It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

"China" returned 8 posts
Clear search criteria
low rated
I think the fact Chinese and China are replaced by oriental is weirder.
Considering the game's plot seems to be explicitly based around Chinese history.

Of course, I and others could just be reading too much into it, but considering the past hooplaa, can you blame us.

Anyways, if you care about Steam reviews, seems like people enjoy it. AKA Overwhelmingly Positive on both recent and overall.
low rated
Dogmaus: Why they say oriental and not Chinese? It's like they are trying to cover up that it's a Chinese game -_-
GamezRanker: Don't see why they'd bother.....Chiina has put limits on citizen's gaming/etc, which means the average Chiinese citizen(those not "visiting the grand country of V-P-N") will likely buy/play less from Gog and other game stores.

-

The above aside, the game looks decent enough, so onto the wishlist for now.
those limits are for online gmaing in China, I don't see how it would affect an offline solo adventure sales worldwide
Dogmaus: Why they say oriental and not Chinese? It's like they are trying to cover up that it's a Chinese game -_-
Other weird thing, Steam has demo and Chinese only, GOG has English only.
Steam definition is "Firework is a Chinese horror puzzle game.". GOG definition is "Firework is an oriental horror puzzle game.". Weird marketing!
pkk234: Yea that is kinda weird. I'm still of the opinion that 'oriental' as a descriptor for anything slightly asian is hella old. Not even offensive imo, it's past that, like oh you old man still saying that. Although I dunno if it was considered super offensive ever, just wrong.

The discrepancy between the Steam and GOG descriptions is also interesting.
yep, it was weird for me as I was reading it as hanabi and wanted to know if this was a Japanese game and Japanese language was missing.
Post edited December 14, 2021 by Dogmaus
low rated
InkPanther: Ok, I can understand the controversy regarding the term "oriental". However, the copy both on Steam and GOG uses it, so maybe it's not GOG's fault this time.
Not really, tho. See attachment.

Far be it from me to read meaning into what might be a perfectly innocuous change to the game page copy, but for the sake of argument, let's do just that: gog - forever the mealy-mouthed weak-kneed yellow bellies - were perfectly aware that advertising this as a Chinese game would not go over well with a large part of their user base. So they deliberately changed that part of the description to obscure the game's origin in an effort to not have Winnie-memes pop up in the release thread 2 posts in. Which, miraculously, seems to have worked so far.

Which brings me to a whole 'nother can of worms I have with this release. It's almost as if somebody at gog said: "Welp, we sure screwed up that Devotion/Detention release last year, so that's no longer an option! So let's just give our users the next best thing: A Mainland Chinese-made paint-by-numbers Detention copycat. The Chinese have long had a reputation for cheap knock-offs, and in this case, the shoe seems to fit. I played the demo on Steam a while back and it seemed like an exact copy of Detention in terms of art direction and overall gameplay - only not good. Detention was just perfect - the demo of Firework was kinda like trying to eat one of those plastic food replicas the Japanese put in the storefront windows of their restaurants. It looks the same, but it tastes quite different. I don't want to dog on the work of the Firework dev too bad, because I only played the demo and there might still be a decent game underneath. But the initial impressions were underwhelming to say the least.

pkk234: Anyways, if you care about Steam reviews, seems like people enjoy it. AKA Overwhelmingly Positive on both recent and overall.
Again, even if the game turns out to be perfectly mediocre, the high rating could be easily explained: You're probably aware of the ruckus caused by Devotion. The dev's earlier game Detention was hugely popular in Mainland China - that was until the developer (who happens to be located in a wayward renegade Chinese island province) decided to put a Winnie meme in their next game, at which point Detention's rating dropped from >95% Overwhelmingly Positive into 70%ish territory and the developers were basically seen as traitors to their Mainland fanbase. So in a way, I see this game as little more than an attempt to duplicate Detention's success and popularity by creating a paint-by-numbers copycat, with similar art style, similar gameplay and none of the potential political bombshells.

Again, I haven't played the full game, so this may be an unfair assessment, but it is my initial impression.
Attachments:
oriental.jpg (84 Kb)
Post edited December 14, 2021 by fronzelneekburm
low rated
Darvond: Covering over BanditKeith2's terrible explanation,
I'd say it was a perfect explanation....even more so given the content of your own post, which seems to only prove their points.
As for the term Oriental: it's just a word, bruh......and if anything i'd say it's more -ist/etc to see dark connotations in mere words.

=-=-=

pkk234: Anyways, if you care about Steam reviews, seems like people enjoy it. AKA Overwhelmingly Positive on both recent and overall.
Good to hear :)

=-=-=

Dogmaus: those limits are for online gmaing in China, I don't see how it would affect an offline solo adventure sales worldwide
It's actually for ALL game playing.....so as a result there will likely be less sales on Gog/other game sites....well, from the segment of the chiinese population that follows said laws anyways.
Post edited December 14, 2021 by GamezRanker
low rated
FalloutDefault: Oriental is considered a negative term in the US (and the UK I think) because of historical reasons.
just the internet we live in.
Certainly not in the UK. Here's my local "chinese supermarket": [url=https://www.google.com/maps/place/PCY+Oriental/@55.9671055,-3.1744809,3a,75y,90t/data=!3m8!1e2!3m6!1sAF1QipPh7W_c_0gjcf-5RUH9bc8g89nEcq2X8xbIikbv!2e10!3e12!6shttps:%2F%2Flh5.googleusercontent.com%2Fp%2FAF1QipPh7W_c_0gjcf-5RUH9bc8g89nEcq2X8xbIikbv%3Dw114-h86-k-no!7i2016!8i1512!4m5!3m4!1s0x0:0x78ba97053a2e1f1b!8m2!3d55.9671055!4d-3.1744809]PCY Oriental Food[/url] (I hope that links properly, but if not the sign says "PCY Oriental Food").

EDIT: the link works if you select the URL manually, right click and "Go to..."

In fact, I'd consider it more offensive to assume anyone of "oriental appearance" is Chinese. (Again, "oriental" is just a generic term if we're uncertain of precise origin, though I might be brave and hazard a guess if I think someone is Japanese or Korean). Also, in the UK, "Asian" is used to refer to people from the Indian sub-continent (presumably because we're more familiar with them from our old "empire", whereas American railroads were largely built by migrant workers from China (and other "far east" countries?), so those were presumably historically the most familiar people from Asia. Both uses of "Asian" are equally inappropriate, of course, given the vast range of ethnicities in that huge continent.

I believe PCY Oriental is run by immigrants from somewhere in the "far east", and I can get Chinese, Japanese, Korean, Thai ingredients, etc; also a few "Indian" things (though the main stores for things from the Indian sub-continent identify separately; we have a large Bangladeshi population, and many "Indian" restaurants are in fact run by Bangladeshi immigrants, but most people here aren't aware of that).

As someone already pointed out, "The Orient" used to refer to "the middle east" (see "Oriental Express"), but is now exclusively used to describe "the far east". Everything's relative, of course.

I'm a firm believer in words meaning what you intend them to mean, rather than being inherently sensitive (but clarification may be needed in cross-cultural conversations). But unnecessary ignorance often does offend (such as when people from the US refer to me as "English" and my country as "England"; it's the UK or Scotland, and I'm a Scot or a Brit, thank you very much!).

Different cultures obviously have different standards. Here in Scotland, unless we're trying to be especially politically correct or in the company of someone who might take it wrong, we might say "I could murder a chinkie" (similar to saying "I could demolish a curry" in other parts of the UK). Though that word is clearly offensive in many contexts, in this use it's pretty much an expression of excitement and anticipation of satisfying our hunger and enjoying one our favourite foods from a culture we often admire, and definitely in good humour!

EDIT: here's an amusing old TV advert to illustrate the usage: Tennent's Lager. Murder one tonight
Post edited December 14, 2021 by mvscot
low rated
Dogmaus: those limits are for online gmaing in China, I don't see how it would affect an offline solo adventure sales worldwide
GamezRanker: It's actually for ALL game playing.....so as a result there will likely be less sales on Gog/other game sites....well, from the segment of the chiinese population that follows said laws anyways.
ohoh how can you time-restrict offline gaming? XD I would not think someone could come up with something so stupid so I presumed it was just for something online.
It looks I unwillingly opened the dances for another spectacular GOG forum shit-show, go on with the downvotes, losers! I just noticed a couple of things and someone got really mad!
In the end, I was just curious why you would censor the word Chinese and remove the Chinese language from GOG, while selling it as a Chinese game with Chiense only on Steam XD

TheEndedSkull: So, amusing as a deliberate Devotion-related cover-up would be, I'm pretty sure this is genuinely just a case of GOG using the game's original description without any ulterior motives. If I'm not mistaken, the store page descriptions are handled by the dev/publisher, too, so chances are they just sent GOG the original one rather than the barely different current one.
chances are the devs can't speak or read any English and have no idea of what they have sent XD
As for Devotion, they don't look alike at all to me, except for being horror games.
Post edited December 15, 2021 by Dogmaus
low rated
Other weird thing, Steam has demo and Chinese only, GOG has English only.
Steam definition is "Firework is a Chinese horror puzzle game.". GOG definition is "Firework is an oriental horror puzzle game.". Weird marketing!
Maybe GOG believes our problem is with China, and not the Chinese Oppression regime.
FalloutDefault: Oriental is considered a negative term in the US (and the UK I think) because of historical reasons.

In Spain is the same as in Poland, "oriental" is just the neutral term to talk about that world region (basically anything east of Europe in old times but now mostly East Asia.)

But since we are using English to communicate, we have deal with their history on top of our own when we talk, but that's just the internet we live in.
Oriental is negative when referring to people. It is an appropriate reference to objects made in the Orient, like Oriental rugs or pottery.
Post edited December 20, 2021 by paladin181
low rated
paladin181: Maybe GOG believes our problem is with China, and not the Chinese Oppression regime.
Or they wanna act like thats the problem if it is in fact that sort of attempt .. As many don't have a racial or even anti-country mindset towards China and its people/race.. just the Oppression regime China has
paladin181: Maybe GOG believes our problem is with China, and not the Chinese Oppression regime.
Also a odd thing I noticed After China started limiting gaming on a grand scale it could just be me but it seems games that GOG was against soon after suddenly started flooding in .. in mass I wonder if that is linked or just a by chance scenario
Post edited December 20, 2021 by BanditKeith2