It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Welcome to our jolly dystopia.

We Happy Few, the stylish action/adventure about escaping a city of oppressive happiness, is now available, DRM-free on GOG.com, 15% off until August 13th, 7:00am UTC.

Did you take your happiness pill today? Please try not to skip on your regular doses, otherwise you might start hallucinating and seeing things that shouldn't be there. Like derelict houses dressed in colourful banners. People jumping off London Bridge with a smile painted on their faces. Violent acts against those who refuse to always look on the bright side of life.
You are not seeing any of that, are you? Because if so, you better run, hide, or quickly take your Joy with a nice cup of tea.
Fast.
Before we find you and feed it to you.

Note: Owners of the In Development version do not need to purchase the game again.
CharlesGrey: Yeah, I agree with most of that. I also liked No Man's Sky, and don't regret buying a copy, but in retrospect I wish I would have picked it up later on, at a lower price and in a more refined state. While I haven't tried We Happy Few, I suspect it's another case of a fairly interesting, but clearly overpriced game. A price point between 30 and 40 bucks seems reasonable to me, but if you include the season pass/deluxe edition, it's currently 2 or 3 times as much.

Besides, maybe the average gamer these days already accepts it as normal, but I'm not really willing to pay the same high price for a purely digital download as I would for a traditional physical edition. I've bought special collector's editions of physical games, with various extras ( books, soundtrack discs, miniatures etc. ) which had lower prices than these entirely digital files they're offering here.

And as you already mentioned, CD Projekt RED have proven that you can develop huge high quality AAA games, and still sell them at fair prices, and without a dependency on alternate sources of income, such as crowd-funding, micro-transactions/ loot boxes etc.
Oh, well, either way, it doesn't really matter. I've learned some time ago that whatever we discuss in these forums never bears any fruits. See the Forsaken Remaster release, for instance. Lots of people in the release thread praising the game (mostly N64 nostalgia nerds, to be fair), but it didn't do particularly well in GOG's best-selling list. Or Ys: Memories of Celceta, which got little to no fanfare in the release thread, but nabbed that first place in the best-selling list and managed to stay there for a good number of days. And, now, this one. We're all talking crap about it and its devs and their shady practices, but the truth of the matter is that it's already the best selling game on GOG, surpassing Dead Cells, Phantom Doctrine and Unavowed.

Hopefully some of those customers will see reason and refund the game in the upcoming weeks.
groze: Oh, well, either way, it doesn't really matter. I've learned some time ago that whatever we discuss in these forums never bears any fruits. See the Forsaken Remaster release, for instance. Lots of people in the release thread praising the game (mostly N64 nostalgia nerds, to be fair), but it didn't do particularly well in GOG's best-selling list. Or Ys: Memories of Celceta, which got little to no fanfare in the release thread, but nabbed that first place in the best-selling list and managed to stay there for a good number of days. And, now, this one. We're all talking crap about it and its devs and their shady practices, but the truth of the matter is that it's already the best selling game on GOG, surpassing Dead Cells, Phantom Doctrine and Unavowed.

Hopefully some of those customers will see reason and refund the game in the upcoming weeks.
As I understand it, the bestseller list isn't based on the number of units sold, but rather total value of units sold, which is why expensive games frequently end up at the top ( at least among the temporary frontpage bestsellers ). And I figure most of the current sales are the result of release hype. It will be much more interesting and representative to see how the game does after a few months, both in terms of popularity and game quality.
groze: Oh, well, either way, it doesn't really matter. I've learned some time ago that whatever we discuss in these forums never bears any fruits. See the Forsaken Remaster release, for instance. Lots of people in the release thread praising the game (mostly N64 nostalgia nerds, to be fair), but it didn't do particularly well in GOG's best-selling list. Or Ys: Memories of Celceta, which got little to no fanfare in the release thread, but nabbed that first place in the best-selling list and managed to stay there for a good number of days. And, now, this one. We're all talking crap about it and its devs and their shady practices, but the truth of the matter is that it's already the best selling game on GOG, surpassing Dead Cells, Phantom Doctrine and Unavowed.

CharlesGrey: As I understand it, the bestseller list isn't based on the number of units sold, but rather total value of units sold, which is why expensive games frequently end up at the top ( at least among the temporary frontpage bestsellers ). And I figure most of the current sales are the result of release hype. It will be much more interesting and representative to see how the game does after a few months, both in terms of popularity and game quality.
Thanks for the reply, CharlesGrey, tinyE brought this up to my attention in a different thread, as well. I was just assuming "best selling = most number of copies sold". But this makes more sense, I always found it so weird how that many people had pre-ordered Darksiders III, now here's my answer. :P

It would still be cool if a blue could elaborate on the matter, though.
Post edited August 11, 2018 by groze
Why is this sold here and not exclusively on the Microsoft store? I presume MS will soon fix this oversight.

I hope it is a good game and any problems will be fixed. If so, I might get it one day.
Themken: Why is this sold here and not exclusively on the Microsoft store? I presume MS will soon fix this oversight.

I hope it is a good game and any problems will be fixed. If so, I might get it one day.
Because Microsoft bought Compulsion AFTER the deal with Gearbox. The buyout is not retroactive, Microsoft can't do squat about the licensing of We Happy Few, that's entirely on pre-Microsoft Compulsion and Gearbox's hands. They already had a contract with Steam, GOG and Sony (the game is on the PS4, as well), and Microsoft can't take that back.

The same with Ninja Theory (which Microsoft also bought) and Hellblade. There's nothing Microsoft can do about it, unless there's some sort of expiry date on the contracts Ninja Theory signed with all the stores Hellblade can be bought from. All these things were legally taken care of before Microsoft bought the studios.

As for any future projects by Compulsion and Ninja Theory? Yeah... they're part of "Microsoft Studios", now, so my guess is that their future games will only be released on Xbox and the good ol' Windows Store.
groze:
Alright, law is not my speciality. They could 'forget' about updating the game past v 1.0 on all other platforms and shops though....

I think this is the first time I see triple core processor mentioned in system requirements.
Post edited August 11, 2018 by Themken
i_hope_you_rot: Let me repeat .

Game Skinny – 9
Shacknews – 8
Windows Central – 4.5/5
GamesRadar – 4/5
TechRaptor – 6.5
TheSixthAxis – 6
Gaming Trend – 65/100
PC Invasion – 5
Attack of the Fanboy – 3.5/5
We Got This Covered – 3.5/5
Hardcore Gamer – 3/5
Game Revolution – 3/5
Twinfinite – 3/5
Err...

http://opencritic.com/game/1546/we-happy-few
Just stopping by the thread to deliver my middle finger to Corruption Games.
Post edited August 11, 2018 by ReynardFox
reative00: I'm about 2 hours in and so far it's fun. Yes, I would probably feel ripped for 60$, but for 20(?) I paid in early InDev this feel like a rather fair price.
Did you get the bonus weapon with your in-dev version?
muddysneakers: Developer shenanigans aside (of which I have been thankfully unaware) the reviews of this game read a lot like my feelings on Deadly Premonition: a game with a lot of potential and an interesting story to tell dragged down by terrible gameplay and some frustrating bugs.
Except in Deadly Premonition the characters are quirky, adorable and memorable.
Certainly are a happy few at that price.
i_hope_you_rot: Let me repeat .

Game Skinny – 9
Shacknews – 8
Windows Central – 4.5/5
GamesRadar – 4/5
TechRaptor – 6.5
TheSixthAxis – 6
Gaming Trend – 65/100
PC Invasion – 5
Attack of the Fanboy – 3.5/5
We Got This Covered – 3.5/5
Hardcore Gamer – 3/5
Game Revolution – 3/5
Twinfinite – 3/5
Zoidberg: Err...

http://opencritic.com/game/1546/we-happy-few
>Being above average means weak in game journalist tier of rating games

Absolute state of this industry and reason why nobody should listen to this morons.
I hate the art style.
Darvond: Certainly are a happy few at that price.
Definitely not a game for "downers".
reative00: >Being above average means weak in game journalist tier of rating games

Absolute state of this industry and reason why nobody should listen to this morons.
That's what it means to me too.

And opencritic seems way more reliable than metacritic, at least there's that.

Just displaying good grades from a few select sites is not enough... thus mee posting an aggregate...