It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

It’s time to play the cult FPS with a huge graphical upgrade, including Ray Traced Emissive Lighting. Metro Exodus Enhanced Edition update is now available on GOG.COM!

Upgrades include DLSS 2.0 Inclusion, Ray Traced Emissive Lighting used throughout, FOV slider, increased framerates, and display resolutions. A Ray Tracing capable GPU is the minimum spec for this beast, and you can upgrade right now for free if you already own Metro Exodus.

GOG GALAXY users can access the update by activating the beta channel for Enhanced Edition. For offline users, there's a separate installer for this version available in their libraries. For more details, please check here on how to access Metro Exodus Enhanced Edition on GOG.

Share our love for games? Subscribe to our newsletter for news, releases, and exclusive discounts. Visit the “Privacy & settings” section of your GOG account to join now!
Themken: Like use a lasso tool or something and say make this area shiny.
Nope, this can no longer be done. We're not in rasterized land any more, Dorothy. But what you can do is trick the surface into being more reflective. The light does its own thing now in EE, no way to trick it.
Hmmm. After watching that Digital Foundry video, I'm actually interested now in giving this a try. Curses! =P But that'll have to wait for some other time. There's too much others stuff I'd be ignoring right now, and it'd be too soon for me to replay ME anyway.
WinterSnowfall: Global illumination is the developer equivalent of not having to care about anything that has to do with lighting. Which is nice. You put yer light sources and let them do their thing according to the laws of your simulated universe. Brahma approves.
The problem with this is devs will still have to make two versions since it'll be a good while before enough gamers will have only RT-capable cards as well as considering the much less capable console cousins. At the very earliest (probably still too soon) I expect it'll take for another 2 generations of GPUs before we see strictly RT-only-made games.
Post edited May 07, 2021 by Mr.Mumbles
Mr.Mumbles: The problem with this is devs will still have to make two versions since it'll be a good while before enough gamers will have only RT-capable cards as well as considering the much less capable console cousins. At the very earliest (probably still too soon) I expect it'll take for another 2 generations of GPUs before we see strictly RT-only-made games.
I think they'll eventually find a way to dumb down global illumination and have an RT emulation layer that runs, albeit in a quality reduced/barebones mode, on pretty much anything that has GPU compute capabilities.
Post edited May 07, 2021 by WinterSnowfall
Themken: I have been thinking of how some say the old version looks nicer and I can kind of see why in some scenes but developers should be able to do some tricks with enhanced lighting (back to more work again) in certain scenes where you want to accentuate certain things, maybe a face. A bit like the skilled painters in the 17th to 19th century did. Like use a lasso tool or something and say make this area shiny.
Just happened to watch this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2VGwHoSrIEU

At least I learned a lot about computer game graphics there, but then I am not a game designer anyway... Frankly, I thought earlier that this raytracing RTX stuff on games just means there are extra shiny surfaces (mirrors, windows etc.) that more accurately reflect images from the rest of the scene, but it seems to be more than that (shadows etc.).

EDIT: Ok someone already linked to that same video...
Post edited May 08, 2021 by timppu
CASBiGIS: I tested this version and it seems they fixed the washed gamma bug...

I play with a 1080p monitor with my RTX 2060 SUPER.
Solid 60 FPS on game, but less on Benchmark...
MysterD: I'm curious.

Do you have DLSS on?

VRS off or on?
If VRS is on - 2x? 4x?

Also, what's your monitor? I have 1080p 240hz G-Sync Viewsonic monitor, BTW.
Is an old LG 23EA53V
DLSS on Equilibrated
VRS off.

For some reason, if VRS is ON, the game looks very blurry.
WinterSnowfall: Releasing a free RTX/RDNA2 exclusive version of the game... during a long-lasting global GPU shortage. Thanks, I guess?
Don't forget on Steam it's Windows exclusive...
*cough* non-Feral-Interactive-originated Linux port missing on GOG *cough*

Themken: So, when is the Linux version for the non-enhanced version coming to GOG?
Yeah, exactly... Likely not anytime soon :/
Which is BS. This is one of the better newer native titles...

MaxFulvus: Metro Exodus Enhanced Edition is the new Crysis. See you in 5 years.
You are pretty severely mistaken but whatever...

Crosmando: ...
kohlrak: Fuck the new nomral. I'm still on an Accer Aspire One.
Which one?
I have one within hand reach and it's like 10 years old :P You literally listed just product line, and it just so happens to be long lived one :D

Themken: Like use a lasso tool or something and say make this area shiny.
WinterSnowfall: Nope, this can no longer be done. We're not in rasterized land any more, Dorothy. But what you can do is trick the surface into being more reflective. The light does its own thing now in EE, no way to trick it.
I didn't have opportunity to work on ray traced 3d game graphics yet but technically couldn't you just place a postprocessing filter on top of an asset's shader?
kohlrak: FFFFFFFFFFFFFFF

That's me pressing F to doubt. I have too much experience in the field to blindly believe that they actually optimized the game with ray tracing. Given Wirth's law, i think i'm gonna go with Occam's Razor and say you're full of it unless you provide some evidence. I also smell some inherent bias by the fact you appear to have bought the game twice.
MysterD: Played it (Metro Exodus: Old version) back when it first arrived in Xbox for PC Game Pass, when that was $1 for first month.

Bought it once, BTW. Got Metro Exodus (original version for Steam) from Humble in the $12 Humble Choice the other day (finally, after all these years); and then also received the EE version (from Steam) as a free upgrade with its brand-new release the other day.

DLSS 2.0 and VRS are major performance boosting techniques - so, I'm betting these features are what are causing the major performance improvements over the old version.

Also, DF has a big video on performance on Metro Exodus (original) vs. Metro Exodus EE :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NbpZCSf4_Yk

Namely, check around 31m in, where they compare performance on new version EE v. old version - where new version's out-performing the old.

EDIT:
You also have to keep in mind - most games right now are using both the old techniques of lighting & shadowing AND also RT techniques together. Think Battlefield 5, Watch Dogs: Legion, Shadow of the TR, etc etc.

Metro Exodus EE is only-RTX'd, so they tossed all the old techniques out that were piled on top of each other in the old-version and are only using RT here.
Dude, this is a sales pitch. Give me time stamps.
kohlrak: Fuck the new nomral. I'm still on an Accer Aspire One.
B1tF1ghter: Which one?
I have one within hand reach and it's like 10 years old :P You literally listed just product line, and it just so happens to be long lived one :D
To be honest, I don't know, 'cause the sticker fell off about 5 years ago. It has an AMD C60.

[url=https://kohlrak.sytes.net/~kohlrak/gaming_computer.html]https://kohlrak.sytes.net/~kohlrak/gaming_computer.html[/url]
Post edited May 08, 2021 by kohlrak
MysterD: I'm curious.

Do you have DLSS on?

VRS off or on?
If VRS is on - 2x? 4x?

Also, what's your monitor? I have 1080p 240hz G-Sync Viewsonic monitor, BTW.
CASBiGIS: Is an old LG 23EA53V
DLSS on Equilibrated
VRS off.

For some reason, if VRS is ON, the game looks very blurry.
VRS is a image degrading tech, for performance boosting:
https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2021-inside-metro-exodus-enhanced-edition-pc-exclusive

Variable rate shading (VRS) is also added, but this is a Tier 1 implementation primarily affecting forward rendered objects such as transparencies. 2x and 4x modes are available, degrading transparency quality. I would only recommend using the 2x mode and it should be disabled completely if you're using DLSS. While VRS has limited utility, DLSS is just amazing as usual - and as Metro Exodus shipped with the first iteration of DLSS back in 2019, it's fun to see the gigantic improvement the latest 2.1 version delivers. RT noise artefacting aside, even DLSS performance mode delivers an overall improved level of visual quality up against native resolution rendering at 4K, thanks to better realisation of sub-pixel detail and less shimmer.
B1tF1ghter: I didn't have opportunity to work on ray traced 3d game graphics yet but technically couldn't you just place a postprocessing filter on top of an asset's shader?
Shader magic is still available, but works differently. I think this video explains it best. And this one is also relevant.
Post edited May 09, 2021 by WinterSnowfall
Aparently, Nvidia PhysX by GPU is broken like in the original version...
Attachments:
B1tF1ghter: I didn't have opportunity to work on ray traced 3d game graphics yet but technically couldn't you just place a postprocessing filter on top of an asset's shader?
WinterSnowfall: Shader magic is still available, but works differently. I think this video explains it best. And this one is also relevant.
Thanks, I'll watch it later ;)

CASBiGIS: Aparently, Nvidia PhysX by GPU is broken like in the original version...
What should I be looking at here?
Is it about the missing shaders on the rubble?
sweet, might be a while before I can experience it but it looks great!
Post edited May 11, 2021 by Dollarmoth