It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

zeogold: It's a common trope for crickets to chirp when a bad joke is made. I was implying madth3's "Dropsy" pun was cricket-worthy. It just got silly from there.
MarkoH01: Never heard of this - I guess it's an american thing?
...wait, what?
I assumed it was universal. Weird.
The implication is that nobody's laughing at the joke, making it so quiet that you can hear the crickets chirping.
MarkoH01: Never heard of this - I guess it's an american thing?
zeogold: ...wait, what?
The implication is that nobody's laughing at the joke, making it so quiet that you can hear the crickets chirping.
Makes sense but no, at least here in Germany I never heard this expression.
zeogold: ...wait, what?
MarkoH01: Makes sense but no, at least here in Germany I never heard this expression.
It's not just an expression. In cartoons/movies/whatever, they'll have the sound of crickets chirping sometimes after a character makes a bad joke or poor performance.
Do you guys have something else for this feeling/situation?
MarkoH01: Makes sense but no, at least here in Germany I never heard this expression.
zeogold: It's not just an expression. In cartoons/movies/whatever, they'll have the sound of crickets chirping sometimes after a character makes a bad joke or poor performance.
I guess it is hard to translate but here in Germany we would say that the joke is having a beard if it is a pretty old joke everybody already knows or that the joke is very low/flat - meaning it is not very intelligent having a low level.
zeogold: He said he'd "pick up" Dropsy.
"drop" is in "Dropsy".
If you drop something, typically you pick it up (unless it's the bass or something).
Oh, my! A handful wasn't enough, I guess you could hear all the crickets in Mexico after that!

Yeah, I was aware of the cricket trope, it was the "handful" bit that threw me off the track. Thought it might have been an idiom or something. And after the "stuffing them in his pockets" thing, I thought that maybe he had expressed a dislike for crickets and you guys were tormenting him or something. Yeah, my mind's weird like that.

We'd understand the image in Spain (probably from the cartoons, movies and whatnot), although we don't have a phrase to indicate it or a genuinely Spanish image for it (or none comes to mind right now, at least). But there are other similar visual tropes that are more or less fitting for this situation, like the tumbleweed mentioned in related entry on TV Tropes (which apparently is not relevant enough to merit its own entry), or, veering into <i>anime</i> territory, the [url=http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/IdiotCrows]idiot crows and the sweat drop. DISCLAIMER: TV Tropes is an extremely addictive site that will ruin your life. Browse under your own responsibility.
Post edited December 04, 2016 by Chandoraa
zeogold: It's not just an expression. In cartoons/movies/whatever, they'll have the sound of crickets chirping sometimes after a character makes a bad joke or poor performance.
MarkoH01: I guess it is hard to translate but here in Germany we would say that the joke is having a beard if it is a pretty old joke everybody already knows or that the joke is very low/flat - meaning it is not very intelligent having a low level.
Think the feeling of the crickets is slightly different... doesn't have to be that the joke is old or that everyone knows it... just that it's so BAD in some way that not only do people not laugh it'll actually cause people to stop talking... almost like they're expecting you to say sorry.
MarkoH01: I guess it is hard to translate but here in Germany we would say that the joke is having a beard if it is a pretty old joke everybody already knows or that the joke is very low/flat - meaning it is not very intelligent having a low level.
JunglePredator: Think the feeling of the crickets is slightly different... doesn't have to be that the joke is old or that everyone knows it... just that it's so BAD in some way that not only do people not laugh it'll actually cause people to stop talking... almost like they're expecting you to say sorry.
Yes, I understood but I cannot remember anything similar people are saying her in Germany if a joke is very bad. Maybe it is just me and another German could help out here?
JunglePredator: Think the feeling of the crickets is slightly different... doesn't have to be that the joke is old or that everyone knows it... just that it's so BAD in some way that not only do people not laugh it'll actually cause people to stop talking... almost like they're expecting you to say sorry.
MarkoH01: Yes, I understood but I cannot remember anything similar people are saying her in Germany if a joke is very bad. Maybe it is just me and another German could help out here?
Probably.
Can I have that lonely Gorky 17 key, please ?
nevermind got it from trade
Post edited December 06, 2016 by amrit9037
May I ask for the Brazen prototype?
FWIW, there's a separate thread of somebody doing a GA for multiple Gorky keys.
Chandoraa: Yeah, I was aware of the cricket trope, it was the "handful" bit that threw me off the track. Thought it might have been an idiom or something. And after the "stuffing them in his pockets" thing, I thought that maybe he had expressed a dislike for crickets and you guys were tormenting him or something. Yeah, my mind's weird like that.
I never said it was a SMART reference. After the cricket bit, that was just me screwing around.
MaxFulvus: Can I have that lonely Gorky 17 key, please ?
Granted, although the donor wasn't quite certain the key would work, so be advised.
KoreaBeat: May I ask for the Brazen prototype?
Granted.
Post edited December 06, 2016 by zeogold
Could I have GRANTED?
bler144: Could I have GRANTED?
But of course.