It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

The famous video games company celebrates its 40th anniversary this month – this special occasion comes with a Publisher Sale on GOG.
Exemplary titles: Crysis Warhead® (-75%), Nox™ (-75%), Wing Commander™ 4: The Price of Freedom (-75%)
End date: 30th May 2022, 10 PM UTC
victorchopin: *coughs* armies of exigo *cough*
Plokite_Wolf: It's not theirs anymore. The IP was last seen in '07 at City Interactive.
Ouch ;(
Remember, EA goons are discussing about wanting to sale EA.
I say don't give them money and let the sales commence
Mirror's Edge: Catalyst and Mass Effect, please....a long shot, but one can dream.
I doubt EA ever removes Origin functionality to bring games like Dragon Age 3 here, but stuff from the DA2 and Dead Space 2 era that only had SecuROM (iirc) should be an option. GOG not being able to get them shows a real lack of interest from EA, sadly.
blotunga: Every EA sale we complain about lack of new EA releases. And yet nothing happens :)
tfishell: Delicious suffering. ;)
NuffCatnip: I don't think we'll get new titles, at least I stopped holding my breath some time ago.
New releases would be a nice surprise but I certainly don't expect EA to release something on gog (ever) again.

Some goes for most other AAA publishers, we might get the occasional 10 to 15 + year old triple A game, but nothing more I'd say. Occasional, as in 1 per year and even that is an exaggeration.
tfishell: We got a decent number of titles from AAA publishers (like Bethesda and Square Enix) the past few years compared to 2022 thus far. I wonder what changed. AAA pubs realizing GOG has a very small market share / doesn't make much money comparatively? Something to do with Cyberpunk2077? Not wanting to bother with DRM-free? A combination?

Oh well, at least GOG will survive without AAA games. Or if they don't, we'll have our DRM-free installers backed up.
Cyberpunk probably plays a role. If it had been the bomb (instead of just bombing), it would have carried GOG. Some publishers were possibly anticipating that, well, not anymore. Microsoft bought ZeniMax, Bethesda's parent company, which means Skyrim and Fallout 4 went from being wishful thinking to a complete pipe dream.

The debacle with Devotion didn't help..

IO Interactive tried to release Hitman 2016 last year, but kinda forgot about the DRM-free part, didn't release Hitman 2018 instead (and there's no reason to bother with 2016 if you have 2018) and at a price that was kinda insulting. I had a faint hope they'd try again to get it right after the EGS exclusivity of Hitman 2021 expired. Release Hitman 2021 with all DLC, 2016/2018 content, really no DRM this time, and don't charge many times the sale price of other platforms. Well, maybe that'll still happen.

From Square Enix we got pretty much only titles from former Eidos and mostly titles that were relatively successful (or in case of Sleeping Dogs, expected to do OK today) and somewhat older. We actually got most of those now I guess. Perhaps in time we'll see more as titles get older.
blotunga: Every EA sale we complain about lack of new EA releases. And yet nothing happens :)
NuffCatnip: I don't think we'll get new titles, at least I stopped holding my breath some time ago.
New releases would be a nice surprise but I certainly don't expect EA to release something on gog (ever) again.

Some goes for most other AAA publishers, we might get the occasional 10 to 15 + year old triple A game, but nothing more I'd say. Occasional, as in 1 per year and even that is an exaggeration.
tfishell: We got a decent number of titles from AAA publishers (like Bethesda and Square Enix) the past few years compared to 2022 thus far. I wonder what changed. AAA pubs realizing GOG has a very small market share / doesn't make much money comparatively? Something to do with Cyberpunk2077? Not wanting to bother with DRM-free? A combination?

Oh well, at least GOG will survive without AAA games. Or if they don't, we'll have our DRM-free installers backed up.
What 'bothers' me, they'd (the large publishers at least) rather give their games away for free on store fronts like the Epic Game Store, than remove the DRM. I don't see games like Dragon Age 2 come here or 'new' Ubisoft titles like Far Cry 3.

I think gog will survive for a while, but they'll became less and less 'important'.

We got a decent number of titles from AAA publishers (like Bethesda and Square Enix) the past few years compared to 2022 thus far. I wonder what changed. AAA pubs realizing GOG has a very small market share / doesn't make much money comparatively? Something to do with Cyberpunk2077? Not wanting to bother with DRM-free? A combination?

NuffCatnip: What 'bothers' me, they'd (the large publishers at least) rather give their games away for free on store fronts like the Epic Game Store, than remove the DRM. I don't see games like Dragon Age 2 come here or 'new' Ubisoft titles like Far Cry 3.

I think gog will survive for a while, but they'll became less and less 'important'.
They are willing to give games away for “free” because they have full control over the use of it. It is tied to a heavily DRM’d platform like Steam, Epic, uPlay etc. On top of that you have additional anti tamper software and anti cheat software, restricting the way you can use the product. They are just giving you a way to start and use it till they decide it’s enough and pull the plug client-side(product removal, account ban) or server-side… I don’t blame GOG on that regard. The whole industry is going in a client or cloud based path and DRM-free games are becoming a relict from not so long ago. Cheers
NuffCatnip: What 'bothers' me, they'd (the large publishers at least) rather give their games away for free on store fronts like the Epic Game Store, than remove the DRM. I don't see games like Dragon Age 2 come here or 'new' Ubisoft titles like Far Cry 3.

deja65: They are willing to give games away for “free” because they have full control over the use of it. It is tied to a heavily DRM’d platform like Steam, Epic, uPlay etc. On top of that you have additional anti tamper software and anti cheat software, restricting the way you can use the product. They are just giving you a way to start and use it till they decide it’s enough and pull the plug client-side(product removal, account ban) or server-side… I don’t blame GOG on that regard. The whole industry is going in a client or cloud based path and DRM-free games are becoming a relict from not so long ago. Cheers
Not completely true, there are enough DRM-free games on Steam and the Epic Game Store, Rise of the Tomb Raider, Death Stranding or Heavy Rain for example. Just a few examples of DRM-free titles on the Epic Game Store.
deja65: They are willing to give games away for “free” because they have full control over the use of it. It is tied to a heavily DRM’d platform like Steam, Epic, uPlay etc. On top of that you have additional anti tamper software and anti cheat software, restricting the way you can use the product. They are just giving you a way to start and use it till they decide it’s enough and pull the plug client-side(product removal, account ban) or server-side… I don’t blame GOG on that regard. The whole industry is going in a client or cloud based path and DRM-free games are becoming a relict from not so long ago. Cheers
NuffCatnip: Not completely true, there are enough DRM-free games on Steam and the Epic Game Store, Rise of the Tomb Raider, Death Stranding or Heavy Rain for example. Just a few examples of DRM-free titles on the Epic Game Store.
There are always exceptions of course. DRM'd stores offering DRM-free and DRM-free stores selling DRM'd(or at least poorly communicated) content. Cheers
W3irdN3rd: Cyberpunk probably plays a role. If it had been the bomb (instead of just bombing), it would have carried GOG. Some publishers were possibly anticipating that, well, not anymore. Microsoft bought ZeniMax, Bethesda's parent company, which means Skyrim and Fallout 4 went from being wishful thinking to a complete pipe dream.
I've heard that from user TheGrimLord too. CP2077 is the #1 bestseller of all time here, and it sold like 18+ million copies overall, but I guess CDPR's handling of it and all the bugs and whatnot keep publishers from wanting to associate with them and GOG now?

NuffCatnip: Not completely true, there are enough DRM-free games on Steam and the Epic Game Store, Rise of the Tomb Raider, Death Stranding or Heavy Rain for example. Just a few examples of DRM-free titles on the Epic Game Store.
Interesting. So they aren't scared of DRM-free for those titles. A period of timed exclusivity for those on EGS, then they might come to GOG? Or still won't bother with GOG?

NuffCatnip: ...
nooooo :P I may just have to bite the bullet and get the AAA games I want - which are pretty old anyway - on Steam.
Post edited May 24, 2022 by tfishell
Great sale, but I already own all the titles. We need more releases, EA!
This is nice and all, but I already own every EA game that I want to that GOG has.

How about The Sims Complete as in the compilation version of first game that came with all of its expansions. There's also SimEarth, SimLife, SimTower, SimPark and a bunch of others that I'm forgetting that are even older.
I would also like to see some other Medal of Honor games, like Airborne or the later iterations. But I think there won't come here.

Or the next installment(s) of Dead Space, Crysis series etc.

But what about older DOS games?

Like Fade to Black, Hi-Octane, Genewars, the first Command & Conquer, the Strike series (Jungle, Desert...), Darklight Conflict, CyberMage etc.