It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

high rated
Grand Theft Auto, Mafia, Alan Wake, Super Meat Boy's original OST, and too many other examples to easily search for have been delisted for purchase, either temporarily or permanently, or had their original release soundtrack altered as a result of music licensing expiring, often after 10 years.

Getting a legitimate drm-free source of Fallout 3 (and New Vegas, and Oblivion) on GOG has been an outright miracle, and while Fallout 3 is, I think, too popular to be gone forever, there's no guarantee that Bethesda wouldn't use a temporary delisting to forgo GOG in favor of their Bethesdanet platform, given their current predilection for remasters and microtransactions.

This is purely speculation on my part, but I'm getting nervous. I'm still kicking myself for missing the last Bethesda weekend sale to (re!)purchase Fallout 3 to get a drm-free copy. I've been waiting for the fall sale (to take advantage of the 'spend $xx and get this game for free' promotion GOG usually offers) but I'm concerned there might not be time for that.

Please GOG, reach out and find out if I need to bite the bullet and pay full price to buy the game again while I still can. (Or better yet, another sale or Connect, but I'm not greedy and Fallout 3 is easily worth full price twice over)

originally posted in 'Fallout Series' forum, re-posted here to reach a wider audience

edit: Unrelated: I can't seem to upload an avatar, the UI just spins and spins and spins without changing.
edit 2: Okay, this time the avatar uploaded just fine.
Post edited September 14, 2018 by LordData
thanks for the heads-up
Have you tried a smaller avatar?
LordData:
Thanks.

As for the avatar, file extension should be all lowercase I think. Try checking it.

Edit: Wait, wait, wait. Now that I've read it more carefully - isn't that all an old news? I mean, why start to be worried now if it all (the soundtrack changing business) happened some time ago? Those games are still around...
Post edited September 14, 2018 by InkPanther
Tcharr: Have you tried a smaller avatar?
I literally just downloaded the 'avatar' goodie from one of my games (System Shock 2, fwiw), it's a 150x150 file presumably made for this exact purpose!

edit: Well... it worked this morning after failing multiple times yesterday with the same file, on the same system/browser... how about that.
Post edited September 14, 2018 by LordData
InkPanther: Edit: Wait, wait, wait. Now that I've read it more carefully - isn't that all an old news? I mean, why start to be worried now if it all (the soundtrack changing business) happened some time ago? Those games are still around...
Alan Wake was pulled from sale at least in part because it incorporated licensed music whose limited license ran out. GTA: San Andreas had a number of songs pulled from its in-game soundtrack for the same reason (even for people who had purchased the game well before the licenses expired). Mafia II went away for a while, only to come back with a butchered soundtrack. And so on.
OP is worried the same will happen with Fallout 3. It's a valid worry. (Though I don't know how famous any of its licensed music was when Bethesda first licensed it, so they might have been able to afford to license it for a much longer period. Or they could probably afford to just pay to extend the license, given how profitable the series has presumably been for them.)
HunchBluntley:
I must admit that I'm numpty and I have no idea why I wrote that...
Ain't FO3s radio music all open license because of its ancient old age and its out-of-radio in-game music made by Beth itself anyway?
Anothername: Ain't FO3s radio music all open license because of its ancient old age and its out-of-radio in-game music made by Beth itself anyway?
Not that I'm aware of, the licensed radio music is originally from the '30's and '40's (though the specific recordings used may be more recent then that). US copyright lasts much longer than that (thanks, Mickey!) and if you watch the credits you'll see the tracks and the various companies that provided them "All Rights Reserved. Used By Permission."
Anothername: Ain't FO3s radio music all open license because of its ancient old age and its out-of-radio in-game music made by Beth itself anyway?
LordData: Not that I'm aware of, the licensed radio music is originally from the '30's and '40's (though the specific recordings used may be more recent then that). US copyright lasts much longer than that (thanks, Mickey!) and if you watch the credits you'll see the tracks and the various companies that provided them "All Rights Reserved. Used By Permission."
Oh, ok. Good to know. I think I have it secured. Kind of thrice including the disc versions. *sigh* There should be an overruling law that as soon as such greedy shit like that historic copyright law change is about to pass all involved get lifetime sentence without parole.
InkPanther: Edit: Wait, wait, wait. Now that I've read it more carefully - isn't that all an old news? I mean, why start to be worried now if it all (the soundtrack changing business) happened some time ago? Those games are still around...
HunchBluntley: Alan Wake was pulled from sale at least in part because it incorporated licensed music whose limited license ran out. GTA: San Andreas had a number of songs pulled from its in-game soundtrack for the same reason (even for people who had purchased the game well before the licenses expired). Mafia II went away for a while, only to come back with a butchered soundtrack. And so on.
OP is worried the same will happen with Fallout 3. It's a valid worry. (Though I don't know how famous any of its licensed music was when Bethesda first licensed it, so they might have been able to afford to license it for a much longer period. Or they could probably afford to just pay to extend the license, given how profitable the series has presumably been for them.)
Knowing Bethesda, I doubt they paid much for the licenses.

Also, at this point, I doubt anybody really wants to hear those songs ever again. It's a rather long game and the number of songs is pretty limited. You'll hear each song probably a few dozen times before being done with the game.

I'd rather see them remove the money and replace it with something that's free or extremely cheap.
HunchBluntley: Alan Wake was pulled from sale at least in part because it incorporated licensed music whose limited license ran out. GTA: San Andreas had a number of songs pulled from its in-game soundtrack for the same reason (even for people who had purchased the game well before the licenses expired). Mafia II went away for a while, only to come back with a butchered soundtrack. And so on.
hedwards: Knowing Bethesda, I doubt they paid much for the licenses.

Also, at this point, I doubt anybody really wants to hear those songs ever again. It's a rather long game and the number of songs is pretty limited. You'll hear each song probably a few dozen times before being done with the game.

I'd rather see them remove the money and replace it with something that's free or extremely cheap.
Better to just find the hook and play your own custom list. :)
hedwards: Knowing Bethesda, I doubt they paid much for the licenses.

Tcharr: Better to just find the hook and play your own custom list. :)
Yeah, I think that's really the only reasonable solution. The songs aren't particularly bad, it's just a playlist that's too short.

One of the unfortunate downsides to the ridiculously long copyright terms is that most of the songs that would be appropriate for this sort of thing remain protected long past the point where anybody can reasonably suggest their owed royalties.
LordData: given their current predilection for remasters
Bethesda Game Studios only remasterd Skyrim of their nine different original titles. (Then they did two VR versions of games but those aren't remasters.)
Then under the parent company Bethesda Softworks they have two other devs that did a single remaster out of their handful of games they have with the people behind Dishonered (made sense, game that came out late in the previous console cycle and the sequel has plot connections which new gamers wouldn't be able to experience because neither console supported BC at the time of the sequels release) and then Doom 3 (because who the fuck knows why, I guess to build up to the fourth game as BFG had all three first games).

I doubt Todd wants to remaster Fallout 3 and considering the nightmare of all their games in-game performance they'll just focus on making the new Fallout. They'll probably renew whatever licenses for the old games, I imagine they still make some sales here and there to warrant it.
LordData: Grand Theft Auto, Mafia, Alan Wake, Super Meat Boy's original OST, and too many other examples to easily search for have been delisted for purchase, either temporarily or permanently, or had their original release soundtrack altered as a result of music licensing expiring, often after 10 years.

Getting a legitimate drm-free source of Fallout 3 (and New Vegas, and Oblivion) on GOG has been an outright miracle, and while Fallout 3 is, I think, too popular to be gone forever, there's no guarantee that Bethesda wouldn't use a temporary delisting to forgo GOG in favor of their Bethesdanet platform, given their current predilection for remasters and microtransactions.

This is purely speculation on my part, but I'm getting nervous. I'm still kicking myself for missing the last Bethesda weekend sale to (re!)purchase Fallout 3 to get a drm-free copy. I've been waiting for the fall sale (to take advantage of the 'spend $xx and get this game for free' promotion GOG usually offers) but I'm concerned there might not be time for that.

Please GOG, reach out and find out if I need to bite the bullet and pay full price to buy the game again while I still can. (Or better yet, another sale or Connect, but I'm not greedy and Fallout 3 is easily worth full price twice over)

originally posted in 'Fallout Series' forum, re-posted here to reach a wider audience

edit: Unrelated: I can't seem to upload an avatar, the UI just spins and spins and spins without changing.
edit 2: Okay, this time the avatar uploaded just fine.
I got them all as soon as they got here: Fallout 3, Fallout: New Vegas and Oblivion. I would have gone without playing them otherwise but thanks to GOG, I get that chance. I really was waiting for them to get here. That was an amazing day here.

For San Andreas, I downgraded after finding the Stations were botched and that worked out rather well and perfectly.

This is a legitimate worry for many games that use licensed music, I might have to now look into the Mafia games I recently bought. Thank you for the information.