It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Experiment and have fun in the ultimate playground as Agent 47 to become the master assassin. HITMAN - Game of The Year Edition is now available on GOG.COM with an astounding 70% discount that will last until 29th September 2021, 1 PM UTC.

Get ready for even more challenges! All games from the Hitman series available on GOG.COM receive 75% discounts lasting also until 29th September 2021, 1 PM UTC:

Share our love for games? Subscribe to our newsletter for news, releases, and exclusive discounts. Visit the “Privacy & settings” section of your GOG account to join now!
high rated
Dear Community,

Thank you for your patience and for giving us the time to investigate the release of HITMAN GOTY on GOG. As promised, we’re getting back to you with updates.

We're still in dialogue with IO Interactive about this release. Today we have removed HITMAN GOTY from GOG’s catalog – we shouldn’t have released it in its current form, as you’ve pointed out.

We’d like to apologise for the confusion and anger generated by this situation. We’ve let you down and we’d like to thank you for bringing this topic to us – while it was honest to the bone, it shows how passionate you are towards GOG.

We appreciate your feedback and will continue our efforts to improve our communication with you.
Post edited October 08, 2021 by chandra
Linko64: If you don't listen/give users a place to have their say,
BreOl72: You mean...like in this thread?
I was talking about the act of why review bombs happen. shockingly if you read a post you'll see that. I know right?
Linko64: I don't think they really get the ideals of review bombing. The users feel utterly ignored here, they know leaving negative reviews for a title that betrays the fundamental principles of the store is a way to get their message across. To mention it is to admit as much.

This is bananas lol

If you don't listen/give users a place to have their say, then they will review the bomb as it is proven to get results. This isn't a new method and I'm stunned they would mention it as it confirms the practices as effective for future issues.

At the core of this is the failure to communicate with users.
Well said, all the latest PR speak did is show everyone just how out of touch, and also how dismissive GOG is with its own userbase.
Post edited September 24, 2021 by ReynardFox
high rated
chandra: Dear GOG community!

Thank you for bringing this topic to our attention. We’re looking into it and will be updating you in the coming weeks. In case you have purchased HITMAN and are not satisfied with the released version, you can use your right to refund the game. At the same time, while we’re open for meritful discussion and feedback, we will not tolerate review bombing and will be removing posts that do not follow our review guidelines.
I'm sorry but that response, that took 3 days, comes across very disingenuous. Where is the apology for misleading the community on this release? Where is the apology for the time taken to respond? Rather than admitting you guys have made a mistake you focus on review bombing?

If your concerned about the review bombing then perhaps remove it from the store, which would be the correct thing to do and get in touch with the community more quickly.

I'm very sorry to moan but this response is not really good enough.
EnforcerSunWoo: I've had conversations with her behind the scenes and offered advice that wasn't taken that could of helped the community and GOG be on better terms. However she did nothing at all. I feel that I am justified in my response. None of you know the amount of legwork that I have done behind the scenes for a great many years to help with community issues.
Linko64: I don't think they really get the ideals of review bombing. The users feel utterly ignored here, they know leaving negative reviews for a title that betrays the fundamental principles of the store is a way to get their message across. To mention it is to admit as much.

This is bananas lol

If you don't listen/give users a place to have their say, then they will review the bomb as it is proven to get results. This isn't a new method and I'm stunned they would mention it as it confirms the practices as effective for future issues.

At the core of this is the failure to communicate with users.
Thank you
It seems the original information in Hitman's store page about the online requirements, the one below the system requirements, was deleted. Now there's just a dot in the message's place. The information at the top of the game's description is still there, tho.
high rated
I can get behind this protest. Locking single player campaign progress or content behind online requirements is a big no no. Hope to see this problem resolved soon.
low rated
At least the situation has been acknowledged. Now I can sit back until we get all the info, and decide what to do afterward. As I mentioned before, I like the game, and I'd be fine if the progression was offline (the other modes aren't really fleshed out, and there are at least a few justifications as to why making them online kind of made sense).
high rated
_Auster_: It seems the original information in Hitman's store page about the online requirements, the one below the system requirements, was deleted. Now there's just a dot in the message's place. The information at the top of the game's description is still there, tho.
50+ hours after release, and still no mention of player progress, i.e. unlocking gadgets, guns, starting locations, etc, being locked behind an online requirement. This is clearly false advertising.
Post edited September 24, 2021 by TheDudeLebowski
low rated
Linko64: I was talking about the act of why review bombs happen
So according to you it's:
Linko64: ...give users a place to have their say, OR they will review the bomb...
?
Again: we all had (and still have) that place to have a say - it's called the forum, inside which, we have this very thread...and you were (and still are) able to voice your opinion here.

Therefore, your point of "we had to resort to review bombing, because you guys gave us no designated place to have ourself heard" was rendered completely invalid from the get go.

Your "reason why" was never existent.

edit: added the first quote
Post edited September 24, 2021 by BreOl72
low rated
TheDudeLebowski: 50+ hours after release, and still no mention of player progress, i.e. saving your game, being locked behind an online requirement. This is clearly false advertising.
Because it is not, the saves and story progression are working offline. It's the "meta" progression, as in score that are used to unlock new stuff that is online only.
Post edited September 24, 2021 by Gersen
PixelBoy: I don't think so. GOG and their parent company have made some unbelievably bad PR decisions.

Regional pricing and the reaction that followed?
That's a good example. I remember well the massive outcry back then. And now, six years later, how many people around here still complain about regional pricing? Two (Cavalary and me)? Many in fact now ask for more regional pricing.

So in the long run, GOG got its way despite the short-lived temper tantrum on the forum.

I wouldn't be too surprised if six years from now people will not even remember what the fuss was all about when they released a game with online-only DRM because GOG will be full of them. And people will be asking for more.

Don't underestimate the power of just "waiting for the storm to subside". GOG is a master at that.

Don't be surprised if in a week or two, when GOG releases some long-awaited DRM-free game or launches a big sale, all will be forgotten and people will be back to buying here as normal.
Going to feel real bad for the person who has to Stream this game on Twitch.
high rated
chandra: Dear GOG community!

Thank you for bringing this topic to our attention. We’re looking into it and will be updating you in the coming weeks. In case you have purchased HITMAN and are not satisfied with the released version, you can use your right to refund the game. At the same time, while we’re open for meritful discussion and feedback, we will not tolerate review bombing and will be removing posts that do not follow our review guidelines.
Since GOG has broken its own principles and guidelines regarding DRM, shouldn´t GOG remove the game from the store?
TheDudeLebowski: 50+ hours after release, and still no mention of player progress, i.e. saving your game, being locked behind an online requirement. This is clearly false advertising.
Gersen: Because it is not, the saves and story progression are working offline. It's the "meta" progression, as in score that are used to unlock new stuff that is online only.
I'll edit to rephrase, then, just to make it clearer.
high rated
Games are so treated like a service, it's really hard for me to buy Day 1 anymore. "Release now, patch later" is the attitude - and this really doesn't benefit someone wanting to Buy on Day 1; might as well wait until things are much better.

This is often why I do not buy games Day 1 anywhere anymore. You often get the worst of the game, on Day 1 - and this is now even if it's a re-release to be done later on a certain different service.

I really miss the days when I bought a game on retail & got the same exact version without any DRM on GOG - and could just buy it on GOG, knowing nothing would be different. No achievements, no online-only stuff - just play offline and go.

We never know what can go wrong, say from porting from one version (Steam) to another (GOG) - especially if DRM got fully checked, online-only requirements, etc etc.

We've seen what happened w/ GOG version of No Man's Sky (especially in updates locking out content to not work offline) and Hitman 1: GOTY (2016 reboot), right?

And also, you might not even be able to pull your saves from one-version (Steam) to another (GOG), depending on the changes in the background w/ them making different version, re-porting, and whatnot.

Always buy later, often when games are much cheaper too - likely when most of the issues w/ DRM, etc - have been already taken care of. Day 1'ers are often unfortunately just paying Alpha Testers or paying Beta Testers.

These are going to be trying times now w/ more games leaning into proprietary online service features & things like Steamworks, Epic Store, etc - and then going to have to port them over to GOG. Dev's are going to have to re-work and/or re-port games, their features, what works offline, etc etc - more so than ever b/c of not making good offline modes for EVERY single piece of single player content, if they're going to bring this stuff properly to the GOG Crowd who loves this stuff.

I love DRM-FREE - and many of my reasons for re-buying on GOG has nothing to do w/ Galaxy and that stuff. I just want the game and ALL of its SP-style content to always work offline, w/ no need of Galaxy and no need of Internet-connected stuff. Sometimes, I ain't in a place where I can get myself Internet-connected - and I want to get this stuff going offline. This stuff doesn't always work offline w/ Steam-versions, Epic-versions, Origin-versions, etc etc.

I really love the Hitman games - and honestly, for now, I'll just stick to my old Hitman games (Hitman Codename 47, Hitman 3: Contracts, Hitman 2: SA, Hitman: Blood Money, Hitman: Absolution) that I own all over the place (some from retail, some from Steam, some from GOG, etc) and my Steam-versions of Hitman 1 and 2.

And really, I was so glad to see Hitman: GOTY (2016) come to GOG....until this. No wonder I don't buy much on Day 1; dev's, publishers, and/or services keep giving me less reasons to do so.
Post edited September 24, 2021 by MysterD