It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

No Gods or Kings or DRM.

Update: Classic versions of Bioshock and Bioshock 2 are now available. If you already own Bioshock Remastered or Bioshock 2 Remastered, you can download classic versions directly from your GOG library.

BioShock™ and BioShock 2™ Remastered are finally available DRM-free.

The legendary shooters emerge from somewhere beyond the sea, dripping with that deliciously claustrophobic atmosphere of decay, corruption, and human ambition gone wrong.
Widely considered as the gold standard for story-driven shooters with light RPG elements, they have been remastered to feature higher resolution textures and models, director's commentary, and several other additions that ensure time will never wash them away.
Pump yourself full of plasmids, pump your enemies full of bullets, and dive right back into Rapture's beautifully rotten halls.
MarkoH01: 1) Default setting when you FIRST start the game is gamepad=on so you have to turn it off using keyboard before the mouse pointer is even shown. This only happens when there's no config file present.

2) When you hack the first robot a tutorial screen is shown to tell you how hacking works. In German the "Umlaute" are shown in this screen as squares only. Of course this is a problem that is probably only present in the German text and not the English one.
1) Same here. But it's no big deal, thankfully.
2) I don't play non-originally German games in German ;-) So can't tell. Is the voice-over in German too? In that case Germans really miss out on the stellar performance of Armin Shimerman as Andrew Ryan. Just listening to his voice last night again after all these years gave me goosebumps... "Is a man not entitled to the sweat of his brow?..."
toxicTom: 1) Same here. But it's no big deal, thankfully.
Of course it's not luckily but on the other hand it also would have been an easy fix if the devs would have WANTED to fix it. ;)

toxicTom: 2) I don't play non-originally German games in German ;-) So can't tell. Is the voice-over in German too? In that case Germans really miss out on the stellar performance of Armin Shimerman as Andrew Ryan. Just listening to his voice last night again after all these years gave me goosebumps... "Is a man not entitled to the sweat of his brow?..."
Yes, I know which is why I did not even expect you to test it for me :) Thank you!
The German voice over is really good and you are hearing voices known from TV - don't ask me who is voicing who though.
Post edited December 19, 2018 by MarkoH01
Was 18 years old when Bioshock 1 first came out, just got an Xbox 360 to replace my old PC at the time.. and oh boy, I loved the game. Felt so unquie to me and very next-gen at the time

So glad to see it here on GOG, drm-free!!!

Especially because it will include the Original release.. I would NOT of bought Bioshock 1 & 2 on GOG had it not been for the fact they will give us the original games at a later date.

Bare that in mind, devs, publishers, and GOG! because I've seen unhappy customers before from releasing a remastered version and replacing the original.. Include BOTH releases, always!
Desmight: Bioshock is the current bestselling (not all time) game on GOG. I hope 2k gives that a look. There's a huge demand for good old games.
Indeed. Hopefully Bioshock Infinite will make it on here soon enough, along with any other games 2k publish/own
Post edited December 19, 2018 by KP1990
KP1990: Especially because it will include the Original release.. I would NOT of bought Bioshock 1 & 2 on GOG had it not been for the fact they will give us the original games at a later date.
Unfortunately that is SO unspecific that it frightens me a bit given the history of GOGs "soon" .... I bought it but now I am just waiting for my product to arrive. @GOG: please tell us as soon as you have an ETA for the classics.
KP1990: Especially because it will include the Original release.. I would NOT of bought Bioshock 1 & 2 on GOG had it not been for the fact they will give us the original games at a later date.
MarkoH01: Unfortunately that is SO unspecific that it frightens me a bit given the history of GOGs "soon" .... I bought it but now I am just waiting for my product to arrive. @GOG: please tell us as soon as you have an ETA for the classics.
Yeah that is concerning, I'll be disappointed if it ends up never happening or taking stupidly-long

I never did run into the save game issue or things like that on the Steam version of the Remaster, but I did notice some things like shadows being cut-off with the woman and the baby pram with the big shadow in the background, as well as some things not actually looking as good as they did in the original (although for most part it seems to be the better looking game)

Hopefully a lot of these issues have been fixed, the graphical uplift to the remaster was nice, but it's always nice to have the originals just incase! Also those out there with lower end specs would probably appreciate the originals too as it wouldn't be as demanding to run
Post edited December 19, 2018 by KP1990
KP1990: Bare that in mind, devs, publishers, and GOG! because I've seen unhappy customers before from releasing a remastered version and replacing the original.. Include BOTH releases, always!
This
So, can anyone explain please, what the difference is between originals and remasters? I haven't played any of them before.
Post edited December 19, 2018 by shmerl
shmerl: So, can anyone explain please, what the difference is between originals and remasters? I haven't played any of them before.
Some things (undoubtedly not all) are listed here https://bioshock.wikia.com/wiki/BioShock%3A_The_Collection#Changes_and_Additions

Also, in regard to the question you asked on whether the story was altered between the remasters and the original - it was not.
Post edited December 19, 2018 by TheMonkofDestiny
TheMonkofDestiny: Also, in regard to the question you asked on whether the story was altered between the remasters and the original - it was not.
I see, thanks. So changes look minor. Plus they probably improved windescreen support. So no reason to avoid the remaster I suppose.
shmerl: So, can anyone explain please, what the difference is between originals and remasters? I haven't played any of them before.
DX11 graphics, better textures here and there.... 4K support....
and extra playable content on the remastered version of Bioshock that is wasn't available in the original PC version: Challenge Rooms.

All features are detailed in the game description.
https://www.gog.com/game/bioshock_remastered

I played both versions of Bioshock on Linux; the original on regular wine, and the remastered via Proton.
And I can tell You that the remastered version runs better than the original due to DXVK.

*****************************************************************************************************

By the way, dear GOG, I just purchased Bioshock Remastered and Bioshock 2 Remastered for 1.99U$D each..BEST PRICE EVER! (due to regional pricing, of course.. Here, In Argentina, We need it)

I respect 2K they because they did with Bioshock Remastered what Deepsilver refused to do with the Metro Redux: You buy Bioshock Remastered and you get the original piece of gaming art for free... If you buy Metro Redux, You don't get the original piece of art.

Now, I am waiting for Bioshock Infinite and Borderlands... C'mon 2K, You can do it!
Digital_CHE: I played both versions of Bioshock on Linux; the original on regular wine, and the remastered via Proton.
And I can tell You that the remastered version runs better than the original due to DXVK.
I'm using Wine+dxvk now. It's quite good, except for initial stutter. Hopefully dxvk pipeline cache will accumulate eventually enough to prevent it.
Digital_CHE: and extra playable content on the remastered version of Bioshock that is wasn't available in the original PC version: Challenge Rooms.
dont forget NG+
Crisco1492: I'd have to download and check; I haven't done that with quite a few games as systemrequirementlabs.com has me as unable to run them. As for things I've tried myself, RiME was unplayable (started up, but ran at around 15-20 FPS before I stopped trying), and I had to pretty much nerf every visual effect in XCOM: The Bureau to get it to run smoothly.

Before anyone asks, RAM (16gb) and Processor (i7-8550U) are not a problem for most games. I always bottleneck on the video card.
f1e: It of course depends on what you want to get. If you want to have 60fps at max settings with 1080p then that's of course crosses out a lot of games. I personally am usually okay with 30fps at low settings and 720p.

I think the first thing you can safely reduce is screen resolution. 1080p is meant for 24 inch monitors, so calculate pixel density (PPI, pixel per inch) for this case as a baseline and see then what resolution gives you the same PPI on your laptop. For 24" monitor with 1080p it's 91.8 PPI, 720p on 15" laptop screen already gives you the higher 97.9 PPI, for 17" laptop 768p gives 91.9 PPI. For this reason I have no issues dropping to 720p on my 15". Here's a calculator if you're curious.

Also, I see here on gog they say both remasters require GTX 670 minimum while the official minimum for the same Odyssey is GTX 660, as is for say Far Cry 5. I haven't tried Odyssey but I had about 30 fps with very similar Origins, about 40 fps with Far Cry 5, and I don't remember exactly but definitely not less than 50 fps with Bioshock Remastered that I got here. For this reason I'd suggest you rather check on youtube than with stated system reqs, like bioshock remastered 940mx.
Thanks for this. It's working swimmingly at 720p, with all graphic settings turned on and my graphic card only reaching a maximum of 95-97% (temp 68-73 C). I've been super cautious with this laptop because I suspect my previous laptop (with a 950M) suffered its numerous problems as a result of running Fallout 4 and regularly hitting 94-97 C.
Damm it, I am weak...bought both of them....resisted for a few days!:-)
Crisco1492: Thanks for this. It's working swimmingly at 720p, with all graphic settings turned on and my graphic card only reaching a maximum of 95-97% (temp 68-73 C). I've been super cautious with this laptop because I suspect my previous laptop (with a 950M) suffered its numerous problems as a result of running Fallout 4 and regularly hitting 94-97 C.
Great to hear you got it working!

I am cautious about temps as well as it is a common problem with gaming laptops. Eventually I bought a cooling pad. When initially tested it reduced the temperatures by 10 to 15 degrees. With this Bioshock temp holds close to 60, though as my laptop is different I've got to check how much would it be without the pad. With it it also becomes possible to safely overclock the card with MSI Afterburner which provides some additional 3 to 6 fps on games that struggle to stay at 30. The cooling effect of course depends on the pad model and how open the bottom of your laptop to airflow. It is also noisy so headphones would be useful. May be something you might want consider at some point to squeeze more out of your laptop and prolong its usefulness.

UPD: Checked with Bioshock. It's 70 vs 56 degrees for the gpu, 70 vs 61 for the cpu.
Post edited December 20, 2018 by f1e