It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Honey, I shrank the soldiers.

<span class="bold">Army Men</span>, <span class="bold">Army Men II</span>, and <span class="bold">Army Men: Toys in Space</span>, the squad-based strategy games starring a handful of brave plastic commandos, are available now DRM-free, exclusively on GOG.com! Grab them all for a 44% series discount.

Look lively, you Green maggots! The despicable Tan soldiers are pushing us out of our own territory. We need to shape up and reclaim the regions that are rightfully ours before these bastards and their filthy allies conquer the entire toy box! Or worse: the kitchen!

You heard the Sarge: Gain control of his heroic squad of toy soldiers and shoot, melt, or blow up your devious opponents with your handheld weapons, unstoppable tanks, or surgical airstrikes. The top-down perspective gives you a tactical view of the battlefield and the plastic brutality that ensues when the toy combatants meet. After engaging in WW2-style combat, the Army Men will go on to meet Toys in Space, gaining access to more advanced technology and facing the sinister alien toys that have come to wreak havoc on our unsuspecting bathroom floors and peaceful backyards!

Take the <span class="bold">Army Men</span>, <span class="bold">Army Men II</span>, and <span class="bold">Toys in Space</span> out of their box and let them at their evil plastic enemies, DRM-free on GOG.com.
The 44% series discount for getting all three games is permanent.

NOTE: The games are still awaiting age ratings from certain official agencies, hence the publisher is unable to legally offer them to users in the respective regions, due to local laws. As soon as the games receive their ratings in your region, they will become available for purchase.
I bought the bundle. I recall hearing about these games, I figured they are some kind of strategy games (and quite often I probably mixed them up with the Commandos series for some reason).

I'm interested to try these out, apparently there were lots of these Army Men games released over the years, maybe that is why I never bought them as I didn't know what I should get.

I'm a bit surprised though many seem to think these are rather poor games? Since I heard so much about them, I figured they must be quite good. Oh well.
Post edited September 09, 2016 by timppu
CharlesGrey: "NOTE: The games are still awaiting age ratings from certain official agencies, hence the publisher is unable to legally offer them to users in the respective regions (including Brazil), due to local laws. As soon as the games receive their ratings in your region, they will become available for purchase."

This is some new feature, to celebrate GOG's Brazilian localization of their store, right?

Aren't you grateful?
It'll come. I'm patient (kinda ;P)
GOG wouldn't tease me like this, amirite GOG?

Am... I...? :P
timppu: I bought the bundle
I'm waiting, GOG, I'm waiting!
Post edited September 09, 2016 by vicklemos
CharlesGrey: This is some new feature, to celebrate GOG's Brazilian localization of their store, right?

Aren't you grateful?
Anamon: Unlike most other countries, South Africa and Brasil do not allow digital distribution of games if they haven't been rated. I don't know how GOG handled this before, or if maybe they just haven't been affected by the laws so far because none of the games they released hadn't been previously rated (although I find that kind of hard to believe).

All of those being outraged aobut GOG now starting the regional restriction thing, should consider that the choice was probably between not selling the games in certain regions, or not adding them to the catalogue at all. GOG's idealism, unfortunately, doesn't trump local law.
If that was the case then 95% of the Steam games should NOT be sold in my country since they have no age rating on them at all. So if SA stopped it because of rating then 95% of games should not be available to me. We have the FPB in our country that supposedly does the age rating (they are just here to charge money for licensing etc, they do absolutely fuck all for us), I have only seen a handfull of games displaying their logo on Steam and rated for me. 95% of the other game i buy on Steam have no age ratings displayed and yet i can still buy it.

Anyway, how will they even monitor this, how will they be able to control this. There is no way to know i am now buying a game, if i am behind a VPN even more so for them not to know. This is just rediculous and part of this whole scheme in the world to CONTROL people and get rich from it.
Show me how this stops a 8 year old playing a 18 year old game. No way for them to control this.

They cannot even stop drugs, drug dealers etc which is physical in ALL the countries in the world, how will they stop digital and internet.
Post edited September 09, 2016 by lonewolfgk
GOG, I love you with all my heart. I played all of the Army Men games when I was a wee lad. This release makes me so happy. As soon as I get paid I'm snagging all three! Thank you!
timppu: I bought the bundle. I recall hearing about these games, I figured they are some kind of strategy games (and quite often I probably mixed them up with the Commandos series for some reason).

I'm interested to try these out, apparently there were lots of these Army Men games released over the years, maybe that is why I never bought them as I didn't know what I should get.

I'm a bit surprised though many seem to think these are rather poor games? Since I heard so much about them, I figured they must be quite good. Oh well.
I always thought the games were pretty good, but it's been years since I've played them and there's a lot of nostalgia attached to them. I never knew people thought they were bad, though.

As for the gameplay, I would compare the first game more to Crusader: No Remorse. The second game and Toys in Space play more like strategy games, but on a fairly small scale. I also remember Toys in Space being much more difficult than two, which is saying something.
tremere110: They seem to be listed as single player, but I remember multiplayer was included back in the day. Am I wrong?
JudasIscariot: We tried to make it work but, no, there's no multi in these games.
Not even against computer opponents?
haydenaurion: I'd just recently voted for these in the wishlist out of curiosity. I remember the series having a bad rep back in the day and wanted to see for myself what was so bad about them. Anyone have any input on this?
The strategy games were held in a good standard back then as I remember PC game Mags
giving them ratings in the 70% range. The 3d 3rd person shooters however were hated by
the reviewers at EGM and never got more then 5.0 average on their ratings. I don't know
about the RTS or the EA Strike Clone games, but the Strike Clones seemed to be good
games yet not anything awesome.

JudasIscariot: Nothing there to make a soundtrack out of.
F4LL0UT: How do you mean? The publisher didn't supply you with higher quality versions than the ones included with the games? I'm just a bit confused because I used to listen to the Army Men soundtracks in a media player back in the day after I found them unpacked in the games' subfolders (although they are admittedly of shoddy quality).
I don't know much about the soundtrack for these games, but they may have been licensed for
use. Although Classical Music is public domain, that doesn't mean the recorded performances
for them are also. An example of this is found in Return Fire 1 & 2. They both use classical
music for their soundtrack (with RT2 having new tracks for the new vehicles), but they used
copyrighted performances owned by Angel Records Label of EMI Classics Records. Every time
one of these tracks from RT has been put on Youtube, they have been eventually taken down by
EMI for copyright violation. However, every rendition of these Classical Pieces in RT are
fantastically done and my favorite track of RT is "In the Hall of the Mountain King" performed by
the Sir John Barbirolli/Halle Orchestra.

Splatsch: Seems very interesting, wishlisted for now :)

... 16+/PG ? Wow... so much violence in videogames nowadays !
Why does a game featuring plastic toy gets a 16+ rating? Who is responsible for this BS?
Indygo: Although Classical Music is public domain, that doesn't mean the recorded performances
for them are also. An example of this is found in Return Fire 1 & 2. They both use classical
music for their soundtrack (with RT2 having new tracks for the new vehicles), but they used
copyrighted performances owned by Angel Records Label of EMI Classics Records.
All the classical music renditions in Army Men II are original as far as I can tell. Unlike Return Fire it doesn't use live orchestra recordings but rather pretty cheap-sounding virtual instruments.
Indygo: Why does a game featuring plastic toy gets a 16+ rating? Who is responsible for this BS?
I don't know, and I would be curious to know too ;)
Holy crap, yes, yes, a thousand times yes! Been waiting for this series to arrive on GOG since the beginning!
This has made my whole week. The Army Men games were what first got me into gaming at the age of 4. I've spent countless hours playing Army Men II over the years, and it remains one of my all time favorite games. I'm super excited to finally be able to play them on my modern PC without having to track down the disc I've repeatedly lost or fight with Windows to get the compatability settings right. Thank you so much for getting these games out there again. You've reunited me with my lost love.
So I was searching for info on these games since I did not remember them, and came across this funny very negative review for the 3rd.

https://web.archive.org/web/20080209233515/http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=2734
Post edited September 10, 2016 by qwixter
enterprise2004: I played all of the Army Men games when I was a wee lad.
All? ALL??? AAAAAAAALLLLL?!?!?!!!?!

http://www.mobygames.com/game-group/army-men-universe
Hopefully this 2K-release is foreshadowing that we´ll get the Bioshock-Collection on Friday...
maz.588: It's just my opinion. It should have been released as one game collection at $10. Like the SSI D&D releases. Unbundling them for $6 each seems cheap to me.

And while I got your attention, any news on XWA in french ? I can resend the links if needed.
JudasIscariot: Again, you can buy them all at once for $9.99 if you buy them as a series :) May I ask what is the functional difference, in your opinion, to buying the games in a series or buying them in a collection like the D&D games? Please do keep in mind the 44% discount is rather permanent :)

As for XWA FR, still waiting for it to be done, unfortunately, but it's not forgotten :)
Don´t worry, I don´t get it as well. But maybe some just enjoy to complain...
Post edited September 10, 2016 by RadonGOG
I hear a lot of people asking for Sarge's heroes. Isn't that one without saves? I own that War Chest but I'm too tired to go figure out what is what. :P