It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

nightcraw1er.488: [...] deals like steam getting 60% off KoA reshading etc. [...]
amok: when was that? I have not seen KoA for 60% off on Steam?
At release. Steam already had the original, and those who brought that got an extra 50% off. Here we did not get the original, and they refused to give the 50% off because the original was not here. So we lost out both ways, and they refused to even look at methods of running checks so users could get that discount.
toma85: Alternative: the word "DRM-free" should be removed everywhere.
GamesRater: Or: Everyone could maybe stop getting worrying over such things and just let people buy and play what they want while doing the same themselves....just a thought.
So let me check. You are ok with there being a two tier system where those who want drm free are second class customers? You are happy with GOG loudly proclaiming across the internet how they are against drm, and yet now sell drm’d games. And your happy that galaxy is no so foundational to gogs existence that there really isn’t anything but that? And your happy that someone like epic, who could just buy GOG for the old games market share now has its claws in?
Post edited October 02, 2020 by nightcraw1er.488
low rated
amok: when was that? I have not seen KoA for 60% off on Steam?
nightcraw1er.488: At release. Steam already had the original, and those who brought that got an extra 50% off. Here Cruise for a Corpse e did not get the original, and they refused to give the 50% off because the original was not here. So we lost out both ways, and they refused to even look at methods of running checks so users could get that discount.
I see, so the people who already owned it at steam got a discount. I have it at Origin, and so I never did get a discount.

KoA was never sold here, so impossible to provide the same discount, and it was not possible to verify ownership. To be honest, this seems fair to me, and creating s system just to verify if you own the game or not just for having a -50% of a game seems like it is not worth the development time it would take. Not sure what the problem is here

It is also not correct that steam had 60% off KoA (or even 50% as you say now) , it only applied to those who already owned the game there before. I, for example, did not have that discount. Nor anyone else who had not bought it on Steam before
For those who miss times when you didn't need to have a GOG client software to buy games which need Epic client software to run:

Marcin Iwinski:
"I would feel much safer if I could download all my games and play them off-line without running a client application first, without accessing the Internet."

http://www.giantbomb.com/articles/cd-projekt-red-waves-goodbye-to-drm/1100-4783/
PixelBoy: For those who miss times when you didn't need to have a GOG client software to buy games which need Epic client software to run:

Marcin Iwinski:
"I would feel much safer if I could download all my games and play them off-line without running a client application first, without accessing the Internet."
A blast from the past. Meow.
Post edited October 02, 2020 by clarry
low rated
nightcraw1er.488: So let me check. You are ok with there being a two tier system where those who want drm free are second class customers?
1. It's on galaxy only, a client you and others likely won't ever use...not the main site or store.
2. It's EPIC games being sold through the galaxy client, not GOG games.

nightcraw1er.488: You are happy with GOG loudly proclaiming across the internet how they are against drm, and yet now sell drm’d games.
Technically it's more epic being allowed to sell them on the galaxy client only, not GOG selling them.

And i'm not happy or mad about it....I just don't care much one way or the other....I also let people enjoy what they want and hope they'd do the same in kind, and only worry when there's reason to do so.
high rated
nightcraw1er.488: So let me check. You are ok with there being a two tier system where those who want drm free are second class customers?
GamesRater: 1. It's on galaxy only, a client you and others likely won't ever use...not the main site or store.

nightcraw1er.488: You are happy with GOG loudly proclaiming across the internet how they are against drm, and yet now sell drm’d games.
GamesRater: Technically it's more epic being allowed to sell them on the galaxy client only, not GOG selling them.

And i'm not happy or mad about it....I just don't care much one way or the other....I also let people enjoy what they want and hope they'd do the same in kind, and only worry when there's reason to do so.
What incentive do devs have in making a DRM-free version of a game available on GOG when they can access the GOG userbase through Galaxy?
You might not care about DRM, but many who support GOG do..
low rated
PixelBoy: Marcin Iwinski:
Nice find/quote.....btw: I would maybe be willing to give a dollar to anyone who can find the contradiction in the statement...any takers?

====================

Vendor-Lazarus: What incentive do devs have in making a DRM-free version of a game available on GOG when they can access the GOG userbase through Galaxy?
The same one which caused the ones that did so to come to GOG at all: more money/sales/word of mouth from customers here.....i.e. they can't access the entire userbase and our purchasing power if they went galaxy only as not all of us use galaxy.

Sidenote: Now I am wondering if they have to make a version for the offline installers, or let GOG make one from the files they provide, as part of the contract they work out with gog.

Vendor-Lazarus: You might not care about DRM, but many who support GOG do..
This is a false equivalence: I am ok with this, so I must be ok with DRM

I care, and am not a fan of DRM......I just don't see this as the end of days or drm free on GOG like some seem to and refuse to fall prey to panic and worry.
Post edited October 02, 2020 by GamesRater
GamesRater: 1. It's on galaxy only, a client you and others likely won't ever use...not the main site or store.

GamesRater: Technically it's more epic being allowed to sell them on the galaxy client only, not GOG selling them.

You said it yourself, it’s galaxy only, hence two tier system. Gog are making money off drm products. Also, why would any game from epic now appear here for drm free users if it’s already available here via galaxy. Therefore we have all lost access to anything released on epic.
C++ interview quiz - spot the error(s) in the following sample program:

#include <string>

bool is_drm_free(const std::string& name)
{
return (name == "GOG");
}

int main(int argc, char** argv)
{
bool ok = is_drm_free("Epic"); //ok is false
ok = is_drm_free("GOG"); //ok is true
ok = is_drm_free("Steam"); //ok is false
return 0;
}
nightcraw1er.488: At release. Steam already had the original, and those who brought that got an extra 50% off. Here Cruise for a Corpse e did not get the original, and they refused to give the 50% off because the original was not here. So we lost out both ways, and they refused to even look at methods of running checks so users could get that discount.
amok: I see, so the people who already owned it at steam got a discount. I have it at Origin, and so I never did get a discount.

KoA was never sold here, so impossible to provide the same discount, and it was not possible to verify ownership. To be honest, this seems fair to me, and creating s system just to verify if you own the game or not just for having a -50% of a game seems like it is not worth the development time it would take. Not sure what the problem is here

It is also not correct that steam had 60% off KoA (or even 50% as you say now) , it only applied to those who already owned the game there before. I, for example, did not have that discount. Nor anyone else who had not bought it on Steam before
It was possible to check, several options were given in threads at the time. Second it is irrelevant, what is relevant is that we on gog did not get the Pringles nor got the discount, so we have lost out twice. Preventing access to the original game is not an reason for charging double for other groups. Not sure why that is so hard to understand, it’s simple, we got screwed twice.
PixelBoy: Marcin Iwinski:
GamesRater: Nice find/quote.....btw: I would maybe be willing to give a dollar to anyone who can find the contradiction in the statement...any takers?

====================

Vendor-Lazarus: What incentive do devs have in making a DRM-free version of a game available on GOG when they can access the GOG userbase through Galaxy?
GamesRater: The same one which caused the ones that did so to come to GOG at all: more money/sales/word of mouth from customers here.....i.e. they can't access the entire userbase and our purchasing power if they went galaxy only as not all of us use galaxy.

Sidenote: Now I am wondering if they have to make a version for the offline installers, or let GOG make one from the files they provide, as part of the contract they work out with gog.

Vendor-Lazarus: You might not care about DRM, but many who support GOG do..
GamesRater: This is a false equivalence: I am ok with this, so I must be ok with DRM

I care, and am not a fan of DRM......I just don't see this as the end of days or drm free on GOG like some seem to and refuse to fall prey to panic and worry.
Games from epic require the epic client to run, there will be no offline installers for them. It is only for the drm platform.
Post edited October 02, 2020 by nightcraw1er.488
low rated
nightcraw1er.488: Also, why would any game from epic now appear here for drm free users if it’s already available here via galaxy.
As said to lazarus: one reason would be to make money from the rest of us who don't use and won't touch galaxy or Epic.

nightcraw1er.488: Therefore we have all lost access to anything released on epic.
It sucks when people cannot have fun with some things the way others can.

That said, a small nitpick: No one has lost access to anything.....some have cut themselves off from some things due to how they feel about using such things, but no one has lost access to such. People could still access those things as long as they could afford them on said platforms....they just choose not to.

nightcraw1er.488: Games from epic require the epic client to run, there will be no offline installers for them. It is only for the drm platform.
By offline installers I meant for the game versions devs sell on GOG, not epic.
Post edited October 02, 2020 by GamesRater
high rated
nightcraw1er.488: Also, why would any game from epic now appear here for drm free users if it’s already available here via galaxy.
GamesRater: As said to lazarus: one reason would be to make money from the rest of us who don't use and won't touch galaxy or Epic.

nightcraw1er.488: Therefore we have all lost access to anything released on epic.
GamesRater: It sucks when people cannot have fun with some things the way others can.

That said, a small nitpick: No one has lost access to anything.....some have cut themselves off from some things due to how they feel about using such things, but no one has lost access to such. People could still access those things as long as they could afford them on said platforms....they just choose not to.
You are deliberately missing the point though. Drm free store has drm free customers, saying they have access to the products even though that goes against what they believe doesn’t make it available to them. What it means is before, there was a chance that we would have got a drm free copy of outer worlds, which the drm free audience could have brought, now, there is no need as its available on epic, but those who don’t support drm will not buy it there.
high rated
Well, I already decided not to buy here anymore following GOG's refusal to fix this:
https://www.gog.com/forum/general/no_mans_sky_isnt_fully_drmfree/page1

But that they now start to openly sell DRM-ed games just confirms that that decision was correct. And that this was the way GOG has been heading for a long time. DRM-free was a nice gimmick to get the store started. But for a long time it has become something that GOG wanted to get rid off. Step by step.

Basically GOG made themselves irrelevant. There is no reason anymore to buy here and not on Steam or Epic. If one is willing to accept DRM, buying here isn't necessary anymore. And if one isn't willing to accept DRM, one has to move away from here to stores that still are DRM-free.
amok: KoA was never sold here, so impossible to provide the same discount, and it was not possible to verify ownership. To be honest, this seems fair to me, and creating s system just to verify if you own the game or not just for having a -50% of a game seems like it is not worth the development time it would take.
Then again, from all that I gather here, doesn't Galaxy already aim to be that system? I don't use Galaxy, so I'm not sure if you can connect your Origin account with it, but if you can, along with your Steam/Epic/Uplay whatever account, wouldn't that be a way to verify ownership of games on other stores?
low rated
nightcraw1er.488: Drm free store has drm free customers, saying they have access to the products even though that goes against what they believe doesn’t make it available to them.
I got what you meant, I just think you and I are not talking about the same kind of "available".

If one could buy something, but choose not to due to morals/stances/etc, then yes....it is technically available to them(as in available to buy).....they just make the conscious choice not to partake, although they could do so at any time had they the funds and means to obtain said products(in this case a connection to DL such products, etc).