It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Battle of the hexes.

Strategic Command series is now available DRM-free. Check here for all the series' entries, going for up to 50% off until February 19th, 2pm UTC.

The celebrated turn-based strategy, where history is shaped out of carefully places tiles and hexagons, is here in full force! Command your troops in land or at sea, employ diplomacy if you need to, play both sides of these monumental conflicts and prevail with method and patience.

Pick the one to start with and then keep moving from there, one tile at a time:

Strategic Command WWII: War in Europe (-50%)

Strategic Command WWII: World at War (-25%)

Strategic Command Classic: WWI (-50%)

Strategic Command Classic: WWII (-50%)

Strategic Command Classic: Global Conflict (-50%)
Really good releases !
Glad to see finally this coming here :)

Emob78: As far as the new ones I've only played War in Europe, but from the looks of it World at War is an expanded campaign with the Pacific added. I can't see a reason to get both, but Europe at War is a good game. Long campaigns though, so I imagine World at War campaigns will take even longer.
Well, if I may...
Scale of the map isn't really the same, and so the number of units on European front is less in World at War. (I'm lacking the good words to explain better, I hope you'll still understand what I try to say). This leads to a less detailed European front in World at War, but this was chosen to have a manageable and more enjoyable world conflict.
So it will depends of what you want more : detailed European theater or world conflict :)
And if I remember well, if there are new improvements in World at War in the game or rules, they will be included in Europe at War.
TentacleMayor: That's some real grognard stuff. NATO counters and visuals from the 90s.
For me, the Strategic Command serie is a very good balance between accessibility/grognard/enjoyability (saying this just in case people would be afraid when seeing counters ;D).
TentacleMayor: Shame about the WW2 fixation, would go for something more modern. Don't people ever get tired of WW2?
Hopefully one day we will see "Flashpoint Campaigns Red Storm" and "Armored Brigade" here too ! :D

Just in case this could interest some, one interview with the devs' : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yhn3d3LA5jE
Post edited February 13, 2019 by Splatsch
zlaywal: That Celeron is an ancient underpowered CPU from Intel from 2004, no need to fret so much.

For a quick comparison with yours, try this:

https://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu=Intel+Celeron+2.80GHz&id=644
gamesfreak64: (◑‿◐) owww, now i remember, owned a celeron many years ago, almost forgot about that ancient machine, yes it was a meh PC ... but better then a 486.

Thanks for the replies
In addition to those excellent replies, also note that the minimum requirements listed on Gog are not strict truth anyway, they are just rough approximations that are typically rounded up to avoid (A) complaints and (B) work.

For instance, some game that requires 300 MB (as measured in installation, and as listed in the right column in the store page, and as shown in archive.org mirrors of pages from 2017 and earlier) will nonetheless be shown as requiring 1 GB in the left column, almost always.

Similarly if there's a game series published over 5 years, the first and last game will often all show the same cpu and ram requirements, as taken from the requirements of the most recent game, rather than showing the true lower requirements for the earlier games.

Obviously this helps avoid user disappointment, and also helps the publishers avoid having to research old game information, and so on, but still it's not absolute truth.

This doesn't help you very much, except that it might sometimes be the case that a game will run on your hardware even though the minimum requirements claim that it won't.

Buying something hoping that's the case is always risky, of course, so I'm just saying.

"2.66 but tends to switch automatically ( when the cpu sems too want it) to 3.1 ( info based on coretemp tool) "

First off, clean all dust out of your fans and case at least every 6 months to keep temperatures down. Few people do this, but typically it matters.

Taking that a step further, if you're not ready to buy a new PC, buy a new and better aftermarket CPU cooler fan (if you can still get them for an older cpu) and use a high quality thermal paste applied carefully (Google is your friend), like the popular Arctic Silver or Arctic MX-4.

That's pretty much guaranteed to lower your maximum cpu temperature and often avoid automatic underclocking from overheating.
Post edited February 13, 2019 by faroot
Splatsch: Hopefully one day we will see "Flashpoint Campaigns Red Storm" and "Armored Brigade" here too ! :D
Armored Brigade please. Strategic Command doesn't look as interesting as Gary Grigsby's War in the East (will that be here?) or Hearts of Iron 3 though.
trusteft: Apart from the very first in the series, I haven't played any of the rest. Is there any reason to buy anything other than the latest and greatest?
Emob78: As far as the new ones I've only played War in Europe, but from the looks of it World at War is an expanded campaign with the Pacific added. I can't see a reason to get both, but Europe at War is a good game. Long campaigns though, so I imagine World at War campaigns will take even longer.
Thank you.

Splatsch: Really good releases !
Glad to see finally this coming here :)

Splatsch: Well, if I may...
Scale of the map isn't really the same, and so the number of units on European front is less in World at War. (I'm lacking the good words to explain better, I hope you'll still understand what I try to say). This leads to a less detailed European front in World at War, but this was chosen to have a manageable and more enjoyable world conflict.
So it will depends of what you want more : detailed European theater or world conflict :)
And if I remember well, if there are new improvements in World at War in the game or rules, they will be included in Europe at War.
TentacleMayor: That's some real grognard stuff. NATO counters and visuals from the 90s.
Splatsch: For me, the Strategic Command serie is a very good balance between accessibility/grognard/enjoyability (saying this just in case people would be afraid when seeing counters ;D).
TentacleMayor: Shame about the WW2 fixation, would go for something more modern. Don't people ever get tired of WW2?
Splatsch: Hopefully one day we will see "Flashpoint Campaigns Red Storm" and "Armored Brigade" here too ! :D

Just in case this could interest some, one interview with the devs' : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yhn3d3LA5jE
Thank you.

BTW, if you want something similar but in a more recent setting, SSI's Red Lightning is a fun game. A bit old, but still great.
Years ago I did a video on it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sZdhufu8Hlw
trusteft: Any relationship to the other Strategic Command game sold here, you know..the original?
Orpheus-GOG: You mean European Theater? If that's the case, then no, it's not the same series. Same Developer though (Fury). Different Publisher.

But it's pretty much the same thing.

Edit: to delete a URL that, for some reason, refused to play nice in the post.
Thank you.
Post edited February 13, 2019 by trusteft
So does Slitherine intend to release any of the Ageod games that a lot of us are waiting for?

Or is it just going to be Matrix games catalog and smaller developers?
Matruchus: So does Slitherine intend to release any of the Ageod games that a lot of us are waiting for?

Or is it just going to be Matrix games catalog and smaller developers?
I sure hope so. Haven't seen anything about it on the Matrix or Ageod forums yet, though. My guess would be eventually, yes. At least the older ones like Wars in America, Pride of Nations, and their Civil War games. Ageod's first game with their new engine (Field of Glory Empires) should be coming out later this year. Maybe that will be the time they spring a release bundle on us.
Message for Gog. I have raised this in the forum to. WW2 War in Europe is advertised as including the Community Pack DLC. My copy, purchased yesterday, does not appear to do so. I have varified the files to make sure. I imagine this is an oversight somewhere in the process. Can you please address this ASAP. Thanks.
tfishell: A 2006 and 2009 game, some good old games in there :)
i have many good old games: 90's - 2009 was a good decade for games :D, the last 5 -10 years lot's of games were released but i have few of them because i found the majority to be meh compared to the realy good games: 90-early 2000.
sharify: Message for Gog. I have raised this in the forum to. WW2 War in Europe is advertised as including the Community Pack DLC. My copy, purchased yesterday, does not appear to do so. I have varified the files to make sure. I imagine this is an oversight somewhere in the process. Can you please address this ASAP. Thanks.
That sounds disappointing. The DLC doesn't seem to be separately listed on Gog, but it is on Steam and is free.

Maybe you already knew this, but just to double check, the Steam DLC says that it includes user mods Fall Weiss II, Calm Before the Storm, 653H, Advanced Third Reich, and World War 3, 1946.

So if your game shows those then the DLC is actually integrated, which would be fairly logical. If not, then I guess they screwed up posting it to Gog.
Thanks for your response Faroot. I am afriad they do not show up at present. I suspect this was an oversite, but GoG are looking into it. I think it will be resolved shortly.
high rated
sharify: Thanks for your response Faroot. I am afriad they do not show up at present. I suspect this was an oversite, but GoG are looking into it. I think it will be resolved shortly.
This issue has been resolved a couple of hours ago and the DLC is now available.
Wishlisted.