It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

I didn't know where else to post this, but did you guys know that you can play Steam games and download Steam games at the same time :o

Holy cow, just saw this tonight while checking out some stuff in a game's properties menu. That was my biggest issue with Steam, well, besides the DRM, but there you go.

The More You Know♒★
Just a reminder: Steam is DRM.
Immoli: Just a reminder: Steam is DRM.
Just a reminder: Read the post before replying to save yourself from looking like an idiot.
Just a reminder: No.
Since the Gothic Universe is on sale on Steam...

What ones carry CEG, if any of them actually do?
Steam's a delivery service.
It's up to game dev's, pub's, and/or Steam if they want to use CEG and/or 3rd party DRM on it.

CEG is the DRM component of Steam.
Not all games on Steam contain CEG.
And if it also does NOT contain any other 3rd party crap - well, it's essentially DRM-FREE.

Some games from Steam indeed work, save locally, and whatnot w/out Steam ever running in the background.
Just run the EXE or whatever part is unprotected - and it'll work.
Always worth looking into this stuff - to see what version might be the best version for you.

Some games, you can even just copy the game-folder into another folder that's not within Steam\Common folder, just boot it up - and yep, it's good to go.
Post edited July 04, 2014 by MysterD
Steam and DRM free in the same sentence = oxymoron
malevesque: Steam and DRM free in the same sentence = oxymoron
Steam is not a facilitator of the DRM-free revolution.
malevesque: Steam and DRM free in the same sentence = oxymoron
Actually, it's more like a paradox.
At 1st glance - sure, it looks like Steam's DRM.
But, upon further + deeper inspection and investigation - it's CEG that's the DRM; not all games come w/ CEG.

I can download Wizardry 8 from Steam; copy the files to a Non-Steam folder that it belongs in to work (C:\Wiz8) [since it don't work w/ Steam overlay, currently]; boot the game - and it's good to go. Saves locally and everything.

I can keep my game-folder files + save folder backed-up just in case; and I'll always be good to go, no matter if Steam's alive or dead.
Post edited July 05, 2014 by MysterD
Stop having this dumb argument in this thread. The people who troll this thread know about copying the files, they don't care, they consider a client to be DRM in general. Nothing is going to change their mind. Stop bothering.
StingingVelvet: Stop having this dumb argument in this thread. The people who troll this thread know about copying the files, they don't care, they consider a client to be DRM in general. Nothing is going to change their mind. Stop bothering.
I don't change my mind when I am right. Not my fault if you are wrong and have you head up your ass.

Instead of calling people troll, why don't you come up with facts, but that is probably too hard for you?

Terraria is DRM free and will not work without Steam. I am certain there are many other examples but this is the one that comes to mind.

Dragon Age has THREE DRM one on top of the other, Securom, Origin AND STEAM ... if that is what you call DRM free then it must be nice on your lala land planet.

Steam does not care about DRM free or DRM as a matter of fact. They will distribute whatever they are paid for as long as it works and does not generate too many support tickets. In the process, they will do whatever is necessary to limit piracy and locking to steam whenever possible since it limits script kiddies and complicates the crackers life. Games will still end up on torrents but will have greater chances to be broken if they are linked to Steam cloud and multiplayer platform. This is how Steam thinks and manages distribution.

End of story, no debate to have here.
I don't have Terraria, if anyone else does please check to make sure it doesn't work (follow all the steps in wiki), and remove it if it doesn't work. Or I'll remove it, just let me know.

Oh, and no need to respond to agitators- it's not like the Steam DRM-free games stop working if someone is unconvinced, so who gives a fuck.

edit: also added new games that were mentioned in this thread.
Post edited July 05, 2014 by cmdr_flashheart
cmdr_flashheart: I don't have Terraria, if anyone else does please check to make sure it doesn't work (follow all the steps in wiki), and remove it if it doesn't work. Or I'll remove it, just let me know.

Oh, and no need to respond to agitators- it's not like the Steam DRM-free games stop working if someone is unconvinced, so who gives a fuck.

Terraria/Steam/Windows is NOT and never was DRMfree. (-->Strawman argument from the poster above you)Tested this myself years ago.

Neither Gamersgate nor HumbleStore seem to have it anymore. I got it DRM free in a Humble Bundle iirc, but I don't know where you could get it DRMfree currently.
malevesque: I don't change my mind when I am right. Not my fault if you are wrong and have you head up your ass.
Steam does have DRM-Free games, for example Carmageddon: Max Pack (should be out for everyone in a few days, already there for Carmageddon: Reincarnation early buyers (or backers). See the 2 screenshots, comparison between GOG version and Steam version.
And yes, it is the same one that was prepared by GOG.

That doesn't mean that Steam only has DRM-Free games, but there are DRM-Free games on Steam. This thread is here to help identify them.

P.S. I think Carmageddon: Max Pack can be added to the DRM-Free list, though it is a DOSBox game, so it's probably included already.
Attachments:
1.png (136 Kb)
2.png (165 Kb)
JMich: P.S. I think Carmageddon: Max Pack can be added to the DRM-Free list, though it is a DOSBox game, so it's probably included already.
It isn't yet.
cmdr_flashheart: I don't have Terraria, if anyone else does please check to make sure it doesn't work (follow all the steps in wiki), and remove it if it doesn't work. Or I'll remove it, just let me know.

Dolantin: Terraria/Steam/Windows is NOT and never was DRMfree. (-->Strawman argument from the poster above you)Tested this myself years ago.

Neither Gamersgate nor HumbleStore seem to have it anymore. I got it DRM free in a Humble Bundle iirc, but I don't know where you could get it DRMfree currently.
Thanks good to know

@Carmageddon: can't find Steam store listing. This is the only mention of it I can find,
http://steamcommunity.com/games/Carmageddon_Reincarnation/announcements/detail/1838908497789710466