It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Our guide to a world of awesome game reviews

Game reviews are important. They help developers get direct feedback on their games, and as gamers they help us make an informed purchase or share our thoughts. Writing a quality review carries a certain responsibility: to do good by both the game and the community. Striking that perfect balance is a challenge, a delicate art that we want to promote.

Next time you're about to write a review, you'll see our simple suggestions for crafting a top-notch review. You can always revisit them from the review form as well.

Focus on your in-game experience: if you have general feedback or need tech support, contact us!
Avoid politics and drama: let the game stand on its own merits.
Critique responsibly: whether it's positive or negative, a great review should be helpful and informative.

We hope that these three essential guidelines will help make GOG.com reviews even more awesome than they already are, but we also don't want to stop there!

CONTEST: REVIEW OF THE MONTH

Together with our friends at ROCCAT we venture to encourage and reward the best reviews on GOG.com – and to that end, we are introducing our monthly Review of the Month contest!

Submit your review for any game (or games!) released on GOG.com between May 1 and May 31, 2016. This time around, the grand prize is the RENGA gaming headset, courtesy of ROCCAT.

Here's what you need to know:

—Once you've posted your review, submit it for consideration by also quoting it in this post's forum thread.
—Keep the review guidelines in mind. A good review can be both entertaining and informative, it can be brief or extensive. It doesn't need to be positive in its overall assessment of the game - as long as it's eloquent and fair (or hilarious), it has our attention.
—All eligible reviews must be about games that have joined the GOG.com catalog within the previous month. For this first phase of the contest eligible reviews shall concern games that came out on GOG.com between May 1 and May 31, 2016.
—Winners will be announced at the beginning of every month with the start of next month's contest. The first round of winners will be announced in early July, giving you guys a bit of extra time to fine-tune your entries. Remember that if you're not happy with the shape of a review you've already posted, you can always contact our support team to rectify that.
—The best review of each month will win a sweet piece of gaming gear, courtesy of the good people at ROCCAT. Any runners-up will receive honorable mentions and one $9.99 code each, to be redeemed at GOG.com.

Let's celebrate the reviews that hit the nail on the head — the most constructive, informative, or fun to read. Grab your keyboards and make some magic happen, GOGers!
Post edited May 31, 2016 by maladr0Id
high rated
GOG.com: Avoid politics
But what if I'm reviewing something like Democracy 3?! :D
GOG.com: Focus on your in-game experience
a.k.a. don't be those 5 million steam-kiddos who merely boot the game and """"review"""" the menus only by sayin' ''IT'S TOTAL CRAP - 0/10"
high rated
I feel like a system like this is going to decrease the quality of reviews, not increase them. Reviewing a game the same month it is released and rewarding those who do it? Sounds like a ploy to get marketting done for you.
zeogold: I'd go for it, but I ain't interested in the headset. Nor am I about to buy a game that was JUST released and hasn't had time for a sale. And on top of that, my reviews are usually too big for the size allowed. This smells like a marketing tactic to me.
Yep, it should be possible to write longer reviews. You often have leave out half of what you want to write of the review, because you are bound to the 2000 letters limit.
drealmer7: I feel like a system like this is going to decrease the quality of reviews, not increase them. Reviewing a game the same month it is released and rewarding those who do it? Sounds like a ploy to get marketting done for you.
The way it's worded is a little confusing, but the games are actually from the previous month. This round starts early, but it doesn't end until the start of July. Then the next contest will be for June games, and will end at the start of August, etc.

Flaose: I contest might help a little, but I think the best thing GOG.com could do to improve the quality of reviews would be to limit them to games that are you actually own on GOG.
I don't think that's necessary. There are plenty of legitimate reviews from people who don't own the game on GOG because they bought it somewhere else. Instead, turning the guidelines presented here into actual rules (at least the first two, the third is pretty subjective) would get rid of most, if not all, reviews where the reviewer hasn't actually played the game.
Hold up...according to Roccat's website, they only ship to Germany and Austria. I presume GOG will be the ones shipping it to the winner? And will you guys cover the cost of said shipping?
I gave up doing reviews. Although I keep them balanced and respectful not a single one ever gets posted so I gave up some time ago. I find it frustrating when mine never seem to go live and others which use profanities or are totally unhelpful seem to go up

:(
Nice contest! However I haven't bought anything from the recent releases yet. But we still have a couple of weeks.
high rated
How about fixing the review system first?
Wurzelkraft: How about fixing the review system first?
Ahahahahahahahahaha. xD
*cough*
Good one.
Post edited May 19, 2016 by omega64
styggron: I gave up doing reviews. Although I keep them balanced and respectful not a single one ever gets posted so I gave up some time ago. I find it frustrating when mine never seem to go live and others which use profanities or are totally unhelpful seem to go up

:(
Have you contacted Support about that? There's no approval process for reviews, so they should be going up regardless of the content.
high rated
heh. was this prompted by the response Baldur's Gate EE received?
high rated
Nice idea. Shame most of the reviews I submitted recently never made it into the system. They were no masterpieces, but they tried to be decent reviews of the game itself, weighing the pros and cons. But hey, at least all those one line reviews written by angry apes with crayons make it through okay, so maybe I just didn't pass the quality filter. ~_~
Perhaps update the post to include the eligible titles. Tracking down each release post just to check the date doesn't sound like a good use of anyone's time.
Nice, but it will be much better if you fix review system. I like to see winner, runner-ups and the quality of their reviews.
Hmmm. So, find the worst game released in the time period, grab it, beat it, then eviscerate it while staying under the letter limit?
That could be a slight variation on the usual process.