It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Coming back to the family hotel after years, a young woman finds herself trapped along with the ghosts from her past. The Suicide of Rachel Foster is now available DRM-free on GOG.COM with a 25% discount lasting until 26th February 2020, 5 PM UTC.

Help the game’s protagonist, Nicole, in leaving the large mountain lodge with the support of a FEMA agent she contacts using one of the first radiotelephones ever built.
ChrisSZ: On the game card the genre is "Adventure - Puzzle - Mystery". I hope it indeed has some puzzles.
Dogmaus: I didn't care for spoilers so I read a walkthrough. It's literal walkthrough, as all you do is walking until something happens. There is some minimal interaction like clicking on something to turn it on or open it but I don't see real puzzles.
I would like to know what "feature" Ffp is talking about too. Just say it rather than being all mysterious about it.
The only puzzle of the game is finding out what this aborted "feature" was about.
Yeah, I realized that, too. Roughly one hour in, and the only interaction so far was pushing the button on the boiler.

Not sure why "Puzzle" is listed as a genre on the game card. It's a bit misleading for a pure walking simulator. But who knows, maybe there will be some puzzles later in the game.
Flyingfluffypiglet: Then there's the case of the 'feature' initially put forward in the game description by the Devs, kinda cringy, so cringy in fact that they got rid of it after some backlash.
joppo: "feature"? I guess I'm out of the loop. What "feature" is that?
I did put feature in quotes because, and I stress that this was not initially put in the game synopsis but the feature section with things like: "Explore the vast and detailed hotel, unraveling dark secrets of the family's past" and top of that feature list was: "A strong-willed and brave female protagonist." See screenshot.

If it did strike a chord positively with some, it was outweighed by the negatively given it was scrapped from the list.
Attachments:
Post edited February 20, 2020 by Flyingfluffypiglet
joppo: "feature"? I guess I'm out of the loop. What "feature" is that?
Flyingfluffypiglet: I did put feature in quotes because, and I stress that this was not initially put in the game synopsis but the feature section with things like: "Explore the vast and detailed hotel, unraveling dark secrets of the family's past" and top of that feature list was: "A strong-willed and brave female protagonist." See screenshot.

If it did strike a chord positively with some, it was outweighed by the negatively given it was scrapped from the list.
Oh right, I remember seeing that and it did strike me as a lame attempt at screaming " look how progressive we are!"
high rated
MarkoH01: Unfortunately this is once again a trailer that does not give me a true idea of the actual gameplay. Is this a walking sim or does it have actual puzzles? Anyway - I am getting strong Overlook vibes when wathcing the trailer. It seems as if the devs were true Kubrick fans (just watch the carpet in one scene of the trailer).
The game is purely a cinematic walking sim where you explore for areas/items that are clues to the mystery. It is a game in the vein of Gone Home, Tacoma, or Everybody's Gone to Rapture. However, with some minor use of inventory management like Soma. The only elements you might think of as puzzle like is using a sound device to find a location and the 1 or 2 items needed to be used in specific places to advance the story. Despite only using the sound device a bit the game plays better with head phones and it uses sound very well to play on the atmosphere. Creeks and groans, faint ambient music here and there, as well as other sounds.

Movement is not a slog. You can run so are not forced to move a leisurely walk the entire game like so many other walking sim type games.

There are dialogue choices within the game but dont know how they effect the over all story or if they change the outcome.

The story is decent and the visuals are very nice. I like all the 80's references and Overlook Hotel references and appreciate the effort put into that. It was nicely designed. There is a C64 like computer, 5.5 inch floppies, cassette and VHS tapes, and some 80s like posters. Specifically there is one that is almost identical to a Solar System poster I had when I was 8 or 9.

There are also nice historical references to the Montana region. I cant say how accurate they are. Not being from there, but they give it a feel of regional authenticity just on how they are presented. I got the same feeling from watching the Shining and Twin Peaks and playing Gone Home and What Remains of Edith Finch.

In short, it is a fun nostalgic game with nice visuals. It is fairly short game. I think I finished it in 5 to 8 hours and that was taking my time. But still worth the 15 dollars I would say. It was the cost of renting 3 movies and was about the same length.

My only real dislike of the game is that it only saves at the beginning of each new chapter. If you stop half way through a chapter you need to start over. Thankfully they are short.

Hopefully it is enough information to let you know if it is something you would like to spend the money on.
Post edited February 21, 2020 by greyhat
XYCat: quest for braces
MarkoH01: Actually these braces are really confusing me. What do they have to do with the game?
The Braces also depict a butterfly, which is referenced a few times in the game.

My thoughts are as a depiction of change as well as innocence which is something open to interpretation
Post edited February 21, 2020 by greyhat
greyhat: Hopefully it is enough information to let you know if it is something you would like to spend the money on.
Yes, thank you very much. Your insights are extremely helpful.
greyhat: Hopefully it is enough information to let you know if it is something you would like to spend the money on.
MarkoH01: Yes, thank you very much. Your insights are extremely helpful.
You are welcome. :)
MarkoH01: Unfortunately this is once again a trailer that does not give me a true idea of the actual gameplay. Is this a walking sim or does it have actual puzzles?
I´m always baffled by why devs do this. If the trailer gives me no gameplay whatsoever then why should I buy the game just because the trailer may look cool?
My game doesn't have a forum for it, so nowhere really to post questions/issues. Anyone have any issues with the mouse scrolling non stop upward, so that you are stuck looking at the ceiling or is it just me?
Kohleran: My game doesn't have a forum for it, so nowhere really to post questions/issues. Anyone have any issues with the mouse scrolling non stop upward, so that you are stuck looking at the ceiling or is it just me?
I don't have the game but the first thing I would try was to disconnect any USB gamepads, joysticks or other gaming controllers, if you are not using them with the game.

If you don't have any such gaming controllers, it could also be that the game somehow mistakes some other USB peripheral as a gaming controller.

Or then it is something else.
Post edited February 22, 2020 by timppu
Kohleran: My game doesn't have a forum for it, so nowhere really to post questions/issues. Anyone have any issues with the mouse scrolling non stop upward, so that you are stuck looking at the ceiling or is it just me?
I noticed there is no forum set up for SORF as well. Hopefully some one from GOG sets one up.

I have not noticed this issue with the mouse. If I do I will post it here. Maybe check the Steam forums.....if you dare. Bwahahahah
timppu: I don't have the game but the first thing I would try was to disconnect any USB gamepads, joysticks or other gaming controllers, if you are not using them with the game.

If you don't have any such gaming controllers, it could also be that the game somehow mistakes some other USB peripheral as a gaming controller.

Or then it is something else.
It doesn't do it in other games, but I bet you a dollar you are right. --- Yepp. You were spot on. This game can use the controller and thought I was using it I suppose. The controller had a book on it with the stick pushed up. *roll eyes* thank you.

EDIT response to Timppu: Yeah, I'm not 100 percent that it wasn't that. I just disconnected it and it solved the issue. I assumed it was pushing the stick, since there was something on top of it.
Post edited February 22, 2020 by Kohleran
Kohleran: It doesn't do it in other games, but I bet you a dollar you are right. --- Yepp. You were spot on. This game can use the controller and thought I was using it I suppose. The controller had a book on it with the stick pushed up. *roll eyes* thank you.
Oh ok. :D In some (usually older) games merely having an analog controller connected may mess up the controls, like I recall that in Soul Reaver, having an analog gamepad or joystick connected to the PC may make your character run in circles even without you touching the controller.
Post edited February 22, 2020 by timppu