It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

A true indie classic!

DROD 1+2+3, a classic indie (that's a thing!) puzzle/adventure/RPG trilogy with gameplay full of mind-boggling challenges, and a unforgettable male lead, is available on GOG.com, for only $9.99.

[url=http://www.gog.com/game/drod_1_2_3][/url]There's a notion that indie game development is a recent trend. Created by Erik Hermansen in 1997 DROD--or Deadly Rooms of Death--is a great example that it isn't so. Following mostly the adventures of Beethro, a hero who is mostly remembered for his extremely unlucky charisma rolls, the games combine clever puzzle game mechanics with top-down dungeon crawling. What this series lacks in visual department it more than makes up for in its huge amount of complex and challenging levels. DROD 1+2+3 contains King Dugan's Dungeon, Journey to Rooted Hold, The City Beneath--the three classic campaigns that will take you hours, and hours to solve.

Put on your thinking cap, prepare for some peculiar humor, and experience all that DROD 1+2+3 has to offer, for only $9.99 on GOG.com. That's only $3.33 per an amazing indie classic!
BillyMaysFan59: Today, even MORE games I never heard of before in my life! Which means they're just indies...

(mega-yawn)
So Thunderscape and Entomorph were just indies as well, eh? Just going by your ass-backwards logic here.

Nobody cares what you have and haven't heard of, in fact, why don't you take it as an opportunity to discover games you might actually like? Oh right. Because a game is only good if BillyMaysFan59 has heard of them. Yay logic!

edit:capitalization
Post edited January 21, 2014 by Shaolin_sKunk
PaterAlf: *snip*
But beware: The DROD games are a little harder than your average puzzle games and there is a big chance that you will never see the end, because you give up before.
Thanks for the heads up! Now i'm sure that the DROD games are not for me.
DROD: Architects' Edition is a free version of the game and a good way to see if this will be of interest to you before buying. The Architects' Edition was fun and based on that version I could recommend these games.

Doh. Just noticed that PaterAlf already said that above.
Post edited January 21, 2014 by cgarneth
Will DROD 4+5 arrive on GOG as well?
Funny, Drod 1 + 2 were the first games i got in an Indiegala Bundle...and i still haven't played them.
BillyMaysFan59: Today, even MORE games I never heard of before in my life! Which means they're just indies...

(mega-yawn)
Shaolin_sKunk: So Thunderscape and Entomorph were just indies as well, eh? Just going by your ass-backwards logic here.

Nobody cares what you have and haven't heard of, in fact, why don't you take it as an opportunity to discover games you might actually like? Oh right. Because a game is only good if BillyMaysFan59 has heard of them. Yay logic!

edit:capitalization
no, that's not what I meant. I do check out the games, and decide whether or not to buy them. Just to explain, I checked out Papers Please, which I never heard of (just like this one), and guess what? Now it's in my wishlist!

Sorry if you misunderstood. I'm not trying to troll, or be negative.
Post edited January 21, 2014 by BillyMaysFan59
BillyMaysFan59: Sorry if you misunderstood. I'm not trying to troll, or be negative.
Yeah, I was a bit too harsh as well, hadn't had my coffee yet. No hard feelings it was just a little annoying seeing basically the same comment across three news threads.
I think I spent around 10 hours or so with these games on Linux when they first came for Linux in the 2000s (noughties) at some point. HappyPenguin led me to them.

Interesting ideas, but I'm hard to please regarding puzzle games, and it ultimately wasn't for me.
Post edited January 21, 2014 by jsjrodman
I could swear DROD1 is freeware.

I'd tried it. I found it immeasurably unfun on the difficulty after just long enough that I felt bad giving up.

EDIT: Someone already mentioned Architect's Edition, which is what I had in mind.
Post edited January 21, 2014 by mqstout
i would like the release ratio of indies games to old games on gog be inverse
Post edited January 21, 2014 by flanner
flanner: i would like the release ratio of indies games to old games on gog be inverse
This game is BOTH old *and* indie.
Will have to check out the demo/free version. The games must have quite a following - looking at the developer's site, he made a franchise out of it. Impressive.
flanner: i would like the release ratio of indies games to old games on gog be inverse
At some point you'll have to invert time for that.
I think the request is that the ratio of old games to indie games be the same as the inverse ratio, that of indie games to old games. I believe the only solution here is a 1:1 ratio (or equivalent). Or possibly 0:0 but I don't want to contemplate that.
Post edited January 21, 2014 by jsjrodman
I just tried the demo to part way through level 3, and it seems like a fairly nice puzzle game. (I didn't really see anything RPG-ish, but maybe that comes in later levels?) A couple of nits I'd pick:

* I would have liked a bit more description of some of the game mechanics (I won't say which as it could be considered a spoiler) before having to solve a puzzle leveraging those game mechanics. Most are described in advance, but a small portion either aren't or are explained inadequately. If you get stuck (e.g., because said game mechanics are unknown/unclear to you) there is a sort of "solutions database" here. (Alternatively, just experiment and see if you can figure out the mechanics.)

* The lack of a "quick-travel" option that lets you skip over screens you've already cleared of baddies, especially for very busy (think complex maze with switches puzzle) screens. This comes up both in "exploration" (getting to rooms you haven't cleared yet) and getting to the level exit after you've cleared the level.

BTW, I believe GOG's gamecard has an error on it -- it says there are 25 levels and includes DROD 1, 2 and 3. However each of those games has 25 levels, so I think you get 75 levels (and somewhere on the order of 3*350 rooms) with this set. (The basic organization of the game, at least from what I've seen so far, is that most screens are self-contained puzzles.)