It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

What is Undertale anyway?

<span class="bold">Undertale</span>, a most peculiar RPG adventure, is available now, DRM-free on GOG.com with a 20% launch discount.

What is Undertale? It's a good, tough question. It's a particularly weird little game — a textbook case of so unusual and special, that saying too much might end up a disservice.

The adorable 8-bit RPG is, like most things in life and Undertale, an unassuming layer of lies. Lies, beneath which lies one of the most interesting indie games in recent memory — Undertale the RPG where talking your way out of every fight is an option, but then so is total genocide. It's a game that throws countless twists at you — abstract encounters with absurd enemies, the most unexpected consequences to your actions, and vastly varying experiences that are 100% your fault. Who you are, and how your Undertale plays out will change everything — even your next inevitable playthrough.

Your most peculiar adventure begins with <span class="bold">Undertale</span>, available now, DRM-free on GOG.com. The launch discount will last for one week, until March 8, 1:59 PM GMT.

In the press:
“The puzzles aren't particularly impressive.” 10/10 – Destructoid
“I have a couple of issues with the user interface.” 10/10 – PCInvasion
“If there’s a criticism to be had, it’s that sometimes Toby Fox doesn’t know when to let a joke go.” 10/10 – The Jimquisition
"Undertale is one of the most unique efforts seen in indie gaming. Combining a love for the old with a willingness to innovate and utilize game mechanics to express ideas, rather than a binary input-output, this game should be on any and every one’s radar." - GamingTrend

https://www.gog.com/wishlist/games/undertale_soundtrack_dlc
ShadowWulfe: So... why not release it day one?
lepke1979: Possible reasons:

1) GOG didn't want it originally

2) Undertale dev wrote the game with Steam features in mind and it took this long to strip them out

3) Undertale dev wrote the game with Steam features in mind and it took this longer to add Galaxy features

4) Undertale dev got tired of Barry asking, "Are you bringing it to GOG?!?"
Be like Barry :)
linopop: CoD-playing hipster
Fenixp: How does that even work?
LOL the movement has gone full circle. Hipsters have become SO hipster, it isn't hipster to be hipster anymore. So now you're only REALLY a hipster if you drive a truck / play COD / are a fratboy / DON'T have a waxed mustache and love at least three professional sports teams and you absolutely, positively cannot live anywhere NEAR Brooklyn or Portland. (I'm sorry, I'm not entirely clear about what a hipster is or isn't so I may have botched a few of those).

Also, no way in hell can you own a cat or date a woman who knitted any piece of her outfit while simultaneously has never done a single household task besides said knitting (unless you're older than the age of 74, then it's okay).

It's like the time the emos went so emo, that to be truly emo you had to be the captain of the high school team, date the prom queen and wear Abercrombie.
Just finished about five minutes ago. I laughed, I cried, I gorged on pasta. There’s an undeniable purity and innocence to this game about gaming. Everyone was proclaiming it the messiah, and… well, in defence of myself and others putting off playing Undertale, it’s not that we wanted to hate something everybody else likes just to be different. All we really wanted was the chance to make up our own minds. It’s sometimes difficult to do that when everyone is overwhelmingly saying one thing.
markrichardb: Just finished about five minutes ago. I laughed, I cried, I gorged on pasta. There’s an undeniable purity and innocence to this game about gaming. Everyone was proclaiming it the messiah, and… well, in defence of myself and others putting off playing Undertale, it’s not that we wanted to hate something everybody else likes just to be different. All we really wanted was the chance to make up our own minds. It’s sometimes difficult to do that when everyone is overwhelmingly saying one thing.
RAmen. I can relate to having games hyped up to the heavens spoiling an experience.
Fenixp: How does that even work?
Ixamyakxim: LOL the movement has gone full circle. Hipsters have become SO hipster, it isn't hipster to be hipster anymore. So now you're only REALLY a hipster if you drive a truck / play COD / are a fratboy / DON'T have a waxed mustache and love at least three professional sports teams and you absolutely, positively cannot live anywhere NEAR Brooklyn or Portland. (I'm sorry, I'm not entirely clear about what a hipster is or isn't so I may have botched a few of those).

Also, no way in hell can you own a cat or date a woman who knitted any piece of her outfit while simultaneously has never done a single household task besides said knitting (unless you're older than the age of 74, then it's okay).

It's like the time the emos went so emo, that to be truly emo you had to be the captain of the high school team, date the prom queen and wear Abercrombie.
Its hipster now to watch TV on your real TV with Cable/Satillite.
markrichardb: Just finished about five minutes ago. I laughed, I cried, I gorged on pasta. There’s an undeniable purity and innocence to this game about gaming. Everyone was proclaiming it the messiah, and… well, in defence of myself and others putting off playing Undertale, it’s not that we wanted to hate something everybody else likes just to be different. All we really wanted was the chance to make up our own minds. It’s sometimes difficult to do that when everyone is overwhelmingly saying one thing.
Glad you enjoyed the experience.:)
i was a bit skeptical of undertale as well, but i'm glad i played it. the music is catchy and sticks to your brain like an old snes rpg, and the story is pretty excellent.

<kinda-spoiler>

i think that if i wasn't a parent the story might not have affected me the way it did. early into the story you encounter an npc who has suffered significant losses in her lifetime, and this only starts coming to a head later in the game. there's a ton of goofy humor in undertale, but the last couple hours are heavy as hell.