It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Experiment and have fun in the ultimate playground as Agent 47 to become the master assassin. HITMAN - Game of The Year Edition is now available on GOG.COM with an astounding 70% discount that will last until 29th September 2021, 1 PM UTC.

Get ready for even more challenges! All games from the Hitman series available on GOG.COM receive 75% discounts lasting also until 29th September 2021, 1 PM UTC:

Share our love for games? Subscribe to our newsletter for news, releases, and exclusive discounts. Visit the “Privacy & settings” section of your GOG account to join now!
high rated
Dear Community,

Thank you for your patience and for giving us the time to investigate the release of HITMAN GOTY on GOG. As promised, we’re getting back to you with updates.

We're still in dialogue with IO Interactive about this release. Today we have removed HITMAN GOTY from GOG’s catalog – we shouldn’t have released it in its current form, as you’ve pointed out.

We’d like to apologise for the confusion and anger generated by this situation. We’ve let you down and we’d like to thank you for bringing this topic to us – while it was honest to the bone, it shows how passionate you are towards GOG.

We appreciate your feedback and will continue our efforts to improve our communication with you.
Post edited October 08, 2021 by chandra
low rated
MysterD: But, as companies keep learning further into say proprietary stuff (Steamworks for MP; GOG Galaxy for MP); central servers (like MMO's do); and/or their own stuff - this is the non-sense we will have to deal with...especially when games might need to be re-worked for different stores and their services.
mqstout: (rest of your post is good too, just highlighting this one).

I get so pissed off when people ask for GOG to make a "Steam Workshop" equivalent. It's like, no... Steam Workshop was a giant step backwards for game modding! It's a huge "lock in" tool that *has* prevented titles from being released outside of Steam.
mrkgnao: I just had an interesting chat with someone who bought the game but doesn't frequent the forum that much, if at all.

He was enjoying the game immensely, completely offline, and didn't understand why all the negative reviews when the game was obviously DRM-free for him.
mqstout: I'm suspicious of this. Does the person game on an a computer that is kept offline entirely? Is it possible he's online and doesn't realize it? If the reports are fully accurate, he really is content with a game with but one weapon and a just couple stages?
Bro just trust him!!
Magnitus: What we need at this point is for someone in the game development world to make an open-source library that supports all those drmed platforms as well as a self-hosted "drm-free" alternative and that becomes a standard of sorts for devs who would not mind supporting everything (GOG, Steam and drm-free multiplayer), but lack the time to do so.
...And Galaxy could and should have been that. Instead, they fucked it up and went with the proprietary client-locked model that doesn't have built-in direct connect fallback.
low rated
MysterD: Would be nice if they could make a "Server emulation" file so players can do some of the user-made missions, Escalation stuff, and Elusive Targets stuff offline.
I'm not super techy but I've been told GOG is basically already emulating a client on some level to trick games like Deus Ex Mankind Divided into working without one. So yeah if they patch it someday it would probably be something like that. I would very much guess they'll just let the story mode be preserved and the rest die though. Maybe the community can fix it like you suggest, like they do most things.
It's so sad that we couldn't have a fully DRM-free game.

I wasn't able to find any suitable wording for "DRM-free" games on User's Agreement:
https://support.gog.com/hc/en-us/articles/212632089-GOG-User-Agreement?product=gog

So this DRM-free promise on a website, does it mean that there is no clear obligation on GOG's side to provide such games?
mqstout: I'm suspicious of this. Does the person game on an a computer that is kept offline entirely? Is it possible he's online and doesn't realize it? If the reports are fully accurate, he really is content with a game with but one weapon and a just couple stages?
A lot of things are relative (some would argue that everything is, but I wouldn't go that far, but certainly a lot).

From what I read, its true that the Hitman game has a drm-free core that you can play offline.

Would the game be enjoyable even without the DRMed content? Probably (its an AAA game, I'm guessing its chokeful of content).

So yeah, if you are somehow unaware that the bulk of the game is locked away (because you haven't followed the development of that game or played that game before so you don't know what to expect), you can probably be blissfully ignorant about it and happy with the 50% of the game that is left.

Heck, if people had no mentioned it, I might have been blissfully ignorant about it, bought the game and played it, none the wiser (would have seen that some content is online-only in the game, but without knowing the substance of that content, I might have brushed it off as fluff content).

However, now that I know, I can't stand it and I will not support it with my money. Ideologically, it just rubs me the wrong way.

I'm very grateful that we have a lot of watchdogs in the community noticing these things and pointing them out.
Post edited September 24, 2021 by Magnitus
MysterD: But, as companies keep learning further into say proprietary stuff (Steamworks for MP; GOG Galaxy for MP); central servers (like MMO's do); and/or their own stuff - this is the non-sense we will have to deal with...especially when games might need to be re-worked for different stores and their services.
mqstout: (rest of your post is good too, just highlighting this one).

I get so pissed off when people ask for GOG to make a "Steam Workshop" equivalent. It's like, no... Steam Workshop was a giant step backwards for game modding! It's a huge "lock in" tool that *has* prevented titles from being released outside of Steam.
mrkgnao: I just had an interesting chat with someone who bought the game but doesn't frequent the forum that much, if at all.

He was enjoying the game immensely, completely offline, and didn't understand why all the negative reviews when the game was obviously DRM-free for him.
He said that when he launched the game, he was asked whether he wanted to connect to IOI's servers and he said no.

As for enjoying it, he just began playing today, I believe, so his experience is limited. All he was saying was that he thought the game was DRM-free as he could refuse to connect and still play the game in a way that he considered enjoyable.

I can tell you that when I played Dragon's Dogma, I didn't know that the whole companion scheme was meant to be online.
Post edited September 24, 2021 by mrkgnao
Cadaver747: It's so sad that we couldn't have a fully DRM-free game.

I wasn't able to find any suitable wording for "DRM-free" games on User's Agreement:
https://support.gog.com/hc/en-us/articles/212632089-GOG-User-Agreement?product=gog

So this DRM-free promise on a website, does it mean that there is no clear obligation on GOG's side to provide such games?
It's false advertisement. And depending on the user's local laws, it could be considered illegal.
low rated
lostwolfe: yongyea won't offer any interesting information other than to read what's out there. that's what he does.

and while thequartering WOULD wade into this, he's...ah...problematic. shall we say.

i'd pass on both of those. angryjoe would be the right person to go to. [and jim sterling, also.]

i can feel the downvotes incoming for mentioning jim, though. so pretend you didn't see that :P
BanditKeith2: Jim sterling at this point is basically a clown and is rather ''problematic'' himself worse then the Quartering in varies ways and Jim sterling loves to when he has any valid criticism about him stated in a reasonable none hateful manner ...as saying its a troll or hate for him being last I checked claiming to be trans when before he claimed to be gay then bi then nonbinary .. its rather telling when a guy like him hides behind such labels to try saying all valid and levelheaded none hateful phrased criticism towards his content is just bigots and him cycling through each sexual identity at different times
to be fair to jim:

that sort of thing is a journey.

maybe you know who and where you're at, and that's fine. but for folks in that situation, it's not always easy disentangling who they are from what they've seen and internalized.

i still maintain that - given thequartering's stances on various issues, he's WAY more problematic than jim is.

[and clickbaity and generally awful for information, etc.]
high rated
So how many angry gamers does it take to enact change here? Or are you guys just full of shit when justifying your terrible decisions?
paladin181: So how many angry gamers does it take to enact change here? Or are you guys just full of shit when justifying your terrible decisions?
I already wrote email to GOG and will not be buying the game. Also, voice my opinion on forums. I don't think boycotting GOG altogether is the right thing to do. But they need to step it up.
Post edited September 24, 2021 by Syphon72
low rated
BanditKeith2: Jim sterling at this point is basically a clown and is rather ''problematic'' himself worse then the Quartering in varies ways and Jim sterling loves to when he has any valid criticism about him stated in a reasonable none hateful manner ...as saying its a troll or hate for him being last I checked claiming to be trans when before he claimed to be gay then bi then nonbinary .. its rather telling when a guy like him hides behind such labels to try saying all valid and levelheaded none hateful phrased criticism towards his content is just bigots and him cycling through each sexual identity at different times
lostwolfe: to be fair to jim:

that sort of thing is a journey.

maybe you know who and where you're at, and that's fine. but for folks in that situation, it's not always easy disentangling who they are from what they've seen and internalized.

i still maintain that - given thequartering's stances on various issues, he's WAY more problematic than jim is.

[and clickbaity and generally awful for information, etc.]
The problem is he keeps hiding behind his sexuality to deflect valid criticism that never mentioned his sexuality nor used insults or slurs and was calm addressing valid criticism and its mighty suspect he came out as nonestrait when he was coitized for not doing research proper and hating on some someone on repeat for no reason and in unrelated stuff .. And he said that was trolls and people hating his for his sexaulity when all he shown was actual valid none hateful criticsim of his work he screen capped and he repeated that often .. so hes more a problem then the Guartering as Jim hides behind his sexaulity to try invaliding any critics .. where as the Quartering their was full proof shown he was unwarranted attacked by a person physically even had take legal action over it .. So yeah Jim giving a bad image to those who aren't strait he even is furthering bigoted sterotypes by doing that from painting valid criticism thats not hateful as hateful people ..He also isn't taken that serious anymore too
paladin181: So how many angry gamers does it take to enact change here? Or are you guys just full of shit when justifying your terrible decisions?
I belive it works on a "talk to me once you have the spending power of China and not before" basis.
high rated
It's pretty sad that for every new release I now have to check the forums, the reviews, third party websites and random cyber-sleuths, just to make sure that a game sold on a website that 'supposedly' prides itself on selling DRM free games is actually DRM free.
Post edited September 24, 2021 by MegisED
If you're Chinese, about 5, apparently ...
mrkgnao: He said that when he launched the game, he was asked whether he wanted to connect to IOI's servers and he said no.

As for enjoying it, he just began playing today, I believe, so his experience is limited. All he was saying was that he thought the game was DRM-free as he could refuse to connect and still play the game in a way that he considered enjoyable. ...
Seems there's a patch "found in the backup intaller page" that adds all unlockables in offline mode.
https://www.gog.com/forum/hitman_game_of_the_year_edition/how_to_remove_online_drm/post7
A review (by a verified owner) also mentions that patch.