It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

We're casting True Resurrection on Eye of the Beholder and twelve more D&D GoldBox classics.

You are sitting in a tavern. The mighty Wizards of the Coast bestow upon you their greatest treasures: Forgotten Realms: The Archives - long lost relics of an RPG renaissance that changed the face of gaming forever. Today, one of the forgotten grails of gaming history is within your grasp, should you travel to a magical, DRM-free realm known as GOG.com

Eye of the Beholder, Pool of Radiance, Menzoberranzan - the list of groundbreaking RPG classics goes on. We set out on the quest for Forgotten Realms: The Archives a long time ago, and though it was a perilous journey - after years of searching, huge help from our friends at Hasbro and Wizards of The Coast, as well as months of technical work - we get to be freaking excited to sit here and say:
Forgotten Realms: The Archives are available now, DRM-free on GOG.com

The Archives are a set of thirteen D&D GoldBox classics packaged across three collections:
--<span class="bold">Forgotten Realms: The Archives - Collection One</span> features Eye of the Beholder I, II, and III. It's the three and only, the gold-standard in classic RPG dungeon crawling.

--<span class="bold">Forgotten Realms: The Archives - Collection Two</span> features more gameplay hours and secrets than we could ever count - with Pool of Radiance, Hillsfar, Curse of the Azure Bonds, Gateway to the Savage Frontier, Pools of Darkness, Secret of the Silver Blades, Treasures of the Savage Frontier, and D&D: Unlimited Adventures.

--<span class="bold">Forgotten Realms: The Archives - Collection Three</span> features near-infinite replay value and and an important chunk of RPG history with Dungeon Hack and Menzoberranzan.

We are now home to precisely 20 years of digital D&D RPG history - from Pool of Radiance (1988) to Neverwinter Nights 2: Storm of Zehir (2008). You can also complete your personal collection with all the remaining D&D titles on sale at up to 80% off in our early D&amp;D Weekend Promo! Planescape Torment, Baldur's Gate, Neverwinter Nights - they're all here, so head straight to the promo page, or read more about it.

Stream watch:

We'll be featuring lots of D&D classics at Twitch.tv/GOGcom - follow us to not miss 'em or read on for the full Dungeon-and-Dragon-filled schedule below!

THURSDAY, August 20th:
2pm GMT / 4pm CEST / 10am EDT / 7am PDT: Pool of Radiance with Classicor
4pm GMT / 6pm CEST / 12pm EDT / 9am PDT: Eye of the Beholder II with MegapiemanPHD
6pm GMT / 8pm CEST / 2pm EDT / 11am PDT: Eye of the Beholder with Outstar
10pm GMT / 12am CEST / 6pm EDT / 3pm PDT: Menzoberranzan with Classicor

FRIDAY, August 21st:
6pm GMT / 8pm CEST / 2pm EDT / 11am PDT: Curse of the Azure Bonds with Piranjade

SUNDAY, August 23rd:
10pm GMT / 12am CEST / 6pm EDT / 3pm PDT: Dungeon Hack with Classicor
aluinie: Didnt notice that means no steam :) hopefully means a lot more people coming our way
from steam forums? fuck , i hope not. they piss me off more than EotB.
You just made my day!
jcoa: Do the games have the character transfer utilities that were included in other releases? Also, how is the included code wheel going to work with the Pool of Radiance games? Will the answers be highlighted, or are we going to have to piece it together and make it exactly like the original code wheel?

Also just saw that gog is the publisher, does that mean they own the Forgotten Realms series forever?
They very well should be since they are kind of a defining feature for those games in the Archives that have sequels :)
What's going on with the rights to Fantasy Empires? :o
The Eye of the Beholder games and the Pool of Radience series are the amongst the highlights of my childhood gaming experience. Top work GOG.
NoNewTaleToTell: or others that are completely different than the "This Really Isn't Ye Olde England, We Swear!...Just Don't Look Too Closely Please" Planes?
Well, for unconventional settings in D&D games, you had
Dark Sun : Post apocalyptic fantasy, with savage elves, cannibal halflings, bald dwarves, and a neverending desert dotted by city states ruled by the sorcerer-kings who sucked the world dry.
Ravenloft : Gothic "Hammer era" horror mixed with D&D
Don't know if Spelljammer (space-fantasy, with magic-fueld starships) ever had a videogame

Dragonlance is more classic fantasy, although the context of a world war against dragonrider warlords makes it pretty distinct from the Forgotten Realms.

Edit : Ninja'ed by classicor. ^^ And he reminded me of Spelljammer, which I had forgotten
Post edited August 20, 2015 by Kardwill
Man, I would not like to be one of the people who had to wrangle the legal rights for these SSI D&D games. This is pretty fantastic though. Eye of the Beholder is a classic, the Gold Box games are classics and Menzoberranzan is... a video game. Here's hoping the Dark Sun games show up soon too!
Risingson: If you remove the nostalgia glasses you have one very good classic game in the SSI Gold Box, Pool of Radiance, and one really good at the Beholder trilogy, the second one. The first one was basically a fun Dungeon Master exploit with that wonderful Westwood touch at graphics, and the third one, made by a completely different team, was buggy and clunky as hell, a very different experience from the sweetly designed EOB2.

Dungeon Hack was just a pretty roguelike. Menzoberranzan was not interesting even at release date.

Enjoy your nostalgia trip.
I agree with the characterizations you've given, but Curse and Gateway were also very good. Curse has an interesting story, an open world and a tactical component to it even into the batshit levels. Gateway compensates for a diminished tactical factor by being oh-shiny.
now that my life has slowed down a little and i can actually sit down and do things like stare at the gog page:

instabought!

thanks, gog. :)
dick1982: i'm sure these games were a big deal back then, but i'm not interested. don't have the patience for them thesedays.

tried EotB 1(i think) many years back because some peeps said it was like Ulima Underworld... it wasn't. died real fast, control keys were wtf, and enemies attack in real time while i have to manage a team? fuck that. i barely beat lands of lore 1 , a couple of years ago,and that game seriously pissed me off in many ways. EotB series is supposedly guilty of the same problems these goldbox clones had, and more.
CarrionCrow: Did you ever get to the spiders? They were wonderful in that "I'm going to destroy this computer with my anger" sorta way.
nope. ragequit EotB real fast. unless you mean LoL.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=90SaC8myInE

i thought those were giant wasps.
Thank you GOG! :D
lostwolfe: this is not a bad problem to have :)

in case you don't want to give it out in public, could i ask for your youtube username, please, so i can check out your work?
DoctorPirx: Not at all: Same as my user name here. DoctorPirx. https://www.youtube.com/user/DoctorPirx
Commentaries are in German. ;)
went and had a look. awesome channel :)

and nice recommends. aulddragon is awesome :)
dick1982: nope. ragequit EotB real fast. unless you mean LoL.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=90SaC8myInE

i thought those were giant wasps.
Was thinking of the spiders in Eye of Beholder, and their lovely poison. Assholes.
May the GOG be with us!
YES!!!!! Legends reborn, Thank You GoG!!!

(now if only i could get amnesia so i can experience them for the first time-again)