It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

YaTEdiGo: Yes, is a BIG argument when you need to take care of a COMMUNITY.
Oh no, that would be a big argument if you had actual numbers at your diposal. That about a dozen of people posted in a topic which focuses on moaning about changes on GOG means absolutely nothing for a store which has at least tens of thousands of customers.

YaTEdiGo: Are you pretty sure that GOG as a store never focused on that?
Quite, for some time they didn't even have a shelf display and then added it due to popular demand. Nonetheless, GOG didn't need a shelf display to get customers, and if the current shelf proves unpopular, I'm also pretty sure they can redesign it (not to mention they promised a bunch of skins being introduced eventually)
Post edited May 12, 2015 by Fenixp
YaTEdiGo: Yes, is a BIG argument when you need to take care of a COMMUNITY.
Fenixp: Oh no, that would be a big argument if you had actual numbers at your diposal. That about a dozen of people posted in a topic which focuses on moaning about changes on GOG means absolutely nothing for a store which has at least tens of thousands of customers.

YaTEdiGo: Are you pretty sure that GOG as a store never focused on that?
Fenixp: Quite, for some time they didn't even have a shelf display and then added it due to popular demand. Nonetheless, GOG didn't need a shelf display to get customers, and if the current shelf proves unpopular, I'm also pretty sure they can redesign it (not to mention they promised a bunch of skins being introduced eventually)
I wonder if you know how statistics work, but do not worry, time will tell. And I bet that most part of the people in this post have more games BY FAR than the ones that do not care about the ¨collection¨

Seriously, you look like you have friends on the team. So well informed and actually, so focused on damage control. (the repeated message about skins over and over is from CM basic rules book... C´MON seriously, you can do it better...)

Ehh no, I still think the same, and I am sorry, sales over for me for now. And you know what? Your arguments and your actitude been the drop that fills the glass...
Post edited May 12, 2015 by YaTEdiGo
YaTEdiGo: Seriously, you look like you have friends on the team. So well informed and actually, so focused on damage control.
... Rrrriiiiiiight. Sorry for not sharing your opinion, I'll butt out and stop trying to discuss things on discussion boards now.
high rated
Fenixp: Tags allow me to sort and organize my library better,
Good luck custom sorting the library using tags. Will take you ages to tag every game and then ages more to change tags when you will have to put a new game in the middle of the list. Oh, but wait, you can't even do that. Because there's no tag sorting.

Fenixp: proper paging allows me to finally manually control to which page do I want to go as opposed to hoping that scrolling will get me there (when I know a game is at the end of the list, all I need to do is to click the last page as opposed to wait for net to catch up while scrolling).
And how about trying to go through all the pages to see what exactly you have in your collection? Not so easy, huh? Lot more clicking and waiting for the page to load, all of a sudden?

Fenixp: And of course then there's order history which is useful for many other reasons.
Of which I see none that were worthy of butchering other completely unrelated functionality.

Fenixp: I'm here to purchase videogames to play - and if the new features help me sort and manage my library better, great. I prefer playing the games I have purchased to sitting and watching virtual shelf.
Well, good for you mate! But guess what, not everyone here treated their accounts just as an online backup for games they bought. Some, myself included, treated it as a collection, a virtual mancave full of boxed game if you will. Because pardon me for not having bloody time to "just play" everything I bought here because of my job and other s#it I have to deal with in my daily life. A good 80% of games I bought here were bought solely out of sentimental value as a collector's item, with no real intention to play them in any foreseable future. And I had good bloody time simply checking out my collection from time to time, with gog library page looking really neat and cozy with all those boxed on the shelves. And now not only it looks like p1ss, but the manual sorting order disappeared as well. And to be honest, there was no reason to rip out existing features and look just to add some "productivity" stuff like search or tags. Absolutely no bloody reason. But they did that anyway. Way to f#king go, gog!

So you know what, f#ck it then! If my virtual collection is now reduced to crappy-looking e-shop page, I cannot care less about buying more stuff I know I wouldn't play. I had a bloody good reason to do that before, I was paying for expanding my collection I enjoyed managing, resorting and simply scrolling through. But now, when it comes down to "pay for stuff you wouldn't use, ever" I might as well just stop buying anything here at all. I can buy an occasional DRM-free indie I really intended to play from Humble store. So if gog wants to f#ck up my virtual collection, well, up yours then gog.
Post edited May 12, 2015 by Siilk
It could be said louder, but not better. I subscribe this Australian guy words, one by one. (not the F words... but I can understand the rage)
I like the new shelf :). My eyes dont bleed and I dont feel stressed out. Probably too old or just not a "real" or "proper" "gogger" :(
l3l3l5l: I like the new shelf :). My eyes dont bleed and I dont feel stressed out. Probably too old or just not a "real" or "proper" "gogger" :(
But your nick is sexy.
high rated
I bought Metro: Last Light Redux and went straight to my library. First thing I thought that there was something wrong with my Internet connection. I reloaded the page several times, but that wouldn't change anything. I went to my wishlist and there was no yellow notebook sheet whatsoever. As I progressed to the forums, my eyes kept widening in disbelief... My inner perfectionist was cringing in the corner of my mind, arms wrapped around his knees.

I have recently became a GOG user, though have always known about this awesome platform. The only other time I got disappointed regarding it was when it was forced to remove Fallouts (would buy them again here). Manual sorting may seem a minor feature to bitch about its removal, but it's an unpleasant change which is directly connected to the launching of Galaxy. And what I liked most about GOG is that it's not Steam with all kinds of its bullshit.
low rated
real.geizterfahr: OH MY GOD, GOG'S GOING TO SHUT DOWN BECAUSE OF ALL THOSE LOST SALES!!!!

Seriously, people, calm down... It's just a shop that redesigned some digital boxes -.- I can understand if you refuse to "buy" a game because of a three times activation limit or always online DRM. But because of how your virtual shelf looks? Damn, you shouldn't get too emotionally involved with a virtual shelf! Seriously, see a doc about this!
YaTEdiGo: It´s named ¨criticism through consumerism¨ and it works, check what happened to the XBOX ONE vs the PS4.
this is the most hilarious post in this thread. sorry to break your bubble but what is happening in this thread is criticism by circlejerk: group of regular complainers who complain about everything gog does and how shit company this is on every occasion. so you would guess if gog is so bad they would leave, yes? but they remain on the website, buy more games and just spread "bleh this is shit" everywhere. just look at the high rated post from this thread from one vocal complainer:

"After all, I leave my money here. I plan to keep doing so. So I have the right to complain and have my say."

so its not about speaking with your wallet. its the same apple/microsoft/otherbigname fanboy mentality - "bleee apple is shit, they sold out, i will never buy it" -> "omg omg new iphone INSTABOUGHT!!!111" -> "what a shitty iphone, this company is the devil".

if any of these unhappy individuals half meant what they said and were as unhappy as they claim to be they would backup their games and leave the platform if it's so bad. if they dont it means they either overreact or its indeed so bad but they simply enjoy being beaten with a stick by this bad evil gog corporation
Post edited May 12, 2015 by d2t
YaTEdiGo: What the hell you did with the library? I am so happy with the website lately, but please, don´t do these things, I have the games organized in my OWN WAY, and now I can only have them organized by title and purchase date...

SERIOUSLY...
I hope too they can re-introduce the manual sorting. Somehow they had problems with it. Maybe they aren't that good programmers or they are short on manpower.

What you could do in the meanwhile is custom tagging at least. Define tags for favorite series and then filter by them.

Btw. Does anyone know if Steam allows manual sorting of the games?
Post edited May 12, 2015 by Trilarion
Siilk: Good luck custom sorting the library using tags. Will take you ages to tag every game and then ages more to change tags when you will have to put a new game in the middle of the list. Oh, but wait, you can't even do that. Because there's no tag sorting.
Filterering. Filtering was the correct term, sorry. And yes, it'll take time to organize but I'll probably find time to do just that eventually and it will help me navigate the library tremendously, the implementation of tags is definitely a lot better than on Steam already.

Siilk: And how about trying to go through all the pages to see what exactly you have in your collection? Not so easy, huh? Lot more clicking and waiting for the page to load, all of a sudden?
Actually, I found the GOG's implementation of seamless loading ... Weird on the shelf display. I'm not a fan of paging of the list display tho, it's not like it could ever grow that long and fulltext searching is good (that didn't work with the seamless loading either and I never know what was and what wasn't loaded, so pff)

Siilk: Of which I see none that were worthy of butchering other completely unrelated functionality.
Oh that's unrelated, I'm just glad it's finally there. Took them bloody 7 years to implement.

Siilk: A good 80% of games I bought here were bought solely out of sentimental value as a collector's item, with no real intention to play them in any foreseable future.
It's your money, I mean I have no right telling you what to do and how to approach life really and while I never understood collectors, I always respected them. However, is a digital storefront really a good place to do what you're describing? Just from purely practical standpoint I mean. First of all, at any point in time they can change the layout - just as they have proven right here and now. GOG wants to introduce skins, but ... Well ... You know, might not change much. Similarily, at any given point in time, GOG can just stop existing and your virtual shelf suddenly vanishes. The way I understand it, when someone collects something, that someone wants the collection to last, which is direct opposite of what internet and cloud functionality often stands for.

If I were to recommned you way to actually have a collection, it's either buying actual, physical copies or backing those purchased games on a harddrive and using some form of virtual shelf software. It allows you full control over your shelf, without having to depend on whims of an online store, and you can add other games than just those from GOG. I'm not sure about it, there's online tool specialized precisely for this purpose over here but that can end up precisely like GOG, then there's stuff like CGstar - however, you'd probably need to put some research into finding the ideal tool

Trilarion: Btw. Does anyone know if Steam allows manual sorting of the games?
Nope. Never did.
Post edited May 12, 2015 by Fenixp
A couple neat ideas for GOG dudes and dudettes in the web department (I'm a web developer myself). This is like so not corporate and rad and I think no one has ever done this. I witnessed so much of this "upgrade rage": iOS 6 to 7 upgrade, Facebook, VK "wall" retirement (in Russia), etc, etc the list can go on forever.

I call this feature "Communist A/B Testing", because it's so for the masses:

1) Create a tab called "My GOSH!" which stands for "My Good Old Shelf" (like in "Good Old Games"). Dump all the games there from the library without taking into account paging, pop in the manual sorting value to sort by, disable all the filters except search (provided they didn't drop it from the database). Pop in the black or wood grain bg back. Disable the "down arrow" dropdown, keep the rest (the slide down panel) intact. Saying that the new design makes your eyes bled IS overreacting, sorry guys.
2) Place a counter on top of the new shelf saying "This page has been used: by N% users today, M% last week, L % last month, we will retire this page after the monthly counter drops below 3%."
3) Place similar counter on the new page: "This page has been used: by N% users today, M% last week, L % last month, my gosh! (he he) this is popular!"

Keep the original page with manual sorting if it stays popular, get rid of it if not. Manual sorting, page bg, dropdown menu - very minor issues in the web dev world. Make manual sorting work flawlessly and have the filters at the same time - not so much. This is a huge and nasty can of worms I personally wouldn't dare to look into.

Basically it boils down to changing 1 attribute for getting all data (disable paging), hiding a couple new features and developing a new radio button for background change - not a huge deal at all IMO.

The statistics thing is more complex, but not impossible, I guess.
Post edited May 12, 2015 by l3l3l5l
high rated
bad_fur_day1: That's a confirmed two sales lost for Gog because of the "awesome" new shelf design. I suspect there will be a few more before this is done.
I'm a strong believer in the "vote with your wallet" philosophy (that's why I don't use steam), so you can add me to the list.
YaTEdiGo: It´s named ¨criticism through consumerism¨ and it works, check what happened to the XBOX ONE vs the PS4.
d2t: this is the most hilarious post in this thread. sorry to break your bubble but what is happening in this thread is criticism by circlejerk: group of regular complainers who complain about everything gog does and how shit company this is on every occasion. so you would guess if gog is so bad they would leave, yes? but they remain on the website, buy more games and just spread "bleh this is shit" everywhere. just look at the high rated post from this thread from one vocal complainer:

"After all, I leave my money here. I plan to keep doing so. So I have the right to complain and have my say."

so its not about speaking with your wallet. its the same apple/microsoft/otherbigname fanboy mentality - "bleee apple is shit, they sold out, i will never buy it" -> "omg omg new iphone INSTABOUGHT!!!111" -> "what a shitty iphone, this company is the devil".

if any of these unhappy individuals half meant what they said and were as unhappy as they claim to be they would backup their games and leave the platform if it's so bad. if they dont it means they either overreact or its indeed so bad but they simply enjoy being beaten with a stick by this bad evil gog corporation
Talk to the hand

¨ If I were to recommned you way to actually have a collection, it's either buying actual, physical copies or backing those purchased games on a harddrive ¨

Thanks! Many of us we already have most part of the GOG games in A REAL collection. Next...

bad_fur_day1: That's a confirmed two sales lost for Gog because of the "awesome" new shelf design. I suspect there will be a few more before this is done.
Fuz: I'm a strong believer in the "vote with your wallet" philosophy (that's why I don't use steam), so you can add me to the list.
High Five
high rated
I hope the web "designers" are going to give you a discount Gog.