholly and make exceptions, like many countries do) and calm (see, Angela Merkels speech) , even if some parts of the population doesn't understand this, its actually a good way to not create further chaos. Democracy can only survive if people keep their cool and many politicans and people understand do this.

Personally, I don't think 4-7% (the far-X leaning people politically) of the population can make much of a difference in spreading the virus. Even the very flamboyant countries, like South Korea (remember the 2016 protests and how the population reacted) didn't freak out. The South Koreans do seem to handle this crisis very well, considering that it blew up almost as bad there as in italy, they did their best of stopping a catastrophe, even if its not over yet.

I'm glad that germany did observe the situation that is going on in South Korea and they also seem to implement some of the things that the government did there. IMHO, observing how other country handle the situation with positive results in the end is a good way to save the day for your own country, as long as it sorta works from a cultural perspective (western countries don't like facemasks for instance, but perhaps there may be ways to include them with your culture in a positive way in one way or the other, instead of simply just forcing them unto its population).

I don't want to talk about everything in your post, because that would truely be a huge wall of text, but if you want you can chat with me and I can give you some sources and research material of whatever topic you like and we can discuss things.
Dray2k: I'm glad that germany did observe the situation that is going on in South Korea and they also seem to implement some of the things that the government did there. IMHO, observing how other country handle the situation with positive results in the end is a good way to save the day for your own country, as long as it sorta works from a cultural perspective (western countries don't like facemasks for instance, but perhaps there may be ways to include them with your culture in a positive way in one way or the other, instead of simply just forcing them unto its population).
I haven't noticed anything like "Germany observed South Korea's approach and learned from it" at all, if I understand correctly, South Korea does mass testing, whereas the German approach seems to be completely haphazard, with many reports of people showing symptoms which could point to Covid-19, yet being unable to get tested. And the issue with facemasks isn't that "Western countries don't like them", it's rather that there aren't even enough for medical professionals (something which was brought to the attention of Germany's minister of health Spahn as early as 5 February by industry representatives, but he did nothing), let alone for private citizens.
I don't want to get too political, but I can't see anything positive in Merkel's speech, the reality is that her government has already f**ked this up royally (one just has to compare Germany's escalating number of confirmed infections with Taiwan, South Korea or Singapore), and a lot of people will die as a result.
So much love and respect to China an Cuba for helping Italy. <3
Hopefully, slightly implying something political isn't against the rules and I've kept the universality of things in mind. Again, the virus really doesn't give a damn about anybodies politics :>!

morolf: I haven't noticed anything like "Germany observed South Korea's approach and learned from it" at all, if I understand correctly, South Korea does mass testing, whereas the German approach seems to be completely haphazard, with many reports of people showing symptoms which could point to Covid-19, yet being unable to get tested.
For instance, some german communities implemented these "test drive-ins" that become popular in South Korea. People are also talking about trying to make filter masks a thing, which is usually an east-asian thing and thats good for them as well (besides the psychological effect and that its also a easy way for kids to not touch their face that often, these maks are a good way to make sure that you have less of a chance of infecting others). Of course, on a country-wide spectrum, things seem laissez-faire as usual, its a german thing I guess.

morolf: And the issue with facemasks isn't that "Western countries don't like them", it's rather that there aren't even enough for medical professionals (something which was brought to the attention of Germany's minister of health Spahn as early as 5 February by industry representatives, but he did nothing), let alone for private citizens.
People in several federal states are ensuring that masks may be produced quite soon, mostly because trade of these masks has halted due to slowed down productions and suspended/slowed-down trade in general. I guess it also depends on what side of Germany you're living.

morolf: I don't want to get too political, but I can't see anything positive in Merkel's speech, the reality is that her government has already f**ked this up royally (one just has to compare Germany's escalating number of confirmed infections with Taiwan, South Korea or Singapore), and a lot of people will die as a result.
Only because a politician said something doesn't make it a political issue in its entirety. While these new rules of "social distancing" are rules that can be linked towards a (or any) political camp, its also a bipartisan/universal one, as long as you can argue their validity from several perspectives with nuance you can circumvent any political bias that may have caused the rule to happen in the first place.

Besides the political implications, I do not agree with people downright comparing the numbers of infected people of another country with theirs alone, as you have to look into the numbers of infected/sick people and perhaps even population densities while also comparing the amount of people living inside the country, which in turn makes a country such as Norway one of the most affected countries, even though they right now have less then 2000 reported cases. I think that Germany does handle the situation fairly competently but then again we have to wait for another week or so until we can observe just how much the spread of the virus has been halted so far.

falloutttt: So much love and respect to China an Cuba for helping Italy. <3
Yeah the solidarity against the pandemia is great to see.
Post edited March 20, 2020 by Dray2k
DadJoke007: Society is coming to a halt, everything seems to stop and people lose their jobs both left and right. How do you people plan to spend your time indoors while you ride out the storm?
Exactly the same as we have been for more than a decade.
sanscript: […] We can partly thank viruses for the way we are today (for those of us that think evolution is a thing) -[…]
We are all more resilient to the Black Death, for instance, than those who lived before it. Pathogenic DNA is extant in many locations of human (and other biotic) DNA. This is thought to be a natural process of incorporation.
morolf: […] There's a vaccine against flu which is at least partially effective. […]
There are many strains of influenza, like H1N1 (Spanish) or H5N1 (Bird), etc., and the virus mutates.

The vaccine provided to the public is determined by the health professionals for optimum herd protection for the pending season. (The last five years I have been immunized with the same two strains. Some years there is three or, rarely, four strains included.) There are multiple strains active simultaneously across the globe. So, if a strain that is prevalent in a country whence few visit is randomly popular, then that strain will be unaffected by the inexact immunity. All large international events like the Olympic Games are problematic in this regard.
morolf: […] until there's a vaccine (which can be expected in late 2021 at the earliest). […]
In addition to the vaccines being developed in the rest of the world (mentioned above), three scientists at the University of Queensland (Australia) already have a vaccine developed (last week). Now they have to test it and —— assuming it is efficacious —— mass produce it. Because of the existential requirement, this is more likely to be only three to six months, rather than eighteen.

edit: some syntax
Post edited March 20, 2020 by scientiae