It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

The infinity starts with history, and the history of games is painted in the colors of our childhood memories. Today we celebrate the 20th Anniversary of ScummVM and pay tribute to a group of people behind the scenes who make sure some of GOG's timeless classics work smoothly on modern computers!

About ScummVM

ScummVM is a program that allows you to run many classic point-and-click adventure games and RPGs on modern computers. The program replaces executables shipped with games and makes them playable on systems for which they were never designed! ScummVM rewrites executables but does not require emulators and complex setups. For many years, thanks to ScummVM, you can enjoy many timeless classics on GOG!

Check the collection of GOG games supported by ScummVM and launch your time machine this weekend with our special deals up to 85% off. The promo ends on 11th October 2021, 1 PM UTC.
MarkoH01: Unfortunately this is almost false advertizing from GOG since several of the games listed in the ScummVM Anniversary sale don't come with the actual ScummVM release here on GOG. Technically it might be possible to take the necessary files from the GOG release and install ScummVM directly but imo GOG should rather update those games that are missing their ScummVM version before doing such a sale.
eiii: I agree about the wrong advertising. But for the game release I actually prefer DOSBox releases as this forces GOG to deliver a working DOS binary. So I'm able to play the game both ways, in DOSBox and in ScummVM. Adding a game to ScummVM on your own is simple, getting the missing DOS binary, which often is not delivered with GOG's ScummVM releases, is a real problem. Pushing GOG to ScummVM releases removes choices and is bad for people which want to play DOS games on original equipment.
In my experience the ScummVM versions simply work better. However I do agree that GOG version should contain the full original game inlicuding every binary. What would speak again providing all the files and still use the ScummVM version. Afaik ScummVM simply need only a few files but GOG could still provide all of them and the ScummVM version would still work.
PixelBoy: Why would you even consider buying the anniversary release?
That's basically just someone taking ScummVM code, making very minor alterations, turning on some blurry graphics filter, and releasing the game as a "remaster".
Cadaver747: I bought them already, so I don't consider buying them anyway.
The answer to your question lies in attachment but you're not going to like it.
I don't understand the answer the attachment should provide.
Post edited October 09, 2021 by MarkoH01
Thanks for getting my hopes up... I saw Journeyman Project 2 on that list and though "Oh hey, that's finally out of beta?".
SOON™
MarkoH01: I don't understand the answer the attachment should provide.
I guess the answer is “for completeness’ sake”. Due to GOG’s incompetence, multiple editions for many games are handled incorrectly. E.g., buying Immortal Edition of Torment: Tides of Numenera doesn’t mark Legacy Edition as owned. Neither does buying the base game and Legacy Edition Upgrade. Thus, in order to have everything marked as owned, he had to buy the same game multiple times.
gibbeynator: Thanks for getting my hopes up... I saw Journeyman Project 2 on that list and though "Oh hey, that's finally out of beta?".
A new ScummVM stable version 2.5.0 was just released!
https://www.scummvm.org/news/20211009/

This version supports Journeyman Project 2, among many other new game engines and game versions.
Cadaver747: I have everything on the list except Simon the Sorcerer 2: 25th Anniversary Edition. I would rather have a bigger discount than 30% for a game which I already own (the originals were removed just because), but I don't understand why the first chapter is not present in the list, so odd.
The first one is on sale too, but not present in the ScummVM list. I found the link from the newsletter:
https://www.gog.com/game/simon_the_sorcerer?utm_campaign=wishlist_email_alert&utm_content=game_subject&utm_medium=email&utm_source=newsletter

If you own the original, the discount rises up to 50% when you add it to the basket. Hope this helps :)
[EDIT: uploaded screenshot from basket]
Attachments:
Post edited October 10, 2021 by Cymepa
JarJarRIP: I guess the answer is “for completeness’ sake”. Due to GOG’s incompetence, multiple editions for many games are handled incorrectly. E.g., buying Immortal Edition of Torment: Tides of Numenera doesn’t mark Legacy Edition as owned. Neither does buying the base game and Legacy Edition Upgrade. Thus, in order to have everything marked as owned, he had to buy the same game multiple times.
My thoughts to the most part. I wouldn't say GOG but the game devs. With some games I'd love to upgrade, but would have to buy the entire game again which I never do in the end. Like sound tracks and the bits. At least with Tides you could upgrade, but I'm not familiar with the title. Upgrade after upgrade?

Edit: Or upgrade and that's it?
Post edited October 10, 2021 by herkyman
Also, Crusader No Remorse got out of the promo page but it's currently 75% off!

https://www.gog.com/game/crusader_no_remorse
JarJarRIP: I guess the answer is “for completeness’ sake”. Due to GOG’s incompetence, multiple editions for many games are handled incorrectly. E.g., buying Immortal Edition of Torment: Tides of Numenera doesn’t mark Legacy Edition as owned. Neither does buying the base game and Legacy Edition Upgrade. Thus, in order to have everything marked as owned, he had to buy the same game multiple times.
Wow! Thanks for the explanation but ... wow!
gibbeynator: Thanks for getting my hopes up... I saw Journeyman Project 2 on that list and though "Oh hey, that's finally out of beta?".
PraetorianWolfie: A new ScummVM stable version 2.5.0 was just released!
https://www.scummvm.org/news/20211009/

This version supports Journeyman Project 2, among many other new game engines and game versions.
Excellent news!

And I wanna thank the whole ScummVM team for 20 years of hard work and dedication to classic adventure games.
igrok: I also prefer dosbox releases for DOS games over scummvm.
The beautiful thing about a DOSBox release is you can take the files and make a SCUMMVM version yourself if you like. SCUMMVM versions don't always have the right files to use DOSBox though.
PraetorianWolfie:
I have a question. What is the current status of Escape from Monkey Island in comparison to the last ResidualVM release? I was wondering whether I should keep ResidualVM installed or can move to the new ScummVM version.
Post edited October 10, 2021 by toma85
If all of the games in the linked collection are using ScummVM, why is Linux support missing for most of them?
Cadaver747: I have everything on the list except Simon the Sorcerer 2: 25th Anniversary Edition. I would rather have a bigger discount than 30% for a game which I already own (the originals were removed just because), but I don't understand why the first chapter is not present in the list, so odd.
Cymepa: The first one is on sale too, but not present in the ScummVM list. I found the link from the newsletter:
https://www.gog.com/game/simon_the_sorcerer?utm_campaign=wishlist_email_alert&utm_content=game_subject&utm_medium=email&utm_source=newsletter

If you own the original, the discount rises up to 50% when you add it to the basket. Hope this helps :)
[EDIT: uploaded screenshot from basket]
The 7th Guest: 25th Anniversary Edition goes up to 60% if you own the original
PraetorianWolfie:
toma85: I have a question. What is the current status of Escape from Monkey Island in comparison to the last ResidualVM release? I was wondering whether I should keep ResidualVM installed or can move to the new ScummVM version.
I am not really sure. It is still labelled as unstable on ScummVM and we have a number of bug reports for it, a few of which came from the merge with ResidualVM. If I had to guess I'd say that on ScummVM a few more issues may have been resolved wrt to the ResidualVM release -- but the game had still issues pending to be resolved.