It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

In a mood for a turn-based tactics adventure? We got you! The Bookwalker: Thief of Tales is now available on GOG with a -10% launch discount until June 29th, 4 PM UTC!

With The Bookwalker: Thief of Tales, you’ll get a chance to step into a captivating narrative adventure. You’ll take up the role of Etienne Quist, a writer-turned-thief gifted with the extraordinary power to immerse himself within the pages of books. Harnessing this unique ability, you will embark on an exhilarating quest that traverses between the reality and the enchanting worlds found within books.

Your objective will be twofold: to recover your lost creative prowess and to reclaim your gift for writing. To achieve this, you'll need to venture into various literary realms, using your exceptional powers to steal artifacts of a legendary status, such as Thor's Hammer, or Excalibur. By obtaining these prized items, you will gradually restore your ability to weave stories and once again harness the power of the written word.

Now on GOG!

Moreover, on June 27th, 4 PM UTC, we'll be streaming The Bookwalker: Thief of Tales on our Twitch channel; be sure to join us!
Post edited June 23, 2023 by Piranka
Sounds like a game that leaves no adjective unturned
Sounds like Jasper Fforde
Yet another game that launches without achievements. If the look of this didn't remind of Sanitarium so much, I'd immediately delete it from my wishlist.
Post edited June 22, 2023 by Ice_Mage
Just took a look, definitely interesting! The story sounds fun, and for this price i can't do anything wrong. Welcome to my gog collection!
One of the few ideas that could still surprise me - this was a no brainer purchase, looking forward to give it a go :)
Post edited June 22, 2023 by Tarhiel
That is a very good trailer. I'm intrigued.
See in a review that it contains just six stories and supposedly takes about six hours.

And, for those who want the more important sections without clicking:

"Just about all of the puzzles have solutions that are easy to solve. Some of the solutions are laid out via the choices presented when interacting with something, while a majority of the others rely on actual logic versus something that only makes sense in the point-and-click format. Your choices also don't lead to dead ends, so there's no way to get yourself into a situation where the solution escapes you, making this a game where even non-puzzle fans will be able to easily figure out what to do in every scenario.

A purely puzzle-based focus would've been fine, but the game also adds in some turn-based battles to spice things up. It works just like an RPG in that you select your attack, pick the target, and let the command go through before the enemy does the same to you. Your attacks range from one simple hit to a stomp that stuns everyone, but what makes this different is the reliance on ink for your moves. Everything costs ink, and while you can replenish ink with items, you'll rely on one of your moves that targets one enemy and delivers damage in exchange for a partial refill of your ink meter. Since that move costs nothing, it ensures that you aren't left helpless if you're bad at managing ink levels in a fight.

Don't expect the combat system to be too deep. You don't have any XP system, so your ink and health reserves never increase. You get one new move until the very end of the game, and those moves only get one upgrade from beginning to end. The combat doesn't get very deep, and while there is a good chance that you'll die, jumping back into the book and trying again simply places you back in the fight, with the enemy having kept all of their damage from the previous fight. Those expecting to get some challenge from the combat won't find it here, but it remains a nice feature to have since it still performs its basic functions without much difficulty.

There's not too much else to grouse about that wasn't touched on earlier. While there appear to be instances where choices matter, it's more superficial, as it only changes some of the dialogue and whether you get locked out of some Achievements instead of drastically changing the story outcome."
Cavalary: See in a review that it contains just six stories and supposedly takes about six hours.

And, for those who want the more important sections without clicking:

"Just about all of the puzzles have solutions that are easy to solve. Some of the solutions are laid out via the choices presented when interacting with something, while a majority of the others rely on actual logic versus something that only makes sense in the point-and-click format. Your choices also don't lead to dead ends, so there's no way to get yourself into a situation where the solution escapes you, making this a game where even non-puzzle fans will be able to easily figure out what to do in every scenario.

A purely puzzle-based focus would've been fine, but the game also adds in some turn-based battles to spice things up. It works just like an RPG in that you select your attack, pick the target, and let the command go through before the enemy does the same to you. Your attacks range from one simple hit to a stomp that stuns everyone, but what makes this different is the reliance on ink for your moves. Everything costs ink, and while you can replenish ink with items, you'll rely on one of your moves that targets one enemy and delivers damage in exchange for a partial refill of your ink meter. Since that move costs nothing, it ensures that you aren't left helpless if you're bad at managing ink levels in a fight.

Don't expect the combat system to be too deep. You don't have any XP system, so your ink and health reserves never increase. You get one new move until the very end of the game, and those moves only get one upgrade from beginning to end. The combat doesn't get very deep, and while there is a good chance that you'll die, jumping back into the book and trying again simply places you back in the fight, with the enemy having kept all of their damage from the previous fight. Those expecting to get some challenge from the combat won't find it here, but it remains a nice feature to have since it still performs its basic functions without much difficulty.

There's not too much else to grouse about that wasn't touched on earlier. While there appear to be instances where choices matter, it's more superficial, as it only changes some of the dialogue and whether you get locked out of some Achievements instead of drastically changing the story outcome."
yet, they gave it an 8/10
Ice_Mage: Yet another game that launches without achievements. If the look of this didn't remind of Sanitarium so much, I'd immediately delete it from my wishlist.
Hi, I'm posting to let you know that someone on my friends list (greyhat) has just started playing The Bookwalker: Thief of Tales and looking at my activity feed, he has just unlocked 3 achievements in the game.
Now the 3 achievements are all ranked Legendary at present, so whether that is because he is amongst the first to unlock them or they aren't working properly I don't know.
Doc0075: Hi, I'm posting to let you know that someone on my friends list (greyhat) has just started playing The Bookwalker: Thief of Tales and looking at my activity feed, he has just unlocked 3 achievements in the game.
Hello and thank you. I still don't see any achievements listed for the game*, which means they were left in Development mode. It only takes a couple of clicks for either the developers or staff to set them to Production. I'll post about it in List of Broken achievements thread and see if Alexim feels like contacting them. I've reached my limit of dealing with either for the time being.

* https://www.gog.com/u/ (your username goes here) /game/1915718900
sbaylus: Sounds like Jasper Fforde
I would love a game series based on Thursday Next adventures!
dyscode: yet, they gave it an 8/10
Well, they liked it. And, with the obvious exception of the short length, if those six hours are accurate, I don't see what I quoted as bad. The logical puzzles part is good either way you look at it, and the combat part would mainly be a warning for those who may expect something else, since for just some added spice to what's mainly a mainly puzzle game looks quite right to me.