It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Firmament – a new puzzle-adventure game by the legendary game studio behind the best-selling games Myst and Riven is now available on GOG with a -10% launch discount that lasts until May 25th, 5 PM UTC. Moreover, if you purchase Firmament (or The Keepers' Bundle) by May 25th, 5 PM UTC, you’ll receive Wanderlust: Travel Stories as a GIFT.

Alongside it you can also get its Digital Strategy Guide, Digital Art Book and Original Soundtrack – or just grab everything together with The Keepers' Bundle

Featuring deep storytelling and world-building, discover the story of this seemingly abandoned world as you explore and unlock the mysteries of 3 unique Realms… and beyond!

Pssst! And if exploration, puzzles and overall great adventures is what you crave, make sure to also check out our ongoing Point & Click sale with genre’s excellent titles up to -90% off.

Firmament invites you to explore the legendary deep world-building Cyan Worlds is known for, featuring a unique steampunk aesthetic. It’s a fantastic visual feast, with thrilling new sights to see around every corner. At the same time, the world of Firmament feels completely plausible; as though it were constructed with a bigger purpose in mind… A purpose you will be compelled to discover as you play.

As you explore, you carry a device called an “Adjunct”. This Adjunct is your interface as you interact with the various devices throughout the Realms of Firmament. Employing the Adjunct to solve the puzzles you encounter will bring you ever closer to unlocking the secrets this place holds.

And you are not entirely alone in Firmament. In addition to The Adjunct, you are joined by a mysterious apparition, who has a story of her own to share with you. As you explore you will be introduced to 3 Realms - each with secrets and mysteries to reveal. What purpose do the Realms serve? Can the spirit who accompanies you be trusted?

There’s so many things in Firmament to explore and mysteries to unravel. Immense amount of fun awaits you, check it out now!
Tarhiel: Because usually adventure games are not so demanding.
my name is catte: Well this is a real time 3D game (done in Unreal I think?), doesn't matter to the computer whether you're shooting people or solving puzzles. You're probably comparing it to pre-rendered adventure games. Obduction (their previous game) had similarly high requirements for the time it came out. The minimum requirements are pretty ridiculous here, I just don't think being an adventure game particularly makes a difference.
Even 3D game can be not so demanding - take for example Book of Unwritten Tales, which is very light on requirements, because they implemented lot of clever tricks in the background as you learn from the making of video, engine has nothing to do with it, it´s an optimization effort team puts into it and how well they can work with it.
But I get your point.
high rated
Zoidberg: Let me guess: hardcoded wasd for movement but compatible with VR again?
It certainly looks like it. Again. For those unaware, Cyan games seem to correctly mirror W/S onto Up/Down cursor keys but incorrectly mirror L/R cursor keys onto 'moving the mouse L/R' (instead of A/D) leaving left-handers (who often prefer cursor keys to WASD because that's where the natural right-hand placement lies with the mouse to the left of the keyboard) with two ways of looking left / right (one in each hand) and one way of looking up / down, but no way of actually moving left / right. This was on both Obduction and Myst (2021). One of the updates for Obduction that added VR compatibility was so badly broken that any attempt to use the usual trick of editing Unreal Engine's input.ini (for games lazy enough to not include an in-game key rebinding menu) completely broke all inputs of all devices. It's bewildering that modern +20GB games still cannot manage what 1980's 64kb games got right 40 years ago...
Attachments:
Post edited May 19, 2023 by AB2012
I am always complaining about Unity. But, my god, if those are the standard "minimum" requirements for Unreal I should revise my thinkings about it. Obduction and Myst reqs already scared me :D

Basically the minimum requirements are the best brand new computer in every sense you can build. Nothing less, nothing more

I have not doubts about que overall quality of this game as an amazing first person adventure. But a lot about the will in optimizing it.
Zoidberg: Let me guess: hardcoded wasd for movement but compatible with VR again?
Yup. Same old "we hate left-handers" thing as Obduction. After the 3rd game in a row with broken Left / Right cursor keys + no key-rebinding at all (in-game or config files), still no working subtitles + original FMV combination in Myst (after 5x attempts over 30 years) + poor optimisation in general in the last 2 games, Cyan are wildly overrated. Right now on 'the other store', Firmament's review scores have already fallen to "Mixed" due to being almost unplayably buggy in general (broken crane puzzle, stuck in the first elevator, broken autosaves, broken VR, etc). It's quite the eye-opener that first attempts like Quern Undying Thoughts by virtually unknown devs make far better polished "New Myst" games than the official Myst team after 30 years of 'experience'. Here's hoping GOG manage to get Riven-like Neyyah (and unlike Cyan games, it'll actually be playable by left-handers / disabled gamers...)
Post edited May 19, 2023 by BrianSim
Please implement achievements on GOG.
Yes, and you will still complain about them instead of using existing workarounds. Just like the last time you and I had this conversation regarding Obduction.
high rated
DDDespair: Yes, and you will still complain about them instead of using existing workarounds. Just like the last time you and I had this conversation regarding Obduction.
As well he should. "Just use AutoHotKey" is an excuse not a solution (and even then it didn't work reliably in Obduction). When 99% of the work to add key-rebindings has already been done by Epic Games (Unreal Engine developers) and all the Cyan devs need to do is add a simple "entry point" in the main menu (for which coding templates exist and can even be reused within the same engine), and Cyan still can't be bothered, it's pure unrefined laziness to not do so and absolutely deserves to be called out as such.

Here's a healthy visual reminder of how absurd hard-coding first-person movement to WASD with no ability to rebind is once you step outside the QWERTY bubble. You know what is consistent between keyboard layouts? The same cursor keys that Cyan seem utterly incompetent of setting up normal A/D = move left/right keybinds for the 3rd game in a row...
Attachments:
azerty.jpg (364 Kb)
Post edited May 20, 2023 by ListyG
I'll start with Wanderlust: Transsiberian.
DDDespair: Yes, and you will still complain about them instead of using existing workarounds. Just like the last time you and I had this conversation regarding Obduction.
ListyG: As well he should. "Just use AutoHotKey" is an excuse not a solution (and even then it didn't work reliably in Obduction). When 99% of the work to add key-rebindings has already been done by Epic Games (Unreal Engine developers) and all the Cyan devs need to do is add a simple "entry point" in the main menu (for which coding templates exist and can even be reused within the same engine), and Cyan still can't be bothered, it's pure unrefined laziness to not do so and absolutely deserves to be called out as such.

Here's a healthy visual reminder of how absurd hard-coding first-person movement to WASD with no ability to rebind is once you step outside the QWERTY bubble. You know what is consistent between keyboard layouts? The same cursor keys that Cyan seem utterly incompetent of setting up normal A/D = move left/right keybinds for the 3rd game in a row...
Since you're like 5 years late to this conversation - when he first complained, I genuinely tried to help him, proposing multiple solutions based on what was available at the time, and urging him to contact Cyan's support directly to ask them to make the settings customizable. He instead threw a fit and would rather not play the game at all than jump through a few hoops to at least play the game the way he would like. For the record, I myself am a lefty, and I never had any problems. You typically have to jump through a few hoops to get old games working on newer hardware anyway. I realize that's not ideal for a "newer" game, but it is what it is, and I would rather play the game than spend my time whining about it.

Edit: May as well add the support link https://support.cyan.com/
maybe if everybody complains all at once they'll actually do something about it
Post edited May 20, 2023 by DDDespair
Remains to be seen whether it can do as well in sales as Myst so let's see.