It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

In a mood for a old-school inspired action RPG? We got you – Islands of the Caliph is now available on GOG!

Islands of the Caliph will transport you to a world of ancient maritime culture steeped in Middle Eastern folklore and Islamic spiritual heritage. This action RPG draws inspiration from revered classics such as Might & Magic, Questron, and Alternate Reality. Embracing elements like grid-based movement, it seamlessly blends them with real-time combat, offering a dynamic hybrid gameplay experience that feels both nostalgic and contemporary.

Now on GOG!
Cavalary: That's messed up. Basically makes it a roguelike in that sense if so, but since it does allow manual saving I'd consider it a bug really.

... though it seems it isn't.
Thanks for posting that thread, I just got done posting the same over there as well, the Dev needs to hear more voices on this subject.
Cavalary: That's messed up. Basically makes it a roguelike in that sense if so, but since it does allow manual saving I'd consider it a bug really.

DNMR2K5: Thanks for posting that thread, I just got done posting the same over there as well, the Dev needs to hear more voices on this subject.
Seems set on it as a design decision, so doubt it'll make any difference, sadly.
Oh, as a warning, starting a new game will also overwrite the save...
DNMR2K5: Thanks for posting that thread, I just got done posting the same over there as well, the Dev needs to hear more voices on this subject.
Cavalary: Seems set on it as a design decision, so doubt it'll make any difference, sadly.
Oh, as a warning, starting a new game will also overwrite the save...
Thanks for the heads-up, and thank fuck for my back-up save directory!

But yeah, that sucks, but at least the game doesn't! ;^)
DNMR2K5: Lovin' it so far, yet the manual save system is undermined by the save-when-you-quit feature, as it only keeps one save slot, quite unlike the games of old!

No matter, it just means that we'll have to literally manual save by backing up our actual saves! x^D

I've decided to un-wishlist the game because of this.

(The action aspect was already a bit borderline for me; part of the reason I like the really old WRPGs is *because* they're turn based.)

Although, I note that early WRPGs typically had only one save slot, though you could back up the disk that the game was saved on, or use a separate disk for a separate save. (Apparently, the MSX version of Final Fantasy also did this, with the save disk being a separate blank disk.)