It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

low rated
Swedrami: Why don't we put the original Warcraft III: Reign of Chaos + The Frozen Throne as well as Legacy Diablo II + Lord of Destruction on GoG too, and make them turn the same decent eurodollars as well? And re-release the rest of Blizzard's back catalogue on GoG while we're at it?
AB2012: You won't see legacy Diablo 2 here for the same reason you won't see legacy Skyrim, legacy Age of Empires or 101x other games for which the publishers are charging 4-10x more for a remaster. They simply won't sell a game for $5-10 here if they can sell a remaster for $30-$40 on all the big sites, which for Diablo 2 Resurrected isn't going to be here at all because of newly added DRM / online requirements. Remaster-itus with "enhanced online content" is fast becoming as hostile to 'digital' availability / preservation of classic / originals as DRM itself, and if you want Diablo 2 Legacy DRM-Free then definitely grab it on disc whilst you can (the disc check was removed in patch v1.12).

arrua: Hope they buy Ubisoft and EAgames too.
AB2012: I don't even see any of this making any positive difference to the GOG audience for reasons mentioned above. Microsoft are no better than Ubisoft when it comes to adding in multiple layers of DRM even to 25 year old games, eg, Age of Empires 1 = Steam or MS Store client check + "All versions require Arxan Anti-Tamper DRM" (Microsoft's equivalent of Denuvo)...
yep those remasters are horrible for gaming, i dislike them nearly as much as anime vn-s
low rated
StingingVelvet: However the AAA space isn't going anywhere, we know that from sales and subscriber numbers, and being fine without a new Fallout and ignoring an existing new Fallout are two very different things. When confronted with a shiny thing they really want, most people... not you, maybe not me, but most people... will bend.
Very true. I have seen some backlash when it comes to movies, but not enough when it comes to gaming. Hopefully as these companies inevitably keep getting greedier and providing worse products, people will start to realize. I think a lot of that would require breaking herd conformity though. Many people will engage with media they don't even like simply to be part of the watercooler conversation, for instance. I don't think games are much different in that respect. It is "cool" or "acceptable" to play some games, but not others.
Swedrami: Why don't we put the original Warcraft III: Reign of Chaos + The Frozen Throne as well as Legacy Diablo II + Lord of Destruction on GoG too, and make them turn the same decent eurodollars as well? And re-release the rest of Blizzard's back catalogue on GoG while we're at it?
AB2012: You won't see legacy Diablo 2 here for the same reason you won't see legacy Skyrim, legacy Age of Empires or 101x other games for which the publishers are charging 4-10x more for a remaster. They simply won't sell a game for $5-10 here if they can sell a remaster for $30-$40 on all the big sites, which for Diablo 2 Resurrected isn't going to be here at all because of newly added DRM / online requirements. Remaster-itus with "enhanced online content" is fast becoming as hostile to 'digital' availability / preservation of classic / originals as DRM itself, and if you want Diablo 2 Legacy DRM-Free then definitely grab it on disc whilst you can (the disc check was removed in patch v1.12).
But by that logic they'd be stupid to not at least sell the Legacy version on GoG if the remastered version, for obvious reasons can not be sold here.
Hard to believe they'd not want to repeat what Diablo + Hellfire achieved in terms of sales figures which, going by its rank in the alltime-bestsellers list should equate to at least 1 million(?) sold copies, maybe even double that.
Post edited January 19, 2022 by Swedrami
Gede: - ownership of the IP. That allows them to create new games. Maybe even try a movie deal or something?
No idea if that's what they'll go for, but to me this was immediately my first thought. Yeah, the Warcraft movie bombed (kind of) but these are still IPs worth a second fortune if turned into franchises in other media. I can easily see Starcraft being "the next big thing" on Netflix or Amazon Prime, Call of Duty hitting the big screen with Michael Bay in the director's chair... hell, they could make a Carbot-style animated comedy show for Netflix and it could do well.
Orkhepaj: EA is probably too big for them
Microsoft's net income is more than sufficient to buy EA.
Gede: - ownership of the IP. That allows them to create new games. Maybe even try a movie deal or something?
Breja: No idea if that's what they'll go for, but to me this was immediately my first thought. Yeah, the Warcraft movie bombed (kind of) but these are still IPs worth a second fortune if turned into franchises in other media.
I had totally forgotten there was a Warcraft movie!

Now, here is what I think to be the problem with games-based movies: the story and plot serve only the gameplay. It is gameplay that makes or breaks the game.
However, on movies (books, series) the story should serve the characters. You can make a successful movie without good characters (action movies like The Fast and the Furious) but I would argue against them being a good movies.

I remember being a kid and hating seeing when a movie's take on some franchise to be too different from what I knew. I wanted to see a simple transposition to the big screen. But as I became more mature I started to understand that that take was the right thing to do. (I'm not talking about movies based on videogames; I'm not sure any of those was even decent).

Is it possible to pull off? Certainly. But the screenwriters need to take a few steps back and risk alienating the silly kids that expect to see their games on the big screen. They will complain that too many liberties were taken. But if you take one additional step back... then the IP only matters for marketing. It is a difficult thing to balance, I think.
Even for the earlier versions, you can disable the disc check with a version switcher, like this:
https://github.com/fearedbliss/Cactus

So you can play even the pre-expansion versions without a disc. Just recently did a playthrough of 1.05 using this.
idbeholdME: Even for the earlier versions, you can disable the disc check with a version switcher, like this:

So you can play even the pre-expansion versions without a disc. Just recently did a playthrough of 1.05 using this.
Oh, this is great! Many thanks for the reference.

I wish there was some place where you could lookup info on a game a find a list of good mods and add-ons.
idbeholdME: Even for the earlier versions, you can disable the disc check with a version switcher, like this:

Nice, useful for mod specific version requirements!
MysterD: I would guess Microsoft would instead give gamers a Microsoft-version just for Xbox for PC client-app, to keep gamers into their Xbox for PC Client-app and its ecosystem.
bluethief: Would people be willing to trade Battle.net for Xbox app, though? I haven't used one or another, but from what I read, it seems to me people really dislike the Xbox app.
Battle.net is Win32 therefor it actually at least functions some of the time unlikely the buggy ass UWP Windows Store (which is Win 10/11 exclusive too)
Xbox got achievements though
That's why they should just move to Steam but you're right if they did that they'd probably wanna push their own instead of Steam. I honestly wouldn't be surprised if once they got enough Game Pass subs and they wanna go all in on it, they just delisted all their games from Steam so you're forced to rent them.
bluethief: This is insane!!

However something just came up in my mind: now that Microsoft owns both id and Raven, Wolfenstein 2009 and Heretic II can come back from publishing/licences hell.
And maybe Raven can become what it once was, and not a cod supportive studio.

Hopefully it's not wishfull thinking.
One of the only reasons I think this is a good thing is that we may get some of those older games back on storefronts.
I'm not sure if they'd actually let Raven make Singularity 2 and stuff but the old games coming back is good enough for me and more realistic than expecting MS to invest in dead IPs when they can just milk COD.
Post edited January 22, 2022 by tyl0413
Gede: Now, here is what I think to be the problem with games-based movies: the story and plot serve only the gameplay. It is gameplay that makes or breaks the game.
However, on movies (books, series) the story should serve the characters. You can make a successful movie without good characters (action movies like The Fast and the Furious)
You forgot about one important nuance. Good action movies rely on spectacle and stunts. But the thing is, looking at stunts and spectacular moments can never be as exilirating and engaging as participation in stunts and making spectacle yourself. And that's why action movie based on a game could never match the game itself, where you feel like you are the character that performs all the tricks.

And thus, I agree with you, that game adaptation should focus on characters and the world lore, showing things that in the game wouldn't get much focus. And what proves it better than anything else is that there are very few good movies based on games, but there are many good series based on games - Sonic the Hedgehog, Higurashi, Arcane, and other series that have enough time to show characters and other things in depth. Even not very good series, like Castlevania have bright moments, when they explore something that was mentioned in games but didn't get a spotlight (like Dracula's relationship with LIsa).
Post edited January 22, 2022 by LootHunter
StingingVelvet: As someone who mostly plays RPGs and plays them for a long time until they are finished (and who also replays a lot of older games), subscriptions taking over will surely cost me way more money and be way more inconvenient. Having to subscribe to play Fallout 5 for example, a real possibility by the time that game comes out, would cost me way more than $60 over time and also annoy the hell out of me for DRM/ownership reasons.
I have exactly the same problem. I spend a lot of time with what ultimately boils down to a select few titles. Sometimes something new comes along and gets itself added to the collection but the principal remains the same. The only use Game Pass would have for me is to find those games at a smaller expense. Actually then buying them would still be necessary for me though.

I wonder what will happen with future Fallout and Elder Scrolls titles now that MS have all these studios and their respective talents to draw from?
LootHunter: And thus, I agree with you, that game adaptation should focus on characters and the world lore, showing things that in the game wouldn't get much focus. And what proves it better than anything else is that there are very few good movies based on games, but there are many good series based on games - Sonic the Hedgehog, Higurashi, Arcane, and other series that have enough time to show characters and other things in depth.
To be honest, I don't know the series you mention; but I believe in what you are saying. It makes sense.

I do wonder if anyone, at some time, tried to develop the interactive and non-interactive entertainment side-by-side. It would be a big gamble.
Gede: I do wonder if anyone, at some time, tried to develop the interactive and non-interactive entertainment side-by-side. It would be a big gamble.
You mean as distinct parts of one big project, rather than one being an adaptation of the other? It's been tried a few times. Shadows of the Empire comes to mind.

[url=https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/Star_Wars:_Shadows_of_the_Empire]https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/Star_Wars:_Shadows_of_the_Empire[/url]

Sorry, for some reason the forum just won't let me post a working link. >sigh<
Post edited January 23, 2022 by Breja
bluethief: Would people be willing to trade Battle.net for Xbox app, though? I haven't used one or another, but from what I read, it seems to me people really dislike the Xbox app.
tyl0413: Battle.net is Win32 therefor it actually at least functions some of the time unlikely the buggy ass UWP Windows Store (which is Win 10/11 exclusive too)
Xbox got achievements though
That's why they should just move to Steam but you're right if they did that they'd probably wanna push their own instead of Steam. I honestly wouldn't be surprised if once they got enough Game Pass subs and they wanna go all in on it, they just delisted all their games from Steam so you're forced to rent them.
bluethief: This is insane!!

However something just came up in my mind: now that Microsoft owns both id and Raven, Wolfenstein 2009 and Heretic II can come back from publishing/licences hell.
And maybe Raven can become what it once was, and not a cod supportive studio.

Hopefully it's not wishfull thinking.
tyl0413: One of the only reasons I think this is a good thing is that we may get some of those older games back on storefronts.
I'm not sure if they'd actually let Raven make Singularity 2 and stuff but the old games coming back is good enough for me and more realistic than expecting MS to invest in dead IPs when they can just milk COD.
Steam has you renting already bud. Kinda why we chill at gog. Customers shouldnt feel priviledged to rent with a few owned games. Customers should feel reasonably confident thay they actually own the product they paid for.

I correct my own comment....we shouldnt even have to think about "if" we own what we pay for. That just sucks a big company makes millions of customers think about such a thing at all.