It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Experiment and have fun in the ultimate playground as Agent 47 to become the master assassin. HITMAN - Game of The Year Edition is now available on GOG.COM with an astounding 70% discount that will last until 29th September 2021, 1 PM UTC.

Get ready for even more challenges! All games from the Hitman series available on GOG.COM receive 75% discounts lasting also until 29th September 2021, 1 PM UTC:

Share our love for games? Subscribe to our newsletter for news, releases, and exclusive discounts. Visit the “Privacy & settings” section of your GOG account to join now!
high rated
Dear Community,

Thank you for your patience and for giving us the time to investigate the release of HITMAN GOTY on GOG. As promised, we’re getting back to you with updates.

We're still in dialogue with IO Interactive about this release. Today we have removed HITMAN GOTY from GOG’s catalog – we shouldn’t have released it in its current form, as you’ve pointed out.

We’d like to apologise for the confusion and anger generated by this situation. We’ve let you down and we’d like to thank you for bringing this topic to us – while it was honest to the bone, it shows how passionate you are towards GOG.

We appreciate your feedback and will continue our efforts to improve our communication with you.
Post edited October 08, 2021 by chandra
thefallenalchemist: The point is, all of those other DRM-Free sites are crap in terms of what people are looking for, aside from Steam. People want big releases without DRM locks. It doesn't look to me like these major publishers are willing to do that easily. Case in point, we still don't have Doom 2016 or even Skyrim, despite that it has been released five times over. Bethesda is not ready to give this up.

Of all the great JRPG's that Squenix is known for, they gave us Tomb Raider. I guess releasing the DRM on a single Final Fantasy game would cause the earth to spin out of orbit.

The Batman games were a total fluke and I think they came on Warner's assumptions that CP2077 was going to be a major hit for them. They would have never given up Batman now. Please keep in mind that prior to that game's release, we were getting some rather large titles.

But make no mistake, the CP2077 disaster definitely put a level of distaste in the mouths of publishers and could be a very good reason as to why we have gotten some rather bizarre curated titles as of recent. GOG has to convince these publishers to release the DRM and to be fair, if that game is doing well with it, publishers see no reason to go without it.

The only market I can see doing well with truly DRM-Free games is the adult market. All the NSFW stores offer no DRM. DLSite added a weird online code you have to register on the site, but you don't need it to play the game after that.
I don't quite understand why the messy release of Cyberpunk 2077 would influence publishers / developers decisions not to release certain titles on GOG. I don't get the connection here.
mrkgnao: I would like to be able to buy on GOG, but their service has deteriorated so much, that I find it no longer appealing. I could give up on them, but instead by boycotting them, I have a tiny bit of hope that they will improve. This boycott obviously requires me to publicise the fact that I am boycotting in order to draw GOG's attention and have them think whether their future plans should be reconsidered.
timppu: I took the Google Translate definition:

boycott = "withdraw from commercial or social relations with (a country, organization, or person) as a punishment or protest".

As said, this could be partly a cultural thing. Here if we don't like some store or business, we just stop being their customers. At best we might send an angry email or call to their support, telling them why we will stop being their customers. That is what I did to e.g. TeamViewer, one email telling them why I am switching to their competitor, AnyDesk (then again I wasn't paying for either product so I wasn't really a paying customer anyway, big loss for them I guess, using the free versions of their products).

But we will not keep calling them and walking in front of their stores with signs. I am not storming TeamViewer forums telling everyone repeatedly how I don't like TeamViewer anymore and refuse to have anything to do with them.

So I guess we just have a different idea how we think we promote DRM-free games on GOG the best. For you it apparently is to stop buying anything, including DRM-free games, from GOG, and keep telling GOG you are doing that because of this one game.

I, on the other hand, keep buying only the DRM-free games and refuse to buy that one DRM-game, demonstrating that way to them that they can't sell such games to me (because I wouldn't buy such games from other stores either, most likely).
That's ok. You have your approach, I have mine. I respect yours, I hope you will respect mine.

One correction: My boycott has nothing to do with "this one game".
Post edited September 22, 2021 by mrkgnao
JakobFel: People who know me know that I love CD Projekt and I try to give them benefit of the doubt. I'm also a person who thinks the term "DRM" gets thrown around way too much. However, I want to chime in here and make it clear that even fans like myself see an issue with this. This most certainly IS DRM. I want the best for this site and for the company and doing stuff like this is not smart.

Please get in contact with the publisher and ask them to immediately remove the DRM or else remove the game altogether. This isn't acceptable.
Well said. I second this.
high rated
I was very happy to see this here, so I instantly bought it, under the (perhaps foolish) assumption of it being DRM-free. However, seeing that much of the game is locked away behind an online requirement, I have put in a request for a refund.

SmollestLight: Story and bonus missions can be played offline :) For Escalation missions, Elusive Targets or user-created Contracts you will need an online connection.
Can you clarify how this squares with the statement "DRM FREE. No activation or online connection required to play." on the store page? While I now see there is a disclaimer on the bottom of the store page for the game, how exactly is it the case that no online connection is required to play, yet to play 3 out of 5 parts of the game (“Escalation missions, Elusive Targets and user-created Contracts” out of those along with “Story and bonus missions”) you need to be online? This is hardly a minor/cosmetic part of the game.

Edit:
In any case, it is also disappointing to see that the Linux version is not even included here. It doesn't matter for me personally (at least not until all online requirements are removed), but I don't understand why it is not included, when it exists.

Edit 2:
I got my refund a few hours after requesting it, so no problems there.
Post edited September 23, 2021 by Lillesort131
thefallenalchemist: The point is, all of those other DRM-Free sites are crap in terms of what people are looking for, aside from Steam. People want big releases without DRM locks. It doesn't look to me like these major publishers are willing to do that easily. Case in point, we still don't have Doom 2016 or even Skyrim, despite that it has been released five times over. Bethesda is not ready to give this up.

Of all the great JRPG's that Squenix is known for, they gave us Tomb Raider. I guess releasing the DRM on a single Final Fantasy game would cause the earth to spin out of orbit.

The Batman games were a total fluke and I think they came on Warner's assumptions that CP2077 was going to be a major hit for them. They would have never given up Batman now. Please keep in mind that prior to that game's release, we were getting some rather large titles.

But make no mistake, the CP2077 disaster definitely put a level of distaste in the mouths of publishers and could be a very good reason as to why we have gotten some rather bizarre curated titles as of recent. GOG has to convince these publishers to release the DRM and to be fair, if that game is doing well with it, publishers see no reason to go without it.

The only market I can see doing well with truly DRM-Free games is the adult market. All the NSFW stores offer no DRM. DLSite added a weird online code you have to register on the site, but you don't need it to play the game after that.
InSaintMonoxide: I don't quite understand why the messy release of Cyberpunk 2077 would influence publishers / developers decisions not to release certain titles on GOG. I don't get the connection here.
the expectation of a growing userbase and a good reputation because of Cyberpunk 2077 would be a good reason for publishing games at GOG
Seeing this release and than taking a look at this thread was an incredible emotional roller coaster...
+++ New Hitman, DRM-free, yes!
--- But how could this be?
+++ Yes, the other GOGers are happy as well.
--- But they were happy for no reason...
I am praying that right now GOG is talking with IOI to try and resolve this mess.
low rated
savensepi0l: The only way to save your progress on the campaign is the online mode. GOG's standpoint is very misleading because most of the features and all the progression are locked online.

- Ending mission score
- All map entrances except the default one
- All tools of the trade, items, firearms except the default ones
- All outfits except the default ones
- All the story mastery levels
- All the story challenges
…etc

Basically anything that gives the player a sense of progression and makes the game good and replayable. All of that is unavailable. What's even worse is that some levels, like Hokkaido are inventory-locked the first time, and the only way to play them properly with at least some very basic items is to go online to unlock the slots to use them offline afterwards.
I am not familiar with the game... but to me "progression is not saved" suggests that I would have to replay the whole game from the very start every time, in offline mode. Like always having to start from the first level or map, not being able to save the game at any point.

So is that what the lack of saving the progress means (basically, that you can't save the game), or something else? Mainly that you don't get new items (and "entrances" to levels) when you replay the levels or missions later?

As said, I am not familiar with the game, I thought the earlier Hitman games are linear in that you perform missions, then move on to newer missions etc.

Are there actual campaign/story missions you can't play without going online?
IOI E-mail address for those who want to send in a complaint about this game

ioi@ioi.dk

Sent one in myself, hopefully more will get them to respond.
low rated
Post edited September 22, 2021 by JunglePredator
I am wondering how much work would it take for IOI to make all single-player aspects playable offline. While it probably isn't trivial to do so, it probably wouldn't be too big of hurdle either.

They would gain a lot of goodwill by doing whatever it takes to make it happen.
wolfsite: IOI E-mail address for those who want to send in a complaint about this game

ioi@ioi.dk

Sent one in myself, hopefully more will get them to respond.
What good is that gonna do? You think they care what you think?
low rated
mrkgnao: One correction: My boycott has nothing to do with "this one game".
Ok so you chimed into this thread due to some other chip on your shoulder against GOG?

I am unsure if GOG has kept track of why exactly you, or anyone else for that matter, are boycotting them. A wild guess: Devotion? Or were there many unrelated things? (I personally couldn't care much less about the decision not to release Devotion on GOG; I just bought the game straight from the publisher's own store.)

At least I am pretty sure you were not the guy boycotting GOG due to not having achievements in many of its games, that was a different demonstrator.
high rated
GilesHabibula: I am wondering how much work would it take for IOI to make all single-player aspects playable offline. While it probably isn't trivial to do so, it probably wouldn't be too big of hurdle either.

They would gain a lot of goodwill by doing whatever it takes to make it happen.
And if it was a hurdle too big for IOI and they were unwilling to overcome it, GOG should have rejected the game outright.

But that would have required a spine.
Post edited September 22, 2021 by ReynardFox
high rated
Well this seems pretty FUBAR.

Not even gonna wishlist it.