It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Experiment and have fun in the ultimate playground as Agent 47 to become the master assassin. HITMAN - Game of The Year Edition is now available on GOG.COM with an astounding 70% discount that will last until 29th September 2021, 1 PM UTC.

Get ready for even more challenges! All games from the Hitman series available on GOG.COM receive 75% discounts lasting also until 29th September 2021, 1 PM UTC:

Share our love for games? Subscribe to our newsletter for news, releases, and exclusive discounts. Visit the “Privacy & settings” section of your GOG account to join now!
high rated
Dear Community,

Thank you for your patience and for giving us the time to investigate the release of HITMAN GOTY on GOG. As promised, we’re getting back to you with updates.

We're still in dialogue with IO Interactive about this release. Today we have removed HITMAN GOTY from GOG’s catalog – we shouldn’t have released it in its current form, as you’ve pointed out.

We’d like to apologise for the confusion and anger generated by this situation. We’ve let you down and we’d like to thank you for bringing this topic to us – while it was honest to the bone, it shows how passionate you are towards GOG.

We appreciate your feedback and will continue our efforts to improve our communication with you.
Post edited October 08, 2021 by chandra
high rated
Gog... I think this is your most pathetic release. Yet.
low rated
EnforcerSunWoo: How many of us have watched things get worse and worse and just continued buying regardless over the last few years? If people want change around here they have to act. Letting shit slide and looking the other way accomplishes nothing. It says to GOG that it is okay to ignore it’s customers, it is okay to not care about the quality of the services provided, it is okay to just keep up their bad behavior in general.

DRM contained within supposed DRM-free games
Parity between Galaxy and the offline installers
The offline installers
Highly questionable curation
GOG’s communication with the community
Lying to customers
Broken website

I will say that GOG doesn’t have to do anything to rectify these issues if they do not wish to. However, they started with a standard of quality that the older users have come to expect and are squandering and abusing.
So do you mean to say you refuse to buy anything from GOG, until all you demands (above) are met?

I am not buying from GOG in order to make some kind of political statement. I am buying games from GOG whenever they offer games I want to buy, in a (DRM-free) format that I want to buy. If it becomes too hard or painful for me to buy such games from GOG in general, then I would start "boycotting", ie. not buying games, GOG.

Is it enough action from me that for now I will not be buying Hitman, as it apparently can't be played fully offline? Or are you demanding more action from me?

Are you really suggesting I should stop buying any games from GOG e.g. because there are bugs in the forum software, or because you feel GOG is not communicating well enough with the user community? Many other stores don't even have a forum, and I would keep buying from GOG even if they removed the whole forum. I consider it as an extra service, not the reason to buy (or not to buy) games from GOG.

And no, GOG rejecting Devotion is not a reason for me to stop buying games from GOG either. Why should it be? I bought Devotion from the publisher's own store instead.
Post edited September 24, 2021 by timppu
high rated
"We would do everything to make the game available at GOG.com without DRM. The DRM-free aspect of GOG.com is one of our main features and we're really proud of it. The games we offer are probably already easy to get on torrent sites, but we believe gamers would prefer to buy their products legitimately than pirate them. They just need a good reason to buy those games and we give them those reasons by selling games at low prices, optimized to run on modern operating systems and adding great bonus materials."

-Adam Oldakowski

Remember this version of GOG? I sure do...
Not buying anything from GOG isn't for everyone, some people like myself will, for now, still get DRM-free games here, though I only buy at discounts. Of course if GOG has more situations comparable to the Hitman screw-up, that'll become fewer and fewer, but for now there are still DRM-free games here. (and I'm hoping Serious Sam 2 and 3 show up)

(also, not worth arguing with me over it frankly, very unlikely that I'll change my mind, but I understand if people want to reply to offer their own opinions)

ReynardFox: without DRM ... optimized to run on modern operating systems
The two most important things imo
Post edited September 24, 2021 by tfishell
joppo:
BreOl72: So, I dare say (without actually checking - but please, feel free to do so for yourself), that this thread features maybe 80 to 120 different users.
That isn't even a droplet in the ocean that is GOG's actual userbase.
I never had any expectations that all of those who think it's time to close their wallets would post here. We know most people don't even use the forum, either by never opening it or by reading without posting. Those people would silently leave and their purchases will be just as missed.
We will never know how many customers Gog will lose for this, but if there are enough Gog will have to react, in hopes of bringing most of them back.
So how will this affect future decisions about how far publishers are allowed to go on your platform? @GOG.COM An official statement would be nice. This is a SERIOUS issue.
high rated
Jigowatts121: The backlash of this release should have been an obvious outcome to them.
I don't think so. GOG and their parent company have made some unbelievably bad PR decisions.

The fake shutdown stunt and the reaction that followed?
Regional pricing and the reaction that followed?
Issues around Galaxy, user profiles, privacy etc. and the reaction that followed?
Pulling some games from the store and the reaction that followed?
And of course stuff around Cyberpunk 2077, some earlier tweet scandals, and everything.

It seems sometimes that GOG is living in their own reality and can't really understand how things are seen in the eyes of their paying customers.
low rated
Dear GOG community!

Thank you for bringing this topic to our attention. We’re looking into it and will be updating you in the coming weeks. In case you have purchased HITMAN and are not satisfied with the released version, you can use your right to refund the game. At the same time, while we’re open for meritful discussion and feedback, we will not tolerate review bombing and will be removing posts that do not follow our review guidelines.
Post edited October 08, 2021 by chandra
low rated
joppo: ...We know most people don't even use the forum,...
I absolutely agree. Most people simply buy the games they want and then go and play them - hopefully satisfied with their purchase. And if they aren't satisfied? Well, again - most of these will simply ask GOG for a refund, receive that refund, and then come back another time to buy another game...without bothering what dramas unfold in the forums.
joppo: We will never know how many customers Gog will lose for this
Again: I absolutely agree. Do you know, what we also never will know?
How many new customers GOG won by releasing Hitman GOTY.
Or how many customers they won, even without taking into account this much awaited release.
You know - new customers that simply join on a daily base, as new customers do in every store on every average day of the week.

edit: forgot to put GOG in the "How many customers..." line.
Post edited September 24, 2021 by BreOl72
trynoval: Just so you know - replacing someone's post with a "snip" is a manner to show that you disrespect what he is saying.
FYI, that is not necessarily the case. Maybe you've only encountered it in situations where the quoter was also hostile, but if one isn't specifically referring to individual points, omitting the post text is not necessarily disrepectful and sometimes preferable to quoting it in full or part.
high rated
chandra: At the same time, while we’re open for meritful discussion and feedback, we will not tolerate review bombing and will be removing posts that do not follow our review guidelines.
It's not "review bombing" when the reviews give better information on what is actually locked behind online DRM than the game's store page.

If you start removing those reviews now, it will only make you look even worse, like you're actively trying to hide the truth of the product you're selling from customers.
Post edited September 24, 2021 by Breja
high rated
chandra: Dear GOG community!

Thank you for bringing this topic to our attention. We’re looking into it and will be updating you in the coming weeks. In case you have purchased HITMAN and are not satisfied with the released version, you can use your right to refund the game. At the same time, while we’re open for meritful discussion and feedback, we will not tolerate review bombing and will be removing posts that do not follow our review guidelines.
Thank you for posting, and I really hope GOG and IO figure out how to make the majority of the game DRM-free. If not, remove it.

However I feel similar to Breja about the "review bombing".

"coming weeks" could be managements' way of hoping the anger will pass with time, but I don't think that will happen this time and I rather hope it doesn't.
Post edited September 24, 2021 by tfishell
chandra: At the same time, while we’re open for meritful discussion and feedback, we will not tolerate review bombing and will be removing posts that do not follow our review guidelines.
Breja: It's not "review bombing" when the reviews give better information on what is actually locked behind online DRM than the game's store page.
We will not remove reviews like that, only those that are against our review guidelines.
Post edited September 24, 2021 by chandra
high rated

Thanks for letting us know we've been heard. It remains to be seen what will come of this, but this is a good first step.

Of course this could have been easily avoided if the person who approved this release in the first place had applied an ounce of brain...

Hopefully you can persuade IOI to do the right thing and patch the game to work offline properly.
Post edited September 24, 2021 by my name is supyreor catte
high rated

Sounds a purge of all those negative reviews is coming.

If you have a complaint, just refund! But don't leave a negative review, that's review-bombing.

Wtf happened to GOG.