It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Here in the U.S. Joe Biden is getting yelled at for telling people to vote in our primary election on Tuesday, but if people shouldn't vote... why aren't we delaying the election? We also have politicians telling people to support local businesses during this bad time, while Ohio and others close down all non-essential businesses. Such mixed messages, no wonder peoples reactions are all over the place.
GameRager: But surely they keep track of some who have been hospitalized with it and make note if they are brought back in?

Not to make an intentional dig at their system/etc, but they seem to be able to record other numbers somewhat well. :\
The disease takes week to run its course, at this point in time it will be impossible to come to any clear conclusions, at least in Italy.
StingingVelvet: Here in the U.S. Joe Biden is getting yelled at for telling people to vote in our primary election on Tuesday, but if people shouldn't vote... why aren't we delaying the election? We also have politicians telling people to support local businesses during this bad time, while Ohio and others close down all non-essential businesses. Such mixed messages, no wonder peoples reactions are all over the place.
There were municipal elections today in France and in Bavaria as well. imo a mistake and quite irresponsible to hold them, certainly contradicts public messaging about the gravity of the situation.
Post edited March 16, 2020 by morolf
Buff, this picture scary me, Spain goes to be the first country in cases, but keep an eye with UK too.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/ETLLZCdWsAA__3V?format=jpg

Looks terrible!!!
StingingVelvet: Here in the U.S. Joe Biden is getting yelled at for telling people to vote in our primary election on Tuesday, but if people shouldn't vote... why aren't we delaying the election? We also have politicians telling people to support local businesses during this bad time, while Ohio and others close down all non-essential businesses. Such mixed messages, no wonder peoples reactions are all over the place.
Strictly from a public health perspective, the voting should be delayed.
So hows it going for everyone today ?.
GameRager: I see they still aren't reporting re-infection numbers rates....I wonder if they are doing that on purpose? :\

(This isn't a dig on you or anyone else, btw.....I just find it odd they aren't reporting re-infection rates....seems it'd be easy enough to do while the systems aren't too strained)
Still none that I'm aware of in Italy.
Either this has never happened or it was too difficult to distinguish a real reinfection from a relapse.
low rated
https://st6.ning.com/topology/rest/1.0/file/get/4095325253

https://st2.ning.com/topology/rest/1.0/file/get/4095327384
Post edited March 16, 2020 by fr33kSh0w2012
I still don't understand; if the flu is killing 200 000 to 500 000 people EACH YEAR why aren't we closing borders each winter ? Over 10 000 people died from the flu in USA alone this season and it is no big deal, but just 50 people died from corona and USA is now completely isolated from the world and every event is being canceled. Why aren't we fighting the flu this passionately ?

If media reported EVERY flu caused death in the world there would be panic as well. How about reporting each of the 800 000 HIV caused deaths per year each day ?
Post edited March 16, 2020 by antrad88
Niggles: So hows it going for everyone today ?.
The sun is shining outside.

Our government in Slovenia said two days ago, they won't do any tests to people, who don't show real symptoms of COVID-19. So the reported numbers will be posibbly much lower, than it is in reality. Also, many people doesn't follow the "rules", at least here where I live. They are making meetings, etc. Today, many people will got to work, because private companies said, they will simply close their doors and people are afraid.

Sadly.

Also, we can no longer buy a protective masks, alchocol (etanol) and such, because this is primarily intended for medical personnel, civil protection, police officers, firefighters...
It took a crisis for my company to understand that what we do at the office can be done working from home.

Yesterday evening we had a second nation-wide round of applause in honor of all the medical professionals fighting for us.

antrad88: I still don't understand; if the flu is killing 200 000 to 500 000 people EACH YEAR why aren't we closing borders each winter ? Over 10 000 people died from the flu in USA alone this season and it is no big deal, but just 50 people died from corona and USA is now completely isolated from the world and every event is being canceled. Why aren't we fighting the flu this passionately ?
My government kept insisting that this was just like a flu and that there was no reason to worry. Learn from our mistakes.

The problem is not as much the number of cases or fatalities, as it is the timing and the overflow of the health system's capacity. If the hospitals become full (as they already have in some countries), they can't keep treating patients that need assistance, something that doesn't happen with the flu (as a vaccine already exists, different infection rates, etc.). So please be cautious and stay at home as much as you can.
ConsulCaesar: The problem is not as much the number of cases or fatalities, as it is the timing and the overflow of the health system's capacity. If the hospitals become full (as they already have in some countries), they can't keep treating patients that need assistance, something that doesn't happen with the flu (as a vaccine already exists, different infection rates, etc.). So please be cautious and stay at home as much as you can.
This. The same is true for all countries of the world. And some people don't wand to understand. Also one of our neighbours said, the he won't die from this virus. He is strong!

My father said to him: Pray, that it won't infect you.

The statistics says, that out of 100 people, 80 people will get over the COVID-19 without bigger difficulty, the problematic group is the other 20 people, especially the group that needs higher medical treathmen and if they don't get it, out of these people at least 5 can/will die.
op_2020: The statistics says, that out of 100 people, 80 people will get over the COVID-19 without bigger difficulty, the problematic group is the other 20 people, especially the group that needs higher medical treathmen and if they don't get it, out of these people at least 5 can/will die.
And that's all for today kids, come back again next week for Fun With Math. In the next episode, we will learn everything about linear growth and exponential growth and its relation to response time and how that relates to the uselessness of the cockroaches called politicians. Stay tuned!
Post edited March 16, 2020 by user deleted
antrad88: I still don't understand; if the flu is killing 200 000 to 500 000 people EACH YEAR why aren't we closing borders each winter ? Over 10 000 people died from the flu in USA alone this season and it is no big deal, but just 50 people died from corona and USA is now completely isolated from the world and every event is being canceled. Why aren't we fighting the flu this passionately ?

If media reported EVERY flu caused death in the world there would be panic as well. How about reporting each of the 800 000 HIV caused deaths per year each day ?
Not sure if this article has been shared before

But it shows the cost of complacency and "it's just a flu" mentality. We don't currently have an accurate fatality rate for covid19, because different countries are different (for example, Japan has a much older population, so maybe they would be affected worse). But it could be anywhere from 1% to 6%.

The article looks at historic data and makes predictions, but also mentions an interesting test:

Deaths from covid19 are easier to spot than confirmed cases of number of infected. The fatality rate of the virus is anywhere from 1% to 6%. So if you take the number of reported deaths, and extrapolate the number of infected from that, you get a number of estimated infected. If that is way higher than the confirmed cases, well...you'll understand why it is better to exercise caution and not have more social interaction than necessary.

e.g Wikipedia says that there are (as of the 13th of March) ~1800 deaths from covid19 in the Italy, and ~24,000 confirmed cases. If we take the 6% fatality rate, the number of cases should be around 30,000. If we take the 1% fatality rate, the number should be closer to 180,000.

It should be noted, however, that the article itself uses a much more scientific method, and uses historical data from Wuhan and other countries, and estimates the number of infected at much higher.
Post edited March 16, 2020 by babark
low rated
op_2020: Now it is time, to play the following games:
A Plague Tale: Innocence
A Plague Tale: Innocence - Coats of Arms DLC
Total Annihilation: Iron Plague
Entomorph: Plague of the Darkfall

GOG, when will you bring games like Plague Inc. into your Store?
Question: I know everyone is worried and(by all rights) one should be "serious business" about this worldwide situation......but WHY is this low rated???

(And also why are the ones posting other such things or so called "meme clips" of it also getting low rated?)

Haven't y'all who low rated this figured this is how some cope with this sort of thing(i.e. dark humor, trying to make the best of it while not making fun of those who GET it, etc)?

==============================================

They likely don't want to delay the elections as they might(hope i'm wrong though) use the elections to get their people/party in office by appealing to people's basic/baser/impulse wants/needs/etc during these trying times.

(Like how Pelosi seemingly tried to shame/call out Biden[iirc it was him] for calling the disease the chinese corona virus...likely to score PR points)
-------------------------------------------------------------

Also some good news: The govt might be(or is.....I will check to verify in a bit) cutting back on payroll taxes and some other measures to ease the burden on the poorer classes during all this, which will likely be of help to some people in the US.
================================================
Post edited March 16, 2020 by GameRager
low rated
morolf: The disease takes week to run its course, at this point in time it will be impossible to come to any clear conclusions, at least in Italy.
Fair enough......though on thinking about it: Haven't they had it over a week or so now?

Also it has some telltale symptoms so I assume the people who get sick again or others around them would notice.
-------------------------------------------------------------------

(I know, it seems like i'm being a stickler/nagging about this one point in general, but it seems odd that many countries(not just Italy) aren't reporting re-infection rates....which seems very odd/off to me)
-------------------------------------------------------------------

morolf: There were municipal elections today in France and in Bavaria as well. imo a mistake and quite irresponsible to hold them, certainly contradicts public messaging about the gravity of the situation.
Plus aren't there electronic voting machines or mail in ballots in many countries now? I don't get why they don't set up a website(secure as heck, though, to prevent tampering) or some machines in limited locations for such(to help prevent spread/etc) if they "must" do these things.

===================================================

argamasa: Buff, this picture scary me, Spain goes to be the first country in cases, but keep an eye with UK too.

Looks terrible!!!
It's likely due to China pulling a "madagascar" on some of their major cities and other measures as soon as they could, as well as other factors.

That said, you and everyone else affected by this are in my prayers(fwiw).

=======================================

dr.schliemann: Still none that I'm aware of in Italy.
Either this has never happened or it was too difficult to distinguish a real reinfection from a relapse.
My mistake(seems I wasn't clear before with what I meant).....I meant BOTH reinfection and relapse rates(as one figure).....and how I felt it odd no one seemed to be reporting such.

============================================

You wouldn't happen to have large single versions of each of those, by any chance?

If you do and have time to do so, please send them to me via PM(I'm making a scrapbook of sorts of news clips/articles/memes/political cartoons/etc to save for my own memories/etc).
Post edited March 16, 2020 by GameRager