It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

jakob187: Alright. I can confirm that Fallout 3 GOTY Edition does work DRM-free. However, you have to run it through Steam at least once to activate it. After that, you can pull the folder out of the Steam folder and it will function fine.

The Steam version of Don't Starve does NOT work like this, however. It is a version specific to Steam (even has Steam in the .exe file name!).
IS THIS INFO CORRECT ?
DalekSec: X Beyond the Frontier, X Tension and X2 the Threat are also DRM free, but for some unknow reason, X3 Reunion and X3 Terran Conflict steam versions have DRM, when in retail versions the DRM has been removed years ago.
At least for some of the Steam versions, if not all, you could apparently make them DRM-free by applying the official updates from the game homepage. Or something.

But yeah, they are not DRM-free by default apparently...
Some very useful information here. Any chance there is an up-to-date list being maintained somewhere? The original post and pastebin link are almost a year out of date. (Not to seem ungrateful, I'm just curious.)
jakob187: Under a technicality, no, it will not. You have to run it once through Steam. After that, you can move it out of the Steam folder and it works just fine.

Therefore, yes, it still has SOME form of DRM that must be used on it to activate, but after that, it doesn't require Steam at all, even after you uninstall Steam.
Gersen: There are several games using 3rd parties DRM, especially those using Securom as on-line activation DRM, where you can install them and activate them through Steam, then uninstall Steam and still play them.

But it doesn't mean that they are DRM-free; it simply means that they don't use Steamwork as their DRM but use something else instead.

There are also several older games found on Origin who does that too, IRC Dead Space 1 (and maybe also ME1) where once they are installed and activated you can remove Origin and still play them. But try to move the game to another computer and you will have a nice Securom pop-up asking you to re-activate the game.
I work at a gaming center, so GOG has been a great friend for us in getting games that people can play. When you have to install 40 copies of a game to computers, DRM-free makes things much easier all around...especially with GOG's installer.

I say this because I used that one copy of Fallout 3 GOTY Edition that I bought for the store for all 40 computers that we have. In turn, if there is some limit to installations, then they do not even care about it with Fallout 3. There is GFWL, but it is not required to be used at all for the game. You don't even have to log in and you can still save. It was at a time when GFWL was still very young.

I know about SecuROM and multiple other things. Because of the old disc checks, we have to create images for the discs to run on our PCs in order for the games to operate without discs, as well as run all kinds of programs like DAEMON Tools and YASU.

I just wanted to give an update to this thread about Fallout 3 since the only thing listed in the original OP was the base game with no mention of the GOTY Edition.

Also, I did not know that about Dead Space. I've been wanting to get a Dead Space game on the computers up here, and I just so happen to own Dead Space. Time to go on a new mission!
Post edited October 05, 2013 by jakob187
ofsaturn: Some very useful information here. Any chance there is an up-to-date list being maintained somewhere? The original post and pastebin link are almost a year out of date. (Not to seem ungrateful, I'm just curious.)
Yes, there is:
Link
It's far from complete and maybe I missed a few (~2-3) games in this whole topic. Oh, the thing with the X-series is lacking.
ofsaturn: Some very useful information here. Any chance there is an up-to-date list being maintained somewhere? The original post and pastebin link are almost a year out of date. (Not to seem ungrateful, I'm just curious.)
Kick-aha: Yes, there is:
Link
It's far from complete and maybe I missed a few (~2-3) games in this whole topic. Oh, the thing with the X-series is lacking.
Dust An Elysian Tail from what I can tell, is NOT, DRM-free, though it is on the list.

Can anyone else verify Dust's DRM-ness?
fortune_p_dawg: Dust An Elysian Tail from what I can tell, is NOT, DRM-free, though it is on the list.

It's not? I don't own the game so I couldn't test it... Does the CEG start with the game?

edit: typo
Post edited October 07, 2013 by Kick-aha
Rumor says Knock Knock is DRM-free.
Can't confirm, got the installer version.
fortune_p_dawg: Dust An Elysian Tail from what I can tell, is NOT, DRM-free, though it is on the list.

Kick-aha: It's not? I don't own the game so I couldn't test it... Does the CEG start with the game?

edit: typo
It asks me to log into Steam, even after I close Steam and drag the root folder out onto the desktop.
Huh, that's clearly not DRM-free. I will delete Dust from the list.

A bit technical but i like this way: If you run your executable in the terminal, you should get lines like "[S_API FAIL] SteamAPI_Init() failed; SteamAPI_IsSteamRunning() failed." for games that require the running SteamAPI. For me this indicates ultimately if a game needs Steam or not :)
Kick-aha: Huh, that's clearly not DRM-free. I will delete Dust from the list.
Might also be that it launches Steam if it detects Steam installed on the system, but runs stand-alone otherwise - in which case it IS DRM-free. I don't know if this is the case with this game (or, truth be told, with any game), but the only reliable test for DRM-freeness is a Steam-free and network-disconnected machine (virtual or not)
Post edited October 07, 2013 by Maighstir
Kick-aha: Yes, there is:
Link
Awesome, thank you so much!
I'm glad we have a wiki page to update this list! I just added the Mac version of Telltale's The Walking Dead, which seems to work great without Steam (but doesn't load the 400 Days DLC).
Also, for anyone interested, HOLY CRAP, ALL THE HALF-LIFE GAMES ARE DRM-FREE. I don't know why I didn't test them before, but they are (the Source ones, at least -- the original releases still require Steam).

HALF-LIFE 2: Just run hl2.exe
HALF-LIFE 2: EPISODE ONE: In a command window, run "hl2.exe -game episodic" (without quotes)
HALF-LIFE 2: EPISODE TWO: In a command window, run "hl2.exe -game ep2" (without quotes)
HALF-LIFE 2: LOST COAST: In a command window, run "hl2.exe -game lostcoast" (without quotes)
HALF-LIFE: SOURCE: In a command window, run "hl2.exe -game hl1" (without quotes)

I'm extremely happy right now.
pedrovay2003: Also, for anyone interested, HOLY CRAP, ALL THE HALF-LIFE GAMES ARE DRM-FREE. I don't know why I didn't test them before, but they are (the Source ones, at least -- the original releases still require Steam).

HALF-LIFE 2: Just run hl2.exe
HALF-LIFE 2: EPISODE ONE: In a command window, run "hl2.exe -game episodic" (without quotes)
HALF-LIFE 2: EPISODE TWO: In a command window, run "hl2.exe -game ep2" (without quotes)
HALF-LIFE 2: LOST COAST: In a command window, run "hl2.exe -game lostcoast" (without quotes)
HALF-LIFE: SOURCE: In a command window, run "hl2.exe -game hl1" (without quotes)

I'm extremely happy right now.
Great find, but someone would have to test them on a Steam-free computer. I'm a bit sceptical they'd be completely clean... (unless you did test them thusly, in which case WTF O.O)