It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Experiment and have fun in the ultimate playground as Agent 47 to become the master assassin. HITMAN - Game of The Year Edition is now available on GOG.COM with an astounding 70% discount that will last until 29th September 2021, 1 PM UTC.

Get ready for even more challenges! All games from the Hitman series available on GOG.COM receive 75% discounts lasting also until 29th September 2021, 1 PM UTC:

Share our love for games? Subscribe to our newsletter for news, releases, and exclusive discounts. Visit the “Privacy & settings” section of your GOG account to join now!
high rated
Dear Community,

Thank you for your patience and for giving us the time to investigate the release of HITMAN GOTY on GOG. As promised, we’re getting back to you with updates.

We're still in dialogue with IO Interactive about this release. Today we have removed HITMAN GOTY from GOG’s catalog – we shouldn’t have released it in its current form, as you’ve pointed out.

We’d like to apologise for the confusion and anger generated by this situation. We’ve let you down and we’d like to thank you for bringing this topic to us – while it was honest to the bone, it shows how passionate you are towards GOG.

We appreciate your feedback and will continue our efforts to improve our communication with you.
Post edited October 08, 2021 by chandra
low rated
Gognarok: a theory..

maybe GOG got's hacked and these hackers uploaded malicious content and spreading nonsense to their website just to damage GOG's reputation?

so it is safer not to download something or making any payments here at the moment.
fronzelneekburm: Not sure if this falls into the denial-phase or the bargaining-phase of the Kübler-Ross model. ;-P
i just applied the principle of Occam's razor
high rated
I would also like to voice my displeasure at the state in which this game has been released on GOG, and doubly so at GOG's extremely disappointing reaction to perfectly justified complaints from their customer base. I will be watching how this situation evolves and considering carefully whether to keep placing my trust in this platform.
low rated
If you look at the charts, Hitman seems to be quite successful, despite the huge backlash.

I wouldn't be surprised if there could be more games with DRM in the future. It's still business after all
chandra: Dear GOG community!

Thank you for bringing this topic to our attention. We’re looking into it and will be updating you in the coming weeks. In case you have purchased HITMAN and are not satisfied with the released version, you can use your right to refund the game. At the same time, while we’re open for meritful discussion and feedback, we will not tolerate review bombing and will be removing posts that do not follow our review guidelines.
Just... going to keep digging that hole, huh?
low rated
Freystein7320: If you look at the charts, Hitman seems to be quite successful, despite the huge backlash.

I wouldn't be surprised if there could be more games with DRM in the future. It's still business after all
There's a good chance people just assumed it's DRM free because it's on GOG and they see some backlash. There's also a good chance the story mode and bonus missions being DRM free is enough for most people, as not everyone is a zealot on these issues like those who post on the forum are. Hopefully more the former than the latter, we'll see.

The fact GOG said anything at all, and Eurogamer and other sites reported on it, shows it's a "big deal" to at least some degree. What they do about it, who knows. Doubt contracts allow them to pull the game.
high rated
StingingVelvet: There's also a good chance the story mode and bonus missions being DRM free is enough for most people, as not everyone is a zealot on these issues like those who post on the forum are.
Welcome, everyone, to the world of freefalling standards in which not wanting to have to check in with a server to be able to unlock single player items is "zealotry".
high rated
Freystein7320: If you look at the charts, Hitman seems to be quite successful, despite the huge backlash.

Reminds me of a famous store front for electronic dance music where a friend of mine was listed as the no.1 selling track for 5 weeks in a row.... the impact it made on people was not at all in accordance with the sales figures. He did not sell much at all but people had no problem to percive it as a fact that he was now successfull. He also said that he had sold way more with other tracks that never even reach top 25.

The degree of fabrication/projection people added with their own imagination just by seing him on the no1 spot is actually disturbing and sad...it was far from the actuall reality.

..just saying, even if GOG do not fudge things and use the chart to push new titles as they please the real number can be anything... also, I would predict that quite a decent number is people buying it in an instant while being convinced it's actually DRM free and not like a poor Steam version.
low rated
I'd like settle my position here.

I still believe in GOG, which, with it's parent, CD PROJEKT RED, done for DRM-free movement more than any other companies (IMHO).

I just hope the solution for changing world will be found. Eg. thick red badge over DRM'ed game page, respecting filters, user setting "don't show DRM'ed products" and check mark for users with such setting "I understand this product has anti-features", etc. So the rest will be up to us, customers, we could buy or not. We could influence on DRM'ed software sales, or not.

And I'd definitely like to know (before the buy and in explicit and bright manner) about product anti-features: online-only content, online-only updates, micro-transactions or any other marketing perversions. That's strict requirement, not an option.

Personally, I can live with GOG selling not only DRM-free products. As far as they support DRM-free movement.

[The very personal opinion below, may be skipped]
Ages ago I've made decision not pay for DRM'ed content, except the extremely special cases. And those were just three of these: two Subnauticas (just cant resist to mention) and some other game.

And, in foreseeable future FOSS burst grow and SaaS replacing software on-premises will make this my position obsolete mostly.
Post edited September 26, 2021 by 6355
high rated
Another one
https://www.pcgamer.com/au/gog-users-arent-happy-about-hitmans-online-requirements/
low rated

There wasn't a "huge backlash". It's just the vocal minority.
Good. The more, the merrier. GOG deserves getting piled on for their dumb decisions.
low rated
StingingVelvet: There's also a good chance the story mode and bonus missions being DRM free is enough for most people, as not everyone is a zealot on these issues like those who post on the forum are.
TerminalFerocity: Welcome, everyone, to the world of freefalling standards in which not wanting to have to check in with a server to be able to unlock single player items is "zealotry".
The term is not used just because what is happenig right now, because the defective Hitman release is evident.
It is just that the same people and the same outrage will not be changed if the Hitman issue is resolved or not.

Yes.The appellative is accurate: zealots, inquisitors, videogaming paratalibanism. Protectors of the essences, world savers.

With such Hitman release GOG is giving them chance and reasons to continue their lore. Their hobby are not videogames but to find the supposed contradictions of the company selling the games. Apparently funnier than Hitman 2016

But I am sure you do no not agree with me
low rated
TerminalFerocity: Welcome, everyone, to the world of freefalling standards in which not wanting to have to check in with a server to be able to unlock single player items is "zealotry".
I've made it very clear I don't think this game should be sold here in its current state. That doesn't mean I'll pretend the vast majority of consumers care about such things. They don't. The forum members here are absolutely more zealous about DRM than the average person.
Now most major gaming news outlets are talking about this. CD Projekt must be proud that their offspring are now famous, all for the wrong reasons.

First CD Projekt Red with the Cyberpunk catastrophe, and less than a year later GOG also manages to compromise their values.

Good job.
Post edited September 26, 2021 by racofer
Mr.Mumbles: Good. The more, the merrier. GOG deserves getting piled on for their dumb decisions.
Well, that'll make some noise. Eurogamer, PC Gamer, Kotaku, and RockPaperShotgun are some of the bigger gaming sites.

I'm still waiting for GameSpot and IGN to pick-up on this total fiasco too.