It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

(∩ •̀_•́) ⊃-(===>

Sanctuary RPG: Black Edition, the most modern roguelike ASCII dungeon crawler in town, is available now for Windows, DRM-free on GOG.com with a 25% launch discount!

Don't be fooled by appearances, this is no DOS-era oldie. Sanctuary RPG: Black Edition is everything that you'd normally expect from a modern roguelike - randomizable challenges, streamlined turn-based combat, and a healthy dose of not taking itself too seriously. The game has won numerous awards and praise for the extremely well designed roguelike RPG elements. The twist here are the graphics - fully designed and realised with ASCII art for that little bit of retro charm, and a one-of-a-kind experience.

Use your imagination in Sanctuary RPG: Black Edition, available now DRM-free on GOG.com! The 25% launch discount will last for one week, until Friday, February 20 at 5:59 PM GMT.

<span class="bold">TWITCH STREAM SPECIAL</span>
Our very own JudasIscariot will be streaming Sanctuary RPG: Black Edition on twitch.tv/gogcom!

He's never been good with letters and things. Help him figure out just what it is that he's doing, this Saturday, February 14th at 7pm GMT / 2pm EST / 11am PST
Post edited February 13, 2015 by Konrad
It's weird, I don't really like ASCII roguelikes that much but this one looks different enough to interest me.
I guess I'll see if someone made a watchable lets play about it.
Tarhiel: I am surprised and would not expect game like this ending here :D

Personally, I have to have at least some kind of graphics to be bale to play the game, but to each of their own.. and, who knows, maybe I will grow fond of ASCII art games in the future ;)
ASCII Art counts as graphics. :P
A little too retro, even for my tastes, but those graphics are surprisingly well made and detailed for ASCII art.

100+ MB download actually seems big for this kind of game. Does it have modern audio, does it simply have that much content, or why is it so "big"?
CharlesGrey: A little too retro, even for my tastes, but those graphics are surprisingly well made and detailed for ASCII art.

100+ MB download actually seems big for this kind of game. Does it have modern audio, does it simply have that much content, or why is it so "big"?
It has a slew of OGGs :)

The bonus OST boasts over 62 tracks and it weighs in at approx. 200 MB in MP3 format so imagine how much the OGGs weigh :)
Finally I can test drive my new 970 ;)
CharlesGrey: A little too retro, even for my tastes, but those graphics are surprisingly well made and detailed for ASCII art.

JudasIscariot: It has a slew of OGGs :)

The bonus OST boasts over 62 tracks and it weighs in at approx. 200 MB in MP3 format so imagine how much the OGGs weigh :)
I wonder how big the actual game data is... The music is probably composed in a suitable retro style though, to match the graphics... ? Makes you wonder why they didn't use mod format or something like that.
Dzsono: Finally I can test drive my new 970 ;)
Let us know if you can run this in "Ultra" settings. :D
Post edited February 14, 2015 by CharlesGrey
And i thought i was old-school enough... :P
Dzsono: Finally I can test drive my new 970 ;)
CharlesGrey: Let us know if you can run this in "Ultra" settings. :D
Ugh, it requires a discrete PhysX processor ;)
Unless there is a mod to make it look, play, and sound exactly like Freddi Fish 2... I will not even bother. >:(
Gengar78: Unless there is a mod to make it look, play, and sound exactly like Freddi Fish 2... I will not even bother. >:(
Why? Freddi Fish 2 is like the wurst gaem evur maed.
Gengar78: Unless there is a mod to make it look, play, and sound exactly like Freddi Fish 2... I will not even bother. >:(
omega64: Why? Freddi Fish 2 is like the wurst gaem evur maed.
U WOT M9? I'11 h4v u kno 7h4t I am teh ultim8 crab-scoper in le worl. I h@v b34t3n teh h1ghsc0rz of num0rus5 s1bling$ and H@V 0v3r 3OO (luminarty) cunfrimed kill. Ur Fr1kin ded k1dd0!
Ummm ok that is definitely ... something.

It reminds me of the old BBS games like Legend of the Red Dragon (LORD) which I loved. But most of the fun with that game was helping/hurting other players. Don't know how well it would translate single-player with all ANSI art (I agree with Wishbone, technically this is more ANSI than ASCII). Might have to give the demo a try.

Also, whats with developers/publishers selling a game on GOG but not mentioning it anywhere on their website? They only have links to buy on Steam. Thats poor form.
Great release, thank you very much GOG for bringing this in the catalog. I really liked the classic version (desura version), and got some experience with the expanded Steam version during early access. Now with the GOG version, I can really appreciate playing the game more often without a client needed to run it. I look forward to the stream too if I can make it! I am curious, when I watch it, on the class used and how far it'll be played assuming a new game in classic mode. Seeing the back stories to new characters can be quite silly too! I like the kraste wizard myself but I am willing to explore others in due time. Thanks again on this release and twitch feature, much appreciated! :)

Some helpful links I like (though can be kind of outdated with new versions):

http://sanctuaryrpg.wikia.com/wiki/Main_Page

https://www.reddit.com/r/SanctuaryRPG/comments/2qui9l/how_do_you_not_die_in_this_game/

http://www.reddit.com/r/SanctuaryRPG/comments/2q907c/quick_reference_txts/

http://www.reddit.com/r/SanctuaryRPG/comments/2pq9ao/classrace_synergy_guide/

Unrelated, the dev mentioning linux/mac support:
http://www.reddit.com/r/SanctuaryRPG/comments/2tt6ut/linux_and_mac_ports/
Post edited February 14, 2015 by shadowrgog
sunshinecorp: Thanks!!! Can't wait for a linux edition of this one.
JudasIscariot: I can't wait either :)
It runs fine with Wine. I ported it for my Mac with no problems. So I think it should also work with Linux.
low rated
GOG.com: (∩ •̀_•́) ⊃-(===>
Oh, aren't you such a clever kid. WOW, I could never do that, you must be some legendary computer hacker to be able to type it. It never gets old, it's fresh as that table flipping meme dump which is so totally not dumb.

Really, how did you all got so low...?