It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

It’s time to re-enter Twin Lakes – America’s 34th most haunted city. Join Detective McQueen as he puzzles his way through 6 chilling cases, risking life and pixelated limb to solve the macabre mysteries that plague the poor town.

The Darkside Detective: A Fumble in the Dark is now available on GOG.COM sporting a 10% discount until 22nd April 2021, 1 PM UTC! During the same time, The Darkside Detective is available 55% off.

Share our love for games? Subscribe to our newsletter for news, releases, and exclusive discounts. Visit the “Privacy & settings” section of your GOG account to join now!
KoreaBeat: If you buy on GOG you can just download from your library, Galaxy free.
nightcraw1er.488: Not necessarily. Installers have mostly been updated to galaxy structure (there is another thread on this, but due to broken search can’t find right now). Also most now have galaxy components embedded (you can see this occasionally if there is a change log -rare- as there will be a line [WIN] internal updates, it means galaxy stuff added, installer changed to be galaxy style etc.). So no, just using the offline installer does not mean a galaxy free experience.
https://www.gog.com/forum/general/gog_galaxy_required_in_certain_games
With that logic nearly every game here also is a Steam only game since it still has Steam DLLs inside. Imo there's a difference if you have files that are used normally for a client or if said client is required to be used which is not the case in the games you mentioned. We are talking about DLLs which don't do anything when the game is launched without Galaxy.
Post edited April 18, 2021 by MarkoH01
I couldn't resist and bought it, I hope it's as good as the first one I really liked.
nightcraw1er.488: Not necessarily. Installers have mostly been updated to galaxy structure (there is another thread on this, but due to broken search can’t find right now). Also most now have galaxy components embedded (you can see this occasionally if there is a change log -rare- as there will be a line [WIN] internal updates, it means galaxy stuff added, installer changed to be galaxy style etc.). So no, just using the offline installer does not mean a galaxy free experience.
https://www.gog.com/forum/general/gog_galaxy_required_in_certain_games
MarkoH01: With that logic nearly every game here also is a Steam only game since it still has Steam DLLs inside. Imo there's a difference if you have files that are used normally for a client or if said client is required to be used which is not the case in the games you mentioned. We are talking about DLLs which don't do anything when the game is launched without Galaxy.
Indeed. If steam CEG is used then it needs to be removed to release here as with any drm. Question is why they then feel the need to start adding in galaxy and their own “requirements”. End of the day gog was supposed to be different, the only difference I see is the name (and perhaps a competency level).
MarkoH01: With that logic nearly every game here also is a Steam only game since it still has Steam DLLs inside. Imo there's a difference if you have files that are used normally for a client or if said client is required to be used which is not the case in the games you mentioned. We are talking about DLLs which don't do anything when the game is launched without Galaxy.
nightcraw1er.488: Indeed. If steam CEG is used then it needs to be removed to release here as with any drm. Question is why they then feel the need to start adding in galaxy and their own “requirements”. End of the day gog was supposed to be different, the only difference I see is the name (and perhaps a competency level).
They felt the need ti add Galaxy because they wanted to attract ADDITIONAL customers - it has nothing to do with wanting to be like Steam. Also a Steam FILE is NOT Steam CEG. I completely agree that DRM should not be here but a simple file is NOT and will NEVER be DRM in itself. If you would delete part of the game it also would not start anymore ... you are worrying just because the file is called "steam.dll" or "galaxy.dll" really? GOG has done a lot in the past for which everybody should criticise them imo but this is ridiculous if you ask me.
Post edited April 19, 2021 by MarkoH01
nightcraw1er.488: Indeed. If steam CEG is used then it needs to be removed to release here as with any drm. Question is why they then feel the need to start adding in galaxy and their own “requirements”. End of the day gog was supposed to be different, the only difference I see is the name (and perhaps a competency level).
MarkoH01: They felt the need ti add Galaxy because they wanted to attract ADDITIONAL customers - it has nothing to do with wanting to be like Steam. Also a Steam FILE is NOT Steam CEG. I completely agree that DRM should not be here but a simple file is NOT and will NEVER be DRM in itself. If you would delete part of the game it also would not start anymore ... you are worrying just because the file is called "steam.dll" or "galaxy.dll" really? GOG has done a lot in the past for which everybody should criticise them imo but this is ridiculous if you ask me.
As has been talked about in other threads, having reliance on additional components, such as galaxy dll and other files, which have no need to be there whilst not being drm - and you will note I never said it was drm - is unacceptable and prone to breaking in the future.
Well they certainly have attracted additional customers, hundreds of those who want a steam experience but not steam. Hence why the store has lost all its selling points and is now being driven down the client online only route. Me, I won’t buy anything here. Galaxy destroyed any last credibility they had. I can be forced to use steams “optional” client if I want at cheaper prices.
In terms of this game, it is available drm and client free at Fireflower, hence I would buy there, and recommend anyone thinking of getting it, to get it there also.
nightcraw1er.488: As has been talked about in other threads, having reliance on additional components, such as galaxy dll and other files, which have no need to be there whilst not being drm - and you will note I never said it was drm - is unacceptable and prone to breaking in the future.
Why? You have some (really small) files you don't need in your install directory ... where's the problem? In most cases you don't need the readme files stored inside of the installation - completely unnecessary as well ... in most cases you don't even KNOW if a file in your directory is still necessary because - how could you? I really fail to see any downside here at all (I might see this different if the files in question would take much space but even a very low spec system yould easily store those additional few data).

nightcraw1er.488: Well they certainly have attracted additional customers, hundreds of those who want a steam experience but not steam.
Maybe you should define "Steam experience". The problem is that most platforms today offer a client (even itch.io has a client - though it is not really good) and many platforms offer achievements. It is not just "Steam experience" it is an experience especially younger people are used to have. GOG built their store on the principle of DRM-Free and Good Old Games ... then they noticed that they would not survive with good old games alone and so they expanded into the indie market and after a while they began to attract those customers who were used to clients as well. They decided to create a client BUT without making it mandatory (except for a few games which I criticise as well) as a compromise. GOG simply is trying to offer the best of both worlds without the downside which is DRM and forced log in to play games. Why does it only have to be the one or the other?

nightcraw1er.488: Hence why the store has lost all its selling points and is now being driven down the client online only route.
All its selling points? Correct me if I am wrong but the games (yes, I know about the very few and shameful exceptions) here are still DRM-free, or not? I also can't see a route ... if GOG is in fact pursuing the online onlie "route" they are driving really slow. Did they make mistakes in the past? Of course they have - hell, they deleted threads of mine because I critizised something (even though it was meant to be helpful from my side) I obviously wasn't allowed to critizise ... but everybody makes mistakes and not everything here is bad.

nightcraw1er.488: Me, I won’t buy anything here. Galaxy destroyed any last credibility they had. I can be forced to use steams “optional” client if I want at cheaper prices.
Well, good luck with the "optional" part on Steam then because in opposite of GOG the majority of Steam games are still DRM'd. But since Galaxy exists since years now, it confuses me a bit why it took you so long to abandon this store.

nightcraw1er.488: In terms of this game, it is available drm and client free at Fireflower, hence I would buy there, and recommend anyone thinking of getting it, to get it there also.
Nothing wrong with stating this (it is more or less the same as with me telling people that Memoria and Chains Of Satinav is multi language and DRM-Free on Humble while it is English only here on GOG) - but I still think that you are overreacting here.
Post edited April 19, 2021 by MarkoH01