It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

No Man's Sky – One Year Anniversary

Today marks the one year anniversary of <span class="bold">No Man's Sky</span>
In the past year, the Hello Games team has been hard at work addressing community feedback and rolling out new content to the No Man's Sky experience. We've gotten new game modes and exciting survival mechanics, base building, vehicles, expanded trading and crafting, massive personal freighters and so much more than we could ever list here.

Today marks the <span class="bold">No Man's Sky</span> anniversary, and Hello Games are bringing a slew of new content in the Atlast Rises< update – and a 60% off sale, the best deal there has been so far!

So what's cool about Atlas Rises?
New Story Mode – in a complete overhaul to the original story, you'll set off on a 20-hour journey across the universe and discover Portals, allowing you to travel vast distances extremely quickly.
Improved Trading – plot and optimize your trade routes in the new trading metagame, born thanks to unique socio-economic traits in each star system and an overhauled galactic map.
Missions and New Faction System – procedurally generated missions add a layer of replayability as you earn rewards and respect on your journeys.
Better Biomes – from rare, extreme and abstract biomes, through improved existing biomes, there's a lot more to see on your journey.
More, including improved space combat, terraforming, farming, as well as new ships, a new faction, and more.

One year later, No Man's Sky has grown immensely bigger and richer and content – this is an amazing time to go back, or finally enter its infinite universe.

The anniversary sale will last until August 16, 4 PM UTC.
CharlesGrey: You can customize a ship's functionality, but not its appearance -- or at least you couldn't do that in the old version of the game. I don't know if they have some simple cosmetics customization now, such as custom colors/paint jobs.
groze: You're right, I may have answered OdanUrr too soon and impulsively. No, you can't customize your ship, cosmetics-wise, and you can't "craft" one from the start.

Still, there *is* a single player story mode (a pretty hefty one, at that, all things considered), and you *can* customize your ship -- and vehicles -- a whole lot, but only from a functionality standpoint (minor appearance tweaks, but nothing really worth mentioning). You also get to buy and find new ships as you go further into the game and the story, even ranging in vessel class, too, but you cannot build any of those from the ground up.

Planet Nomads seems to be more in line with what you're looking for, but it's still In Dev/Early Access, and apparently a lot of reviewers complain about some blatant unfinished aspects of it (which, well, can be excused, I guess, since the game is still being developed). You don't seem to be able to fly ships, but you can definitely build your own vehicles. And I haven't heard anything mentioned about a story, either; it seems to be just a crafting/exploration/survival game. Still worth taking a look at, I think, if you like games like No Man's Sky.
Thanks for the answers! I'll do a little more research before I take the plunge.
low rated
Now lets necro the orginal post and see how many names here praising the game were the same trolling screaming for games blood at release? I know TinyEram was part of that but now plays his steam bought version more than any other game.

-170 down votes for sticking up for this game almost alone.
Post edited August 13, 2017 by Regals
anothername: Does anyone knows/tried if that finally involves naming the Explorer? Last time I checked he/she/it still run along with my gog forum name. Totally kills the game for me.
Im not using Galaxy, and my name is just Explorer. If that sounds more appealing to you than anothername, try using the classic installer instead of the Galaxy one.
Regals: Now lets necro the orginal post and see how many names here praising the game were the same trolling screaming for games blood at release? I know TinyEram was part of that but now plays his steam bought version more than any other game.

I'm downvoting you because you're a douche canoe. And I still think NMS is way overpriced. o.O
Regals: Now lets necro the orginal post and see how many names here praising the game were the same trolling screaming for games blood at release? I know TinyEram was part of that but now plays his steam bought version more than any other game.

richlind33: I'm downvoting you because you're a douche canoe. And I still think NMS is way overpriced. o.O
Blame Sony as they are the ones that wanted it to be rushed.
high rated
We need a way to sort reviews by date.

Before buying a game. I look at various sources to determine gamers' opinion of a game and one of those sources are the user reviews on GOG.

Currently, I wanted to see if the updates changed people's perspective on the game (the way it did for Slain), but the reviews are not sorted by date, most of them are from shortly after the release and there are 109 pages of review to sift through!
anothername: Does anyone knows/tried if that finally involves naming the Explorer? Last time I checked he/she/it still run along with my gog forum name. Totally kills the game for me.
Remind me again why you don't just email GOG support and get your named changed? It's only going to get worse for you as more games include Galaxy online play. It's pretty typical for a game to use an account name for online play, this is actually pretty standard practice.
BKGaming: Remind me again why you don't just email GOG support and get your named changed? It's only going to get worse for you as more games include Galaxy online play. It's pretty typical for a game to use an account name for online play, this is actually pretty standard practice.
For what its worth, I think its a great name. Much better than my generic one.
Magnitus: We need a way to sort reviews by date.

Before buying a game. I look at various sources to determine gamers' opinion of a game and one of those sources are the user reviews on GOG.

Currently, I wanted to see if the updates changed people's perspective on the game (the way it did for Slain), but the reviews are not sorted by date, most of them are from shortly after the release and there are 109 pages of review to sift through!
There is a way, it's called Adalia Fundamentals
BKGaming: Remind me again why you don't just email GOG support and get your named changed? It's only going to get worse for you as more games include Galaxy online play. It's pretty typical for a game to use an account name for online play, this is actually pretty standard practice.
Same reason as before; its a rad name for a forum which on top is nearly 10y old. But, as you see; I tried. Its impossible to find something great, good or mediocre which is not already taken or uses "illicit" stuff like one empty space. Well... its made for forum account names; not for game character names so I don't blame gog. *sigh* I'll try to get the two titles which uses my account name without asking moved to that one. My hope is slim but at least I tried. And I found a name I could live with in a scifi game. *cough* lousy underscore :p

MobiusArcher: For what its worth, I think its a great name. Much better than my generic one.
Thanks, but yours really would be a better choice for an astronaut than mine (well, prime account mine). :)
Antares_A.E.: Same reason as before; its a rad name for a forum which on top is nearly 10y old. But, as you see; I tried. Its impossible to find something great, good or mediocre which is not already taken or uses "illicit" stuff like one empty space. Well... its made for forum account names; not for game character names so I don't blame gog. *sigh* I'll try to get the two titles which uses my account name without asking moved to that one. My hope is slim but at least I tried. And I found a name I could live with in a scifi game. *cough* lousy underscore :p

MobiusArcher: For what its worth, I think its a great name. Much better than my generic one.
Antares_A.E.: Thanks, but yours really would be a better choice for an astronaut than mine (well, prime account mine). :)
Thats me; for those who might be curious.
Post edited August 14, 2017 by anothername
Greetings Gog!

this message is for the developers!

I'm glad to see that you guys learned from the mistakes and quitely worked on an update that reflects the players desire instead of running away with the money to "Las Vegas". I'm apreciate your decision about that.

Atlas Rises is a solid update which I hope can help you to fix your reputation in the industry. But...

Don't forget that the reason so many people still care (including me) of your product, its because the idea is great, the game feels uniqe and we all believe that this can be something trully a great experience (even for the whole industry). And it's getting close ;).

But what I would like to see as well, is to have the ability to costumise the ship + physics. Deform it to have larger cargo and larger engines to keep control of it. It is obvious how much work you guys put in to make the flying an experience for the 1.31 and well done! but imagine the excitemant that a costumisation with different properties can generate. Maybe it is toug to make it happen but I'm sure it would bring you back to the spotlight. "PROCEDURAL FLYING PHYSICS". I'm gaming and following the industry for more than 20 years and the games that standing out (according my observation) is the ones with uniqe gameplay mechanics. I'm sure you know, just a reminder.

Thank you for the Atlas update and keep up the hard and good work.
GOG.com: No Man's Sky – One Year Anniversary

Today marks the one year anniversary of <span class="bold">No Man's Sky</span>
In the past year, the Hello Games team has been hard at work addressing community feedback and rolling out new content to the No Man's Sky experience. We've gotten new game modes and exciting survival mechanics, base building, vehicles, expanded trading and crafting, massive personal freighters and so much more than we could ever list here.

Today marks the <span class="bold">No Man's Sky</span> anniversary, and Hello Games are bringing a slew of new content in the Atlast Rises< update – and a 60% off sale, the best deal there has been so far!

So what's cool about Atlas Rises?
New Story Mode – in a complete overhaul to the original story, you'll set off on a 20-hour journey across the universe and discover Portals, allowing you to travel vast distances extremely quickly.
Improved Trading – plot and optimize your trade routes in the new trading metagame, born thanks to unique socio-economic traits in each star system and an overhauled galactic map.
Missions and New Faction System – procedurally generated missions add a layer of replayability as you earn rewards and respect on your journeys.
Better Biomes – from rare, extreme and abstract biomes, through improved existing biomes, there's a lot more to see on your journey.
More, including improved space combat, terraforming, farming, as well as new ships, a new faction, and more.

One year later, No Man's Sky has grown immensely bigger and richer and content – this is an amazing time to go back, or finally enter its infinite universe.

The anniversary sale will last until August 16, 4 PM UTC.
Post edited August 14, 2017 by Ongeratto
haha I wouldn't spend a dime on this pos.
bouncedk: haha I wouldn't spend a dime on this pos.
This "pos" has absolutely nothing to do with what it was when it released; it's a way better game than it was, and it keeps getting better.

It's your right to not spend any money on it, though, and you're also entitled to not like the game -- after all, different people like different games and different genres, and that's OK. What's not OK, though, is calling something you don't like a "piece of shit" when you probably haven't even tried it, or have no interest in doing so.

I absolutely hate Divine Divinity and Outcast (1.1), but I wouldn't call any of those games a "piece of shit", they're just not for me.

A lot of people could enjoy No Man's Sky, if it wasn't for the controversy surrounding it, or the bias that almost everyone seems to have developed towards it, and though I personally don't think the game is worth the base price Hello Games sells it for (and I paid the full price), it's most definitely worth it with this 60% off discount. *If* you like this sort of game. But that should go without saying.
Yea. The sale got me to finally buy the game. I was pretty sure I was just throwing money away. It turns out the game is pretty fun though. The things I like about it do seem to have been added with the various updates, so I can see where it would have been terrible when it launched. Its not now though. Its not the super awesome, revolutionary game it was supposed to be, but its well above average.