It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Jack into the underbelly of Hong Kong.

<span class="bold">Shadowrun: Hong Kong</span>, the newest entry in the revived tech-meets-magic universe, is available now for Windows, Mac OS X, and Linux, DRM-free on GOG.com.

The Shadowrun renaissance continues in Shadowrun: Hong Kong the newest Kickstarted entry in the gritty cRPG series. If you're familiar with the increasingly impressive Shadowrun releases you should know what to expect - this time we're entering an Awakened Hong Kong, where life is cheap and everything is for sale. You're thrown into a high-tech-meets-magic corporate conspiracy, once again destined to navigate a complex network of contracts and social graces. If you're not yet familiar with the series, the Shadowrun experience is a mix of brilliant writing, a unique cyberpunk universe with a splash of magic, and challenging tactical combat. It's a cRPG lover's dream come true, and it seems we're not waking up anytime soon.

For more extra goodness, you can pick up the <span class="bold">Shadowrun: Hong Kong - Deluxe Edition</span>, complete with original soundtrack and PDF Art of Shadowrun: Hong Kong book. If you're not ready to make the commitment before trying the game, you can always upgrade later on.

Curse, deck or charm your way across the seedy underbelly of <span class="bold">Shadowrun: Hong Kong</span>, available now, DRM-free on GOG.com!

Stream watch:

Want to see the game in action? The MatCatPlays streaming pair will show it off tomorrow (Friday, August 21st) at Twitch.tv/GOGcom starting at 10pm GMT / midnight CEST / 6pm Eastern / 3pm Pacific. Jack in, jack out!
TL;DR: why the fuck is there a separate version of this called "Deluxe" with soundtrack and artbook? What are the devs thinking? It only makes for a poor value on the regular package, which should come with all the content they can gather at this point in order to sell well and please fans. I'm a backer and I got my soundtrack right here, but this is simply bad business.

Full version:
Once upon a time in the early days of GOG, it only dealt in downloadable classic games while the market for downloadable games was still in its infancy -- can you imagine, some would still resist having their entire game collection in a digital library. It was a different time, yes, but back then, there was a mantra that I never forgot: GOG would do its best to up the value of digital purchases of games with extra goodies (including expansions, can you imagine), somewhat compensating for the fact that one would pay for a download with no physical goods that many old-fashioned gamers treasured.

Several things made GOG unique back then, and life was good. Only two price points, only classics, goodies, no DRM, a community of like-minded people, etc. Over time, GOG had to adapt to appeal to a broader audience, while trying to retain the best of its philosophies. Along came regional pricing, paid DLC, paid expansions, new games (at first focusing on the indie market).

When I say GOG adapted to appeal to a broader audience, and looking at the changes to the site, it's apparent that it now appeals to a broader audience of devs, not customers, because it's obvious it can't be GOG's idea to start selling games like Pillars of Eternity at three or four different price points with its stupid separate extras. No, that would be opposite to their original mantra of maximum value for a game purchase.

I never doubted GOG kept true to this philosphy and still does. They had to adapt, but I'm not ranting against GOG here. It saddens me to see that even devs like Harebrained Schemes, that went to great lengths to keep its backers happy (I proudly backed them twice) are oblivious to the obvious truth that downloadable extras aren't premium, specially on release day, they're part of what makes a game valuable, and thus shouldn't be sold separately. This regular package with no extras (not even documentation), along with the laughable "Deluxe" edition, is bad business just like any useless paid DLC. Idiot moves like this make the informed fans look like clowns and can only result in bad blood, or worse, piracy.
Man, I friend of mine pre-ordered this game as a gift for me. I have the game in my library and still, no extra goods as pre-order bonus. No code or anything... already sent a ticket but no solution yet. :/
MaGo72: I just installed SR Hong Kong on Linux Mint 17.2. The installation took around 8 minutes. I do not know your system specs, but if you install it on an old laptop for example it might take a while to finish the installation.
Nah, this is bull. None of my other games, even the more demanding ones, took this long. The installation finally completed, but something went wrong as the folder is only 8 gigs and I can't play the game as parts are missing. Something is up with this installer and I can't get it to work.
I think the install problems, both with Galaxy and the length of the install process is due to the game having over 30,000 individual files. Galaxy seems to have issues sometimes with large file manifests and locks up on "getting file list", i've had that happen with multiple games.

I'm installing it on my laptop atm and it's taking a century. I notice my processor time is split between the installer and windows defender, so any AV checking each file is going to slow it down too.
MikeMaximus: I think the install problems, both with Galaxy and the length of the install process is due to the game having over 30,000 individual files. Galaxy seems to have issues sometimes with large file manifests and locks up on "getting file list", i've had that happen with multiple games.

I'm installing it on my laptop atm and it's taking a century. I notice my processor time is split between the installer and windows defender, so any AV checking each file is going to slow it down too.
I finally got it installed through Galaxy - my problems were with the regular installer.
MaGo72: I just installed SR Hong Kong on Linux Mint 17.2. The installation took around 8 minutes. I do not know your system specs, but if you install it on an old laptop for example it might take a while to finish the installation.
FearfulSymmetry: Nah, this is bull. None of my other games, even the more demanding ones, took this long. The installation finally completed, but something went wrong as the folder is only 8 gigs and I can't play the game as parts are missing. Something is up with this installer and I can't get it to work.
Two things come to mind:

1. On hanging at 2/3 of the install: it's likely a lot of the time and processing power needed for this install is used de-compressing files, which is an intensive labor indeed depending on the compressing method used (and knowing it grows from 3 to 11GB, they mush have used some serious, slow compression). This can take a LONG time.

2. On having an 8GB (and unsuccessful) install: are you completely sure your download was good? Unstable internet sometimes causes data loss specially on big downloads. Most of times GOG installers come with a file integrity check, does your file pass?
Another great Shadowrun game! It wasn't that long ago I was pining for a follow up to the SNES classic. This one seems to be a little tougher than previous games in the series. Perfect for those who've played the earlier ones, but newcomers might be better off with Dragonfall.
RafaelLVX: Two things come to mind:

1. On hanging at 2/3 of the install: it's likely a lot of the time and processing power needed for this install is used de-compressing files, which is an intensive labor indeed depending on the compressing method used (and knowing it grows from 3 to 11GB, they mush have used some serious, slow compression). This can take a LONG time.

2. On having an 8GB (and unsuccessful) install: are you completely sure your download was good? Unstable internet sometimes causes data loss specially on big downloads. Most of times GOG installers come with a file integrity check, does your file pass?
I let it sit for several hours, and when I came back it said it was installed, only it wasn't completely. I didn't run the integrity check but I've tried two separate downloads and both ran into the same problem. It's not a huge deal as I finally got it installed through Galaxy, but it was a bit annoying.
KevZapata: Man, I friend of mine pre-ordered this game as a gift for me. I have the game in my library and still, no extra goods as pre-order bonus. No code or anything... already sent a ticket but no solution yet. :/
All I can say is, be patient.

I was in the same situation, having received the game as a gift, but I was fortunate enough to catch GOG support before they wrapped up for the weekend.

I ended up sending a screenshot to show the situation, as requested by support, and after that the matter was rectified extremely quickly -- apparently, it's some kind of unspecified problem at GOG's end.
Post edited August 22, 2015 by blakstar
This is most certainly awhile in coming! And I'm not even really done with Dragonfall yet. A latter downtime of bug fixes would make it as polished as the former.
Just a minor point but heavy compression is not likely the issue with installation the difference in size is due to highly compressible files not aggressive compression settings. 7z fastest compression gets it to below 3g.
Played for a few hours and I love it. Dialogue and writing are all great like Dragonfall. And I have an instant liking to Kindly Cheng, she instantly reminds me of Yuen Qiu in Kung Fu Hustle:

http://www.themoviescene.co.uk/reviews/_img/156-3.jpg

Wonder if they got the inspiration from her lol
Attachments:
Post edited August 22, 2015 by cw8
cw8: Played for a few hours and I love it. Dialogue and writing are all great like Dragonfall. And I have an instant liking to Kindly Cheng, she instantly reminds me of Yuen Qiu in Kung Fu Hustle:

http://ia.media-imdb.com/images/M/MV5BMTk2Mjk0NTA1M15BMl5BanBnXkFtZTYwNzkzNTE3._V1_UY317_CR137,0,214,317_AL_.jpg

Wonder if they got the inspiration from her lol
Yeah the writing is incredible. The character back stories alone in HK are more engrossing and well written than some entire RPGs. Your image link is throwing me a forbidden error, but yeah there's defenitely a resemblence there!
Post edited August 22, 2015 by MikeMaximus
MikeMaximus: Yeah the writing is incredible. The character back stories alone in HK are more engrossing and well written than some entire RPGs. Your image link is throwing me a forbidden error, but yeah there's defenitely a resemblence there!
Well her:
http://www.themoviescene.co.uk/reviews/_img/156-3.jpg

Someone on GAF said that Duncan's potrait looked like he was based off Andy Lau. I didn't notice it at first but now I see a good distinction of it.
Post edited August 22, 2015 by cw8
Bumping this thread because I bought Shadowrun last Saturday when my sister bailed on a planned joint visit to my grandma due to a flat tire, and was left with nothing to do for the weekend. Was a bit bored and, having enjoyed Dragonfall, decided to buy. And I just finished it.

*slow clap*

Loved it. I spent all Sunday morning reading the game. I didn't really do anything, just read conversation text, descriptions, emails, etc... Backstory, whampoa quest, more backstory, quick 10 minute run, more reading. And 6 hours just flew. I didn't have such a good time with a game in quite a while. Despite the few bugs, it was one hell of a ride.

Congratulations to the devs on a game well done.