It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Experiment and have fun in the ultimate playground as Agent 47 to become the master assassin. HITMAN - Game of The Year Edition is now available on GOG.COM with an astounding 70% discount that will last until 29th September 2021, 1 PM UTC.

Get ready for even more challenges! All games from the Hitman series available on GOG.COM receive 75% discounts lasting also until 29th September 2021, 1 PM UTC:

Share our love for games? Subscribe to our newsletter for news, releases, and exclusive discounts. Visit the “Privacy & settings” section of your GOG account to join now!
high rated
Dear Community,

Thank you for your patience and for giving us the time to investigate the release of HITMAN GOTY on GOG. As promised, we’re getting back to you with updates.

We're still in dialogue with IO Interactive about this release. Today we have removed HITMAN GOTY from GOG’s catalog – we shouldn’t have released it in its current form, as you’ve pointed out.

We’d like to apologise for the confusion and anger generated by this situation. We’ve let you down and we’d like to thank you for bringing this topic to us – while it was honest to the bone, it shows how passionate you are towards GOG.

We appreciate your feedback and will continue our efforts to improve our communication with you.
Post edited October 08, 2021 by chandra
mrkgnao: I don't think you have been dating much lately.
I never claimed I have. But thanks for that painful reminder. LOL! ;)
matterbandit: I feel like I've been catfished on some gamers dating app.

Me: "But it says right here on your personal profile that you are drm-free!"

GOG: "Yeah, about that. I meant to say drm-lite."

Truth is I had my heart set on buying HITMAN when I first saw it on the store page. Hence my current frustration and disappointment. I'm not willing to compromise my principles for this "edition" of HITMAN. I even refuse to wishlist it. That said, I do hope it gets fixed. I proudly joined GOG's platform for a good reason. Remember your FCK DRM intiative?
Yeah, it came after they tried bundling Galaxy with the offline installers, and those bungled social media promos that would end with GOG apologizing. And was funny as hell. ;p
Post edited September 29, 2021 by richlind33
low rated
GamezRanker:
mrkgnao: In case any of you have communicated with GamezRanker on the forum recently and are waiting for his reply, please note that it may take him a while to do so.

He got a one-week forum ban for "questioning moderation".

Fear not, I'm sure he will reply to you when he comes back, if still relevant.
A slow clap to your clowny useless job here GOG: Silencing a goger under the excuse of advertising!
Because you perfectly know you cannot acuse GamezRanker of something relevant on the CoC like being disrespectful, troll, spam, use of inappropriate language, insults, offenses, hate speech, intimidation, harassment, sexual, racial, ethnic slurs, discrimination.
True? Shame on you!

https://www.gog.com/forum/general/forum_regulations/post1

Even more because for long time you have taken your eyes off to the other way pretending to ignore & have your hands tied up to solve his account under attack on daily basis with negative rep.
Where is your work baning those trolls/bots??
Double shame on you!

mrkgnao: In the last three years, the first week of October saw GOG celebrating its 10th/11th/12th anniversary. I wonder what this year's celebration will be like.
I wonder the same, if they will have the guts to pretend celebrate like nothing happens, openly lying with their self proclaimed ,,,DRM-Free principle,,, ...
Now, please excuse me, I'm in a hurry: I really need to throw up!!
EnforcerSunWoo: ...There is so much that I turned over to GOG that will never see the light of day here that would of been the stuff of dreams as far as extras are concerned. Including some alt. versions that people have been requesting for so many years at this point, but nothing will come of it and that it is just sad. To me it was just a step they took, another sign of them not giving a damn anymore.
I think I know the feeling, having supplied a couple of items as prospective extras, receiving a "thank you" from support - and then nothing. Don't suppose you could provide more details for curiosity's sake?
mrkgnao: In case any of you have communicated with GamezRanker on the forum recently and are waiting for his reply, please note that it may take him a while to do so.

He got a one-week forum ban for "questioning moderation".
Hmm - interesting. I wonder if the same thing might happen to someone else?
high rated
mastyer-kenobi: To show a pattern you need to show more than one. I'd like the list of features removed and if they even worked.
mrkgnao: Here are a few examples. All of them were proudly highlighted by GOG, all of them worked for years (except the last one, thank god), all of them were later removed, usually with almost no acknowledgement (all well before you joined GOG, judging by your user info):

- flat worldwide price (GOG even made a well-known video ad about this one)
- only two price points ($5.99 and $9.99)
- GOGmixes ("temporarily" removed years ago (losing people lots of data) with a promise they will return; still waiting)
- lots of free goodies with every game (and none of them tied to galaxy)
- no geolocation (i.e. country was determined by user)
- installers bundled with galaxy (short-lived because of user outcry; nobody misses this one, I'm sure)

Now, you --- and many others, including me --- might think that it's good that they removed some of these features, but that doesn't invalidate KenGAllard's point. For example, I think it's wonderful that they removed GOG Connect.
Few more gems.

Removing the old shelf system (you could manually sort, drag & drop,, I spent ages organising)
Fake site closure.
Competitions that involve social media posts (cheap sheeple advertising).
Those fffkkng insomnia sales!
That counter sale where we all waited forever for Jack Keane 2 to sell out so we could move on.
Drm free movies!!!!
Good News!
Gog Bear (404)
Games removed without warning
Duplicate purchase risks due to legacy versions (fallout) or bundles.
Getting rid of good forum mods.
Removal of old offline download manager.
Many gamers???
Splitting games off from their expansions into individual entries coz 'galaxy'.
Unfixed serious vulnerabilities in galaxy.
Slow galaxy updates.
Poor galaxy updates.
Get galaxy, try galaxy, download with galaxy, offline installers with galaxy, have you tried galaxy? We'll spam your email with galaxy, free games with galaxy, free galaxy with any game, did we mention galaxy? Me love you long time for galaxy, We'll delete your account if you don't get galaxy (coming soon).

I'm sure there's even more that I've just repressed, Jack Keane 2 still haunts me (& my gaming shelf, I took one for the team & bought the last one).
KentGAllard: Also, does anyone remember GOG Connect?
Hard to forget, as it's linked to every GOG page, even though it has been cancelled.

mrkgnao: I myself have learned a lot of new dating terminology this past week
A while back I happened to see someone's dating profile, and the profile text had only two letters: "sd".

I was really at loss whether that was a typo or the person was a retro gamer who prefers Standard Definition or something. After a while I learnt that it probably means Sugar Dating. At least "P2P" would have been self-evident there!
KentGAllard: Also, does anyone remember GOG Connect?
PixelBoy: Hard to forget, as it's linked to every GOG page, even though it has been cancelled.

mrkgnao: I myself have learned a lot of new dating terminology this past week
PixelBoy: A while back I happened to see someone's dating profile, and the profile text had only two letters: "sd".

I was really at loss whether that was a typo or the person was a retro gamer who prefers Standard Definition or something. After a while I learnt that it probably means Sugar Dating. At least "P2P" would have been self-evident there!
Had to look up "Sugar Dating" on Wikipedia. Thank you for the new term.
mrkgnao: Had to look up "Sugar Dating" on Wikipedia. Thank you for the new term.
o.O So you've never heard of a sugar daddy/momma before?
One week after release we are still waiting for this shit to be removed. Nothing but silence on the gog side.
But people will not compromise on this, if they will not say something people will just leave gog, of course then you will not see any new message here, but you will also not see any message at all.
I too will only be here for a few more days, after that I will lose interest in gog.
high rated
I, like many people I imagine, were excited when we got the email that the new Hitman is now DRM free. Once I saw the email, I instantly came to purchase it, despite already owing it on Steam and Epic. But when I saw the reviews, I was glad I didn't.

In my opinion, if any Single Player content is locked to an Online Mode, it should never appear on GOG.

Of course, multiplayer features will need online connectivity, and can agree that user generated content will need it, but only to download it, not to constantly require it.

This is very disappointing and I hope they, either work with the publisher to fix this (and remove it from the store in the meantime), or permanently remove it, as this is not what I want from this Store.

I have re-bought many games here that I have initially bought on other platforms because it is DRM free. If you remove that, then what is the point anymore.

Edit: poor spelling and grammar.
Post edited September 29, 2021 by JiminyJickers
low rated
JiminyJickers: I, like many people I imagine, were excited when we got the email that the new Hitman is now DRM free. Once I saw the email, I instantly came to purchase it, despite already owing it on Steam and Epic. But when I saw the reviews, I was glad I didn't.

In my opinion, if any Single Player content is locked to and Online Mode, it should never appear on GOG.

Of course, multiplayer features will need online connectivity, and can agree that user generated content will need it, but only to download it, not to constantly require it.

This is very disappointing and I hope they, either work with the publisher to fix this (and remove it from the store in the meantime), or permanently remove it, as this is not what I want from this Store.

I have re-bought many games here that I have initially bought on other platforms because it is DRM free. If you remove that, then what is the point anymore.

If I was to play devil's advocate, I'd argue that online connectivity is a huge chunk in many newer games and certain features are part of innovative development. That is something we as gamers need to understand and tolerate to an extent, especially if we want more new, AAA games on GOG. Being online isn't necessary the same as DRM, depending on how you define it.
There are however limits to what we can tolerate and in the case of Hitman it becomes absurd when even unlocks of weapons and inventory are restricted. It doesn't bode well when GOG claim that the game doesn't need to be activated online which is just plain dishonesty.

I do, however, think it's a much bigger problem when GOG neglects their offline installers to promote the Galaxy platform. If Galaxy is mandatory for a satisfying gaming experience then why even bother with GOG? Steam will offer a superior experience with more frequent updates and the same amount of DRM in most games.
Post edited September 29, 2021 by Mjauv
high rated
Mjauv: If I was to play devil's advocate, I'd argue that online connectivity is a huge chunk in many newer games and certain features are part of innovative development. That is something we as gamers need to understand and tolerate to an extent, especially if we want more new, AAA games on GOG. Being online isn't necessary the same as DRM, depending on how you define it.
There are however limits to what we can tolerate and in the case of Hitman it becomes absurd when even unlocks of weapons and inventory are restricted. It doesn't bode well when GOG claim that the game doesn't need to be activated online which is just plain dishonesty.
I think the critical question is: "could certain feature be an offline feature?"

If it's something like global ranking board, then obviously there needs to be some connectivity, because otherwise it just doesn't work at all.
But if it's something like unlocking some gear in the game, then there's really no real reason for that to be behind an online connection, because such things have been proven to work 100% offline for few past decades.

If we think a bit further, there are some games where the line between single player and multiplayer has been blurred, like some sandbox game that you basically play in single player mode, but there are other players playing their own single player games in the shared environment. Could that ever be made 100% offline game, I don't know.
Then again, some multiplayer FPS games and such have a training mode where you play against bots, so at least some partial solutions do exist.
JiminyJickers: I, like many people I imagine, were excited when we got the email that the new Hitman is now DRM free. Once I saw the email, I instantly came to purchase it, despite already owing it on Steam and Epic. But when I saw the reviews, I was glad I didn't.

In my opinion, if any Single Player content is locked to and Online Mode, it should never appear on GOG.

Mjauv: If I was to play devil's advocate, I'd argue that online connectivity is a huge chunk in many newer games and certain features are part of innovative development. That is something we as gamers need to understand and tolerate to an extent, especially if we want more new, AAA games on GOG. Being online isn't necessary the same as DRM, depending on how you define it.

I do, however, think it's a much bigger problem when GOG neglects their offline installers to promote the Galaxy platform. If Galaxy is mandatory for a satisfying gaming experience then why even bother with GOG? Steam will offer a superior experience with more frequent updates and the same amount of DRM in most games.
Absolutely agree, offline installers are such a rare thing these days, which is a shame.

These days, there is a soft DRM (which I hate) where new developers / publishers want to introduce extra features only if you are online, and for 99% I am, but I'm here on gog.com for the 1% when I can rely on not needng servers etc., to be online for me to install and play a game I love, being 1 year from now, or 20 years in the future.
Technical question; I honestly don't know this:

When a game, like in this case, requires an online connection for certain features, does that mean the game could theoretically force updates and refuse access to features/content, if you somehow didn't accept a patch?

JiminyJickers: Absolutely agree, offline installers are such a rare thing these days, which is a shame.

These days, there is a soft DRM (which I hate) where new developers / publishers want to introduce extra features only if you are online, and for 99% I am, but I'm here on gog.com for the 1% when I can rely on not needng servers etc., to be online for me to install and play a game I love, being 1 year from now, or 20 years in the future.
I'm no software engineer but my spontaneous suggestion would be an overhaul to how the patching system works so as to have the offline patch being created automatically based on the Galaxy-linked update.

And in case the blue's actually read this post: how about an AMA-thread where community managers actually make an effort to adress the concerns of your audience instead of ignoring the problem? Nobody makes this much fuzz over an issue for the lulz of it - you are breaching a trust-based agreement with your most loyal customers and that isn't something to brush aside.