It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Arkose: Any Steam game that can launch without Steam but still needs other activation/authentication isn't DRM-free; it is, at best, Steam-free.
Indeed. It is also very much possible to implement DRM without using any client(s) at all.
RafaelLopez: 1. Is it needed to have the Steam client app installed on my computer in order to download, install or run these games at least once before taking the game folder to a different machine?
2. If not all, can you please point me to the games that don't need the Steam client at all, even for download or first installation?
3. Before becoming portable, do these games need an internet connection for validation? Understand I'm not asking if internet connection is needed to download the games (which I've seen many people are clever to point out), I want to know wether they validate ownership over the internet after downloaded, or if I can shut down all connection to the internet if I want to.

There, perhaps if someone could answer those directly instead of making excuses as to what is or isn't DRM I'd be happier and you could even paste it to the OP as a FAQ.
Kick-aha: So, I'll try to answer as far as I'm capable. Please note, that this list grew over time in an utilitarian way, so there may be some borderline cases with online activation, CD keys and such thingies.

1. You need to install the Steam client on your PC, there is no way of downloading game files without the Steam Client, because that's the way it is intended to be, as a local game library and management software. The "run at least your game one time" part is somewhat outdated, after downloading the game in the Steam Client, the game files are in your Steam folder and the "finalisation" only makes changes (or not) in the windows registry and installs needed libraries and dependencies like directX etc.

2. There won't be any games as you sadly can't download game files over the Steam web page.

3. If a game needs internet validation, it probable won't ever be portable. Do you mean by internet validation that you only can install the game on e.g. five computers? Such DRM is not on the list. "Always online" games neither. If games need validation to become offline capable, it is pointed out. And yes, after downloading the game (and sometimes running the game in the Steam Client once [maybe with internet]) you can play them without internet on any PC you'd like (as long as you use the game files you found stored in the Steam folder). That is probably the goal of the list but as always there may be mistakes.

About the topic "internet": Some games can be played offline on another PC without Steam, but the game only offers maybe 30% of the gameplay content without internet connection. If so, it's pointed out.

Oh, before I forget and if you don't already know, the list on page 1 is a bit old, a newer (and hopefully better) version can be found here.
I see. Thank you.
You can play Two Brothers without Steam and you also don't have to be online.
Anybody know if the Steam version of Spelunky is DRM-free? I'd like to get the daily challenges.
Defender's Quest at the very least works without the client running.
Okay, who's up for a challenge?

Sanctum 2 is on sale right now, and like the first Sanctum, running the game with the -nosteam trick in a command prompt launches it without the client, so it IS DRM-free. However, once you get to the title screen, no buttons function, and you're stuck at the "Press Any Key" message. Any ideas, or is this just a dead end?
pedrovay2003: Okay, who's up for a challenge?

Sanctum 2 is on sale right now, and like the first Sanctum, running the game with the -nosteam trick in a command prompt launches it without the client, so it IS DRM-free. However, once you get to the title screen, no buttons function, and you're stuck at the "Press Any Key" message. Any ideas, or is this just a dead end?
Oh, that's an issue I couldn't solve yet. Maybe I'm trying today evening again, but it's strange that all input does not work without the Steam launcher.
pedrovay2003: Okay, who's up for a challenge?

Kick-aha: Oh, that's an issue I couldn't solve yet. Maybe I'm trying today evening again, but it's strange that all input does not work without the Steam launcher.
Yeah, it is pretty messed up. I could understand save data not working without the Steam cloud (which I suspect may be the case even if Sanctum 2 CAN be played without the client), but I don't understand none of the controls working.
Okay, interesting update: I just tried the original Sanctum, and while it can still be run without Steam, a past update moved the save data from My Games to the Steam Cloud folder, meaning no progress can be saved or loaded without Steam running.
pedrovay2003: Okay, interesting update: I just tried the original Sanctum, and while it can still be run without Steam, a past update moved the save data from My Games to the Steam Cloud folder, meaning no progress can be saved or loaded without Steam running.
Isn't there an option where you can disable Steam Cloud for single games? I thought that the Steam Cloud was ever optional.
pedrovay2003: Okay, interesting update: I just tried the original Sanctum, and while it can still be run without Steam, a past update moved the save data from My Games to the Steam Cloud folder, meaning no progress can be saved or loaded without Steam running.
Kick-aha: Isn't there an option where you can disable Steam Cloud for single games? I thought that the Steam Cloud was ever optional.
AFAIK, Steam Cloud works by having the game call special functions to perform Cloud-relevant reading/writing, and then those functions take care of mapping to the right path.

My guess would be that without Steam, that mapping doesn't work (because it doesn't know if Cloud is enabled or disabled).
Kick-aha: Isn't there an option where you can disable Steam Cloud for single games? I thought that the Steam Cloud was ever optional.
You can indeed completely disable the Steam Cloud, but the save data will still save in the same Steam Cloud folder; you can only disable syncing saves to Valve's server, not changing where the data is saved, unfortunately. I'll try disabling Cloud saves for Sanctum, but I'm pretty sure it's going to go into the same profile-specific folder.
Someone kindly edit Two Worlds section to link to this post: http://www.gog.com/forum/general/list_of_drmfree_games_on_steam/post564

I've provided a simple script without needing to edit the registry manually. Hassle free installer :-)
Ganni1987: Someone kindly edit Two Worlds section to link to this post: http://www.gog.com/forum/general/list_of_drmfree_games_on_steam/post564

I've provided a simple script without needing to edit the registry manually. Hassle free installer :-)
I wanted to check the source code you provided, but IDK, 4shared never works for me so I couldn't. And I think I forgot to PM you about that...
Added Octodad: Dadliest Catch, AKA the greatest game ever made.

EDIT: The level editor (Windows only) is also DRM-free; right now, the Steam version of Octodad is the only version that has it.
Post edited February 03, 2014 by pedrovay2003