It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

StingingVelvet: GOG should absolutely make their reviews "owners only" to combat this. Especially since gaming so full of insane political rantings nowadays.
lol@anyone insinuating Steam reviews are in any way preferable to gog reviews. Go to any Steam game and 99.9% of positive reviews will be retarded oneliners and teh funneh memes.

Case in point, here are some fine examples of "the actually great reviews Sam & Max Save the World deserved"
(In the interest of fairness I'll quote the reviews here in their entirety)

"Police brutality is cool if the police are animals "

"Funny, clever, and one of the few right leaning pieces of entertainment! "

"i have autism and love this game "

"Funny and not too easy/difficult. Definitely worth it if on sale. "

"A good Remaster that adds a lot and provides the original version to play if you feel inclined to do so. Worth the purchase. "

"yes"

"Worth the price twice over. "

"gay rights

also i played the wii version i know what im talking about "

"phenomenal documentary about president max and his first lady sam "

"its cool i guess. "

"My boys are as beautiful as the day I left them. "

"they are husbands " (rated helpful by 181 users)

"husbands " (rated helpful by 106 users)

"I have a foot fetish "

"They are married, your honor "

Well, that was illuminating!

I dare you to find any Steam game where the review section isn't a slight variation of the above.

And - whoop-dee-fucking-doo! - the highest rated review I could find (501 votes) is a negative review that calls the devs out on lying about making changes to the dialogue.

The one thing that legitimately needs to be changed about gog reviews is the way reviews are pushed to the top based on the number of total votes, which simply encourages a rat race to be the first to cobble together some semi-literate drivel, which all but guarantees that your review gets one of the top spots. A nice example would be Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth, where you'll have to heroically make it through pages upon pages of inane fanboy wank until you stumble across the first review that contains the kinda crucial info that the game still features a game-breaking bug that prevents you from completing the game.
fronzelneekburm: ol@anyone insinuating Steam reviews are in any way preferable to gog reviews. Go to any Steam game and 99.9% of positive reviews will be retarded oneliners and teh funneh memes.
To be fair, the shitstorm GOG reviews were mostly retarded oneliners and variants of "go woke, get broke".

I still don't understand what you want in this thread, but while you're here: I'm pretty certain fortune_p_dawg left the forum because he couldn't stomach the toxicity that you co-created and still say doesn't exist. p_dawg was particularly grieved by that second class citizen thread. I have receipts, but I'm pretty unwilling to post them all. However, this wisdom of his definitely applies here as well: "if everyone would chill the hell out and not hammer the "post" button like an overeager lumberjack swinging for the fences. common sense and disciplined moderation (of ones self) seem to be lost in these times of opinion floods and e-rage."

Good man, we'd need more people like him back. We've lost so many.

PS: Agreed on the early review visibility bonus. That shit has to go as well.
Post edited October 02, 2022 by Vainamoinen
fronzelneekburm: lol@anyone insinuating Steam reviews are in any way preferable to gog reviews. Go to any Steam game and 99.9% of positive reviews will be retarded oneliners and teh funneh memes.
I'd rather the people writing meme reviews actually own and played the game.
StingingVelvet: I'd rather the people writing meme reviews actually own and played the game.
They're definitely not helping customers trying to find out if the game's for them or not, but they are expressing an opinion based on actual experience with the game. Which is a thousand times more preferable and valid.

I've recently read through the Stray reviews - they're definitely like the ones fro posted up there and not informative at all. But then you see some dude or dudette posting a silly cat meme displaying 50 hours with the seven hour game and ... you at least know that it was fantastic beyond expression for this particular steamite.
I don't know what the general consensus is but ultimately I do think the game will show up and in the not too far future. Maybe few will really care by then.
tfishell: I don't know what the general consensus is but ultimately I do think the game will show up and in the not too far future. Maybe few will really care by then.
We'll never know how successful it still was here. For Thimbleweed Park, Ron even posted pie charts. Those were the days, but Disney would probably send assassins if he did that again. ;)

Return is actually #1 on the wishlist again this week! So that's an encouraging sign.

I've started acquiring the soundtrack, but I'm trying very hard not to listen to it too much.

Stretched thin waiting ...
neumi5694: In the case above that means that his bad rating makes the average raiting from buyers go up, while the other one goes down causing a bigger discrepancy.
Minor correction: one goes up, but the other one (which is the overall rating) just stays the same.

neumi5694: I somehow doubt that this was the main reason for Monkey Island not getting released here however.
Yeah me neither. When we look at TWP most PC sales were clearly via Steam and the most console sales were by far for Switch. So it makes sense using those as launch platforms for RtMI.
This doesn't mean that it won't come to GOG, but it also doesn't mean it will come soon. Or ever.
It's just all guesswork until they finally start communicating with us.

Vainamoinen: The developer learned his lesson, and that certainly wasn't to "correct" his "mistake" so that some people wouldn't be holding the big fat 0.5% additional sales on GOG ransom and would not shitstorm his game if it ever released here.
:-(((
Sadly this all seems plausible.

MadPilgrim: Censorship is unacceptable and Skunkape got what they deserve. I find it funny that you are angry about customers voicing their opinion. Not everyone wants to just consume the product and get excited for the next product like you guys.
I'm afraid you don't know what censorship means.

Also if you look at the score of actual customers (i.e. verified owners) you get a 4 for Sam & Max Save the World, and 5 for the bundle, the soundtrack alone and also for everything Season 2 related.
So the actual customers seem to be very happy with those games.
Ugh, too tired to type my own opinions on the current topics, but my views basically align with Vainamoinen on the review situation on GOG, the Sam and Max "censorship" and basically everything from the last page. Just a big +1 from me.
neumi5694: In the case above that means that his bad rating makes the average raiting from buyers go up, while the other one goes down causing a bigger discrepancy.
Sir_Kill_A_Lot: Minor correction: one goes up, but the other one (which is the overall rating) just stays the same.
Right. Silly me :)
Well, apparently GOG is releasing another extremely anticipated game today. That diminishes the chances for Return to Monkey Island though. :( :( :( :(
Vainamoinen: Well, apparently GOG is releasing another extremely anticipated game today. That diminishes the chances for Return to Monkey Island though. :( :( :( :(
What game is that?
For me, Return To Monkey Island is the only extremely anticipated game recently.
Vainamoinen: Well, apparently GOG is releasing another extremely anticipated game today. That diminishes the chances for Return to Monkey Island though. :( :( :( :(
Nah, GOG has no problems with releasing two games in one day. It's not up to them when to release MI6.
MarkoH01: Honestly, I don't know if I still WANT to support Ron anbd RtMI anymore. I asked multiple times on Twitter and got ignored completely. For somebody who always speaks out I have expected to get at least a short reply. Many purchases of Monkey Island were done because of GOG - good old games back then. Now we are treated like shit. I know that there are good devs that care about GOGers as well and bad devs that don't care. There are quite a lot of good devs and I prefer to give my money to those. Take "Brok: The InvestiGator" i.e. completely on par with Steam when it comes to features, DLCs and updates ... first day release on GOG and the dev is always there when you have questions. Why on earth should I give my hard earned money to people who consider my purchase to be a nice but not necessarily wanted bonus ... probably treating me and possible future updates the same? Yes, I was interested in the game but not getting a single word about a GOG release at all makes me so angry that I guess I'd feel better to not reward this by buying the game.
I agree! 100%! The radio silence is the problem. They simply could have said "A GOG version is currently not planned". I really don't understand the decision to not release the game here.

Hiding the DLCs and extras you can see on the German version of the bestelling (all time) list the following:

No. 76 (+4) - The Secret of Monkey Island: Special Edition
106 (+2) - Monkey Island 2 Special Edition: LeChuck’s Revenge
110 (+3) - The Curse of Monkey Island
230 (+4) - Tales of Monkey Island: Complete Season
306 (+8) - Escape from Monkey Island

In brackets you can see the difference to the last time where I checked it two weeks ago.

There was a report on SWR3 about Return to Monkey Island. (Note for non-Germans: SWR3 is radio station in Germany with 3.32 million listeners per day.) The Spiegel magazine wrote a review. (Note: Spiegel is a German weekly news magazine with a weekly circulation of 700,000 copies. Their website has about 20 million unique users per month.) The biggest IT magazine and website in Germany heise.de has also a review. Even the German television news channel "n-tv" reported about this game. Only a few games get so much attention in Germany.

I got spoilered...

Probably some of you read about the teaser of a new Maniac Mansion game:
https://twitter.com/craigderrick/status/1572142340093136903

And also this:
https://twitter.com/grumpygamer/status/1573802305270710272

This would have been good news for me but now I have serious doubts. The involvement of Terrible Toybox, Devolver Digital and Lucasfilm Games/Disney isn't a good thing. And to be honest here, I absolutely don't like the art style of Return to Monkey Island. I was willing to accept this art style for this game, but I don't want to see a new Maniac Mansion game with it. I dislike modern art styles in general, especially abstract art. A Maniac Mansion game with a cubism influenced art style would be terrible. I don't want the repetition of what I've seen with Return to Monkey Island from the announcement to a release without a proper DRM-free version.

Ron Gilbert talked something about the joy of sharing when he got attacked. Not releasing a proper DRM-free version on day one completely destroyed the joy of playing and experiencing a new game for me. The radio silence is too much.
Post edited October 04, 2022 by toma85
Vainamoinen: A shitstorm that naturally extended to Season 2 in which not a single line was changed.
I already saidfit and I will say it again: The "shitstorm" for Season 2 was simply calling the devs out to reconsider their changes in Season 1 BECAUSE people would love to buy Season 2. If customers would tell me that they would love to buy not just my new game but also the one before it I would be delighted and maybe I would reconsider. It was THEIR decision to make the release of season 1 that problematic. Nobody forced them ... it was THEIR decision to not reconsider even after they released season 2 and people announced that they would buy that one as well in an instant if it wasn't for their decision in seaosn 1 ... nobody forced them.

I have had a lot of contacts with indie devs and those who had success were in most cases those who actually listened and talked to their potential customer base. I have no pity at all to those who don't and then start to complain about how the game won't sell or that people post their - completely valid - opinion about it.

Vainamoinen: Well I guess if you don't beat up the developers in your very special care for every new game of theirs, they start making the same "mistakes" again. Better to always slap them silly while they're young, all the grown up ones are assholes anyway. And a little extortion can't hurt. It's a nice game you have there, it would be so sad if something really bad happened to it. You better put that white dude back in who's trying to sound black, or ... whoooops, lookie, your game fell down. So sorry.
Please stop treating devs as if they are little kids - a dev who can't even handle a bit of constructive critizism (they brought on their own) should maybe stop developing games all together because the world out there is pretty rough - not juust on GOG. We are not talking about a new game, we are talking about an already existing game they tried to make better while still aiming at the original target group of Sam and Max - which usually does not like censoring very much. Censoring Sam and Max (we are NOT just talking about another voice as you tried to express, we are talking about changed lines) seems to be a joke on its own and it would have surprised me if the game would have been a success.

Vainamoinen: What's not to believe?
The developer was pondering the release here and eventually decided to delay it. Which was a great idea actually, because they released Season 2 on Steam to 97% positive reviews (much better reviews than Return to Monkey Island by the way). They released here two months later after GOG personnel kindly asked and got shitstormed AF immediately.
I still find it hard to believe that GOG actually asked a dev to release their new game here - especially since the first one wasn't a success. Do you have a source in which GOG confirmed this?

Vainamoinen: Four altered lines among 30.000 and a switched out voice actor for Season 1, if somebody gives me that as the reason not to buy an in many respects incredible remaster, I laugh, I shrug, and I say "you do you".
I wonder if you'd say the same thing if you'd buy a movie that was altered in this way. I would not buy a censored movie as well and so I can understand everybody who passed on this release.

Vainamoinen: But if that somebody goes on GOG and writes three iterations of the same slanderous review for the sequel without ever having touched the game, all of which get deleted by GOG, that dude is trying to exercise a bonkers revenge after a perceived personal insult. He's trying to tell the developer that his game is not welcome here. Which of course is a decision the dude can only make for himself by not buying it, but not for everybody else as he's actively preventing games to release here.
I know that sometimes reviews here on GOG can hardly be called "review" and I guess that at least some people were that angry that they simply shouted and insulted ... it happened in the past and it will happen again ... but I still don't think that we are talking about hundreds of those and the fact that the game has been edited is ... well - still a fact and imo it is perfectly okay to inform people about it in a review - of course this should always happen in a calm and objective way.

Vainamoinen: We'll have to face the reality of the situation: review bombing does play a part in many developers' decision to delay or not even attempt a GOG release.
I don't think it is a fact at all - but you have your opinbion and I have mine.

Vainamoinen: Return to Monkey Island, possibly, included.
So no bad revies on Steam? No bad reviews on twitter, youtube, facebook ...? GOG was the only forum in which the artstyle was not very welcome? Maybe you should search the net a bit more .... the few discussions here about the artstyle were just a drop in regard to the discussions in Ron's blog, on twitter, facebook, youtube and steam as well ... yet the game is not released on GOG and GOGers asking about it will get ignored.

Vainamoinen: The Devil's Playhouse Remaster, definitely included. As long as GOG is Boycott Central, it shouldn't be surprising that customers get none of the newer games and are always treated as an absolute afterthought.
Boycott central? What on earth are you talking about?

Vainamoinen: I have nothing against people who boycott themselves into second class citizenship - I've done the same for over a decade by never using Steam. But I'm not dragging anybody down with me.
Those who decided to boycott also don't drag anybody with them. The boycott thread exists for several years now and the list of those who actively boycotted buying games on GOG are quite few (so you can hardly call this boycott central) ... also most of them simply want to change things that went wrong in the past. They don't boycott to bring GOG down they do so in the hope it might bring GOG to make things better.

Vainamoinen: The system always seemed a little strange to me. If the customers love a game, why would the opinions of non customers even interest me in the slightest?
Not owning the game here on GOG does not have to mean that they don't own it at all - maybe that is the reason ... also GOG started - as we all know - with good old games so they might hope that even those who'd played some of the games a long time ago will give those games a good review without even buying it.
Post edited October 04, 2022 by MarkoH01
Sir_Kill_A_Lot: To me it clearly shows that he isn't allowed to talk about this.

OK, so maybe you don't want to support RtMI any more, but I think it wouldn't be right to blame Ron or other members in the development team and suddenly drop support for those (IMHO) great individuals.
Please don't get me wrong. I don't hate Ron or anybody involved in creating RtMI or anything klike that. It's just extremely disappointing to me that IT SEEMS as if he does not care for GOGers at all. Yes, that's an assumption and maybe it is completely wrong. It is just the way I feel right now and while it could be that he is not allowed to talk it's a bit untypical for him not to say anything at all ... so what remains is this feeling - without any proof - and this is not as good anymore as it was when I first heard about the release thinking it would arrive here on the same day as on Steam .... another assumption that obviously was wrong. To make it perfectly clear: this is just my feeling and nothing more. I don't ask for others to not be excited or (even worse) not buy the game if or when it should get released here. Who knows - when it will get released here maybe I will forget all my feelings again and will buy in an instant. Right now I am just a bit disappointed nothing more :)

Sir_Kill_A_Lot: 1. I can understand people wanting unmodified, original versions. But this very original version IS INCLUDED when you buy the remastered version. So at least nothing is lost. (We can't really expect them to maintain multiple versions of the remastered version because this is a lot of work (it multiplies with supported platforms and multiplies with supported languages; testing efforts go through the roof etc.) And that's for something they WANTED to have changed, they don't need/want an alternative version in the first place.)
Problem is that the original game has been sold for years before this remaster was released - so most fans already owned it at the time (I already owned the TTG version and the GOG version and the TTG DVD so I had plenty of it). So again why should I buy a censored game and support censoring even though I already have a pretty playable version of it? With the resolution changer the differences are not really that big as well. Your last sentence shows the whole problem for me: THEY wanted the game to be this way .... but you make games for a potential customer base and not for yourself - especially when we are talking about a remaster you should be well aware of your target group.

Sir_Kill_A_Lot: 2. I have the impression that many of those complaining about censorship here and censorship there don't know what this word means. It's not even self-censorship. The development team creating this remastered version just decided they want to change some things because they wanted to.
I know but I can only partly agree since this was NOT the game of the devs it was the game TTG made so THEY changed an already existing and accepted version of the game to reduce the black humour which still is censoring. I would not call it censoring if the original version never existed never got released.

Sir_Kill_A_Lot: 3. Changing something when saying we haven't changed anything is a dick move. Btw.: That would be a reason why a publisher wants to control all communication and don't want to let dev members talk freely (I'm back to RtMI at last!).
Agreed - but wouldn't it be best if devs could speal freely because they have nothing to hide and stand to what they've done? The devs who speak openly are those I love to support the most. In fact I already purchased multiple copys to gift away in the case of some games/devs.