It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Experiment and have fun in the ultimate playground as Agent 47 to become the master assassin. HITMAN - Game of The Year Edition is now available on GOG.COM with an astounding 70% discount that will last until 29th September 2021, 1 PM UTC.

Get ready for even more challenges! All games from the Hitman series available on GOG.COM receive 75% discounts lasting also until 29th September 2021, 1 PM UTC:

Share our love for games? Subscribe to our newsletter for news, releases, and exclusive discounts. Visit the “Privacy & settings” section of your GOG account to join now!
high rated
Dear Community,

Thank you for your patience and for giving us the time to investigate the release of HITMAN GOTY on GOG. As promised, we’re getting back to you with updates.

We're still in dialogue with IO Interactive about this release. Today we have removed HITMAN GOTY from GOG’s catalog – we shouldn’t have released it in its current form, as you’ve pointed out.

We’d like to apologise for the confusion and anger generated by this situation. We’ve let you down and we’d like to thank you for bringing this topic to us – while it was honest to the bone, it shows how passionate you are towards GOG.

We appreciate your feedback and will continue our efforts to improve our communication with you.
Post edited October 08, 2021 by chandra
mrkgnao: He said that when he launched the game, he was asked whether he wanted to connect to IOI's servers and he said no.

As for enjoying it, he just began playing today, I believe, so his experience is limited. All he was saying was that he thought the game was DRM-free as he could refuse to connect and still play the game in a way that he considered enjoyable. ...
JackknifeJohnson: Seems there's a patch "found in the backup intaller page" that adds all unlockables in offline mode.
https://www.gog.com/forum/hitman_game_of_the_year_edition/how_to_remove_online_drm/post7
A review (by a verified owner) also mentions that patch.
The post that you link to doesn't mention that it unlocks anything, only that you can play the game offline, which we already know you can (but only basic story missions, without unlockables, progress, challenges, etc.).

P.S. Later posts seem to imply it does, but it's still unclear to me what is unlocked and what is not.

P.P.S. I posted a question there. We'll see what the guy answers. If it turns out that it's all unlocked offline and GOG simply was too clumsy (or too clever) to point it out at the beginning of this thread, then this is a story for the ages.
Post edited September 24, 2021 by mrkgnao
low rated
lostwolfe: to be fair to jim:

that sort of thing is a journey.

maybe you know who and where you're at, and that's fine. but for folks in that situation, it's not always easy disentangling who they are from what they've seen and internalized.

i still maintain that - given thequartering's stances on various issues, he's WAY more problematic than jim is.

[and clickbaity and generally awful for information, etc.]
BanditKeith2: The problem is he keeps hiding behind his sexuality to deflect valid criticism that never mentioned his sexuality nor used insults or slurs and was calm addressing valid criticism and its mighty suspect he came out as nonestrait when he was coitized for not doing research proper and hating on some someone on repeat for no reason and in unrelated stuff .. And he said that was trolls and people hating his for his sexaulity when all he shown was actual valid none hateful criticsim of his work he screen capped and he repeated that often .. so hes more a problem then the Guartering as Jim hides behind his sexaulity to try invaliding any critics .. where as the Quartering their was full proof shown he was unwarranted attacked by a person physically even had take legal action over it .. So yeah Jim giving a bad image to those who aren't strait he even is furthering bigoted sterotypes by doing that from painting valid criticism thats not hateful as hateful people ..He also isn't taken that serious anymore too
oh boy.

i'm not even sure where to begin here.

there are documented and repeated issues with thequartering.

maybe jim isn't your cup of tea and that's ok, but there IS a lot of hate directed at people like him for no good reason.
low rated
BanditKeith2: The problem is he keeps hiding behind his sexuality to deflect valid criticism that never mentioned his sexuality nor used insults or slurs and was calm addressing valid criticism and its mighty suspect he came out as nonestrait when he was coitized for not doing research proper and hating on some someone on repeat for no reason and in unrelated stuff .. And he said that was trolls and people hating his for his sexaulity when all he shown was actual valid none hateful criticsim of his work he screen capped and he repeated that often .. so hes more a problem then the Guartering as Jim hides behind his sexaulity to try invaliding any critics .. where as the Quartering their was full proof shown he was unwarranted attacked by a person physically even had take legal action over it .. So yeah Jim giving a bad image to those who aren't strait he even is furthering bigoted sterotypes by doing that from painting valid criticism thats not hateful as hateful people ..He also isn't taken that serious anymore too
lostwolfe: oh boy.

maybe jim isn't your cup of tea and that's ok, but there IS a lot of hate directed at people like him for no good reason.
Then explain why Jim never showed actual hateful comments and troll comments and only comments critiquing his content quality and issues with it but saying its all hate fromJims sexuality's ? As heres the thing if he showed actual hateful comments then that'd be fine .. but he hadn't thus That gives off deflection and trying to invalid actual valid critiques and/or being such a thin-skinned person with a victims complex many bigots say and portray none strait people are.. A.K.A weak willed and weak emotionally.. Get the problem with Jim now?

Where as I say the Quartering at least has a true attack on him and proof of it and while he has bad views and takes he atleast as far as I know had never done anything worth being physically attacked from
low rated
lostwolfe: oh boy.

BanditKeith2: Then explain why Jim never showed actual hateful comments and troll comments and only comments critiquing his content quality and issues with it but saying its all hate fromJims sexuality's ? As heres the thing if he showed actual hateful comments then that'd be fine .. but he hadn't thus That gives off deflection and trying to invalid actual valid critiques and/or being such a thin-skinned person with a victims complex many bigots say and portray none strait people are.. A.K.A weak willed and weak emotionally.. Get the problem with Jim now?

Where as I say the Quartering at least has a true attack on him and proof of it and while he has bad views and takes he atleast as far as I know had never done anything worth being physically attacked from
i think there's a pretty good reason why jim doesn't show that sort of commentary and i think it's easy to understand:

jim has an audience of like minded people watching him - and people who are in the same boat as he is. they - most likely - get to see that sort of thing first hand and up close all the time. they don't need to see more of it. they're aware it happens.

i would take his word - and i'd take it at face value - that he's being attacked, because that's just the world we live in. people who are a /little/ bit different get piled on for no good reason.

thequartering can handle his business in any way he chooses, but again - there's documented and REAL problems with him and with the way he manages his own drama.

personally: i'm inclined to believe jim over thequartering in any given situation.
SmollestLight: Story and bonus missions can be played offline :) For Escalation missions, Elusive Targets or user-created Contracts you will need an online connection.
All I will do is to quote a very old and wise man I know - "Bad show"
low rated
BanditKeith2: Then explain why Jim never showed actual hateful comments and troll comments and only comments critiquing his content quality and issues with it but saying its all hate fromJims sexuality's ? As heres the thing if he showed actual hateful comments then that'd be fine .. but he hadn't thus That gives off deflection and trying to invalid actual valid critiques and/or being such a thin-skinned person with a victims complex many bigots say and portray none strait people are.. A.K.A weak willed and weak emotionally.. Get the problem with Jim now?

lostwolfe: i think there's a pretty good reason why jim doesn't show that sort of commentary and i think it's easy to understand:

jim has an audience of like minded people watching him - and people who are in the same boat as he is. they - most likely - get to see that sort of thing first hand and up close all the time. they don't need to see more of it. they're aware it happens.

i would take his word - and i'd take it at face value - that he's being attacked, because that's just the world we live in. people who are a /little/ bit different get piled on for no good reason.

thequartering can handle his business in any way he chooses, but again - there's documented and REAL problems with him and with the way he manages his own drama.

personally: i'm inclined to believe jim over thequartering in any given situation.
Problem is I can't believe Jim without valid evidence shown .. while when saying he is getting uncalled for hate showing only valib calm and none hateful critguies as too many who have claimed such in the past later was found out to be lying so till he comes up with valid proof I can't believe or take his word.. Where as the Quartering has proof and documented proof even took it to the justice system if I recall right on the last mention .. So Why the heck can you excuse Jim not showing valid proof and not believe the Quartering when thier is documented proof about his physical attack ?
RPGFanboy: I don't think it would be possible to make a change to how the online stuff works with some major rework, which the are not going to do because time=money.
Lifthrasil: Well, there is a mod that restores a big part of the online content (don't know if all of it, but at least most). https://www.nexusmods.com/hitman3/mods/78?tab=description

So it is possible to make all that content available offline. The only reason it isn't available offline is, because IO wants to continue their online DRM model - and GOG gave them the OK to do so.
While a very generous and noble offering, it's still predicted that you first buy this DRM'D piece of shit as you *still cannot save while offline! for those of you that have it already, then good, but for me, it's an insta-bye!

*Please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, as I'm only going by what was said here in this thread!
low rated
BanditKeith2: Problem is I can't believe Jim without valid evidence shown .. while when saying he is getting uncalled for hate showing only valib calm and none hateful critguies as too many who have claimed such in the past later was found out to be lying so till he comes up with valid proof I can't believe or take his word.. Where as the Quartering has proof and documented proof even took it to the justice system if I recall right on the last mention .. So Why the heck can you excuse Jim not showing valid proof and not believe the Quartering when thier is documented proof about his physical attack ?
the state of the world makes me believe jim quite easily.

i have seen how people have rabidly attacked folks who are even a little bit different. by those standards, jim is A LOT different. so it isn't a stretch for me to believe what he is saying.

by turns, and as i've repeatedly stated: thequartering has REAL issues. documented ones. it would be difficult for me to take his word for what he says is happening to him. but i would believe other evidence from neutral parties quite easily. [because i'm sure there's plenty of that to go around in his specific case.]
high rated
mrkgnao: He said that when he launched the game, he was asked whether he wanted to connect to IOI's servers and he said no.

As for enjoying it, he just began playing today, I believe, so his experience is limited. All he was saying was that he thought the game was DRM-free as he could refuse to connect and still play the game in a way that he considered enjoyable. ...
JackknifeJohnson: Seems there's a patch "found in the backup intaller page" that adds all unlockables in offline mode.
https://www.gog.com/forum/hitman_game_of_the_year_edition/how_to_remove_online_drm/post7
A review (by a verified owner) also mentions that patch.
The same guy now says that the patch in fact doesn't seem to unlock anything beyond the expected default:
https://www.gog.com/forum/hitman_game_of_the_year_edition/how_to_remove_online_drm/post17

I find it hilarious that hundreds of users need to figure out what GOG's release contains or doesn't, instead of GOG actually bothering to tell us.
Lifthrasil: Well, there is a mod that restores a big part of the online content (don't know if all of it, but at least most). https://www.nexusmods.com/hitman3/mods/78?tab=description

So it is possible to make all that content available offline. The only reason it isn't available offline is, because IO wants to continue their online DRM model - and GOG gave them the OK to do so.
TZODnmr2k5: While a very generous and noble offering, it's still predicted that you first buy this DRM'D piece of shit as you *still cannot save while offline! for those of you that have it already, then good, but for me, it's an insta-bye!

*Please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, as I'm only going by what was said here in this thread!
I thought you couldn't play certain type of extra missions and unlock new things. Now you are saying you can't save your game offline too?
high rated
TZODnmr2k5: While a very generous and noble offering, it's still predicted that you first buy this DRM'D piece of shit as you *still cannot save while offline! for those of you that have it already, then good, but for me, it's an insta-bye!

trusteft: I thought you couldn't play certain type of extra missions and unlock new things. Now you are saying you can't save your game offline too?
The game has meta-progression, where you unlock new equipment, disguises, etc. This is central to the game, as it is a sandbox-type game, where the fun is in replaying missions with new options and challenges. This meta-progression does not exist if playing offline and therefore "not saved". The basic story mode (which is very limited) is saved.

Or so I understand.

See here for more:
https://www.gog.com/forum/general/release_hitman_game_of_the_year_edition_11093/post458
trynoval: snip
Nice, thank you trynoval! I joined the Denuvo group to follow its valuable info :)
high rated
MegisED: It's pretty sad that for every new release I now have to check the forums, the reviews, third party websites and random cyber-sleuths, just to make sure that a game sold on a website that 'supposedly' prides itself on selling DRM free games is actually DRM free.
This made chuckle! Describes my current routine when shopping for a drm-free game on GOG. Nowadays, there's sooooo much research to be done before I hit that purchase button.

I miss the days when shopping for a drm-free game was much more spontaneous: Add to cart. Check out. Complete order. Done! Zero research fueled by trust. ;)
mqstout: (rest of your post is good too, just highlighting this one).

I get so pissed off when people ask for GOG to make a "Steam Workshop" equivalent. It's like, no... Steam Workshop was a giant step backwards for game modding! It's a huge "lock in" tool that *has* prevented titles from being released outside of Steam.

I'm suspicious of this. Does the person game on an a computer that is kept offline entirely? Is it possible he's online and doesn't realize it? If the reports are fully accurate, he really is content with a game with but one weapon and a just couple stages?
Syphon72: Bro just trust him!!
While Steam Workshop is good for those who own the game on Steam and an easy way to download lots of mods for lots of different games over there - yeah, that's really it.

It doesn't solve the problem of say if you bought the game on say GOG, as they don't have a Workshop; you'd have to go hunting for the mod & find it...if you can.

You might need to find the actual files all over the Net, otherwise - like on a site if you can (like PC Gaming Wiki, if a mod is actually there) or say check Nexus Mods to see if it's over there.

Hopefully, file-types (like ZIP or whatever) are the same for SteamWorkshop and NexusMods for usage - as it would make it easy for those modders to throw them up on both sites. Thing is: will every modder throw their mods up on Nexus, even if it's already up on Steam WorkShop?

But, again - any proprietary stuff....yeah, when a game's going from one store to another - say the dev's likely have to say remove Steam Workshop support when they are re-porting that version over to the GOG version. That's going to take time, money, resources, man-power - so, that means they basically have to make another version just for GOG...and to support GOG's Features. For example, Shadowrun Trilogy has WorkShop Support on Steam - but there's no workshop over on say GOG...so I'd guess users/modders would need to surf online and/or check Nexus Mods for some modules for those games.

What's probably nice about really old games for dev's probably (i.e. from before Steam came out) - there was no achievements, no stat boards, no leader boards, and nothing else - so it's probably easy just for dev's to just toss the game onto Steam and GOG.
mannefriedrich: Another one of what could be considered a so-called 'whale' here - just filed for a refund as well, since there's really no point in wasting bandwidth on downloading 28,5GB worth of offline installer packages only for more (and continuous) bandwidth to be required and taken up for the majority of singleplayer content and the progression system(s) to function.

Will gladly pick it up again once the GOG release is in a state that's more in line with the '✔ DRM FREE (for the most part)' claim it's advertised with.

I do wonder - is the 'Ghost' bridge/wrapper that was utilised (to eventual success) for the proper DRM FREE GOG release of Deus Ex: Mankind Divided not something that could also be employed in HITMAN (2016)'s case?
To at least get the progression system(s) and unlocks to work completely offline?
Technically it's very easy to make EVERYTHING as part of online. On top of it, unlike with Deus Ex, you have alive studio-developer, who made the game, know the code and can easily rework it into fully offline.