It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Sins of the father

<span class="bold">D: The Game</span>, a psychological horror adventure through dark family secrets, is available now for Windows, Mac, and Linux, DRM-free on GOG.com.

The halls of a big Los Angeles hospital are riddled with dead bodies, the gruesome work of a mass murderer. Several other innocent people have been taken hostages by the madman, who has barricaded himself inside. When Laura Harris, a scholar in San Francisco, finds out, she rushes to the hospital to investigate. Why? The man responsible for the bloodbath is the well-respected supervisor of the hospital and also her father.
Time is not on Laura's side, however, as she only has two hours to navigate the shifting realities of the hospital, overcome the challenges in her path, and try to solve the most sinister puzzle of all: the reason why her quiet father turned into this bloodthirsty monster.

Explore a hospital drenched in blood and discover the dark forces that guide your father's killing hand in <span class="bold">D: The Game</span>, DRM-free on GOG.com.
julianfisch: So, did anyone found a way to disable, or at least tweak the scanlines? That would make for a much more pleasant and better experience.
I don't think there is a way to disable them. Maybe using some DOSBox filter might make it less apparent, but no disabling.

It was quite common that for games which had both a Playstation and PC versions, the Playstation version would have better quality FMV (videos). I think Playstation used some kind of "M-JPEG" format with more colors, and especially DOS era games (like this) some quite low quality 256 color video (usually probably normal VGA, not sure if these scanline videos were similar.

You can see these also on other games like Final Fantasy 7, Legacy of Kain etc., PC FMV quality was worse (while in-game graphics in playable parts were usually better on PC). Final Fantasy 8 might be one of the rare Playstation era games where the FMV was actually higher quality on PC (same amount of colors I think, and higher resolution).
Post edited June 09, 2017 by timppu
julianfisch: So, did anyone found a way to disable, or at least tweak the scanlines? That would make for a much more pleasant and better experience.
timppu: I don't think there is a way to disable them. Maybe using some DOSBox filter might make it less apparent, but no disabling.

It was quite common that for games which had both a Playstation and PC versions, the Playstation version would have better quality FMV (videos). I think Playstation used some kind of "M-JPEG" format with more colors, and especially DOS era games (like this) some quite low quality 256 color video (usually probably normal VGA, not sure if these scanline videos were similar.

You can see these also on other games like Final Fantasy 7, Legacy of Kain etc., PC FMV quality was worse (while in-game graphics in playable parts were usually better on PC). Final Fantasy 8 might be one of the rare Playstation era games where the FMV was actually higher quality on PC (same amount of colors I think, and higher resolution).
Yeah, back in the day there was nothing (in an affordable way at least) quite like the PlayStation because it had this native, hardware based decompression for the M-JPEG format which was very efficient and if I'm not mistaken could be heavily compressed at a nice frame rate and quality while maintaining a 320x240 resolution. I used to have the first PC ports of both Final Fantasy VII and VIII so I do know exactly what you're talking about. The higher resolution FMVs in 8 looked amazing but I had a lot of audio skipping issues with them, also the crude MIDI soundtrack was way worse than the synth optimization approach used in 7. I guess having the best of both worlds at the time was just too much to ask for.

I'm not very informed about the workings and limitations of DOS, but maybe it was impossible for the system to play video files at a certain resolution and size. That could explain why all console versions of D look superior even though the Saturn lacked any video decompression capabilities.

Anyway, I guess I'll just need to get used to playing D with the exaggerated scanline filter. It's not so bad when I'm at a certain distance from the monitor. I feel for those who use glasses though.
Post edited June 09, 2017 by julianfisch