It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Experiment and have fun in the ultimate playground as Agent 47 to become the master assassin. HITMAN - Game of The Year Edition is now available on GOG.COM with an astounding 70% discount that will last until 29th September 2021, 1 PM UTC.

Get ready for even more challenges! All games from the Hitman series available on GOG.COM receive 75% discounts lasting also until 29th September 2021, 1 PM UTC:

Share our love for games? Subscribe to our newsletter for news, releases, and exclusive discounts. Visit the “Privacy & settings” section of your GOG account to join now!
high rated
Dear Community,

Thank you for your patience and for giving us the time to investigate the release of HITMAN GOTY on GOG. As promised, we’re getting back to you with updates.

We're still in dialogue with IO Interactive about this release. Today we have removed HITMAN GOTY from GOG’s catalog – we shouldn’t have released it in its current form, as you’ve pointed out.

We’d like to apologise for the confusion and anger generated by this situation. We’ve let you down and we’d like to thank you for bringing this topic to us – while it was honest to the bone, it shows how passionate you are towards GOG.

We appreciate your feedback and will continue our efforts to improve our communication with you.
Post edited October 08, 2021 by chandra
Jigowatts121: For me personally, the expression fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me comes to mind. CDPR and GOG have really put me off from buying here in the future.

I pre-ordered Cyberpunk 2077 after E3 from GOG wanting to support CDPR and I really trusted them as a customer first company. Then when the game is released look at all the decietful actions that CDPR pulled

I have bought a lot of games at full price to support GOG in the hope it encouraged other AAA releases. As an example, I bought Horizon Zero Dawn from Steam and then again from from GOG at full price. I didn't think this kind of game would end up on GOG so wanted to again show my support by buying it again. Now GOG are deceiving customers falsely claiming that Hitman was DRM free and then implying the customers are at fault.

This is obviously a trend that CDPR and GOG are starting to follow and I would rather just buy from Steam as the only benefit of buying from GOG in the first place was the DRM free element.

It was good while it lasted but I am not going to be taken advantage of again as a customer of GOG.
Always buy games low & buy later.

That even includes re-release to new stores - as we don't know entirely what problems can come from bringing old game to new store b/c of old platform requirements and new platform requirements; especially as more games lean into proprietary stuff like Steamworks, Origin, Uplay, Galaxy, etc etc...and build those into the game from the ground-up.

We've seen the previous problems already w/ GOG version's of No Man's Sky, Dungeon Siege 3 w/ DLC issues, newer Deus Ex titles, and now Hitman 1: GOTY - where those issues needed to be fixed, even after those hit GOG initially.

With so many bad business practices in general in gaming these days - release games now & patch later; de-value base-games by putting them in Bundles; releasing DLC's/Season Passes and/or expansions to devalue games or previous packages; re-releasing games as Remasters; Remakes done later; DRM put on games to make them more or a rental and players have less ownership; client-app's forced into games to also kill the 2nd-hand market; etc etc - it's often just best just to buy cheap & wait it out.

By waiting - you can get better editions or versions; more patching behind a game so it's more stable & less buggy; not got milked on DLC's/expansion pricing schemes & shenanigans; better hardware's out so a game can run better by sheer brute force of newer hardware; maybe grab an edition with less DRM (if it exists) somewhere; more mods are available; etc etc.

I ain't dropped $45 on a game since Witcher 2 pre-order on GOG - and for many reasons I already mentioned.
Post edited October 02, 2021 by MysterD
low rated
Time4Tea: They only care what wealthy investors and totalitarian governments think.
Indeed.
I once posted a couple of funny videos about Biden and got a warning from moderators.

This is disgusting.
GOG should stop caving to totalitarian regimes.
I see GOG made another very smart customer friendly move. Bravo, yet again.

Smh
ReynardFox: And just like their handling of Devotion, it looks like the plan is to lay low and hope it all blows over. We can't let this happen this time, or else they'll go too far...
Whilst I agree with you. There's not much that can be done sadly. Taking in total GOG users a very small number use the forum, even less are aware of current issues, and even less are taking part in the boycott.

It should not come as a suprise that this is their plan, as this is what they always do. Screw something up then post some PR thing saying its getting looked at then post nothing, hoping that it all blows over.
ReynardFox: And just like their handling of Devotion, it looks like the plan is to lay low and hope it all blows over. We can't let this happen this time, or else they'll go too far...
RoboPond: Whilst I agree with you. There's not much that can be done sadly. Taking in total GOG users a very small number use the forum, even less are aware of current issues, and even less are taking part in the boycott.

It should not come as a suprise that this is their plan, as this is what they always do. Screw something up then post some PR thing saying its getting looked at then post nothing, hoping that it all blows over.
They could use the earnings they've done from GOG to change unlocks and the assisnation mode to offline. It probably requires like two or three developers. Its not that difficult to do.

For instance, offline assassination attemps could be made through random seed generation (this is probably already done, someone generates a seed and then send them out to the clients already for these daily missions, its probably fully automated). So generating a seed through an in-game RNG tool and post the seed it on any forum where people play HITMAN. People can then copy paste it and play the generated assassination attempt. In the end they can post screenshots or not whether or not they succseeded or not (if they want to) for that specific seed. Or they can just generate and play one without any other influence for their own.

Just remove anything that requires an online connection and force people to post screenshots if they want leaderboard scores but I don't see this as a problem. Speedrunners do that all the time, all the evidence to make records must be manually provided through video format. Or just store anything locally. Cheaters will always exist regardless, and through this way you can be make sure that in an online discussion, there will be less cheating (cheaters disturb the peace of the forum).

The unlocks could be done through leveling, levels could be stored in your savegame and not through your account. If you want to reset your progress and level, just delete your save to start again. Its simple enough because all the values are already set up, it just need to be "rewired" through programming. Instead of saved on a server, just store it in a savegame.

What I mean is, its not difficult to actually make this game fully DRM-Free and fun for everyone. People are already organized, all it takes are easy to use ways to play this game fully offline.
Post edited October 03, 2021 by Dray2k
RoboPond: Whilst I agree with you. There's not much that can be done sadly. Taking in total GOG users a very small number use the forum, even less are aware of current issues, and even less are taking part in the boycott.

Dray2k: They could use the earnings they've done from GOG to change unlocks and the assisnation mode to offline. It probably requires like two or three developers. Its not that difficult to do.

For instance, offline assassination attemps could be made through random seed generation (this is probably already done, someone generates a seed and then send them out to the clients already for these daily missions, its probably fully automated). So generating a seed through an in-game RNG tool and post the seed it on any forum where people play HITMAN. People can then copy paste it and play the generated assassination attempt. In the end they can post screenshots or not whether or not they succseeded or not (if they want to) for that specific seed. Or they can just generate and play one without any other influence for their own.

Just remove anything that requires an online connection and force people to post screenshots if they want leaderboard scores but I don't see this as a problem. Speedrunners do that all the time, all the evidence to make records must be manually provided through video format. Or just store anything locally. Cheaters will always exist regardless, and through this way you can be make sure that in an online discussion, there will be less cheating (cheaters disturb the peace of the forum).

The unlocks could be done through leveling, levels could be stored in your savegame and not through your account. If you want to reset your progress and level, just delete your save to start again. Its simple enough because all the values are already set up, it just need to be "rewired" through programming. Instead of saved on a server, just store it in a savegame.

What I mean is, its not difficult to actually make this game fully DRM-Free and fun for everyone. People are already organized, all it takes are easy to use ways to play this game fully offline.
Its demand as you say a little labor therefore salary in addition. The question is after. Is it profitable? because the game was released for several years on steam and was free on epic. So sales are not going to be huge on goggle. We don't live in a caring world. Gog is a business, the goal is earned not losing money ^^.
Matewis: So I take it gog is simply waiting for the outrage to die down, and then to pretend like nothing happened?

It's inexcusable that they haven't at least updated the game description to inform potential buyers about the full extent of the online requirement.
SuccessDenied: My guess is, they try to keep the game on the store for as long as possible to receive all the money from the customers who badly want the game. In the meantime they keep us waiting and waiting until they will finally give in to the critique. They will reveal to us that they have "looked into this" thoroughly enough and realized their "mistake", and the game will be removed from the store.

This way they can feel very clever because they get most of the benefits from selling the game, as well as confirm their DRM-free stance to us so we can end our boycott.
My thoughts exactly. It's 60 bucks after all which again is quite unusual for 4 year old game but that's on IOI part. If that's the case, one more indicator they care more about money then their reputation.
Matewis: So I take it gog is simply waiting for the outrage to die down, and then to pretend like nothing happened?

It's inexcusable that they haven't at least updated the game description to inform potential buyers about the full extent of the online requirement.
this is 100% what i imagine will happen.

gog and ioi will be "in discussions," which is to say that gog will tell ioi to not panic and hold fast. the scary fire will die down and everything will be ok.

and gog just won't say a word to us at all.

qed.

lostwolfe: this is 100% what i imagine will happen.

gog and ioi will be "in discussions," which is to say that gog will tell ioi to not panic and hold fast. the scary fire will die down and everything will be ok.

and gog just won't say a word to us at all.

qed.
But one thing for sure. Its going to put an end to the future coloboration with ioi. To avoid a new controversy, hitman 2 and 3 will never see the light of day on gog.
Lukin86: But one thing for sure. Its going to put an end to the future coloboration with ioi. To avoid a new controversy, hitman 2 and 3 will never see the light of day on gog.
Interesting. I was thinking exactly the opposite. This release worked fairly smoothly for GOG, all things considered. I fully expect H2 and H3 to arrive here at some point, probably faster than H1 made it.
Post edited October 03, 2021 by mrkgnao
high rated
Lukin86: But one thing for sure. Its going to put an end to the future coloboration with ioi. To avoid a new controversy, hitman 2 and 3 will never see the light of day on gog.
mrkgnao: Interesting. I was thinking exactly the opposite. This release worked fairly smoothly for GOG, all things considered. I fully expect H2 and H3 to arrive here at some point, probably faster than H1 made it.
Not entirely sure. The game's been review-bombed to hell, and it got off the front page nearly as quickly as it got on. It's already on Youtube, and probably going to gain traction. Let's not forget that DRM-Free is the only thing that makes GOG appealing. For price, Steam tends to have them dead-to-rights, which is probably another reason this game's sales won't be a tenth of what Steam has.

Honestly, I never attribute to malice what can be attributed to stupidity, and it's clear that the GOG staff was a bit stupid in not realizing just how DRM-heavy this game is. IOI is just not a big enough name to sell out for when they've held fast against the likes of EA and Ubi. They're going to have to start working to regain people's trust, especially if the Zoom Platform people are serious about finally expanding.

I have to agree with Lukin - This is likely the last Hitman game we see here. Good riddance to bad rubbish is what I say.
mrkgnao: Interesting. I was thinking exactly the opposite. This release worked fairly smoothly for GOG, all things considered. I fully expect H2 and H3 to arrive here at some point, probably faster than H1 made it.
RawSteelUT: Not entirely sure. The game's been review-bombed to hell, and it got off the front page nearly as quickly as it got on. It's already on Youtube, and probably going to gain traction. Let's not forget that DRM-Free is the only thing that makes GOG appealing. For price, Steam tends to have them dead-to-rights, which is probably another reason this game's sales won't be a tenth of what Steam has.

Honestly, I never attribute to malice what can be attributed to stupidity, and it's clear that the GOG staff was a bit stupid in not realizing just how DRM-heavy this game is. IOI is just not a big enough name to sell out for when they've held fast against the likes of EA and Ubi. They're going to have to start working to regain people's trust, especially if the Zoom Platform people are serious about finally expanding.

I have to agree with Lukin - This is likely the last Hitman game we see here. Good riddance to bad rubbish is what I say.
Perhaps you're right. Time will tell.
low rated
RawSteelUT: Not entirely sure. The game's been review-bombed to hell, and it got off the front page nearly as quickly as it got on. It's already on Youtube, and probably going to gain traction. Let's not forget that DRM-Free is the only thing that makes GOG appealing. For price, Steam tends to have them dead-to-rights, which is probably another reason this game's sales won't be a tenth of what Steam has.

In future I agree, I can't imagine this will happen again unless IO backs down -hard-, just because GoG will likely not take this kind of publicity hit again at the absolute worst interpretation. In mine, they wont risk this loophole being abused again.

The reason this is taking time is probably because of contractual garbage. To break contract and kick them off the storefront has to have a lot of oomph behind it. It's easy to say "this game doesn't function," because the game crashes at a rate of 5spf(seconds per frame) but it's quite a bit harder to argue non-functionality in this case from a contractual law point of view. especially if the wording allows this trash by technicality since GoG may not have considered this scenario when putting in their contract. It's why I'm giving GoG time at all.
Post edited October 03, 2021 by mastyer-kenobi
Good, we don't need this kind of crap anymore around here.
If both these will also be added to the catalogue, the next controversy will be about saved progress. To get an idea how this would look like just read Gamepressure's key information

That's not all of it of course. You can't transfer anything from EPIC or Steam, you'd have to buy it all over again, register, jump through several hoops until hopefully it works so you can continue playing.

IOI will never change any of that, not for GOG, so the best that can still happen is to remove that piece from this store and move on ...