It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Experiment and have fun in the ultimate playground as Agent 47 to become the master assassin. HITMAN - Game of The Year Edition is now available on GOG.COM with an astounding 70% discount that will last until 29th September 2021, 1 PM UTC.

Get ready for even more challenges! All games from the Hitman series available on GOG.COM receive 75% discounts lasting also until 29th September 2021, 1 PM UTC:

Share our love for games? Subscribe to our newsletter for news, releases, and exclusive discounts. Visit the “Privacy & settings” section of your GOG account to join now!
high rated
Dear Community,

Thank you for your patience and for giving us the time to investigate the release of HITMAN GOTY on GOG. As promised, we’re getting back to you with updates.

We're still in dialogue with IO Interactive about this release. Today we have removed HITMAN GOTY from GOG’s catalog – we shouldn’t have released it in its current form, as you’ve pointed out.

We’d like to apologise for the confusion and anger generated by this situation. We’ve let you down and we’d like to thank you for bringing this topic to us – while it was honest to the bone, it shows how passionate you are towards GOG.

We appreciate your feedback and will continue our efforts to improve our communication with you.
Post edited October 08, 2021 by chandra
I've put together a "Difinitive" ;) list of what's wrong with GOG DRMed version of Hitman(2016), and GOG release of the game itself.
Feel free to correct me on mistakes and tell what else should be added on the list.
https://steamcommunity.com/groups/DenuvoGames/discussions/0/2951536988384791347/
trynoval: I've put together a "Difinitive" ;) list of what's wrong with GOG DRMed version of Hitman(2016), and GOG release of the game itself.
Feel free to correct me on mistakes and tell what else should be added on the list.
https://steamcommunity.com/groups/DenuvoGames/discussions/0/2951536988384791347/
Did you add this to the GOG forums? Most steam users don't care if the game has DRM or not.
high rated
I want to " thank " GOG for showing me the middle one in my face … be me being oh shit wtf is that The First Hitman from the new Trilogy on GOG and DRM FREE OMGGGGG !? And then me realizing it was to good to be true … guess what it's DRM-ed. No thank you i prefer to spend my heard earned money on something that respects customers and their principles. And to IO Interactive … shame on you, 5 year old game and you are still afraid of your own customers. You guys have no love for gaming or gamers in general. Was planning to get Hitman 3 soon, but i guess i won't do that either, i was but a fool to think you guys getting lose from the grips of Square Enix was a good move but it seems in reality your greed was there since the start, whoever is pulling the strings on decisions to DRM game stuff to a server is pure EVIL, whoever you are my guy you have no place in this industry, i really wish you a DRM-ed IRL to feel the taste of having something you love taken and someone slapping you silly telling you nope you can't have that. And to GOG on whoever is pulling the strings on DRM stuff here you are way worse than the IO guy, this platform grew so much for exactly the reasons on not having DRM on games. Imagine having Ferrari selling fully packaged cars to it's audience for years growing it's community, profiting a lot and then coming one day, another day and another days step by step saying yeah we said we sell fully packaged cars but we will sell them without wheels now, you will have to check with us one every few days to use our tires if you want to drive …
Post edited September 23, 2021 by lixicus
trynoval: I've put together a "Difinitive" ;) list of what's wrong with GOG DRMed version of Hitman(2016), and GOG release of the game itself.
SuperLibby72: Did you add this to the GOG forums? Most steam users don't care if the game has DRM or not.
It's published on "Denuvo Games" group, I'm part of, group that tracks Denuvo DRM at Steam Store. So people there do care.
I can re-post this later on GOG forums, if needed.
high rated
Worrying news.
Anything that demands a constant online connection to third party servers, especially ones all but guaranteed to go down got no place in the DRM-free store. One could get his fill of that poison elsewhere, and I've grown tired of said DRM servers going under years ago.
I do believe online DRM is the worst sort of the DRM, innocuous as it seems by merely requiring connection. All other forms at least don't deprive you of your purchase when the plug inevitably gets pulled out.
trynoval: Thanks. But in general, like silent majority, If I boycott, I just do it. Online petitions never work anyway.
A certain vocal minority successfully managed to affect many great franchises, heck, even politics and public opinion with their demands and complaints. Despite being an infinitesimal portion of the population and paying customers both. I do believe a greater number of loyal, buying customers being vocal about the real, important problems would help.
high rated
SmollestLight: Story and bonus missions can be played offline :) For Escalation missions, Elusive Targets or user-created Contracts you will need an online connection.
But you need to be online to unlock content on the singleplayer campaign, like weapons and suits, I thought this version would be the definitive Hitman version but they bring that crap into GOG too, at least ask the devs to remove the online requirement...
high rated
Seriously, any and all customers should make some noise and demand that the store front remains fully drm-free for single player content at the very least. There really is no reason why this couldn't of been implemented other than laziness. This game really has no business being here in this state. Anybody that bought it expecting to have a run at the full content should demand a refund. They have to learn that they cannot have single player content behind an online lock and still retain their customer base.
Chasmancer: A certain vocal minority successfully managed to affect many great franchises, heck, even politics and public opinion with their demands and complaints. Despite being an infinitesimal portion of the population and paying customers both. I do believe a greater number of loyal, buying customers being vocal about the real, important problems would help.
You are welcome to join us here:
https://www.gog.com/forum/general/boycotting_gog_2021
This is the #1 bestseller currently. Assuming GOG isn't manipulating the bestseller page, does this mean most users don't actually care much about DRM-free, or what should be the takeaway?
tfishell: This is the #1 bestseller currently. Assuming GOG isn't manipulating the bestseller page, does this mean most users don't actually care much about DRM-free, or what should be the takeaway?
Probably that a lot of people don't read the fine print and that Gog support will be busy with refunds for the next several weeks (or not, seems Gog may have expected this and automated the refund process for this particular game).
MarkoH01: That's where your logic error lies. Nobody who is listed in the boycott thread actually dislikes GOG - it is the opposite. They know what GOG was and what GOG could be and they see how GOG is now. They are punishing GOG with a motive of making it better again.
I have to agree with that part. They certainly have a lot more faith in GOG, especially as a principled entity, than I do.

My relationship with GOG has always primarily been one of convenience (I want quality drm-free games and GOG has been selling them).

To a degree (because I personally believe trust should always have limits), I can trust individuals that I've come to respect. I have a much harder time doing that with the abstract concept of a corporation.

My disagreement with a lot of the boy-cotters has been around that difference of perspective and certainly not a perception that they didn't care about GOG (quite the contrary, I was under the impression they cared way too much).

I'd say in many ways, they are bigger supporters of GOG than I am, even though I keep throwing money at GOG and they don't.
Post edited September 23, 2021 by Magnitus
high rated
SmollestLight: Story and bonus missions can be played offline :) For Escalation missions, Elusive Targets or user-created Contracts you will need an online connection.
I have a contract for you.
Take a newspaper, preferably a Sunday edition. Roll it up slowly so that you optimize the circular nature of it. Walk with this newspaper menacingly though the halls, until you reach the Biuro kierowników produktu. [the product manager's office]

Enter the office, and delikatnie uderzaj menedżera produktu, aż zapyta dlaczego. [gently smack them with a newspaper until they ask why.]

And explain at length, what the heck GOG stands for.

Jeśli z powodu wakatu w biurze nie ma kierownika produktu, udaj się do gabinetu dyrektora ds. rekrutacji i zamiast tego daj mu klapsa gazetą.

Jeśli nie ma biura kierownika produktu, udaj się do apartamentu dla kadry kierowniczej i zapytaj, co do cholery ktokolwiek robi już w GOG.

[In the absence of a product manager due to a vacancy, go to the Hiring Director and smack them instead.]

[If the office of Product Manager doesn't exist, enter the Executive Suite and ask what the hell anyone is doing at GOG anymore.]
thefallenalchemist: The point is, all of those other DRM-Free sites are crap in terms of what people are looking for, aside from Steam. People want big releases without DRM locks. It doesn't look to me like these major publishers are willing to do that easily. Case in point, we still don't have Doom 2016 or even Skyrim, despite that it has been released five times over. Bethesda is not ready to give this up.

Of all the great JRPG's that Squenix is known for, they gave us Tomb Raider. I guess releasing the DRM on a single Final Fantasy game would cause the earth to spin out of orbit.

The Batman games were a total fluke and I think they came on Warner's assumptions that CP2077 was going to be a major hit for them. They would have never given up Batman now. Please keep in mind that prior to that game's release, we were getting some rather large titles.

But make no mistake, the CP2077 disaster definitely put a level of distaste in the mouths of publishers and could be a very good reason as to why we have gotten some rather bizarre curated titles as of recent. GOG has to convince these publishers to release the DRM and to be fair, if that game is doing well with it, publishers see no reason to go without it.

The only market I can see doing well with truly DRM-Free games is the adult market. All the NSFW stores offer no DRM. DLSite added a weird online code you have to register on the site, but you don't need it to play the game after that.
InSaintMonoxide: I don't quite understand why the messy release of Cyberpunk 2077 would influence publishers / developers decisions not to release certain titles on GOG. I don't get the connection here.
The Warner Bros partnership, which we clearly saw the benefits of on GOG.
tfishell: This is the #1 bestseller currently. Assuming GOG isn't manipulating the bestseller page, does this mean most users don't actually care much about DRM-free, or what should be the takeaway?
I think that like DeviantArt openly admitted to doing, the bestsellers page is doctored to a degree of weighting. In the case of deviantArt, they did it so the main page wouldn't be the weird fetish pictures that were the real subject often.
high rated
GilesHabibula: I am wondering how much work would it take for IOI to make all single-player aspects playable offline. While it probably isn't trivial to do so, it probably wouldn't be too big of hurdle either.

They would gain a lot of goodwill by doing whatever it takes to make it happen.
ReynardFox: And if it was a hurdle too big for IOI and they were unwilling to overcome it, GOG should have rejected the game outright.

But that would have required a spine.
Well said.

Yes, bringing a properly un-DRMed version of the game to GOG would have required more work. If IOI is content to keep the game server-reliant forever, that's their decision. But if IOI is not willing to allow local save files, neither they nor GOG should have agreed to release the game here.