It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Voxels of mass destruction

<span class="bold">8-Bit Armies</span>, a fast-paced RTS of blocky voxel mayhem, is now available DRM-free on GOG.com, with GOG Galaxy support for achievements and a 10% launch discount.

War is a ruthless, violent, messy affair. Unless it's done by small blocky men, riding blocky vehicles, and bleeding blocky blood. Then it's also great fun. Because intense voxel warfare requires resources, resourcefulness, and mean commanding skills. But whether you're leading your weird-looking dudes through the 25-mission campaign or against your best friends, figuring out how to take advantage of every situation is only half the fun. The other half is simply spreading chaos and watching the destructible environment and soldiers go boom.

Unleash your <span class="bold">8-Bit Armies</span> upon strategically placed voxels, DRM-free on GOG.com. If you can't get the game's electronic tunes out of your head, be sure to also grab the addictive <span class="bold">soundtrack</span>. The 10% launch discount on both the game and its OST will last until April 29, 4:59 PM UTC.
mechmouse: I too would love to see Grey Goo here, and have pestered the devs over this.
The dev explained in the subforum that the game is fully owned by Greybox so they can't do anything about its release here.
Splatsch: Concerning the single player side : how is it ? (I mean especially concerning AI and replayability) I'm never playing strategy games in multiplayer :P
Matewis: I tried a couple of missions beyond the first and it's actually quite a lot of fun. It's incredibly fast paced compared to C&C campaign I feel, but it works. There's no story or briefing (there's a short mission description) or anything like that, so it's just straight up quick paced rts action with tons of units.
Well it was meant to be a game that would bring people back to rts. Just a simple fun destruction game.
Post edited April 23, 2016 by Matruchus
Matruchus: Well there is quite a lot of replayability since every game mission has 3 unlockables that you can get by playing one mission depending on the level of difficulty. You can see how the campaign mission 2 looks in the attached picture.

If you win the mission in beginner level you get bronze star and unlock a building and unit. If you achieve second mission objective aka win with only active refinery the reward is one free refinery in next mission you play and you get silver star. If you achieve third objective you get 500 additional startup cash. In mission 3 it starts getting quite difficult since the enemy has his base built up and has defense positions everywhere. But regarding AI - it seems to be quite competent.
I had to try that one a few times to get the gold on hard :) Knowing crate positions beforehand helps, but I think crates are perhaps better turned off during multiplayer. They don't seem to spawn at random like in C&C.
Matewis: I had to try that one a few times to get the gold on hard :) Knowing crate positions beforehand helps, but I think crates are perhaps better turned off during multiplayer. They don't seem to spawn at random like in C&C.
Yeah its quite a challenging mission. No the crates seem to be prepositioned but that might change cause a lot of things are going to be adapted by devs depending on the user feedback.
mechmouse: I too would love to see Grey Goo here, and have pestered the devs over this.
Matruchus: The dev explained in the subforum that the game is fully owned by Greybox so they can't do anything about its release here.
It was GreyBox that I've been pestering.
mechmouse: Just fired it up.

Looked at co-op multiplayer. Sorry to who ever logged onto my hosted game, only to be booted a second later.

No option for private session. If you're wanting to play with someone sitting next to you, then you're going to have to get good at choreographed clicking.

I'm going to send some messages to the publisher to find out what their plans are.

Unlikely to ask for refund, since my son loves RTS games and this is just up his street. But will be woefully dissapointed if LAN isn't added later.
JudasIscariot: The developers are active in the game's subforum :)
Cheers! I'm posting up there too.
What? A new RTS game by Petroglyph? For less than ten bucks? Oh, I'm so getting this.

Admittedly I can't get rid of the feeling, though, that they should have rather spent the time fixing Grey Goo.
Ghorpm: Looks interesting bu I will wait to see if the devs add more factions and campaigns as a free update (I will buy it then) or paid dlc (I will not)
Same here. I think we should ask it on 8-bit Armies subforum. It seems developers are active & responsive there.
Graphics style looks present. The multiplayer mode could be lots of fun.
Co-Op campaign is hard as hell. First mission the AI killed me in 2.5 minutes :)
gamesfreak64: thank you :D me too... but my poor eyes were happy the pc made its way :D cause with better graphics and a keyboard my eyes were very greatfull, plus the arm wrecking stopped( to be replace by a mouse which gave me a sore elbow and pols, so i guess things went from bad to worse or maybe even to worst.
Maxvorstadt: Ever played Decathlon on the Atari 2600 console?
not on 2600 but i played it on c64 and wrecked my right arm :D
but in those days we were young so all the 'damged' limbs would be able to recover faster.
When the mouse came (started from the amiga period) it took a while to get used to it, games like OP Wulf and OP Thunderbolt were very hard , but once i got used to the mouse :D, hehehehe i got pretty good at it.

I bought Hostages on Amiga disc (2 discs) thats was a very tough game.
Lukin86: I love the game.Game made by the creators of the 1st command and conquer to fans of command and conquer. I advice to play fan of str with "base building". Especially that it is not expensive 15 euro.

Thank gog games are offered on their sites.
you mean the first one? the dos games of c&c (lateron win95 edition) ?
if so, imho i havent seen a game that can even stand in the shadow of c&c (classics of course the 3d versions sux imho.
imho 3d/fpp is great for cod and the likes, these are brilliant, most of the time also playable online with others.
Games like rts should stick to non 3d engines, cause imho all 3d units look the same and have no unique look, futhermore they always tend to be too shiny, everything looks kinda same in 3d vehicles used in rpg and rts games.
Anywa, i will always prefer the old bitmapped versions above the voxels/vectors or whatever they called these 3d looking objects.
This game, in my opinion, does look amazing. However it does also seem a little lackluster.

However, I rather wait until they implement a levle editor and modding tools. The things you could do with this...

Would love to see mechs and huge units as a mod already. Due to the simplistic nature of the artstyle, the possibilities are endless and it does seem that the animation part of the game engine is robost enough, at least from what I can tell from the promo video. I'm pretty such that with a project like this, the devs seem a bit more open minded.

Or at least I wait until I know that there are updates coming as promised.
Azhdar: Same here. I think we should ask it on 8-bit Armies subforum. It seems developers are active & responsive there.
I created a topic here where I ask clearly the question. Now waiting the official answer :)
Matruchus: Well there is quite a lot of replayability since every game mission has 3 unlockables that you can get by playing one mission depending on the level of difficulty. You can see how the campaign mission 2 looks in the attached picture.

If you win the mission in beginner level you get bronze star and unlock a building and unit. If you achieve second mission objective aka win with only active refinery the reward is -50 power usage for the refinery in next mission you play and you get silver star. If you achieve third objective you get 500 additional startup cash. In mission 3 it starts getting quite difficult since the enemy has his base built up and has defense positions everywhere. But regarding AI - it seems to be quite competent.
That's very informative ! Thanks a lot !

Matewis: I tried a couple of missions beyond the first and it's actually quite a lot of fun. It's incredibly fast paced compared to C&C campaign I feel, but it works. There's no story or briefing (there's a short mission description) or anything like that, so it's just straight up quick paced rts action with tons of units.
Thank you for sharing your experience ! It helps a lot too :)

That's very tempting, especially at this price. I'll wait to see the answer from Petroglyph concerning the upcoming factions before deciding.
Post edited April 23, 2016 by Splatsch
Splatsch: I created a topic here where I ask clearly the question. Now waiting the official answer :)
Thanks. :)
It looks like it's really a C&C game made of Legos! Nice! :)