It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

In a mood for a old-school inspired action RPG? We got you – Islands of the Caliph is now available on GOG!

Islands of the Caliph will transport you to a world of ancient maritime culture steeped in Middle Eastern folklore and Islamic spiritual heritage. This action RPG draws inspiration from revered classics such as Might & Magic, Questron, and Alternate Reality. Embracing elements like grid-based movement, it seamlessly blends them with real-time combat, offering a dynamic hybrid gameplay experience that feels both nostalgic and contemporary.

Now on GOG!
tremere110: Keyboard only... as a feature. I'll grant that's an interesting decision. Of all the limitations of old games, no mouselook isn't one that was particularly appealing to me. I'll keep an eye on this though.
To me, I actually do consider keyboard only to be a feature (in fact, that's my current plan for the RPG I want to make, except that I'm planning on having gamepad control available as well, but no mouse), since I find it easier to use only one input device, and it's definitely preferable to having to use the touchpad of a laptop.

(On the other hand, the "Action" aspect of the game is a bit of a turn-off to me, particularly since it's something that (many of) the games used as inspiration didn't have.)
Hopefully GoG will fix this downloading issue as they're having a big sale, so I would hope they could extend it due to the outage! I just DL'd/Installed the demo, and it's going into the cart!

EDIT: YES! IT WORKS! I just downloaded this via my browser, and not Galaxy, I'm installing it right now!
Post edited February 09, 2024 by DNMR2K5
DNMR2K5: I just DL'd/Installed the demo, and it's going into the cart!

EDIT: YES! IT WORKS! I just downloaded this via my browser, and not Galaxy, I'm installing it right now!
You downloaded the demo from GOG? How so? What is the URL for the GOG webpage?
I wonder what kind of engine is the game running ("in house"?) cause the requirements are awfully low compared to most games nowadays.
64MB required for the framebuffer compared to modern Unity pixel games wich list 2GB on the requirements?
Dark_art_: I wonder what kind of engine is the game running ("in house"?) cause the requirements are awfully low compared to most games nowadays.
64MB required for the framebuffer compared to modern Unity pixel games wich list 2GB on the requirements?
Steamdb lists an acknex.wdf/dll as part of the files which seem to indicate that the game is made in 3D GameStudio.

Edit: I've also stumbled upon a manual that states that acknex.dll should not be released with any finished game.
Post edited February 09, 2024 by mk47at
DNMR2K5: I just DL'd/Installed the demo, and it's going into the cart!

ValamirCleaver: You downloaded the demo from GOG? How so? What is the URL for the GOG webpage?
Not the demo, but the game itself.
Dark_art_: I wonder what kind of engine is the game running ("in house"?) cause the requirements are awfully low compared to most games nowadays.
mk47at: Steamdb lists an acknex.wdf/dll as part of the files which seem to indicate that the game is made in 3D GameStudio.

Edit: I've also stumbled upon a manual that states that acknex.dll should not be released with any finished game.
Thanks, had a look on SteamDB but didn't found any usefull info, like the "detected technologies" where the engine is usually stated.
Tried the demo. Not bad. Wishlisted for now. Still haven't even gotten around to give his other game, Star Explorers, a go since I bought it. *whistles innocently*
Will GOG get the demo?
Ditto for the demo... :P Added to my wishlist for now. Looks impressive!
i bought the game on itch.io.
awesome game never stop playing it.
tremere110: Keyboard only... as a feature. I'll grant that's an interesting decision. Of all the limitations of old games, no mouselook isn't one that was particularly appealing to me. I'll keep an eye on this though.
I find the idea awesome.

Just like an adult game had the feature "can be played with one hand!"
Oh this looks so awesome, easy wishlist.
Lovin' it so far, yet the manual save system is undermined by the save-when-you-quit feature, as it only keeps one save slot, quite unlike the games of old!

No matter, it just means that we'll have to literally manual save by backing up our actual saves! x^D
Post edited February 13, 2024 by DNMR2K5
DNMR2K5: Lovin' it so far, yet the manual save system is undermined by the save-when-you-quit feature, as it only keeps one save slot, quite unlike the games of old!

No matter, it just means that we'll have to literally manual save by backing up our actual saves! x^D
That's messed up. Basically makes it a roguelike in that sense if so, but since it does allow manual saving I'd consider it a bug really.

... though it seems it isn't.