It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

You’re in for a treat – we have some fun titles from HeartCoreDev! Synthetic Lover and The Symbiant are coming to GOG with amazing extras!

Synthetic Lover is a LGBTQ+ visual novel that takes place in 2066. Biologically engineered humanoids called “biots” make up a large percentage of the workforce; as a protagonist, you take up the role of one of the boots who, like the rest of his colleagues, lives to serve a single purpose: to fulfill his pre-programmed vocation. It’s a story about an individual who discovers the challenges of being a human, and during his journey navigates through the ups and downs of an imperfect life – learning to understand emotions, forming friendships, and possibly finding love along the way. Apart from the base game, you can enjoy the universe even further: through an Official Choice Guide, Artbook and an Official Soundtrack. All Synthetic Lover titles launch with a -25% discount; the offer ends on February 3, 3 PM UTC.

The Symbiant is, as well a LGBTQ+ visual novel, similarly set in a futuristic universe, in the year 5066. It’s a story of two men from entirely different worlds, embracing their newfound romance – Danya, the protagonist, after a troubled transport gig that left his and his friend’s beloved ship in a need of repair, receives a generous offer of transporting a mysterious alien calling himself Brahve. It is a tale of interstellar friendship and a quickly growing affection between two men. You can find even more content in a few extra titles: Game Choice & Achievement Guide, Artbook & CG Pack, and an Official Soundtrack. All The Symbiant titles launch with a -10% discount; the offer ends on February 3, 3 PM UTC.

If you still can’t decide, try out Synthetic Lover Demo and The Symbiant Demo!
lis: Yes, once.[...]
I haven't called you anything. The only thing I said in this thread is that everyone here should be old enough to ignore these adult games. That's all. I also don't want these games to be removed because it is a form of censorship. There is also a huge difference between one post where someone says they don't like a game or 17 posts which caused an off-topic discussion which is one third of this thread.
Post edited February 03, 2023 by foad01
clarry: ...
I threw itch in as a bonus, since many games get dumped there and you can find pretty obscure stuff there sometimes. Glad that they state on storepage when a game has drm or requires 3rd party account/activation. Though I remember when itch began to operate, it was pretty much drm-free across the board, hence the mention.

Just saying that if you want to have everything under one roof, gog might not be the best roof for that, esp. if you are mostly into niche stuff. Otherwise you are limiting your selection heavily.

I don't think we will EVER see some VNs on gog that are not just nsfw but not safe for anything/anyone really. Pretty much hardcore stuff like from empress, etc. Completely sickening to the core and I have a rather strong stomach. Curation in this case is for the better, really.

From those VNs you mentioned I only recognise names like steinsgate, clannad and yu-no remake (saw those on steam). Don't have any of those, although I did try the original yu-no for pc-98 back in the day via emulation iirc. I was mostly into more mainstream stuff like Policenauts, Snatcher and similar games. Or VNs with some gameplay, like Nonary games / zero escape.

Reaper9988: Yes, doesn't mean it hurts for them(They are the publishers) to offer their stuff to a broader userbase(they're on steam too) and it doesn't hurt GoG to have a broader selection of titles.
If people stopped to think a second despite their righteous fury they would notice that GoG actually does curate as not every release is on here.(Which means for the most part it's double curated as Jast and such also don't translate every game).
They'd also notice that these games are basically already pushed of the front page and there is an actual Good Old Game there now too.
Hunaminty.....I tell you.
If only you took your own advice and thought a little before hastily replying to stuff not even directed at you. Yes, I'm well aware of gog's curation and difference in the selection of games between platforms/storefronts, as well as the 101s of marketing. I understand the heat of the moment and all that, but there's really no need to patronize me. Anyway, here have a Karl, a certain expert on hunaminty.
Attachments:
karl.png (438 Kb)
Post edited February 03, 2023 by Spectrum_Legacy
Spectrum_Legacy: Just saying that if you want to have everything under one roof, gog might not be the best roof for that, esp. if you are mostly into niche stuff. Otherwise you are limiting your selection heavily.
Of course. Probably the best single roof would be Steam. I keep avoiding them out of principle.

The others you mention are publishers who bring localized VNs to the western market. I wouldn't expect them to be selling an extensive selection of other competing publishers' releases so.. picking one would imply rejecting all the others :\ And in any case picking any one of them would already defeat the point of trying to stick under one roof after 8 years of buying almost exclusively on GOG (I've got 1350 games in my library..).

I still think GOG is the biggest non-Steam store that *could* host a decent selection of VNs across multiple publishers. And I hope they will.
I don't think we will EVER see some VNs on gog that are not just nsfw but not safe for anything/anyone really. Pretty much hardcore stuff like from empress, etc. Completely sickening to the core and I have a rather strong stomach. Curation in this case is for the better, really.
Generally speaking I prefer to curate for myself, with help from the community. Reviews, tags, gogmixes, endorsements and recommendations from the community, etc. should be all I need. Even if I agree there's stuff that's not "safe for anyone", the problem is where to draw the line.. and generally I don't like it when that line is drawn by someone who's also got the power to decide I can't buy that thing. Some image boards have an "extreme content" tag that's filtered by default but if you don't mind, you're free.

Someone would draw that line at Postal. As I recall, Steam drew that line at Amrilato.. what the fox?! I'm so glad GOG released it.

https://twitter.com/kouryuu_/status/1139692785714335744
clarry: ...
Spectrum_Legacy: I threw itch in as a bonus, since many games get dumped there and you can find pretty obscure stuff there sometimes. Glad that they state on storepage when a game has drm or requires 3rd party account/activation. Though I remember when itch began to operate, it was pretty much drm-free across the board, hence the mention.

Just saying that if you want to have everything under one roof, gog might not be the best roof for that, esp. if you are mostly into niche stuff. Otherwise you are limiting your selection heavily.

From those VNs you mentioned I only recognise names like steinsgate, clannad and yu-no remake (saw those on steam). Don't have any of those, although I did try the original yu-no for pc-98 back in the day via emulation iirc. I was mostly into more mainstream stuff like Policenauts, Snatcher and similar games. Or VNs with some gameplay, like Nonary games / zero escape.

Reaper9988: Yes, doesn't mean it hurts for them(They are the publishers) to offer their stuff to a broader userbase(they're on steam too) and it doesn't hurt GoG to have a broader selection of titles.
If people stopped to think a second despite their righteous fury they would notice that GoG actually does curate as not every release is on here.(Which means for the most part it's double curated as Jast and such also don't translate every game).
They'd also notice that these games are basically already pushed of the front page and there is an actual Good Old Game there now too.
Hunaminty.....I tell you.
Spectrum_Legacy: If only you took your own advice and thought a little before hastily replying to stuff not even directed at you. Yes, I'm well aware of gog's curation and difference in the selection of games between platforms/storefronts, as well as the 101s of marketing. I understand the heat of the moment and all that, but there's really no need to patronize me. Anyway, here have a Karl, a certain expert on hunaminty.
Ah I didn't think I came off patronizing, apologies that wasn't intended, that was also not directed specifically at you.
Post edited February 03, 2023 by Reaper9988
lis: As has been stated many times before, finding homo-erotic content on the front page of my favorite platform is my issue. i know it's not the first time and I do ignore those things 99,9999% of the time. Just wanted to voice my discontent for once.
I get that and what I've been saying in a not so nice way is that this simply can't be considered a valid criticism in my book and doesn't speak that well for you really.
Gay people exist, making a game for gay people possibly made by gay people is fair and square, not any kind of agenda, they didn't change say Duke Nukem to a naked guy saving pink haired homosexual.
I mean this is not even an adult game but an romance game(since I can see it without vpn even in censormany)
Gay people exist, they can make, have and buy games just as well as others.
I can see it in cases where they switch sexual preferences to pander, like say in Mass Effect 3 where they switched Kaidan to bi or my oh so beloved Beamdog diminished editions, I don't like pandering.
Still in the end I just ignore Beamdog(For multiple reasons, the character/style changing just one of them).
Ah gay romance game is just a romance game, and the characters can be good written or bad written just in the same way as it was if it was your average hetero romance.
You're really just hung up on the homosexual part.
lis: As has been stated many times before, finding homo-erotic content on the front page of my favorite platform is my issue. i know it's not the first time and I do ignore those things 99,9999% of the time. Just wanted to voice my discontent for once.
Reaper9988: I mean this is not even an adult game but an romance game(since I can see it without vpn even in censormany)
[..]
I keep wondering how they'd feel if everything was the same except without the "nsfw" & "sexual content" tags and no 18+ patch. Would they complain at all if it was just homo sans erotic?
Post edited February 03, 2023 by clarry
Please add advanced tag and games filter asap.
I want to continue to shuffle my money for your good service, but i don't want to see anything up front.

Thanks

A loyal customer.
lis: I think there are things we could agree on.

Apart from the fact that some games will probably never be on GOG due to licensing/exclusivity/price issues, I think GOG could do a lot more regarding their ports, compatibility with various devices, availability of previous versions of some games that got replaced with "remasters" that are not always appreciated etc.
clarry: Yup, I definitely agree on all of that.

Now if GOG is intent on showing their support for LGBQTI+ content they should take some notes from Steam's book and do it in a more sensible way.

There have been other cringe-worthy moments in CDPR/GOG's history and they should really look at how they're doing it if they don't want to alienate some (more) of their historical users.

Once again, Steam does all this in a much more sensible way.
clarry: As someone who's never used Steam: what's the key difference?
steam has almost 0 actual curation. for the most part, if you can make a game, you can /likely/ sell it.

about the sum of the curation is: "hey, keep your nft's off our platform."

yes. that means that if you can asset flip, you can likely make money on steam.

by comparison: gog has curation, but gog's curation is vague and kind of headscratchy, sometimes.
Reaper9988: I mean this is not even an adult game but an romance game(since I can see it without vpn even in censormany)
[..]
clarry: I keep wondering how they'd feel if everything was the same except without the "nsfw" & "sexual content" tags and no 18+ patch. Would they complain at all if it was just homo sans erotic?
I haven't seen the deleted posts but I think in this case it's the LGBT+/Homosexual part that is the trigger so yeah I believe it's irrelevant if it's an adult game or not.
As someone mentioned, in the other game where the tag was not as prominently shown there was hardly any discussion.

lostwolfe: by comparison: gog has curation, but gog's curation is vague and kind of headscratchy, sometimes.
Honestly, I think the only curation that is never head scratchy to me is my own.
Aside some objective asset flips and low efforts it's just so subjective.