It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Our guide to a world of awesome game reviews

Game reviews are important. They help developers get direct feedback on their games, and as gamers they help us make an informed purchase or share our thoughts. Writing a quality review carries a certain responsibility: to do good by both the game and the community. Striking that perfect balance is a challenge, a delicate art that we want to promote.

Next time you're about to write a review, you'll see our simple suggestions for crafting a top-notch review. You can always revisit them from the review form as well.

Focus on your in-game experience: if you have general feedback or need tech support, contact us!
Avoid politics and drama: let the game stand on its own merits.
Critique responsibly: whether it's positive or negative, a great review should be helpful and informative.

We hope that these three essential guidelines will help make GOG.com reviews even more awesome than they already are, but we also don't want to stop there!

CONTEST: REVIEW OF THE MONTH

Together with our friends at ROCCAT we venture to encourage and reward the best reviews on GOG.com – and to that end, we are introducing our monthly Review of the Month contest!

Submit your review for any game (or games!) released on GOG.com between May 1 and May 31, 2016. This time around, the grand prize is the RENGA gaming headset, courtesy of ROCCAT.

Here's what you need to know:

—Once you've posted your review, submit it for consideration by also quoting it in this post's forum thread.
—Keep the review guidelines in mind. A good review can be both entertaining and informative, it can be brief or extensive. It doesn't need to be positive in its overall assessment of the game - as long as it's eloquent and fair (or hilarious), it has our attention.
—All eligible reviews must be about games that have joined the GOG.com catalog within the previous month. For this first phase of the contest eligible reviews shall concern games that came out on GOG.com between May 1 and May 31, 2016.
—Winners will be announced at the beginning of every month with the start of next month's contest. The first round of winners will be announced in early July, giving you guys a bit of extra time to fine-tune your entries. Remember that if you're not happy with the shape of a review you've already posted, you can always contact our support team to rectify that.
—The best review of each month will win a sweet piece of gaming gear, courtesy of the good people at ROCCAT. Any runners-up will receive honorable mentions and one $9.99 code each, to be redeemed at GOG.com.

Let's celebrate the reviews that hit the nail on the head — the most constructive, informative, or fun to read. Grab your keyboards and make some magic happen, GOGers!
Post edited May 31, 2016 by maladr0Id
Zoidberg: Why bump this one the last day of the contest?

I don't get it...
omega64: You'll understand when you're older.
I guess you don't get it either then...
Here's my review of Outlaws:

I played the demo of Outlaws as a kid and loved it, but never got a copy until I was an adult. Unfortunately, I couldn't get it to run on Windows. That has all changed with this brilliant release.

This game is spectacular. The feel of the environment, music and cutscenes are all top notch. These elements combine with some fairly basic FPS elements to produce an emotional journey as you blast your way through towns full of villains as you pursue your daughter's kidnapper and wife's murderer.

While engaging enemies, you'll pick up weapons and tools to get you places. The game was the first ever to use a scope's zoomed view. And digging your way under a building with a shovel is quite wonderful. But the best part of the game is dodging bullets while looking for secrets. Secret rooms could include extra weapons or ammunition or amusing animations that I won't spoil here.

Technically, the game runs like a brand new game. It feels good on my widescreen monitor (I'm not sure if it's stretching, but it probably is). All of the graphics show correctly, with correct colors, animation speeds and clarity. Everything is just right.

Perhaps my favorite part of the game is that it loads quickly, you can save anywhere at any time, which allows it to fit my schedule. You can play for a few minutes and come back to it later. And that makes this a great hardcore-casual mix of a game for me.
https://www.gog.com/game/outlaws_a_handful_of_missions
Post edited May 31, 2016 by Tallima
GOG.com: Focus on your in-game experience: if you have general feedback or need tech support, contact us!
I disagree. One example that springs to mind is Shattered Steel, which is unplayable due to broken collision detection. I only knew this thanks to the reviews. Later, the game went on sale and was featured in a bundle on the front page. I find it hard to believe that GOG staff didn't know the game was broken for many people, but they still sell it anyway.

Reviews are the only real way people have of warning others about a buggy or broken release.
Mr.Caine: heh. was this prompted by the response Baldur's Gate EE received?
This was the first thing I thought of when I read the post too!

Tinfoil fan that I am, I instantly wondered if the folks that got the classic BG games pulled were trying to stem negative reviews too. :P Almost certainly not true, but like I said, tinfoil fan...
GOG.com: snip
Ugh, Roccat. Couldn't you have chosen better sponsors? They're officially partnered with G2A. Maybe a little background checking and some QA or something. At least get companies that support the gaming industry and aren't anti-gamer/publisher/developer.
GOG.com: snip
MaximumBunny: Ugh, Roccat. Couldn't you have chosen better sponsors? They're officially partnered with G2A. Maybe a little background checking and some QA or something. At least get companies that support the gaming industry and aren't anti-gamer/publisher/developer.
And what is wrong with G2A-like companies again?
Walen: And what is wrong with G2A-like companies again?
Everything? Unauthorized resellers that obtain games fraudulently, steal from publishers/developers/users, act as a platform for users to commit fraud crimes, and harming the gaming industry as a whole.

https://www.reddit.com/r/GameDeals/comments/2yhlw4/key_resellers_and_what_they_mean_for_you
http://www.polygon.com/2015/2/9/8006693/the-truth-behind-those-mysteriously-cheap-gray-market-game-codes
http://gamasutra.com/blogs/MichaelGnade/20160307/267385/How_Steam_key_Reselling_is_Killing_the_Little_Guys.php

They tend to have a stupid support policy when you get a non-working product that involves telling you to contact Steam support (or of the platform of choice), which will then tell you that G2A is not an authorized reseller and to ask them to fix your problem. This leaves you with non-working products from a company that cannot guarantee a working product (in violation of US/EU laws), besides their G2A Shield also being a violation of US/EU laws (charging consumers for a right they're granted under law).

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/354441-g2a-support-0-paypal-support-1/
http://imgur.com/a/7f1ar

+Hundreds more. They started by advertising that they bought boxed copies from cheaper regions and resold the codes, then moved onto "our users sell stuff and we just hoard free promo and bundle keys to resell to you at profit" type tactics. The only unauthorized reseller that actually does buy boxed copies is cdkeys, which should be based in Singapore. I don't use them but I don't have anything negative to say about them since that's conducting business legitimately in my book and via international laws.

And their activities do get noticed. http://www.pcgamer.com/league-of-legends-teams-asked-to-remove-g2a-logo-at-2015-world-championship/ I wish more esports organizations would do the same.

Edit: And I lost the original post where they just said "we're happy to announce our partnership with G2A", but https://twitter.com/ROCCAT/status/717716034975731714 they are indeed partnered.
Post edited June 03, 2016 by MaximumBunny
Regarding the partnership - a cursory search reveals no trace of actual cooperation between them, even official G2A site doesn't list it, and they have tons of logos there.

About the whole reselling thingy. I am not going to adress the very idea of reselling keys, and I will not touch the "who owns the game that is paid for" issue even with a 10 ft pole.

Setting big words like "hurting the gaming market" aside, from what I gather your position seems to be:

1. G2A has crappy/nonexistent customer support.

Most likely true. So do many AAA publishers. Why would you do business with companies with a documented history of disregarding their customers is beyond me.

2. G2A operates illegally.

According to their official website, the company is registered in Hong-Kong, which is not exactly a legal black hole if I understand correctly, and their customer service is located in Poland, which last time I checked was well within EU legal jurisdiction. And there must be a lot of court cases to prove such claim - oh, wait, there are none. The reason such companies are called grey-market is because you cannot call them black-market, due process and all that. Besides they have been operating for several years by now, and if the available fragmentary information is to be believed, their market share is at least significant. You don't grow this big without providing at least some value to the consumers. Neither do you with law enforcement being after you.

3. G2A facilitates criminal activity by its users.

This is a thougher one to tackle. The question of to what degree the middle man is responsible for the actions of freely acting individuals is undoubtly an intresting one, albeit ultimately not particulary a relevant one. If there is a market for second hand keys (like there seems to be) no amount of whining is going to change that. Some parties will act in good faith, some will look for ways to abuse the system. Deal with that.

Going back to where these keys come from. There seem to be a few sources.
a) press keys issued to reviewers, or supposed reviewers - I fail to see how a key here and there makes any difference, and even if it does solving it seems pretty straightforward.
b) identity theft, credit card theft, or other security fails - I don't claim there is an impregnable computer system that cannot be broken no matter what. Making a reasonably secure system may not be cheap, but don't cry when ignoring security risks backfires. In the links you posted above, a big publisher was quite happy to sell bulk number of keys to stolen credit card and cash-in on the transaction, just not that happy when end users tried to activate those same keys. The general public hears about a miniscule percentage of such events, so the scale of the problem is most likely big. I agree there is a lot of room for improvement ON PART OF DEVELOPERS/PUBLISHERS. Threre are no good solutions after the fact, besides not letting it to happen in the first place. I admit it disproportionately hits small indie devs, who don't have a budget for security, but its a cruel world we're living in.
c) humble bundles and/or seasonal sales - the very essence of such institutions where you can get many games for almost nothing means you are not buying all of them to play yourself. I honestly have no idea what to do here, or even if anything should be done at all. I fail to see an injured party. Devs get a short term cash injection, customers get games, and retailers get revenue. If you are offended by that don't discount your games.

To sum it up. If you are a big publisher chances are you are hurting yourself and the rest of the market way more than any reseller ever could. If you are a customer finding oneself on the wrong end of the stick with no money and no working game try some respectable retailer next time. If you are a developer ask yourself one question - why do people pay money instead of going to a friendly russian cracker just around the corner. (And if you are a reseller yourself ask yourself how come the said cracker provide better support;)
Walen: About the whole reselling thingy. I am not going to adress the very idea of reselling keys, and I will not touch the "who owns the game that is paid for" issue even with a 10 ft pole.
Yeah, it's not an issue from a legal standpoint. Whether it works for the consumer is though.

Walen: In the links you posted above, a big publisher was quite happy to sell bulk number of keys to stolen credit card and cash-in on the transaction, just not that happy when end users tried to activate those same keys
I know some Russian dude was buying Uplay keys off of the Origin client, and Kinguin was saying "we got it from a legitimate wholesaler" before they said "it was some guy with stolen credit cards". At least they took the loss like champs but they really need to stop lying to everyone to save face.

Walen: Neither do you with law enforcement being after you.
The last thing those Hong Kong/China/Taiwan areas want to do is please foreign interests over their local businesses. Crooked officials galore too. They really don't care what's reported to them unless you're their biggest briber. :P

But the problem is that they do international sales and use services like Paypal that are moderated under US/EU laws to conduct these affairs. Somewhere down the line is something that pertains to them that can be regulated and I'll find it one day. That's gonna be lots of fun. ^^
Thanks so much for your submissions everyone!

The May/June stage of the contest is now closed, so stay tuned for winners revealed soon – and gear up for the June/July edition with even more Roccat gear! :)
Post edited July 07, 2016 by Konrad
GOG.com: ...
How long do reviews take to appear on the site, though ? I'm never even sure it has accepted my review.
You guys should add better feedback on wether or not your review is accepted. Maybe provide a link to reviews to the user who made them ?