It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Play an oriental horror puzzle game where the story takes place in a remote mountain village. Firework is now available on GOG along with a 20% discount that will last until 21st December 2021, 7 AM UTC.

Share our love for games? Subscribe to our newsletter for news, releases, and exclusive discounts. Visit the “Privacy & settings” section of your GOG account to join now!
low rated
FalloutDefault: Oriental is considered a negative term in the US (and the UK I think) because of historical reasons.
just the internet we live in.
Certainly not in the UK. Here's my local "chinese supermarket": [url=https://www.google.com/maps/place/PCY+Oriental/@55.9671055,-3.1744809,3a,75y,90t/data=!3m8!1e2!3m6!1sAF1QipPh7W_c_0gjcf-5RUH9bc8g89nEcq2X8xbIikbv!2e10!3e12!6shttps:%2F%2Flh5.googleusercontent.com%2Fp%2FAF1QipPh7W_c_0gjcf-5RUH9bc8g89nEcq2X8xbIikbv%3Dw114-h86-k-no!7i2016!8i1512!4m5!3m4!1s0x0:0x78ba97053a2e1f1b!8m2!3d55.9671055!4d-3.1744809]PCY Oriental Food[/url] (I hope that links properly, but if not the sign says "PCY Oriental Food").

EDIT: the link works if you select the URL manually, right click and "Go to..."

In fact, I'd consider it more offensive to assume anyone of "oriental appearance" is Chinese. (Again, "oriental" is just a generic term if we're uncertain of precise origin, though I might be brave and hazard a guess if I think someone is Japanese or Korean). Also, in the UK, "Asian" is used to refer to people from the Indian sub-continent (presumably because we're more familiar with them from our old "empire", whereas American railroads were largely built by migrant workers from China (and other "far east" countries?), so those were presumably historically the most familiar people from Asia. Both uses of "Asian" are equally inappropriate, of course, given the vast range of ethnicities in that huge continent.

I believe PCY Oriental is run by immigrants from somewhere in the "far east", and I can get Chinese, Japanese, Korean, Thai ingredients, etc; also a few "Indian" things (though the main stores for things from the Indian sub-continent identify separately; we have a large Bangladeshi population, and many "Indian" restaurants are in fact run by Bangladeshi immigrants, but most people here aren't aware of that).

As someone already pointed out, "The Orient" used to refer to "the middle east" (see "Oriental Express"), but is now exclusively used to describe "the far east". Everything's relative, of course.

I'm a firm believer in words meaning what you intend them to mean, rather than being inherently sensitive (but clarification may be needed in cross-cultural conversations). But unnecessary ignorance often does offend (such as when people from the US refer to me as "English" and my country as "England"; it's the UK or Scotland, and I'm a Scot or a Brit, thank you very much!).

Different cultures obviously have different standards. Here in Scotland, unless we're trying to be especially politically correct or in the company of someone who might take it wrong, we might say "I could murder a chinkie" (similar to saying "I could demolish a curry" in other parts of the UK). Though that word is clearly offensive in many contexts, in this use it's pretty much an expression of excitement and anticipation of satisfying our hunger and enjoying one our favourite foods from a culture we often admire, and definitely in good humour!

EDIT: here's an amusing old TV advert to illustrate the usage: Tennent's Lager. Murder one tonight
Post edited December 14, 2021 by mvscot
low rated
mvscot: -snip-
No, you're clearly from the Island of Sodor. I can tell from your accent and affinity for sentient steam locomotives.

I don't take umbrage with the term, but rather that I find it about as precise a term as a drunkard with a longbow;
These weren't encouraged in the city, since the heft and throw of a longbow's arrow could send it through an innocent bystander a hundred yards away instead of the innocent bystander at whom it was aimed.
- Sir Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
low rated
fronzelneekburm: TheEndedSkull deboonked my bullshit with a single google search. You're trying to deboonk my bullshit by burying it underneath your bullshit. Shamefur dispray!
Lol
low rated
InkPanther: Ok, I can understand the controversy regarding the term "oriental". However, the copy both on Steam and GOG uses it, so maybe it's not GOG's fault this time.
fronzelneekburm: Not really, tho. See attachment.

Far be it from me to read meaning into what might be a perfectly innocuous change to the game page copy, but for the sake of argument, let's do just that: gog - forever the mealy-mouthed weak-kneed yellow bellies - were perfectly aware that advertising this as a Chinese game would not go over well with a large part of their user base. So they deliberately changed that part of the description to obscure the game's origin in an effort to not have Winnie-memes pop up in the release thread 2 posts in. Which, miraculously, seems to have worked so far.
As a Chinese, please ******* and stop your *******.

Everyone knows "oriental" is Chinese. I'm not offended and both the ****** need to ****** and let the subject people decide if it's offensive or not. I don't like being called "orientals", but if you wanna describe a physical object like a game as oriental, go right ******* ahead.

[Modded by Sarafan]
Post edited December 20, 2021 by Sarafan
low rated
Darvond: I don't take umbrage with the term, but rather that I find it about as precise a term as a drunkard with a longbow;
It's precise when used correctly to refer to just the set of countries or ethnicities it is understood to represent, but imprecise when used despite knowing the correct, more precise, ethnicity of an individual. It's better than using the wrong term (e.g. "Chinese" for a Korean or Vietnamese person). I will often ask for my ignorance to be excused if I have to use it in a vague sense, and will use a more precise identification when I'm aware of it, out of respect to someone's preferred identity.

Just like the terms "Scandinavian" or "British" have their uses to represent people from a specific group of related countries, but are also relatively vague.
low rated
Dogmaus: those limits are for online gmaing in China, I don't see how it would affect an offline solo adventure sales worldwide
GamezRanker: It's actually for ALL game playing.....so as a result there will likely be less sales on Gog/other game sites....well, from the segment of the chiinese population that follows said laws anyways.
ohoh how can you time-restrict offline gaming? XD I would not think someone could come up with something so stupid so I presumed it was just for something online.
It looks I unwillingly opened the dances for another spectacular GOG forum shit-show, go on with the downvotes, losers! I just noticed a couple of things and someone got really mad!
In the end, I was just curious why you would censor the word Chinese and remove the Chinese language from GOG, while selling it as a Chinese game with Chiense only on Steam XD

TheEndedSkull: So, amusing as a deliberate Devotion-related cover-up would be, I'm pretty sure this is genuinely just a case of GOG using the game's original description without any ulterior motives. If I'm not mistaken, the store page descriptions are handled by the dev/publisher, too, so chances are they just sent GOG the original one rather than the barely different current one.
chances are the devs can't speak or read any English and have no idea of what they have sent XD
As for Devotion, they don't look alike at all to me, except for being horror games.
Post edited December 15, 2021 by Dogmaus
low rated
A heartfelt *salute* to all the brave souls who post in this thread fully aware that the downvoot bot will get them!

BroscienceEngineer: As a Chinese
A bold claim to make on the internet! Do you have any proof of that? What makes you think you have the right to speak up on behalf of 1.5 billion people?
low rated
Dogmaus: ohoh how can you time-restrict offline gaming? XD I would not think someone could come up with something so stupid so I presumed it was just for something online.
The ones who enacted such policies just get the chiinese people to monitor each other(for things like amount of vidya game playing/etc), of course....that and various other forms of monitoring(electronic/etc).

And yeah, I agree....it is pretty stupid.

=-=-=-=

fronzelneekburm: A heartfelt *salute* to all the brave souls who post in this thread fully aware that the downvoot bot will get them!
I'd salute back, but me posting here isn't as stunning and brave as some others as I am already well down the negarep rabbit hole. :D
Post edited December 15, 2021 by GamezRanker
low rated
I made a search in an english dictionary to be sure and the commonly offensive english term should be "asiatic" not even "asian", but not stereotipe/offensive connotations known in words like "oriental or "eastern"

There is even a strategy game in GOG called "Oriental Empires" It should be pretty weird if the word oriental were offensive there.
Post edited December 15, 2021 by Gudadantza
low rated
InkPanther: Ok, I can understand the controversy regarding the term "oriental". However, the copy both on Steam and GOG uses it, so maybe it's not GOG's fault this time.
I'd even venture to say that it's copy provided by the developer/publisher itself. All in all, tempest in a teacup.
low rated
Wow, this place is chaos.

*Drag sofa inside the forum*

*Carry a boatload of popcorns*

Okay guys please continue. This is no 4chan board but people still punching each other in the face the same.
darktjm: This game makes a bad first impression with its badly broken English on the game page. It's in desperate need of a native English speaking editor. I imagine the game is the same way.
I took the plunge and got the game (98% positive review score on Steam, I figured the game must be doing something right even for someone like me who is not part of the target demographic and would probably be missing some context to enjoy the game more thoroughly).

I'll let you know when I get down to playing it (in a crunch atm, so might be early next year at the latest).
Post edited December 20, 2021 by Magnitus
low rated
Darvond: The gist being, someone from Laos isn't going to have the same culture as someone from Korea. "Oriental" makes the same broad strokes in English as assuming that everyone from Africa practices Voodoo.
Yeah, it is about as bad as "western", as there is really nothing in common culturally with e.g. people from Sweden and Texas.

Even "European" is quite disgusting as there is nothing in common with e.g. Italian and Finnish people.

In fact, even calling me "Finnish" is unforgivable because the people who live next door don't really have anything in common with me.
low rated
Dogmaus: Why they say oriental and not Chinese? It's like they are trying to cover up that it's a Chinese game -_-
Other weird thing, Steam has demo and Chinese only, GOG has English only.
Steam definition is "Firework is a Chinese horror puzzle game.". GOG definition is "Firework is an oriental horror puzzle game.". Weird marketing!
Maybe GOG believes our problem is with China, and not the Chinese Oppression regime.
FalloutDefault: Oriental is considered a negative term in the US (and the UK I think) because of historical reasons.

In Spain is the same as in Poland, "oriental" is just the neutral term to talk about that world region (basically anything east of Europe in old times but now mostly East Asia.)

But since we are using English to communicate, we have deal with their history on top of our own when we talk, but that's just the internet we live in.
Oriental is negative when referring to people. It is an appropriate reference to objects made in the Orient, like Oriental rugs or pottery.
Post edited December 20, 2021 by paladin181
low rated
paladin181: Maybe GOG believes our problem is with China, and not the Chinese Oppression regime.
Or they wanna act like thats the problem if it is in fact that sort of attempt .. As many don't have a racial or even anti-country mindset towards China and its people/race.. just the Oppression regime China has
paladin181: Maybe GOG believes our problem is with China, and not the Chinese Oppression regime.
Also a odd thing I noticed After China started limiting gaming on a grand scale it could just be me but it seems games that GOG was against soon after suddenly started flooding in .. in mass I wonder if that is linked or just a by chance scenario
Post edited December 20, 2021 by BanditKeith2