It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Experiment and have fun in the ultimate playground as Agent 47 to become the master assassin. HITMAN - Game of The Year Edition is now available on GOG.COM with an astounding 70% discount that will last until 29th September 2021, 1 PM UTC.

Get ready for even more challenges! All games from the Hitman series available on GOG.COM receive 75% discounts lasting also until 29th September 2021, 1 PM UTC:

Share our love for games? Subscribe to our newsletter for news, releases, and exclusive discounts. Visit the “Privacy & settings” section of your GOG account to join now!
high rated
Dear Community,

Thank you for your patience and for giving us the time to investigate the release of HITMAN GOTY on GOG. As promised, we’re getting back to you with updates.

We're still in dialogue with IO Interactive about this release. Today we have removed HITMAN GOTY from GOG’s catalog – we shouldn’t have released it in its current form, as you’ve pointed out.

We’d like to apologise for the confusion and anger generated by this situation. We’ve let you down and we’d like to thank you for bringing this topic to us – while it was honest to the bone, it shows how passionate you are towards GOG.

We appreciate your feedback and will continue our efforts to improve our communication with you.
Post edited October 08, 2021 by chandra
Longcat: I don't think it has much to do with hypocrisy. If both stores end up selling games with drm (and yes, this is only one of more to come), it makes perfect sense to choose the better storefront. There is no longer any point in supporting gog, and gog is obviously not interested in supporting its users.

Picking up a free game or not, for those who wants to do so, makes no difference what so ever.

That said, I'm leaving gog as well, and not for any other store. I have never used steam, epic or similar, and I never will.
mastyer-kenobi: Good on you for not turning hypocrite, I was fearful it was going in that direction. Might I suggest StarSector? I'm playing it now, it's amazing and the upcoming update will be making it even better. I can't wait to have control over a mini-SNK boss. My current gambling bet for it's update is in either November or January.

More to the point, it only make sense to run to a different storefront in two conditions. First, if GoG is exclusive. It's fine to say "I'll buy for the Playstation over the Switch" because you can't use both simultaneously. If GoG is "just another storefront" than it doesn't make any sense to play exclusive. Second, if have to be better. In issues of DRM Epic Games is worse, and Steam is -much worse-. In transparancy and consistency, Steam is worse and Epic is -much worse-. In terms of technical compatency, I dont recall GoG ever rushing an update and leaving in a major security flaw in Galaxy that could run arbitrary code execution's using the chat function, after being warned about said glitch well before release. And need I mention how long it took Epic to have a shopping card, something that even the earliest online stores had day 1.
Thanks for the recommendation, but it's not my type of game, I'm afraid.

I know several people who owns titles on both Playstation and Switch. 90% of the games I have bought on gog, I already had physical copies of. But I can see the selection of games, and user support is much better on Steam, so it's understandable that some users choose to go there instead, when there is no longer any advantage to supporting gog. I think everyone can agree Epic is an abomination, and should cease to exist.

There have been plenty of botched and buggy releases from gog in the past. And there are many offline installers that do not get updated simultaneously with Galaxy. I've defended gog in the past, I supported CDP through the CP disaster, and I have swallowed the many negative changes that have been introduced to gog through the years. But this is the last straw. This is the core of gog. Nothing of value remains.
I don't see why I should avoid to get free games on gog while I boycott it. I don't pay for free games.

Also I don't see why do you see a problem with buying drm free games on other stores like epic. I don't see any problem with that. And I don't think epic is worst than steam (they have more drm free games so I think epic is actually a better place). And I think all clients when required to play games are bad but as a downloader I don't see any problem with epic, while I find galaxy to be much more aggressive (it try to run even when you run the game from the exe if it's installed for too many games on gog).

Hell if gog would just avoid to lie and say "we sell drm games now" I would be disappointed of course but I would not boycott them, I would just buy drm free games like usual.

The main point to boycott gog for me at least is that I don't want to support liars, give money to them. But of course I will continue to use my own account, I paid for many games here, and I see no reason not to get more free games since I don't support gog if I just get free games.

Of course other people will boycott their own way. I just don't see any reason to give gog more money and that's all.

Also I just said that there are many things that are as important as drm free for me. The main thing is I don't support lie.

I think is more much hypocritical to say to be for drm free and just ignore this release and continue to buy on gog.
If you really support drm free gog is not a must. There are many drm free games out there sold on other store, epic, steam, humble bundle etc... The only reason to buy from gog was to get all drm free games 100%. If that's not possible the case anymore gog is just another store and a bad one for many things like consumer support. And if they lie too on the top I don't see any reasons to buy from them anymore.

Ps. Also like lolplatypus said "As far as boycotting, the thread for that adds "to whatever degree one is comfortable"" so that's my degree of confortable boycott.
Post edited October 06, 2021 by LiefLayer
high rated
mastyer-kenobi: To anyone who's even considering boycotts to GoG for this, I will not shame you for boycotting GoG. But -THIS- is nothing shy of selfish hypocrisy and moral abandonment. You do not get to claim even the slightest of morality if you complain about DRM and why it's important to have consistent anti-DRM, and then run off to steam or worse epic. If you value DRM so much you're willing to outright not even look at a storefront, then stick to your guns and double down; Say you won't do business with a store unless you can take it on faith there won't be DRM. But, if you're willing to buy from Steam, and especially Epic Games, you have zero basis to boycott GoG.
I've never knowingly bought any games with DRM besides disk or codewheel based (ie offline). I have no intention of buying anything off Steam or Epic now I'm boycotting GOG. I would like to add though, Linux is important to me and Steam do seem to care about it so that would be a good reason to start shopping there.

Lukin86: Also what really makes me laugh is when people say they are going to boycott gog. But from the 1st free game available, they come back to get it. If they boycotted for real, they shouldn't even come back even for free games.
Well that's just stupid. I'm not giving GOG any more money but why shouldn't I claim free games off them?
low rated
LiefLayer: I don't see why I should avoid to get free games on gog while I boycott it. I don't pay for free games.

Also I don't see why do you see a problem with buying drm free games on other stores like epic. I don't see any problem with that. And I don't think epic is worst than steam (they have more drm free games so I think epic is actually a better place). And I think all clients when required to play games are bad but as a downloader I don't see any problem with epic, while I find galaxy to be much more aggressive (it try to run even when you run the game from the exe if it's installed for too many games on gog).

Hell if gog would just avoid to lie and say "we sell drm games now" I would be disappointed of course but I would not boycott them, I would just buy drm free games like usual.

The main point to boycott gog for me at least is that I don't want to support liars, give money to them. But of course I will continue to use my own account, I paid for many games here, and I see no reason not to get more free games since I don't support gog if I just get free games.

Of course other people will boycott their own way. I just don't see any reason to give gog more money and that's all.

Also I just said that there are many things that are as important as drm free for me. The main thing is I don't support lie.

I think is more much hypocritical to say to be for drm free and just ignore this release and continue to buy on gog.
If you really support drm free gog is not a must. There are many drm free games out there sold on other store, epic, steam, humble bundle etc... The only reason to buy from gog was to get all drm free games 100%. If that's not possible the case anymore gog is just another store and a bad one for many things like consumer support. And if they lie too on the top I don't see any reasons to buy from them anymore.

Ps. Also like lolplatypus said "As far as boycotting, the thread for that adds "to whatever degree one is comfortable"" so that's my degree of confortable boycott.
Well seen when done in the end, you do not boycott. How do you want us to respect see even that gog listens to you or respect you on idea. Since you say that you boycott gog but in the end no because you still maintain certain exchanges with gog.

I am not surprised that Gog prefers to remain silent since in the end the majority of people who say who boycots in the end is not a real boycott who do. Since they maintain a certain commercial or exchange relationship even if free play. So in the end their words are only a lie in the end. Why would gog listen to these people. Already that is not the majority of buyers. Sur gog, then in addition if a large part lies, it is sure that gog will not be listened to.
mastyer-kenobi: To anyone who's even considering boycotts to GoG for this, I will not shame you for boycotting GoG. But -THIS- is nothing shy of selfish hypocrisy and moral abandonment. You do not get to claim even the slightest of morality if you complain about DRM and why it's important to have consistent anti-DRM, and then run off to steam or worse epic. If you value DRM so much you're willing to outright not even look at a storefront, then stick to your guns and double down; Say you won't do business with a store unless you can take it on faith there won't be DRM. But, if you're willing to buy from Steam, and especially Epic Games, you have zero basis to boycott GoG.
HappyPunkPotato: I've never knowingly bought any games with DRM besides disk or codewheel based (ie offline). I have no intention of buying anything off Steam or Epic now I'm boycotting GOG. I would like to add though, Linux is important to me and Steam do seem to care about it so that would be a good reason to start shopping there.

Lukin86: Also what really makes me laugh is when people say they are going to boycott gog. But from the 1st free game available, they come back to get it. If they boycotted for real, they shouldn't even come back even for free games.
HappyPunkPotato: Well that's just stupid. I'm not giving GOG any more money but why shouldn't I claim free games off them?
Simply to show that you respect what you say. If you say one thing and you do the opposite. Why would the reverse part listen to you?
Post edited October 06, 2021 by Lukin86
high rated
LiefLayer: I don't see why I should avoid to get free games on gog while I boycott it. I don't pay for free games.

Lukin86: Well seen when done in the end, you do not boycott. How do you want us to respect see even that gog listens to you or respect you on idea. Since you say that you boycott gog but in the end no because you still maintain certain exchanges with gog.

I am not surprised that Gog prefers to remain silent since in the end the majority of people who say who boycots in the end is not a real boycott who do. Since they maintain a certain commercial or exchange relationship even if free play. So in the end their words are only a lie in the end. Why would gog listen to these people. Already that is not the majority of buyers. Sur gog, then in addition if a large part lies, it is sure that gog will not be listened to.
I think it is interesting that you are seemingly trying to spin this around to make it seem like it is somehow the users who are to blame for this situation because they are not boycotting to the standard you prefer, and not gog, who are releasing games with drm, and then remaining completely silent.

Feel free to correct me, if I have somehow misunderstood what you are trying to communicate.
Post edited October 06, 2021 by Longcat
high rated
Lukin86: Simply to show that you respect what you say. If you say one thing and you do the opposite. Why would the reverse part listen to you?
I'm doing exactly what I say: not spending money on GOG.
low rated
Lukin86: Simply to show that you respect what you say. If you say one thing and you do the opposite. Why would the reverse part listen to you?
HappyPunkPotato: I'm doing exactly what I say: not spending money on GOG.
Boycott doesn't mean that. Means any exchange with the company. So even free games. By accepting the free game, you do not cut the bridge because there is always a hidden exchange (and so gog comes out a winner). And anyway, the free game on gog is not really free either. Because use account and info. The other always got something. While a boycott is, as they say, completely cut off the bridges.

And considering that you therefore maintain certain exchanges with gog while you say that you boycott. How gog wants to take you seriously. Especially those who say they boycott gog are only a minority.
Honestly, running off to Steam would only lower the exposure to when they screw up.

Now don't get me wrong, if they actually abandoned DRM-Free, I'd fuck off to Zoom Platform, but there's no real reason to believe that this is anything more than a screwup based on a manipulative company exploiting a loophole.

What we're seeing now is what we should be seeing all the time - bad moves punished, good moves rewarded.

If people only care enough to bitch, do they really care?
high rated
HappyPunkPotato: I'm doing exactly what I say: not spending money on GOG.
Lukin86: Boycott doesn't mean that. Means any exchange with the company. So even free games. By accepting the free game, you do not cut the bridge because there is always a hidden exchange. And anyway, the free game on gog is not really free either. Because use account and info. The other always got something. While a boycott is, as they say, completely cut off the bridges.
So how do you expect that to work out with GOG in the real world?

"Hey guys, HappyPunkPotato hasn't bought anything in a year, should we take that seriously?"
"Nah, they're still using our servers to download free games, we're doing great!"
low rated
Lukin86: Boycott doesn't mean that. Means any exchange with the company. So even free games. By accepting the free game, you do not cut the bridge because there is always a hidden exchange. And anyway, the free game on gog is not really free either. Because use account and info. The other always got something. While a boycott is, as they say, completely cut off the bridges.
lolplatypus: So how do you expect that to work out with GOG in the real world?

"Hey guys, HappyPunkPotato hasn't bought anything in a year, should we take that seriously?"
"Nah, they're still using our servers to download free games, we're doing great!"
Even if he has not bought anything, he recovers the games for free and therefore trades with gog, who recovers something in exchange. So as I said gog is a winner in the end even if it's not money (you think that there is direct money). Apart from that, it's not just that gog interests you and that allows you to develop yourself. For example customer information is equally important. Outside, it is not the purpose of a boycott.

I do not denigrate the boycott, I respect those who do it well. But the others on the contrary it is the hypocrysia and even worse, they really harm the cause of the boycotting and the idea which defends concerning the current problems of gog. Because they give a dirty reputation of liar to those who respect the boycott and therefore can harm on the confidence on the possible exchange with gog.
low rated
HappyPunkPotato: Well that's just stupid. I'm not giving GOG any more money but why shouldn't I claim free games off them?
Because you're doing business with them. You're taking part in the store. It being like boycotting a store, then talking in and going to the register "only for the free samples." Boycott means a refusal to do business. If the business can lure you to bend that for some convenience, it makes it very obvious your moral limits can be bent. Boycott does not mean "I only do business when it's convenient and doesn't benefit them in a way I consider meaningful." It means no business.

lolplatypus: So how do you expect that to work out with GOG in the real world?

I expect them to say "yeah we know, but they inflate our sales numbers and player investment. They are still helping us by doing business with us, even if it's not the way we want them to."

You can't be serious. You can't look at this situation and declare "the only possible explanation for Hitman's DRM is GoG openly lying and being okay with it, there is no potential this is a loophole abuse with complex contract negotiations and re-writing that needs to be done," and then sit here and defend Epic Games. You cannot possible be serious. The fucking launcher that didnt have a shopping cart until recently from the company has been caught not just lying but inciting people to breach of contract and under the table financial theft. You can't possible be serious right now. If you are I'm calling this a no turd twice rule and moving on.

HappyPunkPotato: I think is more much hypocritical to say to be for drm free and just ignore this release and continue to buy on gog.
What is hypocritical about my stance of "well, I'm going to have to be more restrained when buying from GoG and more willing to test for and look out for further DRM in the future." This is not an all or nothing, I can lower my faith in GoG storefront to less absolute and still do business with them while 1 staring any DRM locked games as the non-functional software they are.

It is incredibly hypocritical to demand you don't do business with GoG on the basis that it has DRM content, but say Steam and Epic are perfectly fine if you just find the non-DRM ones. You're just picking on GoG like a child throwing a tantrum because he isn't getting the answer he wants this second. Here's something, Did you contact GoG and give them a chance to respond? Would you accept them saying "we are still co-ordinating and discussing our response," if it were made in 48 hours? Or are you going to not listen to their statement because it isn't the two response you want? I have my hypothesis, I have to wonder if it will be proven.

And as I said, if you think Epic or Valve have good customer support and honestly believe that, you are ignorant beyond saving.
high rated
Lukin86: Even if he has not bought anything, he recovers the games for free and therefore trades with gog, who recovers something in exchange. So as I said gog is a winner in the end even if it's not money (you think that there is direct money). Apart from that, it's not just that gog interests you and that allows you to develop yourself. For example customer information is equally important. Outside, it is not the purpose of a boycott.

I do not denigrate the boycott, I respect those who do it well. But the others on the contrary it is the hypocrysia and even worse, they really harm the cause of the boycotting and the idea which defends concerning the current problems of gog. Because they give a dirty reputation of liar to those who respect the boycott and therefore can harm on the confidence on the possible exchange with gog.
Possibly, but even in that case GOG could have that and the money which I am just going to presume they care about. Practically speaking barely any of this matters to begin with because GOG knows how they are doing financially and if their recent business decisions don't negatively impact their bottom line, it doesn't matter how strict some people define their personal boycotts, it's a non-issue either way.

From a personal point of view, though, how much does it matter if I buy one game per year or none at all, if before that I reliably bought twenty per year? Either way, it's a substantial net loss. And I don't think pointing that out harms the 'real' boycott at all, but adds to it. I mean, even if I take your argument as an established premise, GOG would still see a subset of customers who are so unsatisfied with the service that they cease all interaction, and another subset of customers who are so unsatisfied with the service that they take the freebies and otherwise greatly reduce their spending. If GOG were to look at that and, as you say, don't take the second group of clearly unsatisfied customers seriously because they don't completely abandon ship outright, then what are we even doing here?
high rated
I think it is a mistake to attack users who are not living up to someones perceived standards of a boycott or moral standards, and not gog. I would assume this is exactly what gog would like. It further divides the resistance.

It would be more understandable if one debated users who are openly defending gogs decisions, or spent the energy informing those who are not aware of the situation to begin with.
low rated
Longcat: I think it is a mistake to attack users who are not living up to someones perceived standards of a boycott or moral standards, and not gog. I would assume this is exactly what gog would like. It further divides the resistance.

It would be more understandable if one debated users who are openly defending gogs decisions, or spent the energy informing those who are not aware of the situation to begin with.
I think challenging eachothers ideas and responses to the situation if of value. IF we are here discussing whether or not it's acceptable to even call the game functional without DRM. and what response we should take in regards to it, then challenging eachother onto what should be the response is entirely on the table. Though I do agree we need be carful to keep this directed on Hitman and it's DRM in at least some measure. I'd call defending Epic Games Store while shitting on GoG and misrepresenting the events happening here classified as important.

As a note, and the reason I came to post, is this line has been added to the store page.

"Please note: Internet connection is required to access Escalation missions, Elusive Targets or user-created Contracts. Story and bonus missions can be played offline."

I can confirm using waybackmachine this is new. Since the descriptions are written by the developer and GoG has made no formal response, this is clearly IO trying to cover it's ass at the last minute. Let me be clear that this disclaimer does nothing. If half your game is locked behind an lockout, you are either falsely advertising a demo as a full game, or have a DRM. If IO tries to claim "well we warned people," call this out as crap.
low rated
Longcat: I think it is interesting that you are seemingly trying to spin this around to make it seem like it is somehow the users who are to blame for this situation because they are not boycotting to the standard you prefer, and not gog, who are releasing games with drm, and then remaining completely silent.
The term is "virtue signaling"